• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
So has anyone in here bought and put any time into DW8XL?

Is it as bad as Jim Sterling says?

What is wrong with DW8XL? I don't own it, but it seems interesting.

I hope it's not another port as dire as the ones for Deadly Premonitions or Dark Souls 1...

Edit: Thanks for the answers, Grief & corrosivefrost!

Lomax

Given that The Eternity Clock never even goes on sale, it would be pretty amazing to see it in a bundle. Seems unlikely though, I'm guessing just the adventure games and maybe some sci-fi or time travel related games to go with it.

Grief.exe

How much is The Forest gonna be?

$15

How much will the game cost?

The initial Alpha release will cost $14.99.

http://survivetheforest.com/faq/

I hope it's not another port as dire as the ones for Deadly Premonitions or Dark Souls 1...

First post on the Steam forums

http://steamcommunity.com/app/278080/discussions/0/558755530681853866/

my opinion about this port
bad point
- no actual gamepad support. like in previous DW titles, you need to manually rempa the keys on your gamepad. I'm using xbo 360 gamepad.
- no online coop. tough luck.
- as expected, too less DLC. for "Complete" version.
- got few crashes and bug. first time got infinite loading screen when starting Shu story mode, second time during Hu Lao Gate battle, my game suddenly hangs. Another thing is, if I pause the game when in the camp and Alt+Tab, my game will freeze when I opened back and have to soft reset.

good point
- nice graphic, though it's PS3 version. I'm not really into graphic, so good enough for me.
- no lag during gameplay, got 60 fps.
- game is still awesome

advice
- when playing, do a lot of interim save. you never know when the game will crash :p

While I will give you that the initial release of Deadly Premotion was garbage by all accounts (I've seen the magic Durante worked on that one), I still think that people thinking the port of Dark Souls was "dire" are the gaming equivalent of spoiled children. :p

That said I don't think anyone knows "what's wrong" with DW8XL other than Jim's cryptic tweet essentially saying "don't buy it.".

Zafir

That said I don't think anyone knows "what's wrong" with DW8XL other than Jim's cryptic tweet essentially saying "don't buy it.".

I own Dynasty Warriors 8, and have the same issue as Jim. There's an issue where it just freezes while loading. It keeps saying it's loading, and music continues to play, but it goes no where. Happens on a good few levels.

When it actually works, it's kind of inbetween the PS3 and PS4 versions. It doesn't have PS4's improved textures, but it looks better than the PS3 version. It runs at 60FPS too, a lot more fluid than the PS4 ver. It doesn't support custom resolutions, and I'm forced to play it at 1080p despite my monitor supporting 1440p. As others have mentioned, it also has no online coop, just local split screen multiplayer.

If you can't get the PS4 version, and you don't care for online co-op, the PC version is a decent choice, permitting these crashes/freezes get ironed out.

Edit: Oh and that guy isn't correct about the 360 controller. I didn't have to map my 360 controller myself, it had it automatically done. That said I did have to swap A and B around because B had been put as confirm and A as Cancel. Damn japs and their backwards buttons.

Dr Dogg

While I will give you that the initial release of Deadly Premotion was garbage by all accounts (I've seen the magic Durante worked on that one), I still think that people thinking the port of Dark Souls was "dire" are the gaming equivalent of spoiled children. :p

Bah don't worry about it Watch_Dogs is the focus of a lot of people's ire at the moment and that's already been written off as a shit port by some before customers have got their hands on it :p

Re Dark Souls, it's a tad better than a straight PS360 port as you got the DLC for nowt and even without DSFix ran smoother vanilla. As I said before I'd use DSFix at least to remove the 30fps cap, even to clamp it back down so you don't get the frame hitches and set the res to your monitors native res.

It wasn't a fantastic port but did a bang up job and I've only ever had it crash on me once. GFWL is a bastard with connectivity though (did this get sorted in the last patch?) but what was the alternative for Namco/FROM? Rework online matchmaking to another service ala dedicated servers? I bet that would have cost a pretty penny in a gamble that peeps might not have been interested in it.

Tellaerin

- no actual gamepad support. like in previous DW titles, you need to manually rempa the keys on your gamepad. I'm using xbo 360 gamepad.

What does that even mean? Having to go in and remap the buttons on your gamepad because it doesn't default to the X360 button scheme =! "no actual gamepad support". "No actual gamepad support" would be the game not recognizing you have a controller plugged in. >_< The other issues seem valid, but comments like that make me want to hit somebody. :p

found a "new" (read: gutted) copy of Prey at a nearby Ebgames for 3 dollars.

problem is that they forgot to take the manual out of the box when they gutted it so that code's been sitting on the shelf for god knows how many years. they guy behind the counter said that the store's customer base were mainly console-centric (which would explain why a boxed copy of prey was still on the shelf this long). Still, I'm assuming that the key has already been stolen by someone, but for $3, I figure it was worth a shot.

I have the game already on my steam account, but if I were to try and redeem it, if the message said "you already have this game on your account", could that mean that the key was still valid or not?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

problem is that they forgot to take the manual out of the box when they gutted it so that code's been sitting on the shelf for god knows how many years. they guy behind the counter said that the store's customer base were mainly console-centric (which would explain why a boxed copy of prey was still on the shelf this long). Still, I'm assuming that the key has already been stolen by someone, but for $3, I figure it was worth a shot.

I have the game already on my steam account, but if I were to try and redeem it, if the message said "you already have this game on your account", could that mean that the key was still valid or not?

You can't check if you already own the game

Dude what is this? How much worse does it get than not having proper resolution support? Does the executable literally have to fail to launch before a PC port is called dire? And then of course there's the magic of GFWL added on top.

I'll check for you. ;)

I'm now closer to 30 than 20.

iLdTk25.gif

Rectangular ostrich watermelon.
Happy birthday!!

Sub Zero

Good luck

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Culling Of The Cows -- MB-ADDB3A28D06A07ED - Taken by Kinky John. 18 entrants total.

t1400038358z1.png

Caerith

Dude what is this? How much worse does it get than not having proper resolution support? Does the executable literally have to fail to launch before a PC port is called dire? And then of course there's the magic of GFWL added on top.

Terribleness is relative. Not having proper resolution support out of the box is pretty minor compared to having tons of bugs (in addition to not having proper resolution support) or being poorly optimized (deliberately, because PC gamers can afford to throw more hardware at it) with a DRM that regularly eats save files.

NotSelf

Hi hopefully someone could help me out I'm having a problem with grid view in steam the banners seem to keep disappearing.

I tried renaming the folder 'httpcache' to "httpcache_old' which works but as soon I start scrolling back up banners start disappearing again.

Also all the banners in list view show up fine.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Sub Zero

Hi hopefully someone could help me out I'm having a problem with grid view in steam the banners seem to keep disappearing.

I tried renaming the folder 'httpcache' to "httpcache_old' which works but as soon I start scrolling back up banners start disappearing again.

Also all the banners in list view show up fine.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Switch to the beta client or wait for the problem to fix it self. It's a static content server issue

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Happy birthday JaseC!
Also late but happy birthday JaseC. Thanks for your continuing contributions to SteamGAF.
Happy Birthday, JaseC!
Happy birthday!!
Oh and happy birthday, you time traveler.]

Cheers. :)

I noticed that. What's the deal with Strategy First, anyway? Are the devs for these games being paid, or are these games up pretty much illegally with a risk of being pulled in the event that the developer notices?

Paper Monsters was an isolated incident of stupidity (Infected: The Twin Vaccine was different in that SF initially didn't realise that MumboJumbo was already publishing the CE), but having said that SF has a history of not paying its partners (unfortunately the original article is no longer available, but the replacement paints a clear enough picture).

Caerith

Paper Monsters was an isolated incident of stupidity (Infected: The Twin Vaccine was different in that SF initially didn't realise that MumboJumbo was already publishing the CE), but having said that SF has a history of not paying its partners (unfortunately the original article is no longer available, but the replacement paints a clear enough picture).

I guess the only questions really are:
  • Has Strategy First ever actually paid a developer?
  • Why does anyone sign with them?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I know why DW8 is not available in my region, the retail version sold here will have Japanese VA and traditional Chinese text.

I wonder if it's a separate app.

Happy Birthday, JaseC! *piling on*

Thanks!

I guess the only questions really are:
  • Has Strategy First ever actually paid a developer?
  • Why does anyone sign with them?

1) Probably just one or two :p
2) In the case of Sentinel 3, it was so the devs could skip Greenlight

The JaseC celebration collapsed it.

JaseCelebration.

Tellaerin

Yeah, I just took a look at the depot list for the app and there are additional ones for Chinese and Japanese. Oh well, the thought was nice while it lasted. ;)

Happy birthday, Saoirse JaseC! Do something fun to celebrate. :3 (Saoirse Ronan movie marathon, maybe?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom