• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Taron here, the other Crazy Viking Studios dev...

I can verify that we had no idea this was coming, it came directly from Valve and Adult Swim Games, our publisher on Steam. We didn't go through a publisher for any other platforms (Humble, GoG, Amazon) so we have completely control there, but with the Steam version we are at the mercy of the publisher. We didn't know this was happening until ASG told us at 8am this morning.

It was our mistake to make the original tweet saying that no better sale would be coming. Kris made the assumption that Valve/ASG wouldn't put Volgarr on sale again until the big summer sale, and that it would be only at 50% off if it was on sale then at all. Truth be told, we are pretty upset by this and were even wondering if the timing was on purpose (i.e. someone at Valve saw Volgarr hit the top sellers on the Humble store last week and decided they should get in on that action).

We did not intend to deceive and will be happy to offer a refund to anyone that purchased it from the Humble sale and feel cheated by this.

Hopefully you guys are able to self-publish your next project.

fantomena

I can verify that we had no idea this was coming, it came directly from Valve and Adult Swim Games, our publisher on Steam. We didn't go through a publisher for any other platforms (Humble, GoG, Amazon) so we have completely control there, but with the Steam version we are at the mercy of the publisher. We didn't know this was happening until ASG told us at 8am this morning.

It was our mistake to make the original tweet saying that no better sale would be coming. Kris made the assumption that Valve/ASG wouldn't put Volgarr on sale again until the big summer sale, and that it would be only at 50% off if it was on sale then at all. Truth be told, we are pretty upset by this and were even wondering if the timing was on purpose (i.e. someone at Valve saw Volgarr hit the top sellers on the Humble store last week and decided they should get in on that action).

We did not intend to deceive and will be happy to offer a refund to anyone that purchased it from the Humble sale and feel cheated by this.

Awesome to hear this direct from one of the devs. Your game is awesome and will probably play it very soon (if I can make it through the first chapter/level).

HoosTrax

Thanks again to whoever pointed me to x360ce. I ended up ordering a Wii Classic Pro (which are actually in short supply these days...).

I saw this mod:

wii_classic_gamepad_snes_buttons_lg_3.jpg

I intend to do something similar, but with the color buttons in the correct order for PC / XBOX. I'm not sure if the spare 360 buttons I have will fit, so I might get one of those cheap $10 knock off SNES controllers to salvage the buttons.

Good man, I am going to buy the game on STEAM tonight to suport you guys.
Same here. I'm actually glad for the second deal, because I was kicking myself for missing it the first time around.

On a similar note do people care about tha $1.50 THAT much to get a refund and rebuy on Steam?
I would hope not. I like a good deal as much as the next guy (as you can probably tell from my username, haha), but at a certain point, you have to just bite the bullet. Going through all of that for a buck fifty is insanity to me.

Clash of the World Bundles: U.S.A

http://groupees.com/clash5

Starts Soon

Games include RetroGrade (Steam), Famaze (Steam), Eschalon Book 1 (Steam) and Banzai Pecan (Desura)

Looks nice, i want retrograde!

No you don't. It's really boring, at least what I played of it. It had potential if you used it with a Rockband/Guitar Hero guitar, but since I don't have those for PS3, I never got to try it... really wasn't a fan, but the music is pretty cool.

I am still hooked on Dark Souls 2, 26 hours down and no end in sight. Searching every nook and cranny and loving every second.

I'm over 105 hours, ser. Pick up your pace.

Wow, slow down there Speedy. 62 hours in and now approaching the Castle. :p
The Gutter was pretty great.

Nice. The Gutter was creepy as hell -- great showcase of the torch gameplay mechanic and was exactly what I wanted it to be. I know if that Steamworks Dark Souls patch ever goes live I'm going to wish I had torches for Giant's Tomb or whatever that area was where Nito lives.

It's possible he's on a second or third character. With my second character I cleared Drangleic Castle in under 30 hours. Once you're comfortable with the combat and know where to go to get the items you want, you can blaze through the early game.

Yeah, sorta -- if it's a new character, sure... but NG+ is a different beast with the damage scaling and the addition of red phantoms and such to various areas.

Just winding down my Dark Souls 2 addiction. I am on the cusp of getting The Dark Soul achievement, then I will take a break.

Same -- I'm finding it a tough grind to get through some of these areas on NG+... I just finally cleared
Brightstone Cove and was crushed by Freja when I walked in the fog gate; I greedily want another Old Paledrake Soul for either the Moonlight Greatsword or another set of Crystal Soul Spear

is super time force coming to PC?

Hopefully. Fuckin' MS.

I'm totally done with the content of the game, but the whole Soul Memory thing has me unenthusiastic to just jump into PvP. Really hope they end up changing that. :(

Can someone explain the full SM thing to me? I've seen references to it, but have not noticed my gameplay experience changing much based on my ridiculously high SM for my level/playthrough.

It really is unfortunate as I would like to stay at ~SL150 to keep the game fresh and challenging. I really don't want to just zerg through the game with an SL300 character, I really don't see the fun in that.

I am effectively hurting myself from a PVP perspective as I am in the 9 million SM bracket and only SL160 on NG++.

I'm currently at SL 183 or so, but I'm nowhere near overpowered, so it really depends on what you do with your build. I have crazy INT and really high FTH and some other stats hovering around 20, but my health is at 8. So it's really still about skill... I just like to have the option to use all the spells effectively. I think I might use a soul vessel soon and drop that Faith level down and pump the points int STR so I can try out some of the greatswords. Many of my weapons scale with INT and FTH, so that's why I pumped a lot back into FTH when I level set the last time.

So I have a few games installed and I need help for what game to begin with first. Everyone are looking like good games to me, so it's hard to choose. Will play though all anyway:

Bound by Flame
Year Walk
Strider
Shadowrun Returns (including Dragonfall)
Shelter
Volgarr
Child of Light

Bound by Flame is pretty good so far. You can get a good chunk of the Playfire achivements relatively easily too. It's got a lot of rough edges (problems with incorrect subs, bad dubbing on some of the vocals where they refer to me as He even though my character is female, etc.) but it's pretty solid for an ARPG. I'm seeing some replay value too, as it doesn't seem possible to do everything with regards to your companions on a single playthrough (and there's achievements for choose various different paths with regards to story and your evolving).

Volgarr is great, but can be hard -- I've heard that level 2 is probably the biggest hurdle, which is funny after how long it took for level 1 to click. I still need to go back to it, but it's not something you need to focus on and finish immediately because it's more about gameplay than anything else.

I liked what I played of the very beginning of Shadowrun (no idea about the expansion, but I hear it's better than the main game. It looks great, I'm waiting for a good deal there...), it felt a lot like the old SNES game to me and that's why I bought it. I had a couple of issues I was hoping they might patch by the time I went back to it though...

I have Shelter and need to get around to playing it, but no comments there.

And I'm going to say it again, Strider is flaming hot garbage. You'd do better to just delete it and forget you ever bought it than to waste the time playing it. ;)

Maybe I will push my SL to 175 or 180 to give me ~20 more points to play around with as I head into NG+++.

I love using huge weapons and staying under 50% equip load, so have effectively waste points in VIT.

You could always just roll with the lightest armor possible or go with no armor to keep that load low and still rock your heavy weapons.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reason why I'm ineligible to get a free copy of Rush Bros? I have an existing GMG account (the same as my playfire one), I don't have the game already, and I gave the right credentials... Dunno, it just tells me to try again, but when I did that, the same error message popped up.

BruteUA

One of these is Volgarr. So that must mean the other three are........yeah. I think you know.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game 1 -- MB-1392CE220B1EE136 - Taken by pupo. 5 entrants total.
Mystery Game 3 -- MB-80590D266C63C0F6 - Taken by DaBargainHunta. 12 entrants total.
Mystery Game 2 -- MB-17B2D500F9AC784E - Taken by GaussTek. 17 entrants total.
Mystery Game 4 -- MB-2F43DDA08C33EDA4 - Taken by alr1ght. 8 entrants total.

t1400110531z1.png

topyy

Is there any reason why I'm ineligible to get a free copy of Rush Bros? I have an existing GMG account (the same as my playfire one), I don't have the game already, and I gave the right credentials... Dunno, it just tells me to try again, but when I did that, the same error message popped up.

reset password and try again
greenmangaming.com/user/password_reset/

HoosTrax

I wear incredibly light armor. The only thing that is heavier is the Llewellyn chest piece for aesthetics.
Same here, usually out of sheer laziness. I don't feel like switching out of my item + soul farming gear (prisoner tatters / jester hat / Tseldora cuffs / Tseldora pants).

Can someone explain the full SM thing to me? I've seen references to it, but have not noticed my gameplay experience changing much based on my ridiculously high SM for my level/playthrough.
Soul memory is a tally of the souls your character has acquired, whether used or lost, and is now one of the parameters for matching with other players. This is theoretically to prevent twinking and griefing new players, but in practice is more annoying than good. In previous games the community would decide at large what the preferred level cap is and build toward that and get matched with one another for PvP purposes, and that's essentially impossible at this point meaning that you're just kind of forced to dump more and more points into your character so as you don't end up being a lower level with a higher SM. It just ends up putting PvP all over the place where it was better communally structured in past games.

But that also means that people who have a harder time with the game who end up losing a lot of souls end up in a higher SM bracket while being lower SL, or if you just want to help people co-op boss fights you eventually SM your way out of candidates.

inm8num2

These past few days have been insane for deals. Humble, GOG, other bundles, etc. Crazy how quickly the digital games marketplace moves.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh the last game in tiny mix indiegala bundle was revealed, cool didnt have it

Soul memory is a tally of the souls your character has acquired, whether used or lost, and is now one of the parameters for matching with other players. This is theoretically to prevent twinking and griefing new players, but in practice is more annoying than good. In previous games the community would decide at large what the preferred level cap is and build toward that and get matched with one another for PvP purposes, and that's essentially impossible at this point meaning that you're just kind of forced to dump more and more points into your character so as you don't end up being a lower level with a higher SM. It just ends up putting PvP all over the place where it was better communally structured in past games.

But that also means that people who have a harder time with the game who end up losing a lot of souls end up in a higher SM bracket while being lower SL, or if you just want to help people co-op boss fights you eventually SM your way out of candidates.

So everything is based on total soul memory for PvP? That can't be entirely right, and if it is, it seems odd based on my experiences. I'm sitting just shy of 8M souls, I think, and the game locked me out of the castle because I haven't hit 1M in NG+ according to Zafir.

Furthermore, I decided to slaughter just about EVERYONE (NPC) before I transitioned to NG+... and built up quite a sin tally there... which lead to a CONSTANT stream of arbiters coming to kill me. Could it be that some things trump others when it comes to the SM brackets?

Also, now that the PvP covenents have summon signs, isn't that basically a way around it? Put down your red soapstone sign or your dragon's eye and have at you if that's your thing?

derExperte

No you don't. It's really boring, at least what I played of it. It had potential if you used it with a Rockband/Guitar Hero guitar, but since I don't have those for PS3, I never got to try it... really wasn't a fan, but the music is pretty cool.

Nobody listen to this man, Retro/Grade is one of the best rhythm games available on PC no matter what controller is used.

Just imagine Tom Sawyer playing while this giveaway runs.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rush Bros -- MB-3CC26A034C4D5CD2 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 1 entrants total.

t1400101402z1.png

Dr Dogg

I wouldn't mind free Volgarr but what would i do with myself if i got bad rats? I just couldn't continue.

But the foil cards in Bat Rats are going for a price that could buy you 2-3 copies of Volgarr of you catch the luck if the draw. Hell of a satin on your Steam profile mind.

BruteUA

I wouldn't mind free Volgarr but what would i do with myself if i got bad rats? I just couldn't continue.

This is the best part. One lucky person gets a really awesome game. Three others get a game that's legendary in it's own way. But I'm the real winner here. I get to watch you guys decide whether or not to play. Remember the rules, you gotta redeem what you win. A tremendous burden, that I don't have to share!

My only regret is that one of the mystery 3 isn't something else really cool, but the proceeds from selling off my Team Fortress backpack are getting low. Or maybe one of those three is something nice, like BioInf or Dishonored. Roll the dice, boys and girls.

So everything is based on total soul memory for PvP? That can't be entirely right, and if it is, it seems odd based on my experiences. I'm sitting just shy of 8M souls, I think, and the game locked me out of the castle because I haven't hit 1M in NG+ according to Zafir.

Furthermore, I decided to slaughter just about EVERYONE (NPC) before I transitioned to NG+... and built up quite a sin tally there... which lead to a CONSTANT stream of arbiters coming to kill me. Could it be that some things trump others when it comes to the SM brackets?

Also, now that the PvP covenents have summon signs, isn't that basically a way around it? Put down your red soapstone sign or your dragon's eye and have at you if that's your thing?
It's one of the parameters, not the only one, so there are other matching scenarios. The Winter Shrine SM requirements only count the ones earned during your current playthrough, not overall.

As I understand it the summon signs still take SM into account for who it shows up for, but the idea is that it was preferrable to have an agreed upon SL to work around and PvP with which can't really be done now. I believe the highest SM tier is 12M+ so when you're there you're thrown to the wolves, so the SL of the people you match up against is a crapshoot.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Oh shit.
Dark Souls II endgame spoilers:
Sentintels as regular enemies? Yup, this looks like the end of a Dark Souls game.
And i'm lost.
Uses a guide for the first time. Couldn't figure out how to open the front door. :')

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Thanks again to whoever pointed me to x360ce. I ended up ordering a Wii Classic Pro (which are actually in short supply these days...).

I saw this mod:

wii_classic_gamepad_snes_buttons_lg_3.jpg

I intend to do something similar, but with the color buttons in the correct order for PC / XBOX. I'm not sure if the spare 360 buttons I have will fit, so I might get one of those cheap $10 knock off SNES controllers to salvage the buttons.
SNES controller buttons are much shallower (at least protruding out of the shell).

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
75 Titles Greenlit:

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=257742716

Ghost Song made it

That's all I know...

Time to sift through this batch, good time to get home after exams.

I recognize Another Perspective and 6180 the Moon from a few bundles.

Also, good to see Noir Syndrome made it through. I'm slightly interested in that one.

Actually quite a few I recognize this time. Uncanny Valley is in this batch, along with Once Upon an Apocalypse.

There are a few RPG Maker games as well, including Memories of a Vagabond and Victim of Xen.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Shiness made it through, game looks great. I hope that they can meet their Kickstarter goal and make this happen. They're already 68% there, so who knows.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
More free beef for GAF!!

My advice to whoever wins this. Idle/play the game asap, I made 5 euro from selling it's cards today

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Culling of The Cows -- MB-F29DBB61B9A54F4B - Taken by Crentist the Dentist. 13 entrants total.

t1400102613z1.png

NotSelf

Thanks for clarifying.

Tellaerin

Urgh, what happened to the 720p version of Transistor for low end PCs? >_<

https://twitter.com/SupergiantGames/status/466670250273304576

Looking at the screenshots, this really doesn't look like a game that should require 1GB of VRAM. :s

In other news, spending a little more time with Rush Bros. is making me sad. It's one of those games where I like the concept, I really like the aesthetic, but the actual gameplay feels like such a letdown. (The level design in particular is pretty bad, IMO.) With better stages - ones with more natural flow - and tighter controls, this really could've been something special..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom