• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annubis

I really want to start getting into CRPGs, is Divinity Original Sin a good place to start? The genre has always interested me but I usually end up getting overwhelmed by the systems and giving up.

You could start with Tyranny.
It's actually very simple so a good place to start.

If you're okay with a harsher start though Pillars of Eternity or Divinity Original Sin are both incredible games.

I really want to start getting into CRPGs, is Divinity Original Sin a good place to start? The genre has always interested me but I usually end up getting overwhelmed by the systems and giving up.

Torment: Tides of Numenera may be a great choice to start with CRPGs. You can solve everything with words (and if you get into a combat situation, you can also talk your way out most of the time) It's also quite short compared to other games in the genre (20-25 hours)
Divinity Original Sin is amazing, but the combat situations are so open that you may get a bit dizzy.

Doomedfool

Tales of Berseria's last boss at Chaos difficulty is total bullshit.
Thank god the internet told me how to win that fight using equally abusive bullshit (2000 focus Velvet spamming BS for perma-invincibility)

I've got 3 days until my vacation is over and then I'm likely losing my job Monday*.
So... buy Sophie and keep enjoying myself or be responsible and avoid buying games until I find work?

*I had a speech from my boss before my vacation that was very obvious about this happening

Ouch, that's not cool! I say buy Sophie and enjoy the next few days before the potential suck kicks in.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my mako nendoroid breaking really bums me out, these past four weeks have been shitty to say the least

anyways, mankind evolved kind of cheered me up a bit, it's further proof that detective quests in rpgs are the best kinds of quests there can be

Ih8BDjF.png

also i fucking want a game in which you play as montag

mankind evolved has been a parade of shitty characters and montag is like the drop of water in the desert, except this water is like freaking champagne or something

he's great

anyways, fuck

thats a mankind divided shot? damn, I need to play that

edit: wait mankind evolved? is that some sort of dlc?

Anno

It's a bit more intimidating that some I think just because of the sheer number of systems. If that interests you it's definitely one of the best, though, you'll just have to fight through it. Otherwise maybe start with something simpler but still very good like Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

I also think Pillars of Eternity can make a good introduction as well if you prefer/don't mind real time w/ pause combat.

my mako nendoroid breaking really bums me out, these past four weeks have been shitty to say the least

anyways, mankind evolved kind of cheered me up a bit, it's further proof that detective quests in rpgs are the best kinds of quests there can be

Ih8BDjF.png

mankind evolved has been a parade of shitty characters and montag is like the drop of water in the desert, except this water is like freaking champagne or something

he's great

anyways, fuck

(one of the best) side quest in the game right there

montag for president

Durante

I think to start out with the genre something a bit simpler and more focused would be better. Something like Shadowrun:Dragonfall.

Then you can move on to things like Divinity:OS or Pillars of Eternity.

Vibranium

Banned

Ih8BDjF.png

he's great

anyways, fuck

Yeah, the entire Montag questline was awesome, I loved a lot of MD's side quests, the three writers assigned to them should have written the main story (different people and it shows). A shame it will be a long time before we get to see Bob Page's Illuminati coup and Jensen's end, if ever.

Plesiades

The Video Game train keeps rollin'

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Brutal Legend -- MB-1163D82C15F121FB - Taken by White Wolf. 4 entrants total.
ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition -- MB-4680CC3584C29093 - Taken by enbred. 1 entrants total.
Poker Night 2 -- MB-4D4392CBA1C5412F - Taken by bobnowhere. 2 entrants total.
Poker Night at the Inventory -- MB-762597B1EB9CCEBE
Poker Night at the Inventory (Telltale Games DRM) -- MB-E6A4AE80187BC32A
Puzzle Agent -- MB-ED3DB0EF687EC51B

t1489112497z1.png

DOSEE is one of the best (if not the best) turn-based CRPGs, so sure. It's an incredible game with some of the best combat ever. It is intuitive, but at the same time it doesn't hold your hand either which may be frustrating. The sequel is most likely out this year and is looking to improve on everything DOSEE did, so you'll be ahead of the game if you play the first game now.

Another possibility is the Shadowrun series (Returns, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong). Just note that Returns is terrible compared to the other two, in every way; it's only worth playing first or not at all. Anyways, they're pretty straightforward turn-based games with excellent writing.

Although, if you're looking for real-time CRPGs, I'd go with Pillars of Eternity. It's not as good as Baldur's Gate's EEs IMO, but it is an excellent entry into the genre nonetheless. There's a lot of combat, but it manages to be a lot less obtuse than the D&D-based systems in Baldur's Gate.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Age -- MB-5CF9BD8978FB08C5
Grim Fandango Remastered -- MB-02ADC57009E39893 - Taken by Natty1. 4 entrants total.

t1489112786z1.png

Found a couple more.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

cmWEPrK.png

Mystery Game -- MB-8B0D28F6ED38A7A0 - Taken by 73V3N
Mystery Game #10 -- MB-AC830BFFD71F2FDA - Taken by Nabae
Mystery Game #11 -- MB-2B725D204667F280 - Taken by goat
Mystery Game #12 -- MB-0F4C01AD0FE3B8AB - Taken by SunDimension24
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-39779C28B0BC0659 - Taken by Echoplx
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-93CD04117B508200 - Taken by ThingontheFloor
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-8E00F18EC647A03A - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-F02F1F889E43B717 - Taken by Spring-Loaded
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-3662CAC6FA2B3ACB - Taken by JCG
Mystery Game #7 -- MB-9BD2BFE26F0D48E2 - Taken by laserlaser
Mystery Game #8 -- MB-A777A39D0E030075 - Taken by Volimar
Mystery Game #9 -- MB-9961AF0B519BACD2 - Taken by dot

I gave up on Tyranny because I just couldn't stand that combat after D:OS

Also while the game has a cool world it sucks that for all the "you are supposed to be this evil dude that decides fates of others", there are like 3-4 even eviler dudes who outrank you, so you basically become diet renegade Shepard.

So yeah my vote is either D:OS or Shadowrun

Annubis

Eventually, you'll want to have played all of these.

Baldur's Gate EE
Baldur's Gate 2 EE
Divinity Original Sin EE
Divinity Original Sin 2
Pillars of Eternity
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
Planescape: Torment
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tyranny

So... give or take 700 hours? More if you replay some of them.

I gave up on Tyranny because I just couldn't stand that combat after D:OS

Also while the game has a cool world it sucks that for all the "you are supposed to be this evil dude that decides fates of others", there are like 3-4 even eviler dudes who outrank you, so you basically become diet renegade Shepard.

So yeah my vote is either D:OS or Shadowrun

Ehh, Tyranny is probably the only game that really accounts for evil-axis characters in a believable way. You can be so bone-chillingly evil, while still dwarfed by the evils around you. It's a really fascinating look into the question, "What if Evil won... what then?" It is such a fantastic setting, really well-written.

And while I prefer turn-based, I think it has a better take on PoE's combat. There's less variety, but they balance out the amount of enounters way better, and do some great work with itemisation.

I'm still holding out on a Tyranny sequel/xpac.

Vamphuntr

Ehh, Tyranny is probably the only game that really accounts for evil-axis characters in a believable way. You can be so bone-chillingly evil, while still dwarfed by the evils around you. It's a really fascinating look into the question, "What if Evil won... what then?" It is such a fantastic setting, really well-written.

And while I prefer turn-based, I think it has a better take on PoE's combat. There's less variety, but they balance out the amount of enounters way better, and do some great work with itemisation.

I'm still holding out on a Tyranny sequel/xpac.

The game is pretty broken balance wise. Magic gets broken if you dump all your points in lore since you stack so many properties together that the game obviously didn't expect you would be able too. I was a magic based MC and with Lantry in the same team you can simply alternate casting the same OP spells again and again and time them so one copy is available while the other is on cooldown so you keep the enemies proned and debuffed for the whole fight. The cooldown system made it so that you can spam them every fight too. You can keep stacking all artifacts active abilities on top of all your debuffs so the game gets really easy. The battles are all the same and boring since you fight the same 4-5 enemies over and over again depending on the choice you made and all the maps while small are filled with boring thrash mobs like if the battle planner had Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V keys stuck on his keyboard.

The game is truly great for it's setting, writing and characters but it's really bad gameplay wise imo.

Kagemusha

I'm 500 miles from the nearest Publix. Had no idea what that was. It sounded like some kind of lewd anime convention where old men dress as Tingle try and snap photos.

Now I'm hungry but all I have to eat is mac n cheese.

Watched Dunkey play Zelda. Need to go back.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's a good game, and it's streamlined in pretty good ways so yeah, probably a good starter

pillars of eternity is really good for that too

if u want something a bit less traditional both dragon age origins and the witcher games are really good

divided?

i barely just started, got to prague and there's a
terrorist attack at the station
can't really comment on the quality yet. liked HR a lot though.
oh yea that's what i meant

my opinion on it so far is that it kind of feels like a big dlc for the first one

like it doesn't feel like a sprawling globetroting story like dx1 or dxhr, it's just like a smaller side story that probably won't really matter in the grand scheme of things?

thats a mankind divided shot? damn, I need to play that

edit: wait mankind evolved? is that some sort of dlc?
just the base game, i'm just bad at names

i was looking forward to this and dishonored a lot but dishonored runs like hot garbage so i played this instead

it's pretty ok if you don't waste as much time as i did just ocd exploring prague

(one of the best) side quest in the game right there

montag for president
i don't think the quest itself was that good but montag is just too likeable of a character

Yeah, the entire Montag questline was awesome, I loved a lot of MD's side quests, the three writers assigned to them should have written the main story (different people and it shows). A shame it will be a long time before we get to see Bob Page's Illuminati coup and Jensen's end, if ever.
i actually don't mind the main story that much, it mostly feels like really low stakes specially compared to dx1 and dxhr

those games were a lot larger and complex, this one feels like a side story

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Mackenzie 92, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Total War: WARHAMMER -- MB-5E2B1416974A138B - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 14 entrants total.

t1489118463z1.png

May the total waaagh never end.

Which reminds me, I still need to jump into the Grand Campaign to try out the two new factions they added recently. Bretonnia and the Vampire Counts splinter faction (Von Carstein, I think is their name).
The game is pretty broken balance wise. Magic gets broken if you dump all your points in lore since you stack so many properties together that the game obviously didn't expect you would be able too. I was a magic based MC and with Lantry in the same team you can simply alternate casting the same OP spells again and again and time them so one copy is available while the other is on cooldown so you keep the enemies proned and debuffed for the whole fight. The cooldown system made it so that you can spam them every fight too. You can keep stacking all artifacts active abilities on top of all your debuffs so the game gets really easy. The battles are all the same and boring since you fight the same 4-5 enemies over and over again depending on the choice you made and all the maps while small are filled with boring thrash mobs like if the battle planner had Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V keys stuck on his keyboard.

The game is truly great for it's setting, writing and characters but it's really bad gameplay wise imo.
Darn, I wasn't aware of this. I always wanted more lore than I had. (I also didn't finish it and lost my save, so maybe I narrowly missed this threshold).

I do think it does a much better job with item progression and such though. The items you get are just more logical and consistent than in Pillars (unless the expansions change this a lot, never played them). But when the balance is out of whack that's a bummer.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ThingontheFloor, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

t1cxE6r.gif
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide -- MB-69F5431658B253A2 - Taken by spindoctor. 7 entrants total.
Jotun -- MB-D11FDFDB383132E3 - Taken by Kudo. 5 entrants total.

t1489116432z1.png

xezuru

I keep forgetting that the new Dawn of War is in like a month.
Loved Dawn of War 2, loved Chaos Rising? I think that was the one.
But I hated the repitition of Retribution using the reinforcement groups enough to make me completely drop the game, you had less build interaction and was kind of stripped away everything I like about the former two games. That said I loved starcraft and this looks like it's going more to the route of Warcraft 3 which I also love so with the mythos and charisma of Warhammer I hope it's great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I keep forgetting that the new Dawn of War is in like a month.
Loved Dawn of War 2, loved Chaos Rising? I think that was the one.
But I hated the repitition of Retribution using the reinforcement groups enough to make me completely drop the game, you had less build interaction and was kind of stripped away everything I like about the former two games. That said I loved starcraft and this looks like it's going more to the route of Warcraft 3 which I also love so with the mythos and charisma of Warhammer I hope it's great.

Dawn of War 2 (and Chaos Rising, and Retribution) has zero building, its all hero unit based, so you are getting your Dawn of Wars mixed up

xezuru

Dawn of War 2 (and Chaos Rising, and Retribution) has zero building, its all hero unit based, so you are getting your Dawn of Wars mixed up

No I know only DoW1 had base building, what I meant to say is I hated Retribution trying to meet the half-way point of mass unit management by having throw away group units that you had to manage and by doing so they also destroyed Hero customization and made it streamlined and empty imo. DoW2 just had heroes which is fine to me when you stick to a simple concept and make sure it's deep enough to have a blast rather than trying to expand like Retribution which in pure gameplay aspects felt like it expanded into empty fluff. Warcraft 3 perfected the formula of half and half hero/basebuilding/massunits design, so hopefully DoW3 can do something similar if not better in its own way.

Being a map janitor in Dawn of War 2 is not really that fun. I'd like to hear some GAF impressions before I make any purchase decision.

It is Unreal 4 :D. The ports were already nice before, they're going to be almost perfect now :D. I wish more japanese devs moved to Unreal, would be nice.

Thats the thing I dont get though about japanese devs. Ports of small studios are mostly really really good, while big devs seem to struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom