• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

phil fish is a better person than 90% of the developers (and by extension, human beings) on this planet, just saying

I actually always felt like Fish was a little emotionally unstable (mostly from the movie - EDIT: I mean, I felt it cause of the movie, not that he's unstable cause of the movie :D ), and this led to his inability to handle criticism or generic internet shitstorms.
Anyway, IIRC he started really losing his temper and being rude after enduring plenty of shit. Then he also said some inappropriate stuff (like the Japanese devs thing) and all went awry.
But all in all, I always felt some empathy with him, as lots of times it seemed his words were received in a twisted and worse way than he actually meant. I don't like him for his smugness and pretentiousness (of his work too), but I can't say I hate him at all.

Reading around the PA case, it seems way different. Like, people asking them infos about updates after months of silence, and they answering rude shit - a thing that of course, as usual, escalates pretty quickly.

And on top of this, I must say that if you tell your customers to follow you on Twitter for updates about your game, and then you start tweeting inappropriate stuff... I mean, it's still your personal account, ok, but is - and I'm sorry to reiterate this argument again and again, but I think it's really important - waaaaay unprofessional.

Arthea

It's your choice, of course. I wasn't trying to convince you just pointing out, that it's not very logical one, but then again, it most likely seems logical to you.
Then again, only pointing out one more thing, that your example isn't fair one, he didn't insulted you personally, or did he?

Javier23

Banned
Reading around the PA case, it seems way different. Like, people asking them infos about updates after months of silence, and they answering rude shit - a thing that of course, as usual, escalates pretty quickly.
Yep, I think I might have been guilty of turning the conversation towards Fish, but I find what this (these?) guy is doing way worse.
It's your choice, of course. I wasn't trying to convince you just pointing out, that it's not very logical one, but then again, it most likely seems logical to you.
Then again, only pointing out one more thing, that your example isn't fair one, he didn't insulted you personally, or did he?
He's never picked me out to insult me personally, nor I've never even dropped him a line on Twitter (which I don't have), but I still don't feel like playing his game. At least, not now.

I'm sure it may be a quite illogical position, I won't deny that, it is just the way I feel ;)

yuraya

So do you guise think that deep silver bundle happening today? or maybe next week? I've been craving some open world single player games ever since completing sleepy doges so hopefully if the deep silver bundle does happen they throw in some saints row games :D

Lain

Not only I am not offended, but actually I agree with you. I don't know anyone making any games that I play, and the chances that I just wouldn't like them are pretty high. That pretty much extends to any business. But there is an important distinction here to make. I may go get my car fixed and then, for some reason, the guy there may have all kinds of nice words for me and my entire family up to three generations back while I'm not there to hear them. I will never know and I will just get the car back and happily be on my way. That happens all the time. Another very different thing is to go there and have the guy outright insult me when, say, I ask him to repeat himself on something. You are burned out on your job or you're just a jerkass, I don't give a damn, unless you just throw it at my face. Then know I simply won't stay there long enough to hear you ranting.

You are free to say that "gamers are the worst kind of people" in public, just don't expect me to then go and play your game. Same goes with singers who take a piss or spit on their audiences. If I'm right there under the stage after paying my ticket, unless security can stop me you're getting punched in the face.

I completely agree with you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god.
That was a good pun.

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous, I used to take those devs seriously, but looking back it's crazy that I did.
Code Avarice constantly said sites like Desura aren't paying them, that they've sent out keys to bundle sites and that the bundle site has the problem not them.

They ran a kickstarter raised $12k told backers to follow them on twitter if they wanted updates on the game and when asked about why there hasn't been an update for a 2+ months they just said that they're always working on it and that they have a life outside of coding.

And there is also this stuff which is just.. =/
I honestly don't know if they realize they are being assholes to their customers. Lying to them, offending them, using assets without giving the proper credit (though that doesn't affect customers as much as the person(s) who made the assest), only to insult them when they are called out. That's something you definitely don't want to do if you want to be taken seriously, create some goodwill, get new customers and make old ones buy your new (future) stuff. Are these guys sabotaging their own career on purpose, or can they really be so oblivious to what is (or at least should be) common sense?

This whole mess baffles me.

didamangi

So do you guise think that deep silver bundle happening today? or maybe next week? I've been craving some open world single player games ever since completing sleepy doges so hopefully if the deep silver bundle does happen they throw in some saints row games :D

GMG have a sale on GTA games if you're interested.

Li Kao

CS02.jpg

https://indiegamestand.com/store/989/chroma-squad-early-access/

A sentai T-RPG !
Oh, so it's what sex feels like.

Acccent

I actually always felt like Fish was a little emotionally unstable (mostly from the movie - EDIT: I mean, I felt it cause of the movie, not that he's unstable cause of the movie :D ), and this led to his inability to handle criticism or generic internet shitstorms.
Anyway, IIRC he started really losing his temper and being rude after enduring plenty of shit. Then he also said some inappropriate stuff (like the Japanese devs thing) and all went awry.
But all in all, I always felt some empathy with him, as lots of times it seemed his words were received in a twisted and worse way than he actually meant. I don't like him for his smugness and pretentiousness (of his work too), but I can't say I hate him at all.

Totally agree; with the bolded part especially. Keyword being 'after': first he was harassed continually and unfairly (harassment, aka internet's strongest superpower...), in part because of the japanese games thing which was largely misquoted and exaggerated by the press; and then he lost his temper – which is a human thing to do, albeit admittedly not something to look up to. But even then he 'only' insulted people, when others would have gone to far worse extremes... I mean, a non-discriminatory insult is basically the nicest you can be when you've lost your temper. He probably never was as violent as most of the comments he received daily. But I guess it still managed to hurt the feelings of poor gamers everywhere :'(

derExperte

Do what Ryan Davis did and embrace the Fish! It'll make you feel better.

Still only Riptide in the registry, I say no chance for today.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
But all in all, I guess the main problem here is that with stuff like Kickstarter or Early Access, devs simply don't feel entitled to deliver.
I don't know the terms and conditions of EA, but I guess there is nothing that dictate that, nor some economic penalties if you don't, no deadlines, no nothing. I guess it's pretty good for fair devs, but at the same time there should be some plan B in place to avoid this kind of situations that apparently are happening more and more. And not just the usual Valve refunding customers, because it just can't be a viable solution in the long term.
If this happens, I think Valve should prevent the devs from ever releasing a game on Steam again, EA or not. Sure, they can always open another account, but that would mean spending $100 more for the Greenlight fee. Though I don't know how that would work once Greenlight is gone.

You are free to say that "gamers are the worst kind of people" in public, just don't expect me to then go and play your game. Same goes with singers who take a piss or spit on their audiences. If I'm right there under the stage after paying my ticket, unless security can stop me you're getting punched in the face.
"Who was trained not to spit in the fan"

You're talking about Roger Waters, right?

Li Kao

Flash sale on Saint's Row IV on the Humble Store !
9.99€

Then again, with the amount of stuff available DLC-wise, maybe one could wait for a bundle sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just a heads up, the .50£ reward for Serious Sam : Revolution on Playfire is super easy. Just create a custom deathmatch with 1 friend and kill them 10 times in a row with the rocket launcher. Took my friend and I like 15 minutes to figure it out and get it for us both.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So, I had a nightmare, and in it DoubleFine went broke.
I've entered a whole new level of nerdness. :/
This never happened to me, but I become conscious of my nerdiness whenever I see a license plate with letters that remind me of games. For example, the other day I saw one that said "GSC" and automatically thought of Pokemon, and today I saw "NMH" and No More Heroes came to my mind.

Deques

Just a heads up, the .50£ reward for Serious Sam : Revolution on Playfire is super easy. Just create a custom deathmatch with 1 friend and kill them 10 times in a row with the rocket launcher. Took my friend and I like 15 minutes to figure it out and get it for us both.

Someone wanna help me with it? I help you too :)

Can't do it now, but maybe in 4 hours...

Acccent

This never happened to me, but I become conscious of my nerdiness whenever I see a license plate with letters that remind me of games. For example, the other day I saw one that said "GSC" and automatically thought of Pokemon, and today I saw "NMH" and No More Heroes came to my mind.

The other day it was my cousin's birthday and she's into comics so I offered her the first two volumes of Marvel's Civil War based on the suggestions of a good friend of mine who's super into them as well.

Then I had a discussion with another family member and he kept asking me questions and I answered everything, and after some point I suddenly realised that I was the person most knowledgeable about comics in the room even though I've never even read a single one and was like 'no wait I'm not a nerd I promiiiise' but it was too late I could see the snarky glint in their eyes.

Tizoc

Regarding phil fish-
Ive become sympathetic to him after watching indie game the movie. Developmen on fez took a big toll on him but i hope that being away from the vg scene will help him recover. I still think he can make fez 2 in the future but i am a blind optimist. I try not to think too much or care about his vg tweets or opinions too much too.

derExperte

I like this. No superfluous crap please.

"You have weapons. You see something that looks messed up. And you kill it. You get money for doing it and you buy better weapons. Rinse and repeat. The more enjoyable that small little loop is, the more successful the game is."

This quote reminds me somehow of Borderlands, that is based on a simple but rewarding formula; in general I'm not particularly fond of horror-themed games but since I usually enjoy the RPG-like-progression formula I may like this as well.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Regarding phil fish-
Ive become sympathetic to him after watching indie game the movie. Developmen on fez took a big toll on him but i hope that being away from the vg scene will help him recover. I still think he can make fez 2 in the future but i am a blind optimist. I try not to think too much or care about his vg tweets or opinions too much too.

Yeah, I don't think he's a bad person, I just think he's bad at handling all the hate that got sent his way, and he wound people up because of it. The volume of stuff that's been directed at him must far outweigh however much of a dick he's been to people because of it. I can't say I'd do any better in his position. I'm hoping that he's secretly working on Fez 2 and has decided to just not tell anyone about it to stay out of the public eye, but as people have said he's not the only person who'd be involved in doing it, so unless everyone else is keeping quiet too then I'm not sure how likely that'd be. But dat logo:

1ykwg.gif

One day, one day.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How is Deus Ex: HR - Dirctor's Cut?

There was a mammoth patch last month that added Mac support, but I don't know if it also moved the game to a newer build of the engine so from a quality standpoint (i.e. bugs and instability, or rather the lack thereof) it'd align with the standalone versions of DE:HR and The Missing Link.

Uzzy

How is Deus Ex: HR - Dirctor's Cut?

The boss fights are greatly improved with more options other than just shooting them, and the Missing Link DLC is a bit more integrated with the game. The graphical changes are mostly different lighting effects, which you can see in motion here.

Guys, the hype behind Guacamelee is real. Game might be one of the best platformers I've played in a long while, and it's a pretty decent metroidvania to boot. It's also got some interesting Steam Workshop stuff going for it. I'm totally playing as the fucking Tick, haha.

Also, If you haven't play Drinkbox's other games then I also highly recommend the Tales from Space series.

I kinda can't wait for Drinkbox's next game.

Anteater

Guys, the hype behind Guacamelee is real. Game might be one of the best platformers I've played in a long while, and it's a pretty decent metroidvania to boot. It's also got some interesting Steam Workshop stuff going for it. I'm totally playing as the fucking Tick, haha.

Also, If you haven't play Drinkbox's other games then I also highly recommend the Tales from Space series.

I kinda can't wait for Drinkbox's next game.

yea guacamelee was one of the better games I've played, can't really think of anything I dislike about it, if I have to nitpick it would be that some bosses could've been better, but as they are now it's still decent and incredibly fun.

I kind of wish they'd make a sequel, I'd like to see where they can take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom