• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is Postal 2 so bad it's good or is it actually good? The only thing I know about it is that it's politically incorrect and over-the-top violent. Pretty cool that the developers are still supporting the game

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Just give me a proper AoE IV or AoM II and I don't want anything else from my life

So is Postal 2 so bad it's good or is it actually good? The only thing I know about it is that it's politically incorrect and over-the-top violent. Pretty cool that the developers are still supporting the game

It's pretty good actually and it is still very much playable, but as you said it's very politically incorrect and over the top so you shouldn't take it very seriously

Ryne

Really hoping GRID Autosport will be good, they are pressing all the right buttons for me. Should at least hold me down until Project CARS.

Terra_Ex

They're both great, though most people consider 7 to be the quintessential JRPG.

Final Fantasy 8 is more of an "acquired taste", most people either really love it or really hate it.
I always found 6 to be superior, despite playing it way after 7, 8 and 9 but there was something magical about the ps1 games (and FFT) at the time. I never had a problem with any of the games from that time tbh, it was a simpler time I suppose. I enjoyed them at the time and was very much in the target audience back, no need to pick apart every perceived failing and issue with the story, although the internet seemingly delights in doing so. I was upset there was no Gold Saucer mini-game heaven equivalent in 8 but Triple Triad exists so that gripe was somewhat allayed.

I do find it pretty strange speaking with younger gamers now who have never played them though, it just feels weird to me as back at the time of release everyone (in school) had played 7 & 8... Nowadays I just wish Square could make something half as decent as either one that wasn't locked away on a portable...

This happened today,
saG9p1V.png

I was going to do a giveaway but it'd be overshadowed by n8's so it can wait for a quieter time, hopefully I can pick up some fancier things to give away in the sales.

Dr Dogg

FF8 has Triple Triad. That alone makes it ridiculously good. Probably the best mini game in a FF game ever.

I actually preferred Tetra Master. Might be blinkered by liked 9 more than 8 though. But I will say this at least Triple Triad had effects on the game and wasn't just a diversionary mini game.

I was having a chat the other day with a few peeps at work about SE and why instead of just straight porting their old 8,16 and 32 bit RPGs to newer platforms they feel like they have to add value and almost totally rehash them. I'd be happy if they just took the Chrono Trigger SNES ROM and dumped it on digital distro in an emulator that allowed for 1:1 scaling and be done.

Anyway enough port fantasies as I've got a mighty backlog to clear before KiD and Neghbourhood Watch Dogs come out.

Aerocrane

I really hope they can give the first GRID! I finished GRID2 last year and loved it but I have yet to pick the first one and since I read that the first one is much better (Cockpit view as one of the things) it's a must for me to play it. If you can't find a good home for the first GRID, well, let me know, I know someone who would like it. If not, it's more than okay too! :)

On a related note I wish they could put the first DIRT on Steam but I guess that is impossible because the license of Colin Mcrae...

Colin McRae: Dirt is my favourite of the three Dirt games, 2 & 3 had too much of an emphasis on other racing disciplines. Check your PM inbox :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I always found 6 to be superior, despite playing it way after 7, 8 and 9 but there was something magical about the ps1 games (and FFT) at the time. I never had a problem with any of the games from that time tbh, it was a simpler time I suppose. I enjoyed them at the time and was very much in the target audience back, no need to pick apart every perceived failing and issue with the story, although the internet seemingly delights in doing so. I was upset there was no Gold Saucer mini-game heaven equivalent in 8 but Triple Triad exists so that gripe was somewhat allayed.

I do find it pretty strange speaking with younger gamers now who have never played them though, it just feels weird to me as back at the time of release everyone (in school) had played 7 & 8... Nowadays I just wish Square could make something half as decent as either one that wasn't locked away on a portable...

I'm fortunate in that I've raised my kids to respect the classics. I took my kids (and my daughter's boyfriend) to a Distant Worlds concert a few weeks ago and everyone had a blast. They played scenes from the games on the big screen and it was great knowing that my kids have played, and enjoyed, the classics of my own youth. And of course, the music was phenomenal.

This happened today,

I was going to do a giveaway but it'd be overshadowed by n8's so it can wait for a quieter time, hopefully I can pick up some fancier things to give away in the sales.

Congrats on 1,000! :)

So is Postal 2 so bad it's good or is it actually good?

It depends upon your definition of good or bad, either way I gather it may have not aged well tech-wise, as it did not shine even then when compared to other games.

I played it long ago and I found it to be much satirical, along the lines of South park to give you just an idea.

The only thing I know about it is that it's politically incorrect and over-the-top violent.

As far as I can recall the game can get violent if you want to.

The_Monk

Colin McRae: Dirt is my favourite of the three Dirt games, 2 & 3 had too much of an emphasis on other racing disciplines. Check your PM inbox :)

I agree. I still have hope that they are going to announce a new DIRT this for PC/PS4/XB1 I remember that Tweet from them teasing something. I just want snow, dirt, rain, dust, and lot's of tracks focused on Rally. I was not a big fan of those Gymkana events so the most Rally focused, the best. At least for me. Also, I replied to your PM. ;)

Leg-End

Playfire really are great for making you choose from your backlog aren't they.

Time to get back into Saints Row 3.

Oh and great giveaway n8!

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I was going to do an AoM giveaway since I picked up an extra copy, but it would be overshadowed by n8's mega giveaway...Maybe tomorrow

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

F.E.A.R. -- MB-1E1CF963EF37D83F - Taken by _hekk05. 8 entrants total.
Gotham City Impostors Professional Kit -- MB-1A21C29F96DDFF75
The Lord of the Rings Online Steely Dawn Starter Pack -- MB-9003DB3BF284F7D9 - Taken by Mavromatis. 1 entrants total.
Guardians of Middle-earth Smaug's Treasure DLC -- MB-298FAF81C9246845
Mortal Kombat Kollection -- MB-B30F9121AF75F3C4 - Taken by dot. 9 entrants total.
Guardians of Middle-earth -- MB-B0E05C706E92396C - Taken by nampad. 2 entrants total.
Batman Arkham Origins DLC -- MB-547945F7836EFCF6 - Taken by BadAss2961. 1 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-28AF02F930FC4D12 - Taken by PossumMeat. 1 entrants total.
Beatbuddy -- MB-D40429EF10A9EFD8 - Taken by oipic. 1 entrants total.

t1399575695z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Indie Royale With Cheese bundle
PRICE: 3.02€ (BTA)
  • Cognition Episode 3: The oracle
  • Continue?9876543210
  • Yelaxot (GL)
  • Rogue's Tale
  • Too Many Me (already greenlit)
  • ?

Please tell me episode 4 is the mystery, I would finally activate my 1&2 from groupees

Aerocrane

I agree. I still have hope that they are going to announce a new DIRT this for PC/PS4/XB1 I remember that Tweet from them teasing something. I just want snow, dirt, rain, dust, and lot's of tracks focused on Rally. I was not a big fan of those Gymkana events so the most Rally focused, the best. At least for me. Also, I replied to your PM. ;)

They have been posting images from rally events in UK, and I think Codies Community Manager posted on the /r/rally subreddit asking what the community's favourite classic rally cars were. If we can get historics and Group B, I hope they won't be DLC.

Parsnip

So are people excited for Bound by Flame? Checked out some of the combat videos on the tubes. and can't say I'm terribly impressed.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is a good time as any to write-up some impressions I have on Continue?9876543210.

This is a bit of a hard one to write about.

header_292x136.jpg

Continue?9876543210 is a surrealistic adventure game that is somewhat stylized like an old RPG game. Or something like that. Continue is a very strange game; The basic idea is that you play as a video game character who is at the end of his life. The classic, 'Continue?' screen of arcade games of old has passed, and no quarters were inserted. And so, you have 'died', and enter into a realm where all data from a previous game goes to be erased, wiped clean for the world to start anew again for the new player, and New Game option. In this desolate space, data is assimilated into bytes and data, and you having not made your peace yet struggle to survive in a climate made to delete you.

In the game, you start on a level that is representative of some gameplay trope, IE town, field, ruins, etc. There are a variety of NPCs and locked doors. You can talk to the people, who will either try to sell you something, give you a hint of some sort in the level you're currently in, say something about the story of the game, or say some rather useless blabber. NPCs phase in and out of existence, however. There's also monsters that spawn on the level, and wander around. Touching them triggers a battle scene, that transitions to a different scene like an RPG game. However, the battles aren't turn-based, but real-time, and work more similarly to a Zelda game. However, what they exactly are changes per encounter. Some are top-down, some are side-scrolling, some make you defend something, or you just have to fight all-out. Winning battles or doing things around the level usually get you a key, which you can use to unlock one of the various locked structures around the level. Inside the structure you'll either find a shop, something to push the story, some sort of side-quest, or a person who will either build structures or cast lightning.

Now building structures and casting lightning is important. The game has a sort of time limit, both in levels and the overall game. The levels you go to are randomized, and each has differences to each other. However, you have a certain number of 'rounds' that will pass before the whole level is eliminated. If you're in a level when it's eliminated, it's game over and you get a bad ending. There is a time period you have to do stuff in the level, and then the round ends and you face some kind of challenge. This can be like a tricky level, a boss fight, some kind of puzzle, etc. They're random. If you win, you get a big benefit to your cause of survival, but if you lose you miss your chance for some aid. Aid for what? To exit the level, you need to get people you encounter to cast lightning, as casting lightning will destroy some of the blocks randomly blocking one of the several exits out of a level. However, you also need to build structures. After every two levels or so, you'll be in a sort of 'storm' you need to survive, or else its game-over. In the storms, you're in a town that is formed of the buildings you have made people build in the normal stages for you. A storm hits, and the buildings are stricken by lightning. You have to hide in a building and wait for the storm to pass, though if your building is hit and destroyed you have a certain time limit to quickly scamper around the town to another building. If there are no other buildings or you run out of time, it's game-over.

You will always be given a choice of either Lightning or Building Structures. Lightning will clear a path to the next level after a few lightning strikes, while building structures will create buildings to hide in during these 'storm' sections.

ss_60f593fc550f4a2a1f4038c8a3b8be99d9e271e2.600x338.jpg

Basically the game is all about time management and succeeding in the various challenges that both the monsters, NPCs, and Round End's bring, for doing these allows you to gain chances at either Lightning or Structure Building, to make it past the individual level in time and to build structures for the storms that happen every two levels or so. You'll either like the game or not, it's a bit complicated to understand at first, and won't be fun for everyone.

Also there are side-quests you can do that effect your story. The game has multiple endings, possible level paths, and more... What you do in levels, what level path you take, and the like effects the ending you work towards. The game is kind of made to be played multiple times, as its not very long and you won't go to many of the levels or see the whole game in a single playthrough.

And the game gets weird. The story is told in a very indirect way, and some of the events that can happen are just absolutely bizarre. Honestly the story feels most similar to something that David Lynch might of concocted up if he were to make a video game about video games. Depending on who you are, that might either be a good or bad thing.

The game's oddness is supplemented perfectly by its audio department. The game has a haunting soundtrack, interesting but odd sound design, but it all fits the weird atmosphere of the game perfectly.

And there isn't really much to say. The game is deceptively complicated, but actually rather simple when you get down to it. It strikes me as a huge love it/hate it type of game, and something that'll divide people's opinions on whenever it's good or not.

My stance is that it's interesting. The game itself is okay, but the atmosphere and some of the surreal elements I enjoyed. Of course, if you're less fond of such things, there will probably be less to enjoy in the game for yourself. Basically said, while there is a game here, the game is more about the experience. And depending on who you are, that experience will either be worth taking, or it won't be.

Continue may be worth it if you like experience-based games with a surreal and strange edge that are open to interpretation. If you don't like that, you probably won't like the game. Like the game itself, it all seems so complicated but it's so simple, really.

Totally agree with those Continue impressions, Dusk Golem. I felt it was a mediocre game, but a wonderfully surreal atmospheric experience.

Aerocrane

I just noticed I don't have DiRT1, it's not on steam either, what happened to it?

It still used the Colin McRae name, the license most likely expired and Codemasters decided to not extend the licensing deal. I'm assuming it got pulled after his death, which also might have had an effect on the licensing deal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It still used the Colin McRae name, the license most likely expired and Codemasters decided to not extend the licensing deal. I'm assuming it got pulled after his death, which also might have had an effect on the licensing deal.

I doubt it had anything to do with the McRae name as it would have affected all the games rather just the original. Car licences would be my guess.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
i got the Mortal Kombat complete on the Humble store for 5 bones. Really fun. I know people said it was a good port graphically, but dang you have to see it for yourself. just a fantastic looking game and runs hella smooth for me too. Soounds like online is borked which is a shame, but i dont really like playing fighting games online anyways. Johny Cage is funny as hell. Dose sexist female char. models tho lol, i know its been a part of Mk for a long time but man it really stands out in this one with a semi believable story goin on an Sonyas huge fake tits swingin about. its making me think about droppin the 30 bucks for Injustice which i didnt really think I'd care for before playin this.
MK9 is $5 on the humble store? Time to buy it (again) I guess!
this also means I missed the CK2 deal, lame :(
Regarding Injustice, just hold on buying it, as it has been about $12 on sales already.

Nope, but there is actually an energy drink called "Pussy".
I assume this is a reference to "Booty Sweat" or is it for real? :O

phil fish is a better person than 90% of the developers (and by extension, human beings) on this planet, just saying
that is incredibly mean to 90% of the human beings :(
j/k, I really don't care about the "drama" that surrounds Mr Fish

Not only I am not offended, but actually I agree with you. I don't know anyone making any games that I play, and the chances that I just wouldn't like them are pretty high. That pretty much extends to any business. But there is an important distinction here to make. I may go get my car fixed and then, for some reason, the guy there may have all kinds of nice words for me and my entire family up to three generations back while I'm not there to hear them. I will never know and I will just get the car back and happily be on my way. That happens all the time. Another very different thing is to go there and have the guy outright insult me when, say, I ask him to repeat himself on something. You are burned out on your job or you're just a jerkass, I don't give a damn, unless you just throw it at my face. Then know I simply won't stay there long enough to hear you ranting.

You are free to say that "gamers are the worst kind of people" in public, just don't expect me to then go and play your game. Same goes with singers who take a piss or spit on their audiences. If I'm right there under the stage after paying my ticket, unless security can stop me you're getting punched in the face.
Fully agree with this.

And also this.

PSA: Buying GTA Complete also nets you Grand Theft Auto and Grand Theft Auto 2.
I thought these bundles didn't have GTA 1 and 2 anymore?

So do you guise think that deep silver bundle happening today? or maybe next week? I've been craving some open world single player games ever since completing sleepy doges so hopefully if the deep silver bundle does happen they throw in some saints row games :D
Flash sale on Saint's Row IV on the Humble Store !
9.99€

Then again, with the amount of stuff available DLC-wise, maybe one could wait for a bundle sale.
So should I get SR4 now @ $10 or wait for the GotY edition to be $15 come the Winter Seal.
The game is excellent and really fun (I personally loved it to death), but mind it's more inFamous/Prototype than GTA/Sleepy Dawgs.
The only DLC that matters is the Season Pass as it gives the new story missions, everything else (save for the Explosive Pack that includes powers) is either costumes or cheats.

Is there really no way you can afford a 120GB drive? You get more space per dollar (256er drives are actually the new best deal), they're faster than the smaller versions and 60GB is really not much as you'll only get 5xGB. A 120GB SSD would allow you to put the OS (which often improves gaming performance in general too) and a few games on it.
This, even the 500GB and larger are getting "cheap" too, you can get one for about USD200 (which is what I paid for my 256GB one a little over a year ago).

I'm probably going to buy one of the final fantasy games on sale at the humble bundle store. Would you guys recommend one over the other?
FFVIII is best 3D FF. The story is mostly garbage, but everything else is top notch.

Today's Playfire rewards:
  • Saints Row the Third - play for the first time - £0.10
  • Saints Row the Third - unlock A Better Person - £0.10
  • Saints Row the Third - unlock Union Buster - £0.25
  • Saints Row the Third - unlock Everything is Permitted - £0.50
t1400112000z0.png

Will be getting those Saints Row ones for sure, shame I've already played it on Steam.
Nice, didn't get the final 2 yet, and mind that "Union Buster" is from the "Gangstas in Space" DLC mission

i sort of like seeing the low number of reviews for owners of 1k(+) games.

on a side note, day 10 waiting for playfire support ticket. Wheee

Aerocrane

I doubt it had anything to do with the McRae name as it would have affected all the games rather just the original. Car licences would be my guess.

You probably are right. I thought that Codemasters stripped the McRae branding from the game with the second game already, but it actually was the third. I just hope we can get a return to form that is similar to the first Dirt.

Dr Dogg

i sort of like seeing the low number of reviews for owners of 1k(+) games.

Seeing everyone post their milestone shots with low DLC counts has made me realise I have a bit of a problem on that front. I.. It's just so cheap during sales, I can't help myself but buy loads of DLC :(

derExperte

Mine from April 22nd got a reply today. Which didn't help at all, totally missed what the problem was. Oh well, I don't think writing a long winded reply is worth it, you can keep your fiddy cents.

You probably are right. I thought that Codemasters stripped the McRae branding from the game with the second game already, but it actually was the third. I just hope we can get a return to form that is similar to the first Dirt.

The second even has a nice tribute video that you get after completing the career.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought these bundles didn't have GTA 1 and 2 anymore?

A review dated late February all but categorically states the original games are included ("I was saddened that GTA 1 and 2 are not available to purchase through steam anymore but now I can relive all the old memories of my childhood once again thanks to GreenManGaming!"), so unless something changed within the past two-and-a-bit months they're still part of the pack.

Anteater

oh so it's not on steam anymore :(

Parsnip

Fantomena likes it and other impressions I read here and there were generally positive. Could be a surprise hit.
I didn't know fantomena has the time to actually play games with all the money he's making.

Developed by Spiders huh. Mars: War Logs always seemed mildly interesting to me, was that any good? Seems to have somewhat positive ratings on Steam at least.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Murdered Soul Suspect will be THE flop of the summer, won't it? Even the usually positive previews didn't sound too excited.

Like Thief (2014) it's already a option in the AMD never settle bundle.

A review dated late February all but categorically states the original games are included ("I was saddened that GTA 1 and 2 are not available to purchase through steam anymore but now I can relive all the old memories of my childhood once again thanks to GreenManGaming!"), so unless something changed within the past two-and-a-bit months they're still part of the pack.

Nuuvem is also still selling the GTA complete bundle that includes GTA 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom