• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm, speaking of buying from a Russian trader, I have very little experience with that, so... isn't there a possibility that a game isn't region locked but become so retroactively ? I would hate to buy a copy of a game and learning a little later that I have a +1 unplayable game.

Only if the sub traders are buying is region-specific (unless you let the gift gather digital dust in your inventory*), but even so all past cases of retroactive runtime region-locks were reversed because of the collateral damage (some people would have received the game as a gift from an Eastern European friend while it was region-free). Well, there is technically one exception: Squeenix region-locked Thi4f's Eastern European sub months after the game went up for pre-purchase, but since traders were using a trick to get around the fact that gift purchasing was disabled I'd argue it doesn't really count. (I did try to convince Squeenix to remove the restriction since I knew it'd affect a few people, but my ticket was ignored and the thread I made on the Eidos forums was later merged with the PC/next-gen mega-thread to surreptitiously ensure the matter would fall off the radar.)

* Disabling cross-region gifting/trading also affects unused gift copies. Some people found this out the hard way with South Park.

Arthea

Not Steam, but GOG is doing a Spring Insomnia Sale. If it works the same as the fall one, there'll be a bunch of games at deep discount, limited amount and occasional freebies that get grabbed by bots (and at least one or two games that stay on sale forever because no on wants them). In the fall, they repeated the games two or three times.

http://www.gog.com/
noooooo.jpg

no sleep, no money
that's the life (><)

edited: also Arcanum is one of the best games ever, and it shows, almost sold out.

Knurek

noooooo.jpg

no sleep, no money
that's the life (><)

edited: also Arcanum is one of the best games ever, and it shows, almost sold out.

Good that I (and all of you, really) have pretty much every notable GOG game already in collection.
(Hoping for 75% off of HoM&M 4 and Heroes Chronicles).

Arthea

Good that I (and all of you, really) have pretty much every notable GOG game already in collection.
(Hoping for 75% off of HoM&M 4 and Heroes Chronicles).

I still need a few, but I stopped buying new indie games on gog as I buy them on steam now, so it's not many that I still need, true.

Arthea

I can count the number of games I played that I bought during the last insomnia sale with zero fingers. :( Still gonna buy stuff.

I've actually played even Witcher games from gog, not mentioning old games.
Then again, now I mostly play games on steam, but I keep buying old games, what if I will want to replay something? and gog guarantees all are playable, so there is that.

A big thank you to Arthea for Guacamelee ! Glorious times ahead :)

you are welcome, enjoy!

fantomena

Arklash Legacy is 75% off on GOG right now. VALVE WHY ARE SO HIPSTERS! GIVE ME SAMN SALE ALREADY!

I really want Aarklash, but on Steam.

Arthea

It's Aarklash now, which is another game that I want on steam. What have I become?

one of us!
I see steam of some sort of drugs, because I'm surely addicted to activity feed and buying steam games.

I still think that gog is awesome, though.
and Arcanum is gone, all is well in this world.

Li Kao

Only if the sub traders are buying is region-specific (unless you let the gift gather digital dust in your inventory*), but even so all past cases of retroactive runtime region-locks were reversed because of the collateral damage (some people would have received the game as a gift from an Eastern European friend while it was region-free). Well, there is technically one exception: Squeenix region-locked Thi4f's Eastern European sub months after the game went up for pre-purchase, but since traders were using a trick to get around the fact that gift purchasing was disabled I'd argue it doesn't really count. (I did try to convince Squeenix to remove the restriction since I knew it'd affect a few people, but my ticket was ignored and the thread I made on the Eidos forums was later merged with the PC/next-gen mega-thread to surreptitiously ensure the matter would fall off the radar.)

* Disabling cross-region gifting/trading also affects unused gift copies. Some people found this out the hard way with South Park.

So you are saying that if a game isn't locked at the time of purchase and that I immediately register it, I have little to fear from publishers going bonkers and retroactively lock the game ?
Interesting, there is a lot of nice new games and a definite lack of funds.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So you are saying that if a game isn't locked at the time of purchase and that I immediately register it, I have little to fear from publishers going bonkers and retroactively lock the game ?
Interesting, there is a lot of nice new games and a definite lack of funds.

Pretty much, yeah.

Copons

Do you know if some games on GOG gives a Steam key (like some on Desura)? In this case, is there a list around to check?

Because I know myself, I have every Fallouts on GOG but I've never even bothered to install them because I DONT EVEN KNOW... :'(

Knurek

Do you know if some games on GOG gives a Steam key (like some on Desura)? In this case, is there a list around to check?

Because I know myself, I have every Fallouts on GOG but I've never even bothered to install them because I DONT EVEN KNOW... :'(

There's only one game that does that, Race the Sun.

didamangi

Technically none, but if I'm not mistaken Race The Sun developer will give a steam key via his website if you bought the game on GOG.

edit: damn you Knurek!! avatarquote.jpg

Arthea

as a rule, gog games give no steam keys, so there is no need for a list. But I remember Jasec (or maybe it was not him) finding exception to this rule once.

edited: beaten many times, it hurts

Thank you all!

Even though, didamangi and Arthea, you two sure are slow eh! :p

(._.)
I'll try to be faster next time

Copons

There's only one game that does that, Race the Sun.

Technically none, but if I'm not mistaken Race The Sun developer will give a steam key via his website if you bought the game on GOG.

edit: damn you Knurek!! avatarquote.jpg

as a rule, gog games give no steam keys, so there is no need for a list. But I remember Jasec (or maybe it was not him) finding exception to this rule once.

edited: beaten many times, it hurts

Thank you all!

Even though, didamangi and Arthea, you two sure are slow eh! :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
DreadOut Devs have confirmed now from input that Act 2 will be free for all purchasers of DreadOut as a free update to the game later this year with a lot more content. Free Roam Mode will be paid DLC.

Which is fantastic, and makes the game a lot easier for me to recommend. My revised review:

header_292x136.jpg

DreadOut is an Indonesian survival-horror game that takes inspiration from the Fatal Frame franchise, and pulls a lot from Indonesian myths and folklore. The game is currently incomplete, with a sort of episodic structure. Act 1 is currently released, with a future Act 2 and Free Roam mode confirmed for the future (Act 2 will be free for all purchasers, Free Roam is paid DLC).

You play as a non-talkative protagonist known as Linda, who with a few friends is on a car trip, but they stumble upon a weird deserted city that isn't marked on their map. The friends go to investigate the town, and soon get wrapped up in some severe hauntings from the strange ghost that start coming out when night falls.

The game has a low-budget, and it shows. Graphically everything looks outdated, with low-res textures, odd character animations, and the like. There's also no real-time shadows. The game also has a few bugs. I didn't encounter anything game-breaking, but a few 'look through the wall with the camera', 'get stuck on an object for a moment', 'that character is levitating,' type of bugs, However, something I found interesting was that they didn't copy and paste many models. There were a lot of posters around town, and each one was legitimately different. Same with pictures, and just small details all about.Outside of a few chairs or piles of garbage, most of the models were unique to each other, and I was surprised the developers didn't take many shortcuts.

Mentioning this, something I noticed about the game is that there were a lot of secrets. And I don't think I've found them all (I found some items I have no idea what to do with, and noticed one of the items is in the game's 'How To Play' section, and it mentions a hidden boss, which I haven't encountered yet). There's more I have to say about this, but I'll get back to this.

The game has legitimately great atmosphere. There are some fantastic scares, the feeling of unnerve that is caused by the game. It has an atmosphere to it that most horror games these days are missing from the days of old, sort of a combination of dread and excitement for what's going to come next.

This is backed by fantastic audio design. The music is great, the sounds are great. Voicing is okay, a bit cheesy but enjoyably so. However, with the music, how it is and how it's used in the game, is really effective, and also I can mention unique. The music is very different than any other horror game I have played, but very effective. And how the music transitions with events going on is very well-done. The audio is also unnerving, and sometimes hearing a weird sound, even without knowing its source or even without it leading to anything, raised the tension.

1024x575.resizedimage

And the game does not lie on its laurels. By this I mean a lot happens, and the game never throws the same thing at you twice. I was honestly surprised by the number of ghosts there are in this game, there were a lot more than I was anticipating. Some great enemy variety, and you fight each ghost really only once or twice, there was not a single ghost I think the game threw at you a third time. And the 'events' that happen, like scares or atmospheric additions, were all incredibly varied too. This definitely helped to raise the intrigue as you never knew what might be coming next, and some of what happens really goes into the unexpected.

Combat is similar to Fatal Frame, but a bit more simplistic. There isn't a charge rate like Fatal Frame, or a point system, but the closer enemies are, the more you damage them when you take a shot. And if you attack them right before they attack you, you deliver additional damage.

Even the puzzles are well done and intelligent. Figuring out what to do is fun, and they do a good job at laying out clues to what you need to do to help piece it all together. They have clever hints and details, while not being extremely obvious either. However, it should be mentioned that those with less patience and less a desire to figure out cryptic clues may not like how they're handled. However, if you loved puzzles from horror games in the 90s (which have been notably absent in recent years), then you'll likely be quite happy to see some return to form here.

But there is a kicker to all of this; the game's current length. Act 1 of the game lasts for about three hours. It ends on a high note, the game gets better and better as it develops and Act 1 has a fantastic climax... But it ends as its getting very good, and leaves you wanting more. Act 2 will be added to the game freely later, however, but putting $15 down for a currently 3-5 hour experience without any clue how long Act 2 will be may be a bit much for some buyers.

As it is now, it's a bit short, and to be seen how long the entire package of the game will be, but what they have here is fantastic, it legitimately is one of the best classic-styled survival-horror games to release in the last few years, and I think genre enthusiast who like certain elements of horror games that have been absent since the days of old will really appreciate. It's well-paced, well-executed, but due to the length for Act 1 maybe a little undercooked right now.

It feels like the length may have been a budget thing. The developers only had $26k to make the game, and my guess is that they were running low on funds and decided to release what they have so far to help development costs. And I hope it works, there is a very confident horror game here, and honestly some of the most fun I've had in a horror game in a while.

1024x575.resizedimage

The weird thing is the secrets I mentioned earlier. There are complete sections of the game you could miss if you don't do some exploration. There are ghosts you won't fight unless you go off the beaten path. A tip to the wise is when it turns night-time and before you enter the school, don't enter the school like the game suggests and instead head back towards the town you just came from. There are literally four different types of ghosts if you head backwards at this point that you'll never encounter in the main game. And I feel there's more secrets and secret areas in the game I haven't yet unraveled, due to the mention of a hidden boss I haven't fought and a few achievements I'm missing. So on that front, there is some really cool optional content to explore in the game.

There's also a few cool unlockables. Once you complete the game, you unlock three additional outfits, all of which are actually pretty well designed, and can be used on a second and later playthrough.

There's also a few side areas you can explore right now that don't really lead to anything, which I can only guess are there right now for the possible future Free Roam Mode (a lot of buildings and such are currently inaccessible, and I assume will be open in the free-roam mode the developers are working on).

I want DreadOut to succeed. I really liked what was here, I'd even go as far to say this has serious potential to be one of the best horror games for fans of the genre to release in the last few years. But Act 1 goes by easily in 3-5 hours, and as of the moment of this review there are no conclusions here.

But DreadOut is completely worth experiencing, even as it is now. It's tense, sometimes terrifying, has the right amount of weirdness to it, and is actually a lot of fun. Its low budget shows, especially in the graphics department, and Act 1 is a bit short, but through clever design, good execution, and variety at hand, manages to be a fun experience.

Chronoja

Arklash Legacy is 75% off on GOG right now. VALVE WHY ARE SO HIPSTERS! GIVE ME SAMN SALE ALREADY!

I really want Aarklash, but on Steam.

I played the demo of that a couple of weeks ago and while I didn't try that hard, I never beat the boss at what I assume was the end of the demo. The difficulty seems brutal, but in a good way, hard to tell from the demo though, it was enough to intrigue me into wanting to get it.

fantomena

Bought Killer is Dead for 8&#8364; from a trader. So I just spared 10&#8364; buy not buying it from my Steam store.

Thank you Putin and god bless Russia.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
sounds great, maybe if it goes a bit cheaper i'll see if i can see past that ass haha

If it makes you happy, once you beat the game once you unlock a few different costumes you can replay the game with.

ss_187ed5d60ff9d59cf4b352ba18836c786d62708c.600x338.jpg

That one is on the Steam Store page, so not really a spoiler. The other two:

Unlockable Costume 2
Unlockable Costume 3

(the public one is my personal favorite, it also looks really cool in the darker environments. Then the second costume, then the third.)

I'm really sorry guys, what I did was wrong. I really apologize. I will leave Neogaf if you think that is what's right.

Where's my .gif of Michael Jordan busting out laughing when I need it!?

Meanwhile, I'm considering Planetary Annihilation, despite the fact that I have: a) no time b) an impending large purchase c) a record collecting habit that has dwarfed my Steam one, recently.

zkylon

zkylewd
If it makes you happy, once you beat the game once you unlock a few different costumes you can replay the game with.

ss_187ed5d60ff9d59cf4b352ba18836c786d62708c.600x338.jpg

That one is on the Steam Store page, so not really a spoiler. The other two:

Unlockable Costume 2
Unlockable Costume 3

(the public one is my personal favorite, it also looks really cool in the darker environments. Then the second costume, then the third.)
nah that's ok, i prolly wouldn't play it more than once anyways

it's just like imagine heather from sh3 walking around in a randomly see-through skirt, it just ruins the character for me and is just awkwardly distracting

such a strange decision, specially since it's a silent protagonist so it's not like they can exploit the character too much :I

Caerith

it's just like imagine heather from sh3 walking around in a randomly see-through skirt, it just ruins the character for me and is just awkwardly distracting

such a strange decision, specially since it's a silent protagonist so it's not like they can exploit the character too much :I

I'm hoping they patch in some opacity for her clothes.

_hekk05

Banned
I'm really sorry guys, what I did was wrong. I really apologize. I will leave Neogaf if you think that is what's right.

I understood that reference.

In stallion's defence, fantomena, when all was said and done, still went around asking if he should use SAM to fiddle around with achievements. Chorus of NOs.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I'm hoping they patch in some opacity for her clothes.

Waiting for the burka patch myself.

Arthea

I suddenly realised that if SE makes FF Agito (type 0) iOS port and then localizes it, and then ports it to steam....
That's almost too good to be true, that's why probably won't happen (><)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom