• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiru

Looks like the keys have the same subs as before, so not only 3 tiers:

FTmy2r1.png

Vlad

Thanks!

You've almost sold me on it.

Is the DLC worth it too? Does the DLC change the core game right off the bat or just add to it? Can it be toggled on/off (if need be, not sure).

Is the DLC even necessary?

The DLC doesn't really change the core game at all. It adds a bunch of new items to the rotation, a challenge mode (ten or so different pre-set item builds for you to start the game with, basically), a new character, and a couple new levels towards the end of the game, as well as alternates for existing levels. You don't really need to toggle it on or off, and I don't even know if it's possible. All things considered, though, I'd say buy the main game, and if you like the feel of it after an hour or so, go ahead and get the DLC. I can't think of any reason not to if you're a fan of the core BoI experience.

StAidan

I believe I already got all the collectables, even the ones in the secret cat level I did spend so much time yesterday trying to time the jump correctly.

If you're at 99% then you probably have them all (the endgame section will bump you the extra % before you grab the "win" orb). 98% and you're definitely missing something.

In any case, if you can manage to get yourself down to just 1 or 2 rooms that give you trouble, cat mode isn't so bad. The main thing to figure out is plotting your route. Since you aren't collecting anything but the powerups, you can run the entire game in 6-7 minutes which isn't much lost time if you happen to fail an attempt. :)

aku:jiki

Oh lawd help me fourteen days of bundles?! I'm moving this month! I guess I will just have to forsake furniture.

What makes it the GOAT? I literally know almost nothing about the game, other than the hype and its reputation because of said hype.
It's a roguelite dualstick shooter with lots of loot that does fun and interesting things, from synergy to changing around your entire playstyle on the fly. The loot is very creative and fun and McMillen has not given any fucks about throwing in a few items that are stupidly OP and win the game for you, but also very fun to use, meaning that every time you open an treasure room is exciting. Even after 130 hours of play, for me, I'd still be like "OOOH!" when I opened the door and saw Epic Fetus or Polyphemus or even Mutant Spider. It strikes a wonderful balance with the items, the rarity being carefully balanced to both keep you wanting more and rewarding you often enough to keep you going.

It has its problems - actually quite a few and it's why they're creating a remake after just a couple years - but what's there is creative, engrossing, fun and deeper than the abyss. It's the kind of game you can just pick up and play and read the item descriptions and have fun that way, but if you get into it there's a whole labyrinth of probability math and hidden synergies to find. The wiki will be a constant tab in your browser the entire time you play it, if you get into that.

It is, seriously, one of my favorite games of all time and I just bought it a month ago! Then again I adore dualsticks, I adore loot games and I adore the roguelike formula, so this game was pretty much made specifically for me.

Fair warning, though, I guess... McMillen went all out and the story is actually deep, disturbing and pretty sad. Isaac's bullets are the tears he's shedding because his nutjob mom is trying to kill him, and there's a deep rabbit hole of disturbing shit going on from there. It's also ruthlessly hostile against christianity.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Dark Souls log.

I marched further into Anor Londo. Went upstairs to the main building and had to fight another giants. Found a dead end and moved right side to find a bunch of albino demons. I killed them, and moved on a very narrow ledge until I found a small tower and killed a couple more of albino demos. I was hit by a spear then, who fired this? I looked everywhere and saw this couple of archers that fire the goddamn biggest arrows ever. I found a small safe place. They aren't going to run out of arrows right? I tried my luck and ran forward, then right to face the archer then... bam! a giant arrow on my back, then another from the front and dropped to my death.
Made my way back to the same place, ran upwards, then left to kill the other archer, it drew a sword and pushed me out of the ledge. Damn.
Came back again, I need to be faster. I need to be stronger. I was sent to my doom again.
These archers are cheap.
But... me? I persevere >:)
Roll under the arrows!
Run to the guy on the left and legslash the heck out of him.
But yeah, those guy's are nasty. But don't worry, Anor Lando's bossfights is even thougher.

19Kilo

Couple spares from the Bundlestars Turbo Bundle:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

RACE Injection -- MB-118BDF857BADFAB5 - Taken by MMBosstones86
GTR Evolution -- MB-F141CBC7D874AD70 - Taken by topyy

man, if that bundle's BTA falls below $5 I might just jump on it for Saints Row 2 alone and ill try and give dead island another chance since the PS3 version did nothing for me

If you're at 99% then you probably have them all (the endgame section will bump you the extra % before you grab the "win" orb). 98% and you're definitely missing something.

In any case, if you can manage to get yourself down to just 1 or 2 rooms that give you trouble, cat mode isn't so bad. The main thing to figure out is plotting your route. Since you aren't collecting anything but the powerups, you can run the entire game in 6-7 minutes which isn't much lost time if you happen to fail an attempt. :)

Thanks, I'll check later how much is my completion rate and later start learning the shortest route.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Missed me! Happy birthday Jase!
Merry Christmas Saoirse C!
Humble Repeat Bundle :lol

Edit: JaseC deserves better for his birthday.

Happy birthday Jase!
Merry Christmas Saoirse C!
Happy birthday JaseC!

You look lovely today!
So guyz, is JaseC legal now?

Gratz!
Happy Birthday JaseC!!!!!
Happy Birthday JaseC!!!!
Happy birthday, JaseC!
Happy Birthday JaseC
And happy birthday JaseC!
Also, happy birthday JaseC :)
Not quite, LOL

Happy birthday!

Thanks!

If you don't mind giving money directly to Strategy First they have a Steam key sale at their site with a few things that haven't been discounted on Steam itself. Yet, anyway.

http://www.strategyfirst.com/products/category/30-steam-keys/limit:1000

Highlights:

- The modern classic Shannon Tweed's Attack of the Groupies
- Future gag gift standard Real Horror Stories for 20 cents USD
- The almost never discounted, normally 30 bucks, Graviteam Tactics

Cheers, there are a handful of titles I don't have that aren't discounted on Steam.

Jase would be the most difficult person to gift Steam games to on his birthday!

Haha, well, I do have a wishlist but I think I already own everything I actually want to play.

Did JaceC get the Tuvaluan Edition of Blur as a gift?

Sadly, no. :p

Vuze

man, if that bundle's BTA falls below $5 I might just jump on it for Saints Row 2 alone and ill try and give dead island another chance since the PS3 version did nothing for me

Yup, will also jump in if below 5$ I guess.

I played SR3 on my PotatoStation and totally loved it, don't know about the port quality but I think the DLCs alone would be worth a replay since I haven't played them on PS3.

Also intersted in Metro 2033.

Joe Molotov

lol @ Jase's happy birthday dogecard

░░wow░░░▌▒█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▒▌░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▌▒▒█much land down under ░░░░
░░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐░░░░
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐░░░░░
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░such bogan ▒▒▀██▀▒▌░░░░
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒▌░░░░
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐░░░░
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀▄▌░░░
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▌░░░
░▀▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒▒▒ very kangaroo ▐░░░
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▒▒▌░░

Kiru

Ok interesting stuff. HumbleBundle got this new banner on their facebook page. Do you think they might hint at new bundles ? Or just random games on their store? At least Riptide is in there.

PzTBnFt.png

1. Dead Island Riptide
2. Worms
3. FTL
4. The Banner Saga
5. Hammerwatch
6. Universe Sandbox

Deadbeat

Banned
I'm now closer to 30 than 20.
We all joke about getting old but unless you look and feel older than your age then it means nothing. Besides I'm older than you and I'm not curled up in a ball dreaming of the glory days of freedom and an energetic youth stressed at the every passing day knowing it's one more step to the grave.

You have a good birthday.

Vuze

Ok interesting stuff. HumbleBundle got this new banner on their facebook page. Do you think they might hint at new bundles ? Or just random games. At least Riptide is in there.

1. Dead Island Riptide
2. Worms
3. ?
4. The Banner Saga
5. Hammer Watch
6. Universe Sandbox

Yeah, probably. Worms was in the Team17 bundle a while back.

The_Monk

If it wasn't for the Walking Season 2 updating I would have forgotten that the new episode was out. Which is embarrassing since I remember posting in here, getting tired is terrible and my coffee is not helping me...

Also, Happy Birdthday JaseC, hope you can celebrate many more years near us! Thank you for your constant updates and good mood around the Community. ;)

Gintoki

Ok interesting stuff. HumbleBundle got this new banner on their facebook page. Do you think they might hint at new bundles ? Or just random games on their store? At least Riptide is in there.

1. Dead Island Riptide
2. Worms
3. ?
4. The Banner Saga
5. Hammerwatch
6. Universe Sandbox

Third one is probably FTL

The DLC doesn't really change the core game at all. It adds a bunch of new items to the rotation, a challenge mode (ten or so different pre-set item builds for you to start the game with, basically), a new character, and a couple new levels towards the end of the game, as well as alternates for existing levels. You don't really need to toggle it on or off, and I don't even know if it's possible. All things considered, though, I'd say buy the main game, and if you like the feel of it after an hour or so, go ahead and get the DLC. I can't think of any reason not to if you're a fan of the core BoI experience.
Oh lawd help me fourteen days of bundles?! I'm moving this month! I guess I will just have to forsake furniture.

It's a roguelite dualstick shooter with lots of loot that does fun and interesting things, from synergy to changing around your entire playstyle on the fly. The loot is very creative and fun and McMillen has not given any fucks about throwing in a few items that are stupidly OP and win the game for you, but also very fun to use, meaning that every time you open an treasure room is exciting. Even after 130 hours of play, for me, I'd still be like "OOOH!" when I opened the door and saw Epic Fetus or Polyphemus or even Mutant Spider. It strikes a wonderful balance with the items, the rarity being carefully balanced to both keep you wanting more and rewarding you often enough to keep you going.

It has its problems - actually quite a few and it's why they're creating a remake after just a couple years - but what's there is creative, engrossing, fun and deeper than the abyss. It's the kind of game you can just pick up and play and read the item descriptions and have fun that way, but if you get into it there's a whole labyrinth of probability math and hidden synergies to find. The wiki will be a constant tab in your browser the entire time you play it, if you get into that.

It is, seriously, one of my favorite games of all time and I just bought it a month ago! Then again I adore dualsticks, I adore loot games and I adore the roguelike formula, so this game was pretty much made specifically for me.

Fair warning, though, I guess... McMillen went all out and the story is actually deep, disturbing and pretty sad. Isaac's bullets are the tears he's shedding because his nutjob mom is trying to kill him, and there's a deep rabbit hole of disturbing shit going on from there. It's also ruthlessly hostile against christianity.
Thanks. But with this Humble daily bundle business, now I'm wondering if I should wait and hope Isaac reappears in one those so I can save myself some moneys. Yeah, I know, I know... Only 99 cents right now, but still. Does that make me horrible?

Edit: The anti-Christianity sentiment doesn't impress me. Don't want to start a religious debate here - I am okay with different beliefs - but I don't know if I like the idea of paying for entertainment that preaches an agenda to me.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC, four was some other game. There was an outline of it or something, and people were trying to figure it out before the bundle dropped first time around.

Do you mean that Groupees' bundle where the picture slowly went up in parts and it was revealed to be Bardbarian?

The image in the Humble Bundle banner is this:

banner-saga.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here are some spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Making History 2: The War of the World -- MB-495D6C9D940B6016 - Taken by NingenJanai
Containment: The Zombie Puzzler -- MB-98CA7BFC33167809 - Taken by KenOD
Savant: Ascent -- MB-94FD592129BC1B41 - Taken by nightstorm
MacGuffin's Curse -- MB-2D7451759ACCFF70 - Taken by didamangi
Final Rush -- MB-A2587BC35B77F112 - Taken by Scipius
Real Horror Stories: Ultimate Edition -- MB-65008F1442225ED9 - Taken by Crentist the Dentist

I'm glad Real Horror Stories was only 20c as I managed to miss the fact that I already own it.

We all joke about getting old but unless you look and feel older than your age then it means nothing. Besides I'm older than you and I'm not curled up in a ball dreaming of the glory days of freedom and an energetic youth stressed at the every passing day knowing it's one more step to the grave.

You have a good birthday.
Also, Happy Birdthday JaseC, hope you can celebrate many more years near us! Thank you for your constant updates and good mood around the Community. ;)

Cheers. :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah, was waiting on things getting layed out before deciding to get it on the PS4. Since it isn't even hitting native res I'll wait till I upgrade my PC some instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom