• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the Tex Murphy adventure games from 90s(FMV-based), are they all worth worth playing before Tesla? Mean Streets wasn't exactly an enjoyable experience, so I brushed off the series.

Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive are the only essential ones in my opinion.

I'd still like to read reviews like this, though not highly-ranked
in the default "most helpful" sort, rather under a separate "most entertaining" sort. By default I should see the most substantive reviews.

I think the steam reviews are pretty broken at the moment. As a minimum, it needs a third setting for games that are in between. For example Life Goes on is a good game, but I don't necessarily recommend buying it at this stage. In the spirit of steam a "get on sale" option would at least be useful.

From there I've noticed that even when I do a serious and well thought out review, if it is for a loved game and you don't recommend it? Well you are getting downvoted to oblivion. People seem far more interested in using the system to say "I hate you and your taste in games" rather than actually finding a review useful, even if you agree with it or not. Or of course the other uses, which are "I worked on the game and so here is an amazing review and all the other people who worked on it voting it up", or "here is my youtube channel give me hits!" which isn't much better.

Anyway, I'm sure Valve will fix this up quickly.

Speaking of Valve, does the store default to "Top Sellers" for anybody else now? That is seriously annoying me.

Copons

I think the steam reviews are pretty broken at the moment. As a minimum, it needs a third setting for games that are in between. For example Life Goes on is a good game, but I don't necessarily recommend buying it at this stage. In the spirit of steam a "get on sale" option would at least be useful.

From there I've noticed that even when I do a serious and well thought out review, if it is for a loved game and you don't recommend it? Well you are getting downvoted to oblivion. People seem far more interested in using the system to say "I hate you and your taste in games" rather than actually finding a review useful, even if you agree with it or not. Or of course the other use which is "I worked on the game and so here is an amazing review and all the other people who worked on it voting it up", or "here is my youtube channel give me hits!" which isn't much better.

Totally agree.
But then again, this can be applied to pretty much every review system, including big pro sites. Like I don't know, an hypotetical bad MGS review from IGN would attract good ol' shitstorms all over the place. On Steam it's harder to get a shitstorm because people usually don't bother replying to unknown people, hence the downvotes. And hence the fact that in my life I kind of never ever wrote a serious review
also because I actively want a shitstorm because internet is so much fun

Speaking of Valve, does the store default to "Top Sellers" for anybody else now? That is seriously annoying me.

They changed it in the last couple of days, but I'm sure they'll fix it soon!

gabbo

Jedi Academy is weird, in some ways it's better than Jedi Outcast and in others it's worse. The fact that you start off Academy with a lighstaber and almost never have to use a gun while playing is great. You also get to create a character, choose their appearance with some limited customisation options (male, female, a few different species with 4 different options for heads, torso and pants), choose to skill their force abilities and make them light or dark side. I'm pretty close to beating the game but so far, aside from two points in the game where Luke and Kyle to at you after a mission briefing, my being light side hasn't really impacted the game at all. Midway through the game you also get to choose between using a single saber, dual sabers or a saber staff. Mechanically it's the most refined game in the series when it comes to combat and locomotion and Jedi Academy has waaaaaaay more melee encounters in it than Jedi Outcast. You spend a good majority of the game fighting members of the Cult of Ragnos and it's honestly a lot of fun. I haven't gotten tired of seeing that 360 camera pan that plays out after you cut a Dark Jedi down in a duel.

Academy has a mission structure. You choose between 5 missions and then have to play through a story mission. You only have to complete 4 out of 5 mission before unlocking the next story mission but completing the selectable missions gives you a force point. You only need 12 points to max out your light or dark side affinity, so you could skip every fifth mission if you wanted to progress the story quicker. There's ten selectable missions before you become a Jedi and five after you become one. The locations and scenarios you encounter in the selectable missions are pretty diverse. Some are long, some are short, some are vehicle based, they take place all over the galaxy and put in you all sorts of different scenarios.

And this is kind of where Jedi Academy is a kind of worse than Jedi Outcast, there's a very tenuous plot thread connecting all of these diverse missions and the story, what there is of it, isn't anywhere near as epic as Jedi Outcast. Jedi Academy feels way more fan service-y (oh hey look, you're on Tatooine and there's The Millennium Falcon and Chewbacca! Now you're on Hoth in the ruins of the old rebel base, look there's Boba Fett!), Jedi Outcast is more evocative of the original trilogy and the extended universe. The art style and design of the environments in Jedi Outcast is simply stronger. The A.I. in Jedi Academy seems worse than Jedi Outcast, the cloaking imperial officers in particular. They just kind of stand there and die. Even the lightsaber duels feel easier overall, there's only been a few fights where I had any difficulty.

Overall though Academy has been really fun to play and depending on how much of an impact my character being Light or Dark Side has on the game by the end will dictate if I play through it again as a Dark Side Jedi. It's probably just as basic as the kinds of crystals you get to use in your saber but I may still play it again to simply use dual sabers.

It feels like a best-of story/plot-wise because it started out as a multiplayer focused expansion pack to Outcast and only part way through because a full game. I agree with you on the lightsaber battles though. Miss those.

Chesskid1

Banned
is the steam wishlist email notifications reliable?

apparently i have had email notifcations on a while but i can't recall ever getting the emails and i used to keep a bunch of games on my wishlist.

i have my eye on a game for sale so i adjusted my wishlist for it's the only game on it and i want to make certain i get a notification since i don't check steam much these days.

apparently i have had email notifcations on a while but i can't recall ever getting the emails and i used to keep a bunch of games on my wishlist.

i have my eye on a game for sale so i adjusted my wishlist for it's the only game on it and i want to make certain i get a notification since i don't check steam much these days.

God no.

The isthereanydeal service is spot on though.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
You constantly send them tickets for bugged rewards not unlocking.
And then you wait... a lot :p

Is KickBeat any good? Have it on my wishlist for a while now, 3$ seems a sweet price spot.
I have the PS3/PSV versions, and I must say that if you really enjoy rhythm based games then get it, because it's good. Mind that the game is difficult, and that the music genre it uses might not be everyone's cup of tea (it's mostly Drum 'n' Bass).

Kinda. I get the alerts yes, but like 12 hours after the game has been on sale so it's not particularly useful to me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So dreadout is episodic? That's...disappointing :/

May already be known, but I was told of some sales % figures for Volgarr The Viking

Our total net profit so far is from: Steam/ASG 75.14%, Humble 16.24%, GoG 8.55%, Amazon 0.07%. Not including KS.
https://twitter.com/Rubikant/status/464549412161990657

Also GoG will create sales whenever they feel like it in order to match what steam is doing, but they will let developers know when they are creating sales on their games a few day before hand.

Parsnip

this is awesome

l7RwbvO.png

Yeah, it warms my cold cold heart to see just over 1000 hours of Dark Souls 2 on my friend activity as well. Who knew that people I know also have good taste. Well on its way to catch up to the lifetime 3351 hours of Dark Souls PtD too.

TheD

The Detective
So those crooked devs of "Paranautical Activity" banned the guy that pointed out that they had pirated a ton of sound effects and removed the post!
TBH, I want to see those devs get banned from steam.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So those crooked devs of "Paranautical Activity" banned the guy that pointed out that they had pirated a ton of sound effects and removed the post!

hahaha what? Is there a blogpost somewhere getting updated with all the details from this insane explosion?

Nabs

Origin. Making PC Gaming Awesome.

excuse me while I throw up. I seriously thought RavenValor was joking.

A funny thing I found out about Paranautical Activity is that if you look at their system requirements on the steam store page

which are
PC System Requirements
Minimum:
Processor: ntel P4/NetBurst Architecture or its AMD Equivalent (AMD K7)
Memory: 2GB GB RAM
Graphics: Intel GMA 950 or AMD Equivalent with OpenGL 1.2 Support
Hard Drive: 300 MB available space
Sound Card: N/A
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250580

And then look at the listed system requirement for Minecraft

Minimum Requirements:
CPU : Intel P4/NetBurst Architecture or its AMD Equivalent (AMD K7)
RAM : 2GB
GPU : Intel GMA 950 or AMD Equivalent
HDD : At least 90MB for Game Core and Sound Files
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1428333-minecraft-system-requirments/

They're pretty similar, don't you think?

TheD

The Detective
hahaha what? Is there a blogpost somewhere getting updated with all the details from this insane explosion?

Pastebin of a new post (from the guy making an alt account) http://pastebin.com/NvcRKRaQ
new post http://steamcommunity.com/app/250580/discussions/0/540741131156421450/#p9
Google cache version of original post http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...540741130945980648/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

For the devs acting insane, see some of the posts in the game's steam forum and one of the devs twitter accounts https://twitter.com/Vallisca3x3x3 (they are calling everything that points out their shit "libel").

A funny thing I found out about Paranautical Activity is that if you look at their system requirements on the steam store page

which are

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250580

And then look at the listed system requirement for Minecraft

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1428333-minecraft-system-requirments/

They're pretty similar, don't you think?
Yep, sounds like something they would do.

Tizoc

Speaking about isthereanydeal, why is it that I continually receive an email for a game on sale that I already own, and removed from my wishlist? Does this happen to anyone else?

Did you update isthereanydeal that you removed a game from your Steam wishlist?

Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Wizardry 6 & 7 -- MB-DA66ACB7AA8149A3 - Taken by InfiniteNine. 7 entrants total.

t1399595054z1.png

Part of me wants to get DA:O because it's a good game and having it on Steam would make me give it another go.
Then there's the other part of me who remembers that in the end, I hated every party member in the game and that just kills a lot of the fun.

Stil a fun game though...
*inner debate*
:O

Explain yourself!

Zeliard

Part of me wants to get DA:O because it's a good game and having it on Steam would make me give it another go.
Then there's the other part of me who remembers that in the end, I hated every party member in the game and that just kills a lot of the fun.

Stil a fun game though...
*inner debate*

Alistair was great. Best character along with Mordin that Bioware has created since HK-47.

From there I've noticed that even when I do a serious and well thought out review, if it is for a loved game and you don't recommend it? Well you are getting downvoted to oblivion. People seem far more interested in using the system to say "I hate you and your taste in games" rather than actually finding a review useful, even if you agree with it or not. Or of course the other uses, which are "I worked on the game and so here is an amazing review and all the other people who worked on it voting it up", or "here is my youtube channel give me hits!" which isn't much better.

So guess my wall of text Steam reviews are kind of a waste of effort then, huh? Probably should stick with 10/10 BEST GAME EVAR!!!! from now on :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I boned Alistair. Morrigan didn't like that if I remember, it's been awhile

Tizoc

That, I did not do. Shit. Didn't realize I had to. That explains things lol. Thanks.

No problemo mate, heck I've been too lazy to update my isthereanydeal list myself :p

My shift ends in 3 hours and I am hungry as all heck...have some poutine
poutine.png
poutine-quebec_38038_600x450.jpg

1301445-poutine.jpg
wendys-poutine.jpg
poutine-1-web.jpg

Can you make Poutine in Cook Serve Delicious?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Feels like a few months since the last time we had a poutine derail in here. No, chubigans didn't add a poutine recipe. But you can play CSD while eating poutine. That counts for something.

Edit: Wait, you're in Oman and you're craving Poutine? :O

I am not big on poutine, I am in Toronto and all my friends always go to Smoke's Poutine after the bar for drunk food, I just get classic street meat

Ah, so the Light/Dark Side force power selection in Jedi Academy is just for different playstyles. Although there is a moment where you can make a Light or Dark Side choice right before the final level.
You can choose to cut down that annoying twat who starts off as Kyle Katarn's other apprentice but then joins the Cult of Ragnos, or you can let him live.
I finished the game Light Side and started a brand new game to play as Dark Side. I could probably just load up a save file and make the other choice but I want to try and play the game with maxed out Dark Side Powers and play with dual sabers.

It feels like a best-of story/plot-wise because it started out as a multiplayer focused expansion pack to Outcast and only part way through because a full game. I agree with you on the lightsaber battles though. Miss those.

Makes sense. Man, do I miss the multiplayer for this game. I think Outcast/Academy and Battlefield 1942 were my go-to games back in the day.

Speaking of isthereanydeal, does anyone know how to make it only email you when a game is a certain percentage off? I only want to get notified when a game is 75% or more off, but even when I have the sync settings set to "Notify me when price gets below current store price and price cut is at least 75%" I still get notifications for games that are 10% off or whatever. I must be misunderstanding these sync options or something.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am not big on poutine, I am in Toronto and all my friends always go to Smoke's Poutine after the bar for drunk food, I just get classic street meat

Saying you're not big on Poutine because your friends always get Smoke's is like saying you're not big on burgers because your friends always get McD's. There's a wide world of kickin'-rad pout out there.

Tizoc

Feels like a few months since the last time we had a poutine derail in here. No, chubigans didn't add a poutine recipe. But you can play CSD while eating poutine. That counts for something.

Edit: Wait, you're in Oman and you're craving Poutine? :O

Yup, dunno of any restaurants that serve it over here. had it one time in a mall in bahrain years ago...haven't had it since and it's one of those dishes I've been craving.

Say si there a Chef/Cooking Simulator by any chance? Someone should make that someday...

Saying you're not big on Poutine because your friends always get Smoke's is like saying you're not big on burgers because your friends always get McD's. There's a wide world of kickin'-rad pout out there.

I think the cheese curds throw me off...but I won't bad mouth it again I swear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom