• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

because we can? (><)
I'm not sure it's watch dogs exclusive problem, it happens with many games that generate hype.

Just wait until Watch_Dogs: The Dog Pound Edition come out with everything included for $49.99 and listen to the sounds of tables being flipped.

You're right though (and it's not an community exclusive phenomenon but quite widespread) there seams to be too much investment into a game these days. The obsession with review scores and metacritic numbers over the actual content of the review that came to that conclusion is quite bizarre when you read the comments section on any sites review.

I like to maintain a level of detachment and get some thoughts from people who I know what they like (for example my mates or you fine folks) but sometimes when I'm the only one with a game on my radar either I have to take a risk or get caught up in the hype. Still that's on me and I understand that and there's a lot of very subtle psychological practices out there in most AAA marketing campaigns that sucker you in.

aku:jiki

What does "AAA" even mean? I hate that phrase.

Good thing I also hate the games so I can live without season passes and all this other bullshit.

Zafir

I think I'm lucky in a sense that even if I some how get swept up in hype I still manage to remain some what neutral. Watch dogs I seem to have completely dodged the hype. Though honestly I feel like there isn't actually that much hype about it around here? Or maybe I'm just not going into the right threads.

saunderez

I know what you are saying but how can you get burned by buying a Season Pass that doesn't include everything? You get everything that was advertised in the Pass right? They didn't alter it and add new content in after you bought it no? I used to have a season ticket to my local football team and never did they include cup games as they were always extra.

Well no, not really. I'll admit Ubisoft are being honest but as many people have said with other games you have NFI what content you're getting until it's actually out, therefore making the entire Season Pass concept useless. I'm going to single out whatever the hell Saints Row game it was that basically said you'd get all DLC, then released a dozen DLC packs that weren't part of the Season Pass. Only takes one game to poison the Season Pass well and that was it for me. Watch_Dogs standard edition is all I've got pre-ordered at this stage, so I guess I'm just getting whatever the hell comes with that. I'm definitely not on the Watch_Dogs hate train like a lot of people on GAF, game looks awesome and I'm really looking forward to it.

Dr Dogg

So we're pretending Wolfenstein isn't AAA? Or am I wrong and it's AAAA?

Wolfenstein transcends vapid labels!

Alright in all seriousness the term AAA has turned into the most twisted marketing term the last 5 or so years. Lets go with the definition of "big budget game" to save squabbles. What was the budget on Wolfenstein: The New Order verses say... Watch_Dogs? (to keep this topical of course) I doubt few outside of ZeniMax or UbiSoft has a vaguely accurate clue. Yeah I think it's a given that UbiSoft spent more on production and then marketing than ZeniMax will but the way some people pick and chose what a AAA games is and the thresholds they have built up as to how one steps up to the AAA status is beyond me. Then again the term Indie has started to be used more like a genre classification rather than a subsection of the market.

To me they're all just games. Games I like the look of, games I'm on the fence with, games I'm not interested in. Even genres are getting muddier as times goes on. There's an obsession with pigeonholing that comes from the top with the publisher all the way down to the player.

Well no, not really. I'll admit Ubisoft are being honest but as many people have said with other games you have NFI what content you're getting until it's actually out, therefore making the entire Season Pass concept useless. I'm going to single out whatever the hell Saints Row game it was that basically said you'd get all DLC, then released a dozen DLC packs that weren't part of the Season Pass. Only takes one game to poison the Season Pass well and that was it for me. Watch_Dogs standard edition is all I've got pre-ordered at this stage, so I guess I'm just getting whatever the hell comes with that. I'm definitely not on the Watch_Dogs hate train like a lot of people on GAF, game looks awesome and I'm really looking forward to it.

Chairmanchuck made a very good point in sometimes though it's really ambiguous as to what you're getting for your money. The Saints Row The Third Season pass, while not including everything did have 3 extra pieces of single player content that ranged from piecemeal, 20 min distraction and really enjoyable content. Where as IV didn't really give you an idea what you were getting either but all of them were quite short (Enter the Dominatrix being both reworked cut The Third DLC and a mock look back style TV show that was more for the fans). Batman Arkham Origins went one further with just saying "...and a new single player campaign". Now was this just going to be another bunch of challenge maps like the Initiation DLC or more like Harley Quinns revenge? No one knew at the time or when it was going to be released but details did eventually emerge before Cold, Cold Heart came out and it was along the lines of the later.

End of the day it does need to be better communicated from the publishers how much you get with a Season Pass, how much additional & cosmetic DLC is going to to be supplemental to it and more over exactly what the content of these Passes contain. Look at Watch_Dogs, you can see its a campaign with T-Bone but what's the gameplay like? How many missions are there? How long is it? I get the feeling what with UbiSofts bold "60 minutes of gameplay" for there games which turns out to be 20 mins at best that waiting on the DLC is probably for the best (unless you're mental like me and bought it blind :p)

Arthea

Talking about hype, I remembered that I want to generate some hype for upcoming Trails (Sara (programmer) posted not long ago, that it is coming no matter what it takes! (that's the spirit!))). I want series on steam to come and stay, I want older and new games to be released, especially SC. For that FC need to sell like gangbusters.
So why would we want Trails in the Sky? Because it's a great game and that's why
1378428490599.jpg

and that's why

I'm so sorry for bad quality screenshot (._.)

Arthea

That image about word counts is pretty stupid. Japanese is not "one character = one word" at all.

I mean in the literal sense. What the hell does three A's in a row mean?

stupid or not, it's still drives the point home. And sometimes one character is one word.

edited:
about AAA, it literally means nothing, high quality game or something like that, one A means high scores, two A - high scores and innovation, 3A - high scores, sales and innovation. Basically AAA means that a game is popular, what we can say just by saying it is popular (><)

That image about word counts is pretty stupid. Japanese is not "one character = one word" at all.

I mean in the literal sense. What the hell does three A's in a row mean?

wikipedia says

Since AAA its an acronym, each "A" has a meaning regarding an overall quality.[7] One "A" is given to games that are considered to be successful (critics or reviewers give it a perfect, or almost perfect score), another "A" is used when a game brings "innovative Gameplay" (a gaming characteristic so unique that differentiate the game from all the rest), and finally, the last "A" defines "Financial Success" (game sales that generate a huge profit). A title consider to be AAA is therefore a high quality game and its expected to be among the year’s bestsellers.[8]

Soon after, video game journalism, reviewers, and even the companies press-releases,[9] would also use the term to classify games (in some cases, referring to it as an equivalent to a movie blockbuster).

As the years progressed and during the new millennium, many publishers started to consider their games to be AAA even before their release,[4][10][11] and justifying this decision through huge development and marketing budgets.[12] This lead to a misrepresentation of the AAA title, since not all games with a huge budget (specially for consoles), are either a financial success, critical success or have innovative gameplay.

jffpZDkGNMwWc.png

YGYh9.gif

I might write up something about it eventually, but I dunno if it'd be worthwhile -- anything I could say would be amply said elsewhere. Too exhausted for now either way. I liked it.

Arthea

pics
I might write up something about it eventually, but I dunno if it'd be worthwhile -- anything I could say would be amply said elsewhere. Too exhausted for now either way. I liked it.

How hard was it? To get all achievements, I mean.
Also congratulations are in order? Congratulations! 73 hours... that's scary

KarmaCow

The hardest are the get all magic scroll achievements. Well maybe not hard but they take the longest because some either
require 500 PvP kills or getting half way through ng++.

Tizoc

I'll say this much about Watch_dogs, the fact that they acknowledge my region is kinda neat, but at the same time I can't help but laugh at how not a single ver. of the game has all those extra content.

Grid Autosport for 16 Pounds, should I bite GAF?
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/grid-autosport-pc-cd-key-steam

So we're pretending Wolfenstein isn't AAA? Or am I wrong and it's AAAA?

If by 'we' you mean SteamGAF, then you are wrong and right; it is AAAA.

Not especially, I ended up being fairly thorough on my first run which minimized the amount I had left over. After my NG run I was mostly gunning for collecting the rest of the spells and doing two NPC sidequests. If anything I had an easier time with this one as they didn't feature achievements for collecting all special weaponry and upgrading each path this time around.

Dr Dogg

That 4A Malta brings me to, what's up with Valve Luxembourg? Or that UK studio?

That was about a year ago that was mentioned now? I swear sometimes Valve is like that warehouse in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'm sure everything we have problems with are being handled by top men... TOP MEN.

Zafir

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/grid-autosport-pc-cd-key-steam[/url]
You probably won't find it much cheaper. I had a look at it on Steam db the other day and it has a RU + CIS store sub. I suppose there's a chance they may not use it but won't know till it goes up.

Knurek

Talking about hype, I remembered that I want to generate some hype for upcoming Trails (Sara (programmer) posted not long ago, that it is coming no matter what it takes! (that's the spirit!))). I want series on steam to come and stay, I want older and new games to be released, especially SC. For that FC need to sell like gangbusters.)

Not that I'm saying TitS series is bad or anything like that, and I'm really looking forward to the game as well, but I've realized long time ago that wordcount != quality.
Especially for Japanese media the opposite seems to be true.
Editing FTW

Arthea

Not that I'm saying TitS series is bad or anything like that, and I'm really looking forward to the game as well, but I've realized long time ago that wordcount != quality.
Especially for Japanese media the opposite seems to be true.
Editing FTW

Normally I would agree, but not in the case of Trails, that's why I posted that screenshot, writing is selling point of Trails.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
QfqLvFL.png

GAF, what do I do? Sell for 30p or take a risk of getting one of those sweet, sweet Bad Rats foils?

Check the price history graph. Some boosters can sit for a week or more before selling, in which case you'd be better off just rolling the dice and unpacking it.

Knurek

Normally I would agree, but not in the case of Trails, that's why I posted that screenshot, writing is selling point of Trails.

The screenshot looks more like a joke added during the localization process, unless the original devs were big on Braveheart.

Arthea

The screenshot looks more like a joke added during the localization process, unless the original devs were big on Braveheart.

it's sorta spoiler, depends how you look at it, but that's not one time event, not at all (><)
You haven't played it?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Check the price history graph. Some boosters can sit for a week or more before selling, in which case you'd be better off just rolling the dice and unpacking it.

Seems like they're selling fairly regularly at the moment. I've matched the low price so we'll see what happens. If it's not sold by the end of the day I'll unpack and share my findings.

Knurek

it's sorta spoiler, depends how you look at it, but that's not one time event, not at all (><)
You haven't played it?

Dabbled a bit with PSP version, up to the farm scenario... So, granted, not much, but enough to know I will like the superior PC version.

Acccent

While the metro map looks like a clusterfuck, it is not in reality: it is very easy to go from one point of the city to any other by relying solely on one or two (it is very rare to have to change twice) lines of the metro. The only problem with the metro is the huge amount of stairs, which makes in unpractical for elederly people and pregnant women. Moreover, you have to keep in mind the metro in Paris opened in 1900.

Did I hurt your parisian feelings? :p

Also, no one has an answer to this?
(basically, is it allowed to have several Steam account?)

Or...you could craft a badge and wear it.

I really want to know what type of person is buying bad rats cards for such high prices. I would also love to see how much money the game has made. I think making something equally bad but using anime girls would rocket me to millionaire status, especially with card sales.

How's the name Bad Waifus sound?

Arthea

Do I dare live the dream? What if I do that and all other badges lose meaning? What if I achieve that honour and all other things pale in comparison? That's a risk I'm not willing to take.

someone has to! Think about it, why not you?

Actually, anybody crafted that badge? Care to post how it looks if you did? (><)

Tizoc

You probably won't find it much cheaper. I had a look at it on Steam db the other day and it has a RU + CIS store sub. I suppose there's a chance they may not use it but won't know till it goes up.

The question is if they're site is trustworthy far as Steam codes go. I did use their site to get a 1 year of Plus which went fine.

JaseC

I think I might smash through Wolf09 again in preparation for Wolf14. In hindsight, though, I probably should have downloaded Riddick instead considering Machine's pedigree.

While the metro map looks like a clusterfuck, it is not in reality: it is very easy to go from one point of the city to any other by relying solely on one or two (it is very rare to have to change twice) lines of the metro. The only problem with the metro is the huge amount of stairs, which makes in unpractical for elederly people and pregnant women. Moreover, you have to keep in mind the metro in Paris opened in 1900.

I just got back from there. Being a Floridian, where we couldn't have a metro unless we gouged through the aquifer and all of our stops were sinkholes, the metro in Paris was perfectly simple. The maps were pretty intuitive and the trains were more frequent than either DC or NYC.

Driving there is a whole other issue.

derExperte

Is this really true?

Damn, I live in Austria and I want to get the English original version of Wolfenstein: The New Order (German audio sucks).

If I go the VPN way, do I have to use an US VPN connection every time I want to start the game?

No, 'prohibitrunincountries AT' was removed, it's now only 'prohibitrunincountries DE'.

JaseC

No, 'prohibitrunincountries AT' was removed, it's now only 'prohibitrunincountries DE'.

It should be said that the Steam AT store sub is still the German one, so while ROW retail keys are, as of about a week-and-half ago, now a solution, buying the game on Steam directly will still net you the censored version.

Edit: I missed the fact that he said he lives in Austria. Oh well, he knows now. ;) But I'll add that he still needs to use a VPN to activate a ROW key.

Sendou

I got a 50% off coupon for Girls Like Robots from crafting The Swapper badge. So if anyone wants to get that game then PM me for a coupon. With that coupon the game is cheaper than the Historical Lowest Price ES claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom