• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
lMzf4yf.png

lol

Bought Shadowrun Returns just because I am a huge fan of the SNES game... I know that it will leave shit taste in my mouth, but here's to hoping. Maybe should have waited for -75% off but oh well.

Meanwhile, Playfire says this:

Played DARK SOULS™ II for 1 hour and 12 minutes, bringing the total time played to a total of 13 hours and 49 minutes.

Dang, 14 hours in less than a week. Just played for 30 minutes too.

MRORANGE pointed it out a while back and I find it quite funny but all the things photographers and cinematographers try as best as they can to avoid these knock on effects in their work like CA, motion blur, knock out contrast, lens flares etc game developers are clamouring to put into their design.

I recall there was a gaffer who said customers were paying him to remove CA from pictures and all and then he sees devs remaking it in the most moronic way possible. Because even if it's a camera defect it's still rather subtle compared to what we see in games.

Games like Battlefield totally put me off with their visuals. I like my gaming visuals crisp and clean. One of the reasons I like Source stuff. Though Valve do put in some effects in their SFM movies, like DoF and blur (I think), but those are movies.

Tizoc

Never heard of that game before, but now I've wishlisted it so hard I shattered my mouse.

I bought it earlier today and will start playing it once Playfire put its rewards up :p

There's a 240p trailer showcasing some gameplay and it resembles Metal Slug and Contra gameplay-wise.

Humble extras

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-8F3465C6F3A9ED03 - Taken by AsylumX. 2 entrants total.
Sanctum 2 -- MB-31C9B0839F8A882B - Taken by dave is ok. 2 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-3E386949C3DF497E - Taken by ChimpanzeeThat. 5 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack -- MB-1B8143CAC673126E - Taken by crazyrabbits. 7 entrants total.

t1398973274z1.png

Tenrius

Do people still play Battlefront II online? I've always thought the game looked cool, but never actually got the chance to try it (up until now, finally bought it).

hohoXD123

The Moto X has some pretty solid specs for what it is trying to do. I can respect that.

I'm personally waiting for 1440p phones to drop before I upgrade.

Wait for that sweet sweet Nexus 6. My Nexus 4 is still going strong, don't see much need to upgrade it at the moment.

Do people still play Battlefront II online? I've always thought the game looked cool, but never actually got the chance to try it (up until now, finally bought it).

Not really. Most Star Wars games are inactive and didn't take off like FPS games. I would play alongside you if I had a copy of the game, but it seems you're on your own. See if there are any bots.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wonder if Stump can do whatever Ars did to poll those Steam sale figures.

What they did was actually not very difficult at all (although it would cost a little bit of money, not much). The problem is it would be prohibitively expensive to do it quickly enough to be able to capture things like new product launches or update with sales figures each week.

Basically what Ars did was set up a simple script to scrape people's Steam profiles (super easy) and ran it on very very cheap Amazon servers 24/7, running dozens of copies at the same time so they could scrape profiles fast enough. Even at that scale, they still couldn't get the data they wanted except over a period of months.

Grief.exe

Wait for that sweet sweet Nexus 6. My Nexus 4 is still going strong, don't see much need to upgrade it at the moment.

I'm still rocking the Galaxy Nexus which was before the Nexus 4 lol.

Works fine and am running Kit Kat (4.4) through a flashed rom. As long as developer support continues, there really is no express reason for me to upgrade.

What they did was actually not very difficult at all (although it would cost a little bit of money, not much). The problem is it would be prohibitively expensive to do it quickly enough to be able to capture things like new product launches or update with sales figures each week.

Basically what Ars did was set up a simple script to scrape people's Steam profiles (super easy) and ran it on very very cheap Amazon servers 24/7, running dozens of copies at the same time so they could scrape profiles fast enough. Even at that scale, they still couldn't get the data they wanted except over a period of months.

That's why I was thinking the Dark Souls II sales numbers would take them a bit.

It seems like they would be interested in that data, this is the biggest Steam release in a while and it would be interesting to compare the numbers.

MUnited83

For you.
Not really. Most Star Wars games are inactive and didn't take off like FPS games. I would play alongside you if I had a copy of the game, but it seems you're on your own. See if there are any bots.

Lol wut? Battlefront has a extremely active online community.

Also, is Chroma supposed to be out? It shows on the new releases list but no install/play button.

Cth

RE: Star Wars Battlefront II..

I'm reading the forums and there's a lot of people having issues with it not running/crashing in Windows 8.

Can anyone confirm this who has the game?

The Moto X has some pretty solid specs for what it is trying to do. I can respect that.

I'm personally waiting for 1440p phones to drop before I upgrade.

I love this phone. Its cheap and just does everything so flawlessly. Its not the biggest screen or resolution but it seems just right.

Arthea

I would like to hear impressions of this game cuz $18 sounds a bit too much for me. If it has a mindfuck awesome story I'll get it soon.

It does seem a bit much, but it sounds and looks great. I will wait for some impressions too, not gonna play it any time soon, but will some day, most likely.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping they'd be 50% off like the last batch was.

Yeah, that's kind of a bummer. At least they're bound to go on sale in the future.

I would like to hear impressions of this game cuz $18 sounds a bit too much for me. If it has a mindfuck awesome story I'll get it soon.

It does seem a bit much, but it sounds and looks great. I will wait for some impressions too, not gonna play it any time soon, but will some day, most likely.

It's supposed to be swell.

Tellaerin

Battlefront II's an awesome game. Haven't played it recently, but there were still some fairly active servers out there as of a year ago or so. (And thanks for reminding me about BF II - one of the total conversion mods I was interested in, Mass Effect: Unification, has apparently seen a lot of progress since the last time I checked. May need to reinstall from the eleventy-billion CD's... Yeah, I own a physical copy. :p )

EDIT: There's full bot support as well as a single-player campaign. (Companies didn't go the cheap "no bots, only online multi" route back when BFII was released.) And the Galactic Conquest mode was the shit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm expecting the Call of Duty sale to just be a Black Ops sub-franchise sale... which I'd be perfectly okay with, since Ghosts aside the Windows version of Black Ops is the only CoD game I'm missing.

Dr Dogg

I recall there was a gaffer who said customers were paying him to remove CA from pictures and all and then he sees devs remaking it in the most moronic way possible. Because even if it's a camera defect it's still rather subtle compared to what we see in games.

Games like Battlefield totally put me off with their visuals. I like my gaming visuals crisp and clean. One of the reasons I like Source stuff. Though Valve do put in some effects in their SFM movies, like DoF and blur (I think), but those are movies.

I think the thing is with all the effects used in games it that the end up just being a static frame effect and not used in a more dynamic way to enhance the art direction or style.

Take DoF for example, it's more often than not set to a specific focus length and I guess an approximated aperture F stop. Now look how it's used in films like The Third Man with some great iconic imagery flipping focus from foreground to main subject. Look at how Hitchcock used dolly zooms to great effect with the background in soft focus ramping up to full. Spielberg did this in Jaws as well which really added to the scene were Brody realises there maybe a shark in the water.

In fact this gives me a great idea for a thread to pop my cherry on.

Meanwhile, Playfire says this:

Dang, 14 hours in less than a week. Just played for 30 minutes too.

That's close to where I'm at...but there are people on my friends list with 40, 50, 60+ hours already.

That's why I was thinking the Dark Souls II sales numbers would take them a bit.

It seems like they would be interested in that data, this is the biggest Steam release in a while and it would be interesting to compare the numbers.

We may not get sales numbers for a while, but 80k concurrent is pretty damn good. I'd say it did pretty well. I think that BeyondtheBonfire, or whatever, link shows that PC is leading the way so far.

hohoXD123

I'm still rocking the Galaxy Nexus which was before the Nexus 4 lol.

Works fine and am running Kit Kat (4.4) through a flashed rom. As long as developer support continues, there really is no express reason for me to upgrade.

Lol hardcore, though the Galaxy Nexus was pretty good for its time. Yeah thanks to roms/kernels, android phones can last quite a bit longer than they normally would, camera and battery must be annoying though.

Grief.exe

Lol hardcore, though the Galaxy Nexus was pretty good for its time. Yeah thanks to roms/kernels, android phones can last quite a bit longer than they normally would, camera and battery must be annoying though.

You just mentioned the worst parts of the Galaxy Nexus. Both the battery and camera were merely mediocre when the phone was released, now they are horrible.

I picked up a spare battery and a stand alone charger for <$10 so I always have a backup on hand when I run out of juice.

We may not get sales numbers for a while, but 80k concurrent is pretty damn good. I'd say it did pretty well. I think that BeyondtheBonfire, or whatever, link shows that PC is leading the way so far.

I am impressed with how well the game is doing.

I was conservatively estimating 45-50K peak players, hitting 80K just blew my expectations out of the water.

Porting Dark Souls to PC was the best thing From ever did.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is Transformers Fall of Cybertron region free? Already played it over family sharing but would totally get my own copy for a couple keys when it's daily hits.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Transformers Fall of Cybertron region free? Already played it over family sharing but would totally get my own copy for a couple keys when it's daily hits.

Yes... but unlike War it's not actually much cheaper in Eastern Europe. Assuming 75% off you're still looking at 6 or 7 keys.

Tenrius

RE: Star Wars Battlefront II..

I'm reading the forums and there's a lot of people having issues with it not running/crashing in Windows 8.

Can anyone confirm this who has the game?

I volunteer to be the guinea pig (was going to launch the game anyway). It's good that the community is supposed to be active!

hohoXD123

You just mentioned the worst parts of the Galaxy Nexus. Both the battery and camera were merely mediocre when the phone was released, now they are horrible.

I picked up a spare battery and a stand alone charger for <$10 so I always have a backup on hand when I run out of juice.

Same problem with my N4, though probably not as bad. Whenever I upgrade, battery life will definitely be at the top of the list, living with a Nexus really makes you value that lol.

Which of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games require you to download the soundtrack again? I've only ever played Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (Gamecube) and Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy (PC) and have been thinking of doing a run through the series.

I'm also installing the shitty spiritual successor to Jedi Knight, Force Unleashed, cos I kinda want to replay it as well.

Megasoum

Banned
For some reason I never could play the PC version of KOTOR... There's something with the UI/Controls on the pc port that just won't click with me. I loved the game originally on Xbox and never played the second one because I don't want to play the unfinished version on consoles but also don't want to play the PC version...Life is though lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Which of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games require you to download the soundtrack again? I've only ever played Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (Gamecube) and Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy (PC) and have been thinking of doing a run through the series.

I'm also installing the shitty spiritual successor to Jedi Knight, Force Unleashed, cos I kinda want to replay it as well.
jK1 had the redbook audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom