• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terribleness is relative. Not having proper resolution support out of the box is pretty minor compared to having tons of bugs (in addition to not having proper resolution support) or being poorly optimized (deliberately, because PC gamers can afford to throw more hardware at it) with a DRM that regularly eats save files.

As long as we're not pretending that this one doesn't deserve to be called terrible as well. I would imagine an EA game would get crucified to hell and back if they released it at a locked 720p. Dark Souls somehow gets a pass because it's a good game or because PC gamers like to believe they literally wished the port into existence or something like that.

Blizzard

Banned
Another day, another couple of Strategy First games:

Both are 15% off ($4.24) for the next week.

Both of these are suddenly 90% off for me (I think I saw Playfire mentioned in regard to this). I wasn't really interested in the Empress games, but I probably just recently put Theatre of the Absurd on my wishlist when it was 15% off, and now I can grab it for 50 cents, amazing timing. =D

Blood of the Werewolf is down to 99 cents on Steam and now Amazon (Steam code).

What the hell... I took a chance on it.

header.jpg

oipic

JaseCelebration.

Indeed! Happy Birthday, Jase - hope you have a great day, buddy.

Incidentally, May 14th is also the birth date of Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV.

It is said that, as a child, Charles was given the gift of a dog on his birthday, a dog that proceeded to poop in every hidden nook of the expansive royal palace grounds. As a lesson in responsibility and dedication, Charles was sternly directed by his father, King John of Bohemia, to diligently tidy-up after his wayward and adventurous pet. This deed was documented for ninety hours by Charles' loyal squire, and this account of Charles' poop-scooping collect-a-thon, and the little dog he had named 'Ubi' (later tragically lost when the palace gates failed to close successfully), is said to have been the inspiration behind the naming of the company Jase so knows and loves today.
Well, maybe.

Didn't realize that's what Landmark was, really tempted to get the 20 dollar version. Game looks like it has so much promise, but then again I have so much else to play and it'll be free eventually.

LOL. Didn't expect that reception. I'm surprised, because it got good reviews (by both "professional" critics and Steam users).

Not sure who the professional critics are, but I put the steam reviews firmly in the same category as metacritic user scores. As such I wouldn't base any decision off of them.

But hey, for $1 you should get a couple of levels out of it.

Joe Molotov

2000+ game master race, checking in

EZMkNAh.png

This was my birthday gift to you, Jase. ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

Not sure who the professional critics are...
There's a bunch of review sites quoted on the Steam page for the game, but I probably should have paid closer attention because I've never heard of any of them, hahaha.

...but I put the steam reviews firmly in the same category as metacritic user scores. As such I wouldn't base any decision off of them.
Agreed. But a string of bad reviews from them is a good sign to steer clear.

But hey, for $1 you should get a couple of levels out of it.
Hopefully. The screenshots and videos looked appealing to me, so we'll see.

Dude what is this? How much worse does it get than not having proper resolution support? Does the executable literally have to fail to launch before a PC port is called dire? And then of course there's the magic of GFWL added on top.

Dire?
* Looks worse than the console version
* Performs worse than the console version
* Crashes at some frequency more than rarely
* Game breaking bugs introduced during porting process
* I suppose you could argue about missing DLC

Maybe it's cause I spent over 120 hours with Demon's Souls followed by over 100 hours with Dark Souls on my PS3... but the PC version is pretty much definitive even without DSFix. -- it has content that was made for the release (or at least debuted with the release), it none (or a lot lot less) of the performance problems seen on consoles and it released at 1/2 the price. I'm not sure what everyone expected after making a petition port begging for the game, especially when FROM said they had 0 experience in PC development.... sure, it's annoying that it didn't have more support for resolutions and the like, but it's nowhere near dire.

The game isnt that bad. It plays like one of those old mediocre NES plattformers, if thats what you like.

I finished it in about 3-4 hours.

Finally a reasonable take on it.
I played it for a bit one day and it seemed average. Worth $1? Sure. I think it has cards, even, so you get that subsidized some.

Just dont expect too much. It pays homage to a lot of the old NES Castlevania Games, but isnt as good as them.
But its also not as bad as people make it out to be.
Well, yeah, I wouldn't expect some obscure indy game to come close to something as legendary as Castlevania.

I think it has cards, even, so you get that subsidized some.
How does the card thing work? I have a few. You mean I can actually get money/Steam credit for them?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yup Blood of the Werewolf is mediocre but far from unplayable or anything. I didn't finish it but played like 2 hours

How does the card thing work? I have a few. You mean I can actually get money/Steam credit for them?

You earn cards, then open your inventory and sell the cards for the average price that you can see in the newly opened window. And then you get Steam-Wallet Money for that.

Mostly the prices of cards from popular Games are low and also from Bundle-Games, but you can still earn a bit. I am sure for every Humble Bundle someone buys for 1$, he can get half the money back from selling the cards from these bundle-Games.

Zafir

EZMkNAh.png

You know until I saw that I never even realised Neverwinter Nights 2 got removed. Good job I already had it bought.

You earn cards, then open your inventory and sell the cards for the average price that you can see in the newly opened window. And then you get Steam-Wallet Money for that.

Mostly the prices of cards from popular Games are low and also from Bundle-Games, but you can still earn a bit. I am sure for every Humble Bundle someone buys for 1$, he can get half the money back from selling the cards from these bundle-Games.
Why the hell would people actually buy virtual cards though? I'm not understanding the appeal.

Or does Steam just automatically hand out credit for them?

Why the hell would people actually buy virtual cards though? I'm not understanding the appeal.

If you buy the cards, you can craft a badge and get custom icons and backgrounds for your steamprofile as well as experience-points. You can have some kind of e-penis to brag about and some nice backgrounds.

The most expensive cards are somehow always the cards from anime-games.

Well, yeah, I wouldn't expect some obscure indy game to come close to something as legendary as Castlevania.

Cards will drop for you as you play the game. This is why people in this thread will answer "I don't know, I was idling for cards" when asked how a game is -- sometimes if a game has cards we leave the game running to get all of the drops. (You get x/2 drops rounded up where x is the total # of cards in the set.)

Then using Enhanced Steam (plug, plug...) it's easy to look at your inventory, see what the lowest a card is selling for, and list it on the market. When it sells, you get steam credit added to your steam wallet.

If you buy the cards, you can craft a badge and get custom icons and backgrounds for your steamprofile as well as experience-points. You can have some kind of e-penis to brag about and some nice backgrounds.

The most expensive cards are somehow always the cards from anime-games.

It also gives you coupons (I randomly crafted a badge this week and got a 50% off Escape Goat 2 coupon... which I used and then farmed for cards, which then sold for like $.60 or so, maybe more).
There's also a theory that the higher your steam level, the more likely you are to get rarer drops or foils (which can sell for more).
Plus as you "level up" you get some bonuses for your profile occasionally -- number of widgets you can use, +5 to your max friend count, etc.

You don't need to understand the appeal to make money. :p
It's like any other thing where you can "collect" stuff., really. The main benefits are what I listed above, but then there are people who are really into collecting and thus fuel the market.
http://steamcardexchange.com

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

EZMkNAh.png

I should be there soon too!
I'm almost at 1850.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Happy birthday JaseC!

X7DWRIP.png

Strategy First is as old as you are!

Caerith

As long as we're not pretending that this one doesn't deserve to be called terrible as well. I would imagine an EA game would get crucified to hell and back if they released it at a locked 720p. Dark Souls somehow gets a pass because it's a good game or because PC gamers like to believe they literally wished the port into existence or something like that.

Calling it "terrible" is really subjective. Dark Souls PC has the same stuff you'd get on the console version-- same resolution, same framerate, same everything-- without introducing any bugs or performance problems. If you pick up the game for 360 or PC you get the same thing: this would make it a straight port, but the fact that PC hardware solves the performance issues that plagued the consoles makes it something of a solid port. Maybe getting the same thing as the consoles is "terrible" but that doesn't mean it's a terrible port.

Sure, there's missed potential here. It could have been a good port if you didn't have to spend 30 seconds installing DSFix. It could have been a great port if it had Steam achievements instead of GFWL. It would still be a piece of shit port, though, if it didn't have trading cards.

Strategy First is as old as you are!

Yeah, but developers actually get money from JaseC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom