• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So this monitor is dying and I need a new one. If I get a 120hz but run a game I can't get up to 120fps, would I still see a boost in clarity at 60fps?

Card Boy

Banned
From steam dev days
STEAM-PIC-610x519.jpg

the currencies being added are
Australian dollar, the Canadian dollar, the Indonesian rupiah, the Japanese yen, the Malaysian ringgit, the Mexican peso, the New Zealand dollar, the Norwegian krone, the Philippine peso, the Singapore dollar, the Thai baht, and the Ukrainian hryvnia.

Steam is going to be dead soon for purchases I think if this turns out bad which I suspect it will be.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine -- MB-213CCE1A3FE062A2 - Taken by Cth. 12 entrants total.

t1400078355z1.png

Knurek

Steam is going to be dead soon for purchases I think if this turns out bad which I suspect it will be.

Isn't it already dead? Who in their right mind buys from Steam in the world where bundles/cheaper webstores providing Steam keys exist?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Isn't it already dead? Who in their right mind buys from Steam in the world where bundles/cheaper webstores providing Steam keys exist?

Don't forget all the people who buy cards/keys/crates/weapons/hats/compendiums etc on the Steam marketplace. Valve gets a slice of everything sold, and resold.

Yeah, only game I bought full price on steam in the last few years was Bioshock Infinite because X-Com and the first Bioshock were pre-order bonuses. It also included some TF2 items which I sold for around 3 euros.
It's funny that when games are full price they don't convert the currency (they cost 50 euros here) but during sales conversions are always accurate.

Don't forget all the people who buy cards/keys/crates/weapons/hats/compendiums etc on the Steam marketplace. Valve gets a slice of everything sold, and resold.

Sure, it goes way beyond just the games but I think that's what he was reffering to.

SparkTR

Unless you think $60 USD games are going to turn into $60 AUD I can't see how this will work.

I still think $60USD games are going to turn into $70-$80USD like it usually does now, but for smaller stuff ($15-$30) I expect that to stay the same, which will save a few dollars.

Card Boy

Banned
Unless you think $60 USD games are going to turn into $60 AUD I can't see how this will work.

Trust me we will be seeing $110 aud COD games, people are delusional if they think it's a better deal by having local currency. Thank fuck for GMG, Humble store and amazon.

SparkTR

Trust me we will be seeing $110 aud COD games, people are delusional if they think it's a better deal by having local currency. Thank fuck for GMG, Humble store and amazon.

We would've seen that already, the the AUD and USD are so close to parity the change will be marginal at best. But yeah GMG is great.

Ruruja

Remember when PC games used to be cheaper than console games?
Remember when digital games were meant to be cheaper than physical due to all the saved costs?

Seeing new releases on steam for £39.99 is quite sickening.

Corpekata

Banned
Remember when digital games were meant to be cheaper than physical due to all the saved costs?

They are, generally. It's usually just companies like Ubi and EA that still charge the console tax. Most games debut at least 10 dollars cheaper.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I still think $60USD games are going to turn into $70-$80USD like it usually does now, but for smaller stuff ($15-$30) I expect that to stay the same, which will save a few dollars.

It's ultimately going to depend on what Valve selected as the default conversion rate, which is "based on exchange rates, CPI and local market conditions". Aussie-Taxing publishers are going to continue Aussie Taxing, but I'd wager just about everybody else went with what Valve's provided versus took the time to select their own prices.

For MOST cases, they are cheaper. You're referring to a small subset of publishers who still want to change console prices.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Wow, I just bumped my trade offer in tf2outpost and seconds later I get added by 3 hackers simultaneously. The hell?

Zafir

Well, you're comparing digital prices to retail. The digital prices for console games is higher. Usually £50ish, though it's getting a bit better. PC digital has the same issue, prices are high compared to retail because they often use RRP which no retailer in the UK uses. Retail wise most PC games are cheaper outside EA and Activision.

Maybe ... and hopefully! But I doubt it very much. I feel the default will be a "safe" conversion to bring things in line with other services in aud such as psn or xbox. Then $15 games will be $21 and so on.

aku:jiki

Beat Risk of Rain on normal mode! Woo. Huntress is so easy to use, run and gun baby.
Is she really easier to use than the Enforcer? He's the best one I've unlocked so far, because I love his ability to shoot one way and move the other. Kinda bothers me that that's not just a feature of the whole game rather than just one character now.

Lasted 75 minutes with him myself. I thought I'd take a second lap to get more loot and XP in preparation for the final level but I screwed up on the penultimate level and didn't realize that something could do 650+ damage in one hit. :(

Arthea

Well, you're comparing digital prices to retail. The digital prices for console games is higher. Usually £50ish, though it's getting a bit better. PC digital has the same issue, prices are high compared to retail because they often use RRP which no retailer in the UK uses. Retail wise most PC games are cheaper outside EA and Activision.

But that exactly what doesn't make any sense whatsoever, in case you don't know, the same is on PSN, digital games are often more expensive than their retail counterparts. UK PSN store is plain horrible!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is she really easier to use than the Enforcer? He's the best one I've unlocked so far, because I love his ability to shoot one way and move the other. Kinda bothers me that that's not just a feature of the whole game rather than just one character now.

Lasted 75 minutes with him myself. I thought I'd take a second lap to get more loot and XP in preparation for the final level but I screwed up on the penultimate level and didn't realize that something could do 650+ damage in one hit. :(

I thought that the Huntress was the one that could shoot one way and move the other? She's the one with the bow, right? I used to use the Engineer mostly and beat the game on normal first with him, but I switched to the Huntress after a while.

She can shoot to the opposite direction and I believe is the character with the fastest attack speed, the downside is her base health is low.

Deques

There are bots that trawl TF2 Outpost for new/bumped trades. They add you as a friend and then beg you to add their "friend".

A few weeks ago 3 bots added me the same second as I bumped my trade. But all invites were deleted also in the same seconds

Does steam mark somehow accounts that were caught cheating and were banned at some point, you know, like some MMOs do?

There is a notice that the user has been VAC banned and/or trade banned

How are they hackers?

Adding their friend to do what? I'm genuinely curious.

I think he means Phishers.

The same thing happens when you bump on dota2lounge.com

A friend of mine was actually stupid enough to fall for it, so i guess its worth it for them.

They ask to add their friend who mysteriously can't add you.

And ask you to log in something like steamcornmunity.com

Notice the RN instead of M.

It looks like the real thing from a distance
and if you're retarded/naive about the internet

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
You mean VAC banned cheaters?

No, just some level 0 private profiles (probably bots) that send me a link to a misspelled steamcommunity site and ask me to add their friends because they want to trade with me.
These sites ask you to login with your Steam credentials and you can guess what happens next

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Does steam mark somehow accounts that were caught cheating and were banned at some point, you know, like some MMOs do?

Yes they do. On their Steam profile, under the status of saying where they're online and not, it'll show how many VAC-Bans they have, which has an info tag to learn more of the incidents, and state X days since last incident.

A whole lot easier, pretty much easy mode (relatively). The engineer is also a good class for getting through the game early.

Zafir

But that exactly what doesn't make any sense whatsoever, in case you don't know, the same is on PSN, digital games are often more expensive than their retail counterparts. UK PSN store is plain horrible!
Oh I don't disagree, it annoys me beyond belief. It's why I don't buy digitally at all on consoles(outside of digital only of course). I'm just saying it isn't exclusive to PC or Steam. It's publishers who just don't care to price competitively against retail. Not that pc games are getting dearer.

Copons

No, just some level 0 private profiles (probably bots) that send me a link to a misspelled steamcommunity site and ask me to add their friends because they want to trade with me.
These sites ask you to login with your Steam credentials and you can guess what happens next

Yooooouuuuuu finally get laid with that horny brunette that some ads on some sites say is free, available and lives in your ISP neighborhood?

EDIT

Love how his nickname shows great undercover skills.

aku:jiki

I thought that the Huntress was the one that could shoot one way and move the other? She's the one with the bow, right? I used to use the Engineer mostly and beat the game on normal first with him, but I switched to the Huntress after a while.
Enforcer can bring his shield up and will stay facing the direction you had him in when you activated the ability. If you played the game before whatever patch changed it, the ability used to make him completely immobile so that's probably why you never noticed it if so. They changed it so that he just walks slower, which is a fine trade-off for me.

She can shoot to the opposite direction and I believe is the character with the fastest attack speed, the downside is her base health is low.
I believe that's the Bandit, as his rate of fire is dependant upon how fast you mash (up to 150% or something like that). He'd be a great character if his headshot and dynamite abilities were rebalanced a bit (make the headshot stronger with longer cooldown and same for dynamite; also maybe shorten the stun cooldown).

A whole lot easier, pretty much easy mode (relatively). The engineer is also a good class for getting through the game early.
Well, if she's even easier than Enforcer, then I'm going to go ahead and call the difficulty very overrated.

Well, good thing I'm at like 12 monster logs then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom