• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Loading issues is not a reason to damn the whole port so quickly. There may be a day one patch that fixes the issue entirely.

If that is the largest issue here, then there may not be a problem at all.

I am presuming Watch Dawgs is U-Play? :(

There were rumors that the Steam version would ditch the client for a Uplay overlay.

Don't know if this rumor managed to materialize or not.

Loading issues is not a reason to damn the whole port so quickly. There may be a day one patch that fixes the issue entirely.

If that is the largest issue here, then there may not be a problem at all.

There were rumors that the Steam version would ditch the client for a Uplay overlay.

Don't know if this rumor managed to materialize or not

Day one if Steam has achievements / no uplay

I'm not entirely sure it's a parody, I think it's probably just terrible, even if it is Steam-GAF's game of the forever.
I'm pretty sure the devs know that people don't buy their game for award-winning gameplay, they might as well throw out something to match the game's reputation.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
See no one trusts this because generally Jim Sterling just states the blindingly fucking obvious opinion, but no one else has said anything about the game so now we are in uncharted territory.

DogMeat77

Is RUST one of those games that will increase in price once out of Early Access?

That was my understanding.

I put in over 200 hours in to the Rust early access. When the GAF group was playing and JayFray was hosting the server we had a shit load of fun. However, it became pretty obvious the that Garry doesn't really seem to have much of a plan or road map for Rust, at least in my worthless opinion.

I got it in a Humble Bundle with a bunch of other games, I'd say I got my $20 worth.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Sakamoto said the Prime series wasn't canon while making Other M. Creators are damn silly sometimes.
Sakamoto is dead to me
well, he was *already* dead for making Other M so I guess he's dead-er now

I saw the Watch_Dogs Edition thread...

FFFFUUUUUUUU.....
Bwahahaha this is such bullshit.
Not like Ubisoft is the only culprit in this kind of thing though.

Help demystifying Watch_Dogs pre-order items:
#dead

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I just got the SS3 playfire co-op achievement by using my feet and an xbox controller.

I'm not proud of myself.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A reminder if it hasn't been mentioned already - new walking dead episode in less than 3 hours

Really looking forward to it, I hope I have some free time tonight to play it.

Li Kao

Hmm, nearing the end of my Dark Souls 1 walkthrough. I still have to do the DLC which in itself is terrifying. But that's not my point, my point is fuck this constant autosave. My choice is either I probably fail miserably and can't save two NPC I'm quite fond of, or I cheese the game with a backup save if something goes awry.
The thing is, I may be a masochist, but the only time I cheesed was to make things back to normal, after the fucking Minotaur fell to his death on his own and I wanted to beat him.

Hmm, nearing the end of my Dark Souls 1 walkthrough. I still have to do the DLC which in itself is terrifying. But that's not my point, my point is fuck this constant autosave. My choice is either I probably fail miserably and can't save two NPC I'm quite fond of, or I cheese the game with a backup save if something goes awry.

Don't cheese. You can get there in hours in NG+ anyway and cheesing takes away the feels if they die.

AHA-Lambda

This is probably a dumb question but the requirements for Transistor on its store page say 1GB of vram.

I've only got 512mb, think I could get away with it? I find it hard to believe that I can run a game like Arkham Origins but not Transistor.

Yes, I am overdue an upgrade.

bump, probably a dumb question but would like some feedback.

nexen

You are rolling the dice.

1) It really doesn't use 1gb of vram = you are ok.

2) it does use 1gb of vram, but is built in such a way that it will swap = it will run slowly and/or stutter a lot. (How much depends on concurrent vram demand.)

3) it does use 1gb of vram, and is strict about it = it wont run at all, or will crash every now and then (how often depends on the same as above)

My money is on #2. If is easy to burn through vram and I doubt they spent much time on optimizing their use of it. Also, at least under DX9, #2 was the easier-to-build scenario.

Buy a video card, mang.

AHA-Lambda

You are rolling the dice.

1) It really doesn't use 1gb of vram = you are ok.

2) it does use 1gb of vram, but is built in such a way that it will swap = it will run slowly and/or stutter a lot. (How much depends on concurrent vram demand.)

3) it does use 1gb of vram, and is strict about it = it wont run at all, or will crash every now and then (how often depends on the same as above)

My money is on #2. If is easy to burn through vram and I doubt they spent much time on optimizing their use of it. Also, at least under DX9, #2 was the easier-to-build scenario.

Buy a video card, mang.

I have a mac, won't get to buy a new PC altogether until next year =/

didamangi

You could ask the developer directly via twitter or on the steam forums, 1gb of vram seems high for a game like Transistor.

Graphics: 1GB of VRAM: Intel HD 3000 GPU / AMD HD 5450 / Nvidia 9400 GT

That's kinda weird. You'll probably be okay. They even put in the option for 720p assets to help lower end machines for the pc version.

Dr Dogg

Well considering they list a 9400 GT on there as a recomended card which in of itself only had 512mb of dedicated VRAM i'd say you're probably safe. I'd say the 1gb requirement is accounting for shared graphics memory with your system. Go find your card in device manager and right click then properties and see what total you get. Short of some crazy AA or supersampling you cant tweak I can't see this needing 1gb as a minimum to be honest.

If in doubt why not tweet either Greg or Supergiant direct. Greg is quite engaging as is the person manning the official account. Of course that's if Twitter is something you use for communication.

https://twitter.com/supergiantgames

https://twitter.com/kasavin

Edit: Ah you got a Mac. Ok what card you got in there if you know?

I tried going back to Dark Souls 1 yesterday and was stopped at the gate by gfwl malfunctioning. Tried reinstalling and all the suggested fixes but nothing worked. Fix your fucking game Scamco... you've made enough money from pc gamers to do it.

This is relevant to my experience last night.

I downloaded and installed the game on Steam, then tried running the game. Instant crash to desktop. Interesting. Two more attempts with the same result. I verify the integrity of the files, and one file (17KB) is missing. Weird, since I literally had just downloaded the dang game. Steam downloads the file and I try launching again.

No joy. Google Fu tells me it relates to GFWL, and provides me a link to download that monstrosity. Yes, I purposefully chose to download GFWL on my computer. Game now loads. It looks like crap, so I download the DSfix (thanks, Durante!) and fix the resolution to something more tolerable.

I fire the game up again and get a warning that it can't connect to GFWL (which I thought was a dead service) and that I won't be able to save my progress. Ummmm, okay. I'm assuming this is a left over message from a crappy development port job and choose to proceed.

Instantly, I notice that all the button mapping prompts on screen are for a 360 controller. I don't see an option to switch that to PC-appropriate prompts. I try to exit to the menu, and find that the Escape key doesn't work. You know, the same key that EVERY PC game in existence uses to bring up the interface. Instead, From Software decided it should be mapped to the End key. That makes perfect logical sense...in bizarro world.

After toying around with the game some, I realize that I really need to play this on my wireless 360 controller, since the prompts are confusing the hell out of me and the game feels designed for a controller. I turn on my controller and the game doesn't recognize it, even though basically every other game in existence does. The prompts sit there on screen and tease me. "Press A to loot this corpse...haha, just kidding!"

Google Fu indicates this is a problem with a duplicate Microsoft Game Controller initiation, which required a four step process with the control panel and device manager to correct.

I fire the game back up and lo and behold, the controller now works! I go to resume my previous game and guess what? That GFWL warning wasn't kidding. The game won't save my progress. Not that I had advanced anywhere in the story, but there's no point to try and play the game if the game won't save my progress.

TLDR: Dark Souls on the PC requires an advanced engineering degree to run properly. There's also no way in hell I'm going to create a GFWL account in order to play this damn game. Uninstalled. I'll wait for Dark Souls 2 to go on sell and play a game that actually runs on the PC.

Tizoc

Help demystifying Watch_Dogs pre-order items:

Man part of me suspected most of that shit is unneeded, but this clarifies it. Is there a thread dedicated to this? Because there should be.

Those complaining or being hesitant towards Dynasty Warriors 8 because of it's $50 price point sort of come off as cheap ass gits.
Unless they're in Europe and it costs more than the US in which case, it's understandable if you want to wait for it to go on sale.

BTW can we link to SteamTraders on this thread?

Jshackles already said he got confirmation they'll be rolled out over the weeks. Yesterday was the deadline for publishers to set prizes.

Nzyme32

Quick question:

If I play a game that has an update released while I am playing it, will steam download it and apply it afterwards or would I have to be out of the game?
EDIT - Nevermind, The Walking Dead is already downloading ahead of schedule!

Portal 2. But I know, I know. It's just that with Source 2 on the horizon I was holding out for an E3 '03 moment.

Well, my working theory is that Source 2 really ought to be making a loud noise sometime before the end of they year. I get the impression that this is an engine they want to see adopted a bit more the OG Source

Fox318

That was my understanding.

I put in over 200 hours in to the Rust early access. When the GAF group was playing and JayFray was hosting the server we had a shit load of fun. However, it became pretty obvious the that Garry doesn't really seem to have much of a plan or road map for Rust, at least in my worthless opinion.

I got it in a Humble Bundle with a bunch of other games, I'd say I got my $20 worth.

I agree.

Don't buy Rust unless they lay out a timeline or vision for what they want the game to be. Game was great fun on the Neogaf server but they really shouldn't have released the game in the state it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom