• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

Elite: Dangerous looks so good to me.

I watched a couple of videos earlier this week and got really excited about it myself - it looks goddamned fantastic. I'm trying to temper excitement a little because Rebirth looked amazing in videos too, but Elite's so much more public of a project being released post Rebirth that I'm almost certain t'll avoid making the same mistakes. With all the competition out there we're pretty much guaranteed at least one fully amazing space sim, which is something I wouldn't have expected to be saying a few years ago. So good.

Salsa

like, who the hell cares about Prison Architecht now? I think the game is great, but all the hype surrounding it is long gone, and I can't imagine that's very encouraging for them to keep developing it. Same with DayZ, and plenty others.

Zia

Which is the best RollerCoaster Tycoon?

Also, any Always Sometimes Monsters impressions here? Something I totally overlooked this past IGF, but that Eurogamer review has me a bit interested.

Authority

Banned
X-Rebirth is $25 on Steam today. I've heard lots and lots of bad things about the game, but I'm still tempted. What say you GAF, is it worth it?

X_rebirth.png

I will do some reading with you as well. Been having X-rebirth on my radar for a while so I am quite surprised it is receiving this negativity.

mrgone

Sleeping Dogs players will benefit from this, will they not?

Definitely. There was that vampire DLC for Saints Row 3 as well that kind of permanently fucked the world - you could fix it with some editing, but this is a much simpler solution. Hail common sense!

Not sure if this was talked about, but the recent Steam client update let's you disable dlc if you want.

I think this is amazing, since it sounds like you can have the 'vanilla' experience in games again if you want.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/13399/

They got tired of me asking support to remove things like Skyrim's HD Texture Pack.

Sounds like a great idea for those that buy those huge game of the year bundles with a million cosmetic items that are added to your game upon start up and add so much clutter to menus.

denx

I see some Titanfall talk going on up there. You guys can add me on Origin if you want, my ID is denxos. Can play some Titanfall, BF:BC2 and BF3.

MUnited83

For you.
like, who the hell cares about Prison Architecht now? I think the game is great, but all the hype surrounding it is long gone, and I can't imagine that's very encouraging for them to keep developing it. Same with DayZ, and plenty others.
"hype long gone"
game still selling by the truckloads.
ok.

Salsa

"hype long gone"
ok.

no one's talking about it. I bet there's plenty people playing DayZ still but I don't hear nearly as much. If you go early access you gotta divide the attention between when it first shows up as early access and when it properly "comes out", and I dont think that's the best for some games

if we're talking purely about sales sure, I mean Rust is selling a shit ton, but my point is about something else. I just think a lot of these games proper launches end up being lacklusting from my perspective as a player, beyoned whatever is best for them in terms of money.

-MD-

Joke post?

no one's talking about it. I bet there's plenty people playing DayZ still but I don't hear nearly as much. If you go early access you gotta divide the attention between when it first shows up as early access and when it properly "comes out", and I dont think that's the best for some games

if we're talking purely about sales sure, I mean Rust is selling a shit ton, but my point is about something else

Dayz has 24,000 people playing it right now and it's still #4 on the top sellers list.

denx

Btw, kinda want to join the spanish translation effort for Wasteland 2. But I'm not familiar with the original Wasteland so I'm afraid I'll fuck something up.

And yeah, Prison Architect is still selling by the truckloads. I'll just wait until it comes out of Early Access before buying it (same thing with Kerbal Space Program).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Putting the finishing touches on this, should be included in the next version of Enhanced Steam:

Loads much faster

Salsa

less people will be playing it when it comes out as a full game than when it first showed up everywhere and was broken and unfinished, I guess that's another way of saying what im saying.

Authority

Banned
"hype long gone"
ok.

Have we got current Steam Sales for DayZ or active player base on Steam?

DayZ creator Dean Hall has revealed that the game has now shifted more than 2m copies of the game's original Arma 2 mod and sold 1.7m copies of the standalone package.
posted on the 31th of March 2014.

And it is still 4th place on Steam. Someone is talking a long and nice bath of money somewhere.

Nzyme32

Not sure if this was talked about, but the recent Steam client update let's you disable dlc if you want.

I think this is amazing, since it sounds like you can have the 'vanilla' experience in games again.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/13399/

Haven't had the chance to test this theory, but it may also be helpful for those with low bandwidths who wish to download the base game and perhaps have the other dlc downloading while playing the base game, to apply later?

Tellaerin

It seems like a lot of the hand-wringing is coming from people who thought making a couple of indie games would be the ticket to easy street, that cranking out a solid platformer or two would make it possible to retire from your day job and live comfortably for the rest of your life.:p

I think we're going to see a major shakeout amongst indie developers, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I expect there to be less titles released overall, but I also expect that what does make it out into the wild will need to be better in order to stand out, elevating overall quality and leading to less so-called "bundle fodder" titles. Hey, guess we'll see soon enough.

Because Hawken is doing so well?

If Titanfall was a full up MOBA then maybe it would be a different situation.

or if it had hats/knives/bad rats.

Hawken fucked up by being greedy and not launching on steam. If they had at least launched day 1 on steam im sure they would've been better off in the long run. Instead, they came to steam with hat in hand well after the fact.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So I discovered the Wasteland 2 crowdsourced translation program and I spent the whole damn evening translating lines of dialogue.

And now I'm more hyped than ever for the game.

My wrist hurts.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I actually bothered to hook my computer up to my TV for once, and I was surprised at how few Steam games "have" controller support, as indicated by the controller support icon and Big Picture category. I know a ton of stuff was missing that has controller support, but still surprising. I've got 1100+ games, and only 350 with controller support

nexen

It seems like a lot of the hand-wringing is coming from people who thought making a couple of indie games would be the ticket to easy street, that cranking out a solid platformer or two would make it possible to retire from your day job and live comfortably for the rest of your life.:p

I think we're going to see a major shakeout amongst indie developers, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I expect there to be less titles released overall, but I also expect that what does make it out into the wild will need to be better in order to stand out, elevating overall quality and leading to less so-called "bundle fodder" titles. Hey, guess we'll see soon enough.
A lot of indie devs quit their day jobs and put their life savings into their projects under the lure of the blue sky profits that were being taken. Those conditions are gone. Many of these poor saps are going to be dragging their tails back to the cubicle farm with a new hole in their resume and an ass-load of fresh debt.

I actually bothered to hook my computer up to my TV for once, and I was surprised at how few Steam games "have" controller support, as indicated by the controller support icon and Big Picture category. I know a ton of stuff was missing that has controller support, but still surprising. I've got 1100+ games, and only 350 with controller support

I've found that number to be really inaccurate though, there a quite a few games that have no icon but work with a controller perfectly, either native or it has to be enabled in the options.

Grief.exe

I wonder if that only classifies as full controller support. Where the game can be run completely without mouse at any point.

This is also a new distinction, so not all games that have full controller support have it listed either.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've found that number to be really inaccurate though, there a quite a few games that have no icon but work with a controller perfectly, either native or it has to be enabled in the options.

Sure, but like... a publisher can't get an unpaid intern to do a quick check of their back catalogue and update the page metadata?

zkylon

zkylewd
so qube on royale thingie, hmm...

if it's literally just puzzles i dunno if i'd like it

I like how we played for like 8 hours that one time trying to beat the same thing and then never again. it was a good "lets ruin the game for ourselves" study
yup, i don't remember what it felt when i liked that game anymore

we shouldn't ever do that again lol

nexen

You know what I love? I love getting my lazy ass up off the couch to go click on the developer's app they place before the FULLY CONTROLLER ENABLED game launches. That shit never gets old.

I will do some reading with you as well. Been having X-rebirth on my radar for a while so I am quite surprised it is receiving this negativity.
lol, Things aren't looking rosy for me and this one. Terran Conflict seems to be that much better and more complex. It's the one Humble Bundle game I've bought this May, anyway.

Salsa

there's nothing quite like kicking back in your bed far from the tv and realizing the game has a launcher

nexen

Yeah true, especially with an entire section dedicated to controller support in BPM, it should be a bigger priority to make sure it's accurate.

If they haven't already Valve should do some analysis to show developers how much more "controller enabled" would sell their game. Probably not much, but maybe enough to justify an intern excursion into the back catalog.

there's nothing quite like kicking back in your bed far from the tv and realizing the game has a launcher
Exactly.

dani_dc

So, I'm considering buying RollerCoaster Tyccon 2 as well as 100% Orange Juice.
Despite the fact tha tI won't have time to play them until next friday (have a project for college this friday, and next Wednesday/Friday going to playtesting my game project in a college event).

Are there any impressions on 100% Orange Juice?

Knurek

While this is true for other devs, the notion that Jeff Vogel is one of these people is absurd. He's been making indie RPGs for the last 20 years!

RyanDG

less people will be playing it when it comes out as a full game than when it first showed up everywhere and was broken and unfinished, I guess that's another way of saying what im saying.

I've found myself no longer playing the early access games that I've purchased simply because I want to actually experience the full vision of the developers rather than the piece meal updates that we get with EA titles. I have to admit though, especially with multiplayer titles, I have the same fear as you. Most people who were eager about the game may be burned out by the time the game is finally released, ending up with a community that may not be as vibrant as what it could've been had we all experienced the full featured title at once (or near launch).

Part of me wonders if the whole early access system is actually healthy for a game's community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom