• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict

Posted this in the Playfire thread but it might be interesting to mention it here as well.

They've added separate rewards for Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut
The game is available now for a 85% discount on Steam making the price 2,70€.
At least for me, but that might be a special offer for people owning the vanilla version.

The game also has Steam Trading Cards.

Li Kao

Pretty much, yeah.

And could you remind me of the different things I have to look for in SteamDB ? The entries that one should look at to know if a game will be ok to purchase via traders ?
Just checked Rash's site and it says it can't parse the title "Dynasty Warriors 8" and that the game maybe isn't on the Russian Store.

textonly

Neo Member
New IndieGala Monday Bundle is live
https://www.indiegala.com/

Pay $1.49 or more to GET these games before PRICE INCREASES!
Also it seems there are price mistakes on multiple gifts, like per bundle = $0.67
Donate 2 gifts paying more than:
$2.09
Donate 3 gifts paying more than:
$2.41
Donate 4 gifts paying more than:
$2.80
Donate 5 gifts paying more than:
$3.35

Yay! Now I can have my own adventures, instead of just living vicariously through Zkylon's (admittedly fun) activity page travelogue posts!
bCxBGa9.png
Video games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And could you remind me of the different things I have to look for in SteamDB ? The entries that one should look at to know if a game will be ok to purchase via traders ?
Just checked Rash's site and it says it can't parse the title "Dynasty Warriors 8" and that the game maybe isn't on the Russian Store.

The flags you want to avoid are onlyallowrunincountries (as well as prohibitrunincountries where applicable) and AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting. Generally speaking, region-free RU/CIS subs are also fine, but you'd first want to ensure that gifting hasn't been disabled as you otherwise may find yourself in a Thi4f situation -- SteamDB doesn't offer this information so to do this you need to visit the Russian store and add the game to your cart (the "Purchase as a gift" button is greyed out if gifting is disabled).

StAidan

Having spent a few hours with it so far, here are my impressions of Meltdown.

This is an early access game that caught my attention from GAF’s indie games thread last month. I picked it up at that time (it’s only $4!) but only got around to playing it this past week.

Premise: Some space station is on the fritz and you’re a space military type of guy trying to shoot his way out, against a lot of robots who apparently don’t want you to leave.

Meltdown is an arcade-style shooter with procedurally generated levels and heavy RPG elements. It also includes online multiplayer (the devs say local is coming too). The procedural generation is pretty light since the path to the end is always linear, so really it’s a matter of mixing up the enemy spawns and changing the shape of a mission’s path. There are currently 30 missions -- with more promised -- as well as a “wave” mode and a “quick play” option. (Quick play is a randomly-generated mission based on your current level and abilities.)

There is a wide variety of weapons, of which you can carry 2 ranged and 1 melee at a time. You pretty much have to unlock and then purchase them all, though, so it takes a bit of work to reach the upper echelons of weaponry. Once you own a weapon, each has its own set of upgrades -- but you can’t buy every single upgrade! Each upgrade increases the “level” of the weapon in question, and a weapon’s maximum level is 9. This limitation is kind of nice, as it makes you think about what skills you want to emphasize.

Character upgrades are a little more straightforward, because eventually you can purchase them all. Each skill or skill upgrade costs 1 point, and you get another point every time your character levels up. (At max level, you have the familiar option of prestiging to start all over again.)

The difficulty level is pretty clearly balanced for multiplayer, and I noticed the developers admitted as much on their community forum. Still, having played quite a few rounds both ways, I can say that single player is fine with a little bit of grinding for weapon and skill upgrades. Multiplayer is the way to go if you have the option, but unfortunately the game hasn’t caught on that well -- it seems to average maybe 5 simultaneous players per day at its peak. It’s really too bad, because it’s a fun game and most certainly worth a $4 price tag, even at the ~3.5 hours I’ve put into it so far.

Anyway, my overall impressions of Meltdown are positive. If the type of game appeals to you, give it a spin. I plan to continue playing it myself.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yay! Now I can have my own adventures, instead of just living vicariously through Zkylon's (admittedly fun) activity page travelogue posts!

Video games.
lol didn't think anybody actually read those

you now have the great insight on how much time i spend playing barbie-dolls with my characters in rpgs

hope you enjoy it anyways, i've been liking it for the most part, even tho less-so than dks1.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ugh indieroyale bonus is NOT cognition ep 4 sigh... anyway have some stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

MacGuffin's Curse -- MB-E0CFACA926447A8D - Taken by dave is ok
Containment: The Zombie Puzzler -- MB-D9ABCA56A4212D66 - Taken by derExperte
Savant -- MB-5E5793712E920450 - Taken by Nabs

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I fucking hate this "email to get your key" bullshit, just put it on the fucking bundle pages. How do I even email proof of pruchase of a indiegala bundle, I dont keep those emails, I just keep the latest since the link gives you all your bundles

(this is for Iron Storm from the Mysterious Bundle btw)

I fucking hate this "email to get your key" bullshit, just put it on the fucking bundle pages. How do I even email proof of pruchase of a indiegala bundle, I dont keep those emails, I just keep the latest since the link gives you all your bundles

(this is for Iron Storm from the Mysterious Bundle btw)

Yeah it's a pain. I just sent them a screenshot from my bundle page where the game and my email is visible. Thanks for the heads-up.

Rhaknar

Yeah it's a pain. I just sent them a screenshot from my bundle page where the game and my email is visible. Thanks for the heads-up.

thats what I did. the thing is, I dont even know how to log in to indiegala, when you press forgot my password, they just mail you a link with all your bundles, basically the same as anytime you purchase a bundle

thats what I did. the thing is, I dont even know how to log in to indiegala, when you press forgot my password, they just mail you a link with all your bundles, basically the same as anytime you purchase a bundle

I don't have a login there, I just click on the link in the confirmation email. I didn't even know they had accounts and I don't really want to give them any more of my data.

Rhaknar

I don't have a login there, I just click on the link in the confirmation email. I didn't even know they had accounts and I don't really want to give them any more of my data.

yes exactly. anyway, keep us updated if they hooked you up with a key dude, ill do the same

Evrain

Just wrapped up The Walking Dead's season one.
Sweet Lord... I can't remember the last time a game brought me on the verge of crying. The storytelling is top notch, and so is the entire flow of events within the storyline. Perhaps not the absolute best, but we are dangerously close to being superlative.

Happy Monday

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Savant -- MB-84A40E9B0946EEE1 - Taken by nexen. 3 entrants total.

t1399910715z1.png

Wrong thread to ask this, but I stick with Steam for all PC gaming discussion.

I didn't enjoy Demon Souls at all. I've never played the first Dark Souls. I typically suck at very difficult games, but don't mind grinding up slowly to reach god mode.

Should I even consider getting Dark Souls 2? Should I start out with Dark Souls instead? Do you need to play the previous installment to understand what is going on? Am I too big of a wuss to enjoy the series?

lol didn't think anybody actually read those

you now have the great insight on how much time i spend playing barbie-dolls with my characters in rpgs

hope you enjoy it anyways, i've been liking it for the most part, even tho less-so than dks1.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to it. I finished up DkS1 a week or two ago, and am totally in the mood for more, which seems like an okay way to approach 2.

You may have convinced me to play a girl character as well, especially after playing as this blue haired menace in the last game:
x2zsEcH.jpg

Either way, I'm stoked to get into 2.

So I am going to buy some "keys" for transistor, I presume these are basic Mann store keys? Also what is the best website to trade keys for games?

I didn't enjoy Demon Souls at all. I've never played the first Dark Souls. I typically suck at very difficult games, but don't mind grinding up slowly to reach god mode.

Should I even consider getting Dark Souls 2? Should I start out with Dark Souls instead? Do you need to play the previous installment to understand what is going on? Am I too big of a wuss to enjoy the series?

If you didn't enjoy Demon Souls, I'd wait for the sales, and get Dark Souls 1, you'll probably be able to buy Dark Souls 1 for less than 10$ on the Summer sale.

Was going to grab another copy of Wolfenstein for a friend but GMG ended the 25% off coupon 25 minutes before they said they would(4PM UTC)

Lame!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I assure you this is way more appropriate than what is usually posted in this thread

I'd take the recommendation to wait for a sale. Keep it on your radar, though.

zkylon

zkylewd

both dark souls games are less punishing than demon's souls and dks2 is even less so since you can always easily summon someone to help you out if you're stuck

i personally liked dks1 more, the lore, the dungeons, the bosses, the characters, the weapons, the shortcuts.... everything was a little better so i'd still recommend it even if it's not as nice to you as dks2

that being said a lot of what people hate about demon's transfers over to dark, you can still lose a ton of progress if you're reckless, the animation priority thing isn't for everyone, boss runs are a necessary annoyance but they're still tedious and there's a lot you'll never figure out unless you use a guide. grinding will help but it'll never win the game for you.

if you find them cheap as to not make much of a $$$ investment i'd say give them a shot, specially dks1, they're terrific games and probably the most-forward thinking games to come out of big publishers in a loooooooong time (and probably FOR a long time too).

so yea like if it's 10 bucks or so risk it man, at least you'll know. it took me like three starts of demon's souls for me to finally like it, but it was well worth it

didamangi

Dark Souls is not about grinding though, you can still die pretty quickly with the "best" armor and weapons. Basically you have to observe and know enemy attack patterns to beat them, especially so with the numerous bosses. If you can get past the die and learn something phase you'll probably enjoy it. Although if you play as a caster and coop the bosses the game can be considerably easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom