• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enforcer can bring his shield up and will stay facing the direction you had him in when you activated the ability. If you played the game before whatever patch changed it, the ability used to make him completely immobile so that's probably why you never noticed it if so. They changed it so that he just walks slower, which is a fine trade-off for me.

I believe that's the Bandit, as his rate of fire is dependant upon how fast you mash (up to 150% or something like that). He'd be a great character if his headshot and dynamite abilities were rebalanced a bit (make the headshot stronger with longer cooldown and same for dynamite; also maybe shorten the stun cooldown).

Well, if she's even easier than Enforcer, then I'm going to go ahead and call the difficulty very overrated.

Well, good thing I'm at like 12 monster logs then!

Ah I forgot the Bandit shoot faster if you keep mashing the attack button. And I agree , both the headshot and the dynamite should be buffed.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I heard it's really bad. I remember it went unclaimed several times when people were giving it away here. Now, I will consider picking up a copy just for the rewards...GMG why are you forcing me to buy and play shitty games???

Nabs

ibwo8MrnTBdFuw.gif

Playfire is trolling me.

Arthea

Doesn't look that bad, I have never played though, will install tonight and post impressions.

Don't get me wrong, not saying it is a bad game as such, even Bad Rats has one genuine fan.
It might be just not for me.
also I'm really easily bored and picky (._.)

Trust me we will be seeing $110 aud COD games, people are delusional if they think it's a better deal by having local currency. Thank fuck for GMG, Humble store and amazon.

Yes, GMG who switched from euro to british pounds and Humble store who switched from dollars to euro...

StAidan

Rush Bros quickly went into my Nope category as well, I thought it looked neat from the trailer but in practice I just couldn't stand more than the ~20 minutes that I spent with it.

Not to mention it advertises itself as having a single player mode, but single player actually isn't available unless the game can't find someone to match you up against.

Rush Bros quickly went into my Nope category as well, I thought it looked neat from the trailer but in practice I just couldn't stand more than the ~20 minutes that I spent with it.

Not to mention it advertises itself as having a single player mode, but single player actually isn't available unless the game can't find someone to match you up against.

ugh online only? The worst

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Which ones? I bought the Witcher collection from them for the same price as the rest of world. What do you mean?
It was long ago, though

When The Witcher 2 released it was Aussie Taxed on GOG, but to be fair, Scamco co-funded the final leg of development, so CDPR wasn't in the position to deny the former's desire to Aussie Tax the game across the board and GOG AU was set up such that those who purchased the game would receive the difference in GOG credit. The Witcher 3 is being self-funded, though, with WB and Scamco merely assisting with international distribution and marketing, so history shouldn't repeat itself.

Edit: Oh, wait:
This will apply to every single game where we do not have flat pricing, such as Age of Wonders 3 (full details here), Divinity: Original Sin, and The Witcher 3. If you remember the Fair Price Package for The Witcher 2, this will be exactly the same.

This is dumb. There's no reason why The Witcher 3 should be hit with the same nonsense.

Gog are still bringing in regional pricing, albeit with some sort of credit back scheme in the event of price gouging.

Or has that changed again?

Arthea

Witcher 2 and Age of Wonders 3. Divinity: Original Sin and The Witcher 3 will also have them once they get released.

That's strange and bad, yes. Probably, I won't buy the Witcher 3 from gog then.
Still, I'm fairly sure collection was not regionally priced, when it came out. Now I begin to have doubts, maybe I haven't noticed! Although, that's unlikely.

When The Witcher 2 released it was Aussie Taxed on GOG, but to be fair, Scamco co-funded the final leg of development, so CDPR wasn't in the position to deny the former's desire to Aussie Tax the game across the board and GOG AU was set up such that those who purchased the game would receive the difference in GOG credit. The Witcher 3 is being self-funded, though, with WB and Scamco merely assisting with international distribution and marketing, so history shouldn't repeat itself.

Edit: Oh, wait:

This is dumb. There's no reason why The Witcher 3 should be hit with the same nonsense.

Wait, so it was for Aussies only? Or I'm reading you in a wrong way.

Gog are still bringing in regional pricing, albeit with some sort of credit back scheme in the event of price gouging.

Or has that changed again?

Last time I checked, no regional pricing was to be implemented, but then again, I'm no sure anymore...

JaseC

Wait, so it was for Aussies only? Or I'm reading you in a wrong way.

At the time, yes, but once the game dropped in price, price parity kicked in.

Last time I checked, no regional pricing was to be implemented, but then again, I'm no sure anymore...

What changed is that region-specific pricing went from mandatory to optional.

Sarcasm

From steam dev days
STEAM-PIC-610x519.jpg

the currencies being added are
Australian dollar, the Canadian dollar, the Indonesian rupiah, the Japanese yen, the Malaysian ringgit, the Mexican peso, the New Zealand dollar, the Norwegian krone, the Philippine peso, the Singapore dollar, the Thai baht, and the Ukrainian hryvnia.

They were announced at Steam Dev Days. Upcoming support for the Thai Baht is why AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting now includes SE Asia in addition to South America and Eastern Europe.

Of course Taiwan isn't in that..the white island between the green ones (SW of Japan)..lol

StAidan

I was able to disable multiplayer on the level select screen.

Yeah, I tried that and it let me play one round by myself, next round matched me up with someone even though multiplayer was still turned off. I couldn't figure out how to just disable it permanently, maybe there was a way, but if so then it wasn't obvious to me.

Nabs

"Devolver Digital games purchased on @G2A_com are not legitimate, not guaranteed, and not supported. We are actively canceling those keys"

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/statuses/466577590606520320

I'm not a fan of cdkey resellers but I don't think it's fair to punish the customers like that, I highly doubt G2A would ever give a refund.

More reasons to avoid key resellers I guess.

Just updated:

Devolver Digital ‏@devolverdigital 1m

Devolver Digital will not cancel active products gamers own but cannot guarantee delivery/authenticity of keys from unauthorized retailers.

JaseC

Just updated:

Devolver Digital will not cancel active products gamers own but cannot guarantee delivery/authenticity of keys from unauthorized retailers.

Yeah, I was about to say that since they're resold retail keys it's not actually possible for Devolver to "cancel" them short of obtaining a full list from the reseller itself.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I wrote a review of it here on GAF at the start of the year, but as the sale, organized my thoughts and wrote my Steam review for Spec-Ops: The Line.

header_292x136.jpg

Spec-Ops: The Line is a squad-based third-person shooter, but really this is just a cover-up. The game is actually an experimental arthouse game that tries to challenge conventions of the modern game industry, narrative, and ask the player what they really want from games.

Spec Ops: The Line is the 11th game in the Spec-Ops series, but you'd be forgiven for not knowing that, as the series wasn't particularly great and hadn't had a new entry in its series in over 10 years before this game came along. However, Spec-Ops: The Line is more of a stand-alone game, and you need no knowledge of the previous Spec-Ops games to enjoy it.

You play as Captain Martin Walker, who comes into the town of Dubai under fictional settings that its been ravaged and left for dead by rampant sand storms and riots in the town. A US team, known as the 33rd, was sent there to help keep things under control. The last the city and the 33rd team were recorded doing was trying to form a caravan to help save the survivors of the city. However, all contact was lost, and the city was declared a no-mans land, with access to the city barred off by the UAE government.

Our main character, Walker, comes in with a small team, with the only other members being Lieutenant Alphonse Adams and Staff Sergeant John Lugo. Walker has a personal stake in all of this... The leader of the 33rd, Colonel John Konrad, is a personal hero of his, someone who saved his life on the battlefield. This man changed Walker's life, and is the sort of man Walker inspires to be. So when a communication message from Lugo gets out, he takes on the mission very personally, and is determined to do whatever it takes to save him.

Spec-Ops: The Line is a very beautiful game. Countless scenes and imagery are backed by fantastic artistic design, and one sometimes can't help but to just sit-back and appreciate the aesthetics of it all. The characters are well animated, the effects of things like sand and water are impressive, there are some gorgeous overlooks of the city at various points in the game, and visually stimulating environments that range from theaters to malls to aquariums to the natural desert itself.

The soundtrack is also very stimulating. The game features a variety of licensed music, ranging from Hush by Deep Purple to Star Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix. The original soundtrack is also rather interesting, featuring rather ethereal sounds, industrial, and pseudo-rock to home in the tones of each scene. The voicing is handled fantastically, and fits each character rather perfectly.

But there is something looming over Spec-Ops: The Line almost the entire time that may turn off a lot of people. The game isn't really all that fun to play. It's serviceable and not badly made, but something about it makes the gameplay never really a fun experience. And as odd as it may sound, I think this is what the developers were going for. There comes a tedium to the combat, a sort of unfeeling to it all. It can be a struggle at times, and there are some moments that are really cool from a visual stand-point and conceptually so, but it still somehow remains unfun.

Also as someone who played the whole game on hard difficulty, I recommend you do not. I usually play games on the hardest difficulty available as I find it fun to be challenged, but in the case of Spec-Ops I'd argue it actually actively worked to try and make me enjoy the game less. I wasn't having fun with the harder challenges, it didn't feel satisfying to overcome difficult segments, and it caused me to repeat several segments over-and-over again, and not in a way that it was enjoyable.

But I'd still say Spec-Ops is worth experiencing. While the game poses as a third-person shooter, and there is definitely third-person shooter gameplay here, that isn't at the same time really what the game is or is about. Talking about Spec-Ops is difficult, as I believe it is best to go into it without knowing almost anything at all. But at the same time, there is a tedium, a drudgery to pull through in the game.And that arguably is part of the game, and is part of the point of the game and its themes. Spec-Ops has a lot of thought put into it, and is a case where the narrative, atmosphere, and overall experience is much stronger than the gameplay.

Here's an odd analogy; This game is essentially to Shooters what Silent Hill is to Survival-Horror or Braid is to platformers. The games are well-made, but gameplay isn't the focus. Other elements take the lead, and the games have rather strong emphasis on its other elements. The gameplay without these other elements is arguably rather lackluster, or kind of tedious. But with the other elements, the games rise from this to become a rather interesting experience in game form. Some may never see the enjoyment of a game that isn't fun to play from a gameplay perspective, but if you can, there is a lot to love in Spec-Ops: The Line.

It's depressing, sometimes hard to swallow, and you may not honestly understand everything the first time you play it. However, it is likely to stick with you, and really delves into a sort of symbolic social message on shooters and war, and how the general public see's it. It's not very fun, but Spec-Ops is still an experience worth undertaking.

aku:jiki

Just updated:

And in their latest tweet, they're pretending like they never posted the cancellation thing.

Devolver not looking very good today. Is that a first? Never heard of them being up to shenanigans before.

aku:jiki

And now Devolver is back to posting about how they'll cancel your keys because fuck you for not knowing everything.

Sigh! The gaming industry really sucks sometimes.

Nabs

And now Devolver is back to posting about how they'll cancel your keys because fuck you for not knowing everything.

Sigh! The gaming industry really sucks sometimes.

Eh, not really. This situation isn't in some publisher handbook. Indies have to figure this shit out as they go.

@lewiep Good point and poor wording on our part - we would only deactive unused keys that were obtained fraudulently. Will correct.

Devolver Digital ‏@devolverdigital 3m
To clarify, we'd never cancel a game someone purchased - it is not the gamers fault. We aim to cancel unused keys obtained fraudulently.

I wrote a review of it here on GAF at the start of the year, but as the sale, organized my thoughts and wrote my Steam review for Spec-Ops: The Line.

header_292x136.jpg

Spec-Ops: The Line is a squad-based third-person shooter, but really this is just a cover-up. The game is actually an experimental arthouse game that tries to challenge conventions of the modern game industry, narrative, and ask the player what they really want from games.

Spec Ops: The Line is the 11th game in the Spec-Ops series, but you'd be forgiven for not knowing that, as the series wasn't particularly great and hadn't had a new entry in its series in over 10 years before this game came along. However, Spec-Ops: The Line is more of a stand-alone game, and you need no knowledge of the previous Spec-Ops games to enjoy it.

You play as Captain Martin Walker, who comes into the town of Dubai under fictional settings that its been ravaged and left for dead by rampant sand storms and riots in the town. A US team, known as the 33rd, was sent there to help keep things under control. The last the city and the 33rd team were recorded doing was trying to form a caravan to help save the survivors of the city. However, all contact was lost, and the city was declared a no-mans land, with access to the city barred off by the UAE government.

Our main character, Walker, comes in with a small team, with the only other members being Lieutenant Alphonse Adams and Staff Sergeant John Lugo. Walker has a personal stake in all of this... The leader of the 33rd, Colonel John Konrad, is a personal hero of his, someone who saved his life on the battlefield. This man changed Walker's life, and is the sort of man Walker inspires to be. So when a communication message from Lugo gets out, he takes on the mission very personally, and is determined to do whatever it takes to save him.

Spec-Ops: The Line is a very beautiful game. Countless scenes and imagery are backed by fantastic artistic design, and one sometimes can't help but to just sit-back and appreciate the aesthetics of it all. The characters are well animated, the effects of things like sand and water are impressive, there are some gorgeous overlooks of the city at various points in the game, and visually stimulating environments that range from theaters to malls to aquariums to the natural desert itself.

The soundtrack is also very stimulating. The game features a variety of licensed music, ranging from Hush by Deep Purple to Star Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix. The original soundtrack is also rather interesting, featuring rather ethereal sounds, industrial, and pseudo-rock to home in the tones of each scene. The voicing is handled fantastically, and fits each character rather perfectly.

But there is something looming over Spec-Ops: The Line almost the entire time that may turn off a lot of people. The game isn't really all that fun to play. It's serviceable and not badly made, but something about it makes the gameplay never really a fun experience. And as odd as it may sound, I think this is what the developers were going for. There comes a tedium to the combat, a sort of unfeeling to it all. It can be a struggle at times, and there are some moments that are really cool from a visual stand-point and conceptually so, but it still somehow remains unfun.

Also as someone who played the whole game on hard difficulty, I recommend you do not. I usually play games on the hardest difficulty available as I find it fun to be challenged, but in the case of Spec-Ops I'd argue it actually actively worked to try and make me enjoy the game less. I wasn't having fun with the harder challenges, it didn't feel satisfying to overcome difficult segments, and it caused me to repeat several segments over-and-over again, and not in a way that it was enjoyable.

But I'd still say Spec-Ops is worth experiencing. While the game poses as a third-person shooter, and there is definitely third-person shooter gameplay here, that isn't at the same time really what the game is or is about. Talking about Spec-Ops is difficult, as I believe it is best to go into it without knowing almost anything at all. But at the same time, there is a tedium, a drudgery to pull through in the game. But at the same time that arguably is part of the game, and is part of the point of the game and its themes. Spec-Ops has a lot of thought put into it, and is a case where the narrative, atmosphere, and overall experience is much stronger than the gameplay.

Here's an odd analogy; This game is essentially to Shooters what Silent Hill is to Survival-Horror or Braid is to platformers. The games are arguably well-made, but gameplay isn't the focus. Other elements are, and the game has rather strong emphasis on its other elements. The gameplay without these other elements is arguably rather lackluster, or kind of tedious. But with the other elements, the game rises from this to become a rather interesting experience in game form.

It's depressing, sometimes hard to swallow, and you may not honestly understand everything the first time you play it. However, it is likely to stick with you, and really delves into a sort of symbolic social message on shooters and war, and how the general public see's it. It's not very fun, but Spec-Ops is still an experience worth undertaking.

Great impressions, Dusk. I liked the game myself but it says something about game writing and meta commentary in gaming at large when this was considered a well written game at the time of release. The writing is as serviceable as the game's mechanics and I expect that most people will see some of the turns the plot takes coming from a mile away.

Still, just seeing a game with a large budget try to tackle some heavier themes is worth paying $5 for, just make sure you don't set the bar too high.

I've managed to avoid paying a dollar just to have Saints Row 2 sitting in my backlog. Now, lets see what Humble throws my way today.

fantomena

Im totally uable to play Borderlands 2 and has been it for weeks. It's just so unmotivating to play it. Don't know why. I even bought the fucking season pass.

Dusk Golem

Great impression, Dusk. I liked the game myself but it says something about game writing and meta commentary in gaming at large when this was considered a well written game at the time of release. The writing is as serviceable as the game's mechanics and I expect that most people will see some of the turns the plot takes coming from a mile away.

Still, just seeing a game with a large budget try to tackle some heavier themes is worth paying $5 for, just make sure you don't set the bar too high.

I've managed to avoid paying a dollar just to have Saints Row 2 sitting in my backlog. Now, lets see what Humble throws my way today.

I feel the unsaid for Spec-Ops is more effective than what's said. The writing isn't particularly remarkable, but I'd argue the narrative at play is... If that makes any sense. Our characters kind of talk like you'd expect characters in a third-person shooter to talk, but I also feel that's kind of the point. But there's a lot more going on with the story than what's being said.

But I think set expectations is important, it's not the best thing since sliced bread or anything. On-top of the fact I personally found the game very unfun. BUT, maybe this was emphasized on my playthrough as I played Spec-Ops on the heels of having played Binary Domain, which I would say is a much more fun game.

Dusk Golem

Im totally uable to play Borderlands 2 and has been it for weeks. It's just so unmotivating to play it. Don't know why. I even bought the fucking season pass.

I said something to this effect about a month ago:

I think the more I play Borderlands 2 with friends, the less and less I actually like the game. It's gotten to a point where the whole thing is just so dull to me. Not from playing it so much, there's things I still haven't done in yet, but just something about the gameplay has just sort of clicked in as being dull. Which is weird, as I really liked it at first, and liked it up until I beat the game, and some of the humor gets me to chuckle, and I like some of the bosses and environments, but just... Something about the gameplay has over-time made the game extremely dull for me, and I'm not quite sure what it is. And none of my friends seem to have the same sort of problem, so I dunno if it's just me, though sure it isn't, but I have no idea what it is about Borderlands 2 that does this to me.

Yai, I wouldn't say it's boring, it's a weird thing for me though, as typically I don't find games dull even if I don't enjoy them. And I wouldn't say I don't enjoy Borderlands 2, I had a good amount of fun with it during the first 30 hours or so, but after that it's just been declining interest whenever I happen to relaunch it again to play with friends.

I'm the type of gamer a game usually doesn't feel dull to me if there's some element in the game that I find interesting or fun. I can play an admittedly pretty mediocre horror game for example if there's some element about it that I like, such as the atmosphere or the look of it, or if it has good music or something. Which is why my reaction to BL2 I find a bit of an oddity. Hell, I don't even find bad games dull if there's something so bad about them that it's entertaining in its own way.

Knurek

But I think set expectations is important, it's not the best thing since sliced bread or anything. On-top of the fact I personally found the game very unfun. BUT, maybe this was emphasized on my playthrough as I played Spec-Ops on the heels of having played Binary Domain, which I would say is a much more fun game.

Spec Ops is very much a fun game when played on easy/normal.
Still the best survival horror I've ever played, just not as frustrating as it is on fubar.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Meanwhile, in Dark Souls II: I'm currently exploring The Gutter. So good. It's like a combination between Valley of Defilement and Blighttown. Loved that last one.
Traded some bosssouls for weapons and i'm regretting it already.
Then follow my lead and don't play it.

I finished the original and enjoyed it, but even though BL2 is better on all fronts, I grew tired of it rather quickly. I was playing it wrong, though, so that could have had something to do with it.
It's made for co-op, even more then the original game. You can sense it everywhere. And all those waves are incredibly annoying in SP.
I like it, I just don't enjoy it. :/

fantomena

I said something to this effect about a month ago:

I agree. It's not a boring game, it is a good game and without a doubt a fun game. Still the game is so insanely unotivating. Every time I start to think "Should I install it and play the DLCs" after 5 seconds it's like "Meh."

I loved the game, played it for 14 hoursduring 3 days. Not many times Ive played so much. But now I can't stand it.

Almost like with Titanfall. It's a good game, but it is insanely boring imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom