• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
resonancec6z2l.png
Resonance is an incredibly good PnC game, the twist they put into the game is amazing and they handle how it's done way better than any other game I've played that tried to do the same thing.

I'm kicking myself for not getting the boxed copy of Resonance while I could, it was a super limited supply to preorder people only ;-;

Milamber

Resonance is an incredibly good PnC game, the twist they put into the game is amazing and they handle how it's done way better than any other game I've played that tried to do the same thing.

I'm kicking myself for not getting the boxed copy of Resonance while I could, it was a super limited supply to preorder people only ;-;

I guess... buying a boxed copy didn't... resonate with you.

Volimar

I keep forgetting there's a Carmageddon game on Steam. I had such a blast playing the original back in the day.

Of course i was a kid back then, and I'd like to think my tastes are a bit more refined now but...

SPLATTER BONUS!!!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm clicking around the Paranautical situation at work and this is apparently the response to them being called out on stealing assets for their game:

mbaxE6Q.png

This is the "troll post" that set him off. Dude's just hilariously psychotic.
Hahaha, where do this kind of devs come from? Seriously...

Uzzy

So I've been playing Deus Ex HR and I'm really enjoying the game.

Is it worth getting the Director's Cut? I heard the graphics are improved, and some characters models are almost PS2 level so they could use an upgrade.

I'd say it's worth it just for the expanded boss fights and DLC integration. The changes to graphics are mostly in the different lighting effects.

You can see some examples here. Got a YouTube video here too.

Phinor

Ultimate General: Gettysburg is coming to Early Access within a week or two and will be $10 (discounted, price will likely increase)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/226914718/1399468742

This was posted last night (European time) but I can't not bump post this. The gameplay video they released completely convinced me and I know almost nothing about Gettysburg. I was afraid it was going to be $40-50 title but $10 sounds a bit too low even. Regardless, buying it day 1 and adding it to my "early access" section of Steam that already has 20+ games, none of which I play because I don't play early access games.

I guess... buying a boxed copy didn't... resonate with you.
Oh god.
That was a good pun.

Hahaha, where do this kind of devs come from? Seriously...

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous, I used to take those devs seriously, but looking back it's crazy that I did.
Code Avarice constantly said sites like Desura aren't paying them, that they've sent out keys to bundle sites and that the bundle site has the problem not them.

They ran a kickstarter raised $12k told backers to follow them on twitter if they wanted updates on the game and when asked about why there hasn't been an update for a 2+ months they just said that they're always working on it and that they have a life outside of coding.

And there is also this stuff which is just.. =/

Wow. Now I feel vaguely bad I own the game somehow.

Elixist

i got the Mortal Kombat complete on the Humble store for 5 bones. Really fun. I know people said it was a good port graphically, but dang you have to see it for yourself. just a fantastic looking game and runs hella smooth for me too. Soounds like online is borked which is a shame, but i dont really like playing fighting games online anyways. Johny Cage is funny as hell. Dose sexist female char. models tho lol, i know its been a part of Mk for a long time but man it really stands out in this one with a semi believable story goin on an Sonyas huge fake tits swingin about. its making me think about droppin the 30 bucks for Injustice which i didnt really think I'd care for before playin this.

def sim

it really stands out in this one with a semi believable story goin on an Sonyas huge fake tits swingin about.

I don't know about Mortal Kombat's story being believable whatsoever! It's the silliest thing! I'd wait on Injustice, it was on sale not too long ago and we're close to summer.

Copons

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous, I used to take those devs seriously, but looking back it's crazy that I did, they'd constantly say sites like Desura aren't paying them, that they've sent out keys to bundle sites and that the bundle site has the problem not them, they ran a kickstarter raised $12k told people to follow them on twitter if they wanted updates on the game and then if asked about why there hasn't been an update for a few months they just said that they're always working on it and that they have a life outside of coding and such, and man, just poorly handled stuff all around.

The worst thing is that they can't even understand that coming out clean is always the best thing possible.
I mean, they could really have said like: "guys we have some real life problems, the development of our game will take longer than expected, we're sorry and blah blah blah", and I'm totally sure the community would have been super understanding and even supportive.
Customers are not dumb (well, most of them), and pretty much everyone knows how indie game dev is a huge pain in the ass, and also they're used to wait years for games in early access, so what the hell.

In the development world, especially for tiny teams, stuff like that can happen. It happened to me, and I had to deal with angry clients. I offered my humblest excuses and some free additional features. Sometimes I lost my clients (with penalties and all that), sometimes they were sincerely sorry for my personal problems and were fine to wait longer.
It happens. And if you're a professional (and as soon as your game enters the Steam store, you actually are!), you cannot lose your cool like this.

Arthea

The worst thing is that they can't even understand that coming out clean is always the best thing possible.
I mean, they could really have said like: "guys we have some real life problems, the development of our game will take longer than expected, we're sorry and blah blah blah", and I'm totally sure the community would have been super understanding and even supportive.
Customers are not dumb (well, most of them), and pretty much everyone knows how indie game dev is a huge pain in the ass, and also they're used to wait years for games in early access, so what the hell.

In the development world, especially for tiny teams, stuff like that can happen. It happened to me, and I had to deal with angry clients. I offered my humblest excuses and some free additional features. Sometimes I lost my clients (with penalties and all that), sometimes they were sincerely sorry for my personal problems and were fine to wait longer.
It happens. And if you're a professional (and as soon as your game enters the Steam store, you actually are!), you cannot lose your cool like this.
It's very nice in theory, but real life doesn't work that way. People are different, and some just aren't calm and collected and always in control, some rage and lose their temper and are unhappy about basically everything. Things like that happen. It's internet drama that make it seem for what it isn't.
I never liked internet drama, but people seem to love it and stick with it and even pour some gasoline into that fire, just for fun of it. You know it's true. ;)

Uzzy

This was posted last night (European time) but I can't not bump post this. The gameplay video they released completely convinced me and I know almost nothing about Gettysburg. I was afraid it was going to be $40-50 title but $10 sounds a bit too low even. Regardless, buying it day 1 and adding it to my "early access" section of Steam that already has 20+ games, none of which I play because I don't play early access games.

I've had half an eye on this game for a while now, and that gameplay video totally convinced me to throw money at the screen. Glad to hear that I can soon throw money in a productive fashion at them!

derExperte

Edge likes Fract OSC: http://www.edge-online.com/review/fract-osc-review/ (8/10 is relatively high for them)

I did put it on my wishlist a while ago but there are so many 'run around in abstract enviroments' nowadays and I never 100% got it from watching videos. Any thoughts on the game?

So there is a beer called "Fucking Hell"? I need to try it!

I once went to a restaurant that had a drink called 'Ficken' on their menu. I think you can figure out what that mean in English yourself. Didn't taste too bad.

And now I need to find that Fucking Hell beer, never seen it in a store around here.

Berto

Honestly I have no ideia what these games are about, but there you go:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gomo -- MB-9DE8C609F13279ED - Taken by didamangi
CT Special Forces: Fire for Effect -- MB-43E5621AD67849F5 - Taken by Aitor
QuestRun -- MB-00B69752EF54A42C - Taken by Tesseract
Fortix 2 -- MB-5349A45E6C883AEE - Taken by nature boy
Adventure Park -- MB-421C2C9470E1D750 - Taken by Saty
Hotel Collector's Edition -- MB-0EB8741F6BFB4ECA - Taken by spindoctor
Rescue: Everday Heroes US Edition -- MB-FD2D90CF42887280 - Taken by nightstorm
Infinite Space III: Sea of Stars -- MB-431C5E4C02366A49 - Taken by pupo
Zooloretto -- MB-83488E2DB88F2589 - Taken by Darkroronoa

Copons

It's very nice in theory, but real life doesn't work that way. People are different, and some just aren't calm and collected and always in control, some rage and lose their temper and are unhappy about basically everything. Things like that happen. It's internet drama that make it seem for what it isn't.
I never liked internet drama, but people seem to love it and stick with it and even pour some gasoline into that fire, just for fun of it. You know it's true. ;)

Yeah of course, but my point is that as soon as you become a professional, you should pretty much always behave like a professional!
I'm one that loses his temper VERY often, and even more once my own company started going to shit (a little bit of depression here, a little bit of blaming my crappy clients there, you know the usuals :D ), but I just HAD to lose it at home or in the office with my colleagues.
I just couldn't throw shit against my clients (well, except one, but it REALLY was his fault, and one of the reasons all went downhill :D ), with them it was always a suck it up situation, and not only because in our contracts there are penalties involved for both parts' breaches, but mostly because no one (me as a small unknown dev, but it matters even more for sort-of-celebs, indie or not) can afford to soil his name.

But all in all, I guess the main problem here is that with stuff like Kickstarter or Early Access, devs simply don't feel entitled to deliver.
I don't know the terms and conditions of EA, but I guess there is nothing that dictate that, nor some economic penalties if you don't, no deadlines, no nothing. I guess it's pretty good for fair devs, but at the same time there should be some plan B in place to avoid this kind of situations that apparently are happening more and more. And not just the usual Valve refunding customers, because it just can't be a viable solution in the long term.

Wok

Yeah of course, but my point is that as soon as you become a professional, you should pretty much always behave like a professional!
I'm one that loses his temper VERY often, and even more once my own company started going to shit (a little bit of depression here, a little bit of blaming my crappy clients there, you know the usuals :D ), but I just HAD to lose it at home or in the office with my colleagues.
I just couldn't throw shit against my clients (well, except one, but it REALLY was his fault, and one of the reasons all went downhill :D ), with them it was always a suck it up situation, and not only because in our contracts there are penalties involved for both parts' breaches, but mostly because no one (me as a small unknown dev, but it matters even more for sort-of-celebs, indie or not) can afford to soil his name.

But all in all, I guess the main problem here is that with stuff like Kickstarter or Early Access, devs simply don't feel entitled to deliver.
I don't know the terms and conditions of EA, but I guess there is nothing that dictate that, nor some economic penalties if you don't, no deadlines, no nothing. I guess it's pretty good for fair devs, but at the same time there should be some plan B in place to avoid this kind of situations that apparently are happening more and more. And not just the usual Valve refunding customers, because it just can't be a viable solution in the long term.

In the case of Paranautical Activity, the devs are losing their temper because they are being trolled by this guy. I mean, he is really vindicative, it is like having a really angry customer calling you names on the front door of your shop for several days.

Knurek

Yeah. Same as with Fez, I wish I could delete or give away games from my library.

Now where's that ignore gif derExpert posted yesterday?
Really, FEZ was a good, finished game. You may disagree with the game's designer, you may think he's a dick, sure, but he's not the only person who made the game.

Javier23

Banned
Really, FEZ was a good, finished game. You may disagree with the game's designer, you may think he's a dick, sure, but he's not the only person who made the game.
I don't question the quality of the game (how could I, I haven't even played the game), but I won't lend a second of my time to someone who treats not only his fans and customers, but the whole gaming community, the way Fish does.

Fez was great 100% it a few weeks ago, Fish on hte other hand...not so much.

In the case of Paranautical Activity, the devs are losing their temper because they are being trolled by this guy. I mean, he is really vindicative, it is like having a really angry customer calling you names on the front door of your shop for several days.
Based on everything I've read, the problem with these guys is more than poor PR or dealing with trolls. They are just rude assholes who are dicks to their community and well..as you can with the posts above, probably have anger issues

On Steam, there was one account about when someone suggested a piece of small reasonable feedback and the devs basically insulted the guy, calling him a fucking idiot for suggesting that there was something wrong with the game's design

Knurek

Fez was great 100% it a few weeks ago, Fish on hte other hand...not so much.

Yeah, but Fish is just the face of FEZ.
Actual programming work was done by Renaud Bédard, music/SFX by Disasterpiece. Both are good people, and surely deserve money for their work?

Arthea

I don't question the quality of the game (how could I, I haven't even played the game), but I won't lend a second of my time to someone who treats not only his fans and customers, but the whole gaming community, the way Fish does.

Don't be offended by it, please, but it does sound somewhat naive. Do you personally know all people that created games you play? You know that some of them can be (and most likely are) people you would hate or loathe. But as you don't know it, you don't give a damn. You know about Fish because of all interned drama surrounding him, so you've gotten carried by it. It might be just your temperament, or it might be you don't know life and people well enough.
Just a thought, yet again, don't be offended by it, OK?

on the side note, I think that creation (any creation, games included) has it values and own life, and it is only partly dependant on creator, partly on receiver, meaning us. Our perception makes reality of creation real for us, and it is dependant on our personality, not creators personality. Many artists during centuries look like very unlikeable people, but their creations are still likeable.

Dunno what have gotten into me, I thought I don't preach (><)

FloatOn

I'd say you made a good start to a good day.

probably. I just don't even know when I'm going to get around to playing them. prior to dark souls 2 I told myself I would only buy the games I would immediately play.

the backlog thirst is real.

Yeah, but Fish is just the face of FEZ.
Actual programming work was done by Renaud Bédard, music/SFX by Disasterpiece. Both are good people, and surely deserve money for their work?

True true, a game is a game as well. Not like Fish is hurting people, just being annoying.

A few pages back. Basically, as far as I can remember, he's always been easily annoyed/uptight with people; now he's blaming other people for his problems, taking his ball, and going home. Kinda a Phil Fish situation, except Fish was actually a genius who made a brilliant game.

When does the game come out?

I was doing pretty well considering my entire 2014, back to back, consisted of...

- Being 80% done with Brotherhood before a fatal CTD that ate my save. Youtubed ending.
- Being 25% done with Revelations before a fatal CTD that ate my save again. Youtubed ending.
- Finishing AC III just yesterday to a questionable final sequence, terribly long credits and a hanging epilogue.

dude. This followed by W_D?

youarealreadydead.jpg

Javier23

Banned
Don't be offended by it, please, but it does sound somewhat naive. Do you personally know all people that created games you play? You know that some of them can be (and most likely are) people you would hate or loathe. But as you don't know it, you don't give a damn. You know about Fish because of all interned drama surrounding him, so you've gotten carried by it. It might be just your temperament, or it might be you don't know life and people well enough.
Just a thought, yet again, don't be offended by it, OK?
Not only I am not offended, but actually I agree with you. I don't know anyone making any games that I play, and the chances that I just wouldn't like them are pretty high. That pretty much extends to any business. But there is an important distinction here to make. I may go get my car fixed and then, for some reason, the guy there may have all kinds of nice words for me and my entire family up to three generations back while I'm not there to hear them. I will never know and I will just get the car back and happily be on my way. That happens all the time. Another very different thing is to go there and have the guy outright insult me when, say, I ask him to repeat himself on something. You are burned out on your job or you're just a jerkass, I don't give a damn, unless you just throw it at my face. Then know I simply won't stay there long enough to hear you ranting.

You are free to say that "gamers are the worst kind of people" in public, just don't expect me to then go and play your game. Same goes with singers who take a piss or spit on their audiences. If I'm right there under the stage after paying my ticket, unless security can stop me you're getting punched in the face.

Acccent

Do you know him personally?

No, but I know enough to realise how dumb it is for this huge proportion of gamers to whine about him based on various tweets and out-of-context quotes.
I guess it's anyone's right to unwarrantedly hate on someone though...

MikeDown

Banned
so i just got a new pc and steam is acting up for me. Unfortunately I'm running windows 8 if that affects things. But more often then not it hangs up on downloads and I can't set custom images to the games. :(

so i just got a new pc and steam is acting up for me. Unfortunately I'm running windows 8 if that affects things.

Windows 8 here - now updated to 8.1 - and I have never experienced any particular issue, just a few games working properly only in windowed mode, but that's not due to the Steam client.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So, I had a nightmare, and in it DoubleFine went broke.
I've entered a whole new level of nerdness. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom