• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

You can't fool me Sansa Romanov (ಠ_ಠ)

True story: Anastasia Romanov was a madchild and defector, whose eventual sentence would be placement into linear causality three times over, each time being treated as an imposter of herself.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
hey guys i am on the fence about 2k14. i have a PS3 controller and baiscly the computer treats it as an 360 controller to get it to work on PC. the thing i wanna ask is, whats your experience with PS3 controller and 2k14 on PC, if youve had any.

Got Deus Ex HR for myself and Super Meat Boy for the inventory. Also, Nar Shaddaa in Jedi Outcast's actually kind of good so far, since there's way more bacta to go around than I anticipated from previous levels.

Welcome to PC gaming on Mac, RadarScope. It's pretty cool.

Hey, I'm not yet in the Steam group. Anyone want to invite me?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just put in an application with Nintendo of America. Wish me luck guys.

If anyone knows anyone that works at NOA that might be able to put in a good word for me, let me know

EDIT: in before "not on Steam, bro"

If anyone knows anyone that works at NOA that might be able to put in a good word for me, let me know

Meanwhile plans for Salsa's intervention from within the Miiverse continue swimmingly.

plz "Yeah!" this post.

Best of luck jshackles! I really hope it works out.

Good luck! Sorry I don't work at Valve or Nintendo, or know anyone there, but I'll have my fingers crossed :)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Well, at least Enhanced Steam can't be de-localized. It can, however, be delayed in North America while Europe gets it.

Good luck!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

jshackles

I should also let you guys know that there is a good possibility I'm being evicted from my house sometime soon, as the owner (I rent) informed me today that my house is now for sale.

Gotta land some work elsewhere.

Enhanced Steam updates may slow down some while I'm transitioning.

I should also let you guys know that there is a good possibility I'm being evicted from my house sometime soon, as the owner (I rent) informed me today that my house is now for sale.

Best of luck to you!

jshackles

Tell them you make Enhanced Steam.

"You can't make me move, this is the historical site where Enhanced Steam was created." probably won't work.

Garcia

Humble Night Dive Studios bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
  • Wizardry 7: Cruaders of the Dark Savant
  • Shadow Man
TIER 2: 5$
  • I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream
  • Harvester
  • The 7th Guest
TIER 3: 9$
  • Wizardry 8
  • System Shock 2
  • The 11th Hour

This is a pretty amazing bundle.

Holy crap.

Eveyrone must play Shadowman. Eeeeeveryone!!! /Stanley

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Hopefully everything works out alright. Seriously, best of luck.

Grief.exe

Hopefully he sells to someone who is looking to rent the property as well.
We were recently in a similar situation and the process ended up quite smooth.

Man it's been totally worth replaying Jedi Academy to max out Dark Force skills. I'm on the apprentice missions and can now force choke, lift and drop enemies off of the sides of buildings on Coruscant. You can also move around with enemies held in the force choke, batter them against objects in the environment or other enemies. Game moves pretty fast once you skip all of the cutscenes. I'm almost halfway through the game again and it only took 2 hours.

Sober

Pillow cheese is disgusting.
Wrong.

Well, maybe. It is supposed to be put on Poutine, and it tastes amazing then.

Also I wish someone told me no one is practically playing Divekick online anymore before buying it from the Humble Store. Well, I guess there's local Versus.

Miguel81

I recommend Mark of the Ninja to anyone that hasn't purchased/played it yet. It's been the most exhilarating stealth game I've played since Chaos Theory in '05.

Miguel81

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Sector -- MB-BFD1C1215020969A - Taken by cardinalmind
Dino D-Day -- MB-5D9D2BF7A5D608DC - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Space Pirates and Zombies -- MB-E46A8D6C85A17CC4 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow
Dream Pinball 3D -- MB-A7B6D161BDF5011F - Taken by bobnowhere
GTR Evolution -- MB-30AA16849A98F4FF - Taken by intheinbetween
SpaceChem -- MB-7C7810A690A151BA - Taken by More_Badass
SpaceChem: 63 Corvi DLC -- MB-4CDC7C8F0E373B3C - Taken by Dice

I hope you enjoy these games!

Edit: Except fantomena, I know you have a "luxury problem".

jshackles

Hopefully he sells to someone who is looking to rent the property as well.
We were recently in a similar situation and the process ended up quite smooth.

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. It's like the final push I need to start thinking about getting a different job, after struggling financially for the last 5 months after my current employer cut my health care benefits.

I'm sure everything will work out fine, but it's always good to be prepared. :)

oipic

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. It's like the final push I need to start thinking about getting a different job, after struggling financially for the last 5 months after my current employer cut my health care benefits.

I'm sure everything will work out fine, but it's always good to be prepared. :)

I hope everything works out well, and goes smoothly, jshack. You deserve good things.

Enhanced Steam is in great shape, so please rest assured that its users (and your loyal followers) will well and truly understand that you have some larger fish to fry for a little while. :)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

Even if Valve is the dream, I hope it pans out so you can fix Nintendo's garbage online :D

Oh crap, hopefully you land something pronto!
I'm sure you will but positive thinking is always good :)

Knurek

Good luck.
Hope you land on your feet fast.

Have the following inventory coupons I won't be using as I have the games already. I know the timing's not the greatest since the discounts at the Humble Store are probably at least as good, but hey, they seem stackable (or at least nothing in their description says they're not) in case they're also discounted at Steam in the near near future. Let me know if you want any.

Grimind - 75% off - Expires May 14, 10am Valve time (2 of these)
No Time to Explain - 30% off - Expires May 20, 9am Valve time
Not The Robots - 30% off - Expires May 20, 9am Valve time
Speedrunners - 30% off - Expires May 20, 9am Valve time
Toki Tori 2+ - 10% off - Expires July 11, 10am Valve time (4 of these)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Finished DreadOut, have a lot to say about this game.

header_292x136.jpg

DreadOut is an Indonesian survival-horror game that takes inspiration from the Fatal Frame franchise, and pulls a lot from Indonesian myths and folklore. The game is currently incomplete, with a sort of episodic structure. Act 1 is currently released, with a future Act 2 and Free Roam mode confirmed for the future.

You play as a non-talkative protagonist known as Linda, who with a few friends is on a car trip, but they stumble upon a weird deserted city that isn't marked on their map. The friends go to investigate the town, and soon get wrapped up in some severe hauntings from the strange ghost that start coming out when night falls.

The game has a low-budget, and it shows. Graphically everything looks outdated, with low-res textures, odd character animations, and the like. There's also no real-time shadows. The game also has a few bugs. I didn't encounter anything game-breaking, but a few 'look through the wall with the camera', 'get stuck on an object for a moment', 'that character is levitating,' type of bugs, However, something I found interesting was that they didn't copy and paste many models. There were a lot of posters around town, and each one was legitimately different. Same with pictures, and just small details all about.Outside of a few chairs or piles of garbage, most of the models were unique to each other, and I was surprised the developers didn't take many shortcuts.

Mentioning this, something I noticed about the game is that there were a lot of secrets. And I don't think I've found them all (I found some items I have no idea what to do with, and noticed one of the items is in the game's 'How To Play' section, and it mentions a hidden boss, which I haven't encountered yet). There's more I have to say about this, but I'll get back to this.

The game has legitimately great atmosphere. There are some fantastic scares, the feeling of unnerve that is caused by the game. It has an atmosphere to it that most horror games these days are missing from the days of old, sort of a combination of dread and excitement for what's going to come next.

This is backed by fantastic audio design. The music is great, the sounds are great. Voicing is okay, a bit cheesy but enjoyably so. However, with the music, how it is and how it's used in the game, is really effective, and also I can mention unique. The music is very different than any other horror game I have played, but very effective. And how the music transitions with events going on is very well-done. The audio is also unnerving, and sometimes hearing a weird sound, even without knowing its source or even without it leading to anything, raised the tension.

1024x575.resizedimage

And the game does not lie on its laurels. By this I mean a lot happens, and the game never throws the same thing at you twice. I was honestly surprised by the number of ghosts there are in this game, there were a lot more than I was anticipating. Some great enemy variety, and you fight each ghost really only once or twice, there was not a single ghost I think the game threw at you a third time. And the 'events' that happen, like scares or atmospheric additions, were all incredibly varied too. This definitely helped to raise the intrigue as you never knew what might be coming next, and some of what happens really goes into the unexpected.

Combat is similar to Fatal Frame, but a bit more simplistic. There isn't a charge rate like Fatal Frame, or a point system, but the closer enemies are, the more you damage them when you take a shot. And if you attack them right before they attack you, you deliver additional damage.

Even the puzzles are well done and intelligent. Figuring out what to do is fun, and they do a good job at laying out clues to what you need to do to help piece it all together. They have clever hints and details, while not being extremely obvious either.

But there is a kicker to all of this; the game's current length. Act 1 of the game lasts for about three hours. It ends on a high note, the game gets better and better as it develops and Act 1 has a fantastic climax... But it ends as its getting very good, and leaves you wanting more, it might discourage some people from the current pricetag.

I think the developers should launch the future DLC for free, or else some people won't be able to justify the game at its current price. But at the same time, what they have here is fantastic, it legitimately is one of the best survival-horror games I think genre enthusiast who like certain elements of horror games that have been absent since the days of old will really appreciate. It's well-paced, well-executed, but due to the length maybe a little undercooked right now. I feel the price may be more justified if the future Act 2 and Free Roam DLC will be included freely for purchasers of the game.

1024x575.resizedimage

It feels like the length may have been a budget thing. The developers only had $26k to make the game, and my guess is that they were running low on funds and decided to release what they have so far to help development costs. And I hope it works, there is a very confident horror game here, and honestly some of the most fun I've had in a horror game in a while.

The weird thing is the secrets I mentioned earlier. There are complete sections of the game you could miss if you don't do some exploration. There are ghosts you won't fight unless you go off the beaten path. A tip to the wise is when it turns night-time and before you enter the school, don't enter the school like the game suggests and instead head back towards the town you just came from. There are literally four different types of ghosts if you head backwards at this point that you'll never encounter in the main game. And I feel there's more secrets and secret areas in the game I haven't yet unraveled, due to the mention of a hidden boss I haven't fought and a few achievements I'm missing. So on that front, there is some really cool optional content to explore in the game.

There's also a few cool unlockables. Once you complete the game, you unlock three additional outfits, all of which are actually pretty well designed, and can be used on a second and later playthrough.

And this stuff is all really cool. But again is arguable if it really makes it worth it. There's also a few side areas you can explore right now that don't really lead to anything, which I can only guess are there right now for the possible future Free Roam Mode (a lot of buildings and such are currently inaccessible, and I assume will be open in the free-roam mode the developers are working on).

I want DreadOut to succeed. I really liked what was here, I'd even go as far to say this has serious potential to be one of the best horror games for fans of the genre to release in the last few years. But it ends way too soon. and due to the $15 price-tag I honestly think the future DLC they're working on should be free, especially the continuation of the story, as there are no conclusions here.

But DreadOut is completely worth experiencing, even as it is now. It's tense, sometimes terrifying, has the right amount of weirdness to it, and is actually a lot of fun. Its low budget shows, especially in the graphics department, but through clever design, good execution, and variety at hand, manages to be a fun experience. I just at this point might have trouble recommending it if the future content doesn't get added for the price-tag the game currently holds, and want more of this.

^ As a horror game fan, I am really enjoying your reviews. Funny how "Show latest post" showed only the last picture and I went "huh, Fatal Frame is on Steam"?

I want DreadOut to succeed. I really liked what was here, I'd even go to say this has serious potential to be one of the best horror games for fans of the genre to release in the last few years. But it ends way too soon. and due to the $15 price-tag I honestly think the future DLC they're working on should be free, especially the continuation of the story, as there are no conclusions here.

Thanks Dusk Golem.

I think I'll probably wait to see how it all turns out, but it certainly has my interest.

mrgone

"If I can make Steam better, just think what I could do with your (dramatic pause) service?"

Interview check and mate.

Good luck with NOA for real! Hell of a coup if they get you first

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The weird thing is the secrets I mentioned earlier. There are complete sections of the game you could miss if you don't do some exploration. There are ghosts you won't fight unless you go off the beaten path. A tip to the wise is when it turns night-time and before you enter the school, don't enter the school like the game suggests and instead head back towards the town you just came from. There are literally four different types of ghosts if you head backwards at this point that you'll never encounter in the main game. And I feel there's more secrets and secret areas in the game I haven't yet unraveled, due to the mention of a hidden boss I haven't fought and a few achievements I'm missing. So on that front, there is some really cool optional content to explore in the game.

what secrets?

Those, and potential secrets like those.

I'm actually more hyped after reading those spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom