• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst is starting a controller enabled game, getting comfy in bed, then there's a fucking mouse pointer in the middle of the screen that doesn't disappear on its own.

why you gotta do me like that sleepy dawgs

Dr Dogg

Too many people are making games. (Too many people are also making TV shows, books, musical albums, comics, board games, and quite a lot else as well.)

There was an article in a music magazine over here, Melody Maker, a couple of years back about how the ease of music creation tools and low costs and viability of home studio solutions that the basic level of quality control was diminished. They were arguing before hand you could only get a single or demo produced if an A&R had scouted you or an exec thought you were good enough while the newer solutions meant only you had to think you were good enough due to the minuscule costs. There was some analysis of how this was impacting album and single sales but by the time they could revisit it they had ceased publishing.

I do wonder if the vast amount of low cost middleware game engines are having the same effect? I was having a look for some photography games on Greenlight after you posted about your Afrika playthrough and there really are some examples on there that seem more of a personal project than something as a commercial viable product. I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to make a game for their friends, family or even themselves but there should be a line drawn somewhere.

photo-9721.png

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sword of the Stars: The Pit -- MB-196212356D629388 - Taken by kudoboi. 2 entrants total.

t1400706374z1.png

Authority

Banned
lol, Things aren't looking rosy for me and this one. Terran Conflict seems to be that much better and more complex. It's the one Humble Bundle game I've bought this May, anyway.

Hope it gives you value.

The one you bought includes all versions right?

Kinda interested to find out its sales.

Score-wise it did well.

According to Wiki,
On release, X3 Terran Conflict was generally well received by critics, and scored very well on review aggregator websites,[26] including a 7.3 out of 10 on Metacritic,[27] a 78% on Game Rankings,[26] an 73 out of 100 on MobyGames,.[32]

Allgame awarded it 3.5 out of 5 and said "X3: Terran Conflict continues German developer EgoSoft's long-running series of space combat games in which players fight, manage an intergalactic corporation, and explore the X Universe in an attempt to return home to Earth",[28] IGN reviewed it and gave 8 out of 10 possible points.[29]

"In X3: Terran Conflict, EgoSoft has clearly given us both. Lovingly concocted, generally well executed, and hampered only by a few niggles, this is a game that not only achieves its goal -- plunking us into another time and place to live the life of an entrepreneurial spaceman -- but shows us that some titles can truly take us places."

IGN's Gord Goble on X3: Terran Conflict,

Gord Goble's review also spoke well of the game's content, simultaneously praising the gameplay and the depiction of the life of an entrepreneurial spaceman.[33] From GameShark received the game a B- rating and writer Dave VanDyk said "Why do we keep coming back to the same game, over and over again? Because it's just that addictive. Broken, but still addictive.[30] Criticism included slow frame rate on high settings, high learning curve, inconvenient controls, lack of multiplayer, bad voice acting, and poor story, although the critics mention that the severity of most of the frustrations were noticeably reduced when compared to previous games of the X series.[33]

nexen

There was an article in a music magazine over here, Melody Maker, a couple of years back about how the ease of music creation tools and low costs and viability of home studio solutions that the basic level of quality control was diminished. They were arguing before hand you could only get a single or demo produced if an A&R had scouted you or an exec thought you were good enough while the newer solutions meant only you had to think you were good enough due to the minuscule costs. There was some analysis of how this was impacting album and single sales but by the time they could revisit it they had ceased publishing.

I do wonder if the vast amount of low cost middleware game engines are having the same effect? I was having a look for some photography games on Greenlight after you posted about your Afrika playthrough and there really are some examples on there that seam more of a personal project than something as a commercial viable product. I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to make a game for their friends, family or even themselves but there should be a line drawn somewhere.
I disagree. Let the market decide. My only issue is making sure that there is sufficient discover-ability in the marketplace. That needs to be sorted for all media types though.

alstein

So, I'm considering buying RollerCoaster Tyccon 2 as well as 100% Orange Juice.
Despite the fact tha tI won't have time to play them until next friday (have a project for college this friday, and next Wednesday/Friday going to playtesting my game project in a college event).

Are there any impressions on 100% Orange Juice?

It's fun, but you have to have a tolerance for luck. It's not a competitive game at all- you want a competitive card game on Steam, wait for Faeria.

Tellaerin

While this is true for other devs, the notion that Jeff Vogel is one of these people is absurd. He's been making indie RPGs for the last 20 years!

Oh, the Spiderweb Software guy? He's the last person I'd expect to be worried about the indie bubble bursting. He's carved out a solid niche for himself in the RPG market, and no matter what happens, I expect him to come out of it unscathed financially.

A lot of indie devs quit their day jobs and put their life savings into their projects under the lure of the blue sky profits that were being taken. Those conditions are gone. Many of these poor saps are going to be dragging their tails back to the cubicle farm with a new hole in their resume and an ass-load of fresh debt.

On the one hand, I definitely can sympathize with anyone who finds themselves in dire financial straits right now, especially with the economy in the toilet. On the other, I could've told them that dumping their life savings into a pet project on the off chance that it'd be the next Minecraft was probably not the wisest gamble in the world, and I'd've advised most of them not to quit their day jobs (provided they still had their day jobs, anyway - it's a different story if you're already out of work and angling for a career change) and just work on game development as a sidelight until/unless a big break came along.

Sendou

I'm probably LTTP but interesting to see that apparently In-Home Streaming is now out of beta. They even got a quote from Bandai-Namco on this page for some reason.

"Currently Mac OS X, Linux, and SteamOS, with support for more systems coming soon." I wonder what systems they mean here.

Dr Dogg

I disagree. Let the market decide. My only issue is making sure that there is sufficient discover-ability in the marketplace. That needs to be sorted for all media types though.

Well we got this very weird system on Steam where the market is deciding on Greenlight titles that some take weeks to get the nod whilst others years. Though to counter that you have publishers like KISS who don't have to go through that process and publish a load of older titles on Steam without having to play that game. Couple that with a big problem of visibility and you can see it's got out of hand already. I have no idea what's the ideal solution to appease all parties concerned but I'd say the first step is to reign things in first to at least take stock of the situation before moving forward.

ArjanN

I just beat Valdis Story: Abyssal City.

So...how come none of you jerks told me this is the best Metroidvania game on Steam?

Just realized they're adding more content (playable characters/bosses/areas) as well.

Tellaerin

I just beat Valdis Story: Abyssal City.

So...how come none of you jerks told me this is the best Metroidvania game on Steam?

Just realized they're adding more content (playable characters/bosses/areas) as well.

I remember people here hyping it heavily when it went on sale over the holidays. I guess the train left without you. ; )

nexen

Well we got this very weird system on Steam where the market is deciding on Greenlight titles that some take weeks to get the nod whilst others years. Though to counter that you have publishers like KISS who don't have to go through that process and publish a load of older titles on Steam without having to play that game. Couple that with a big problem of visibility and you can see it's got out of hand already. I have no idea what's the ideal solution to appease all parties concerned but I'd say the first step is to reign things in first to at least take stock of the situation before moving forward.

I want smart, motivated people to solve the visibility problem instead of trying to get around it with gate-keeping. I don't want 'experts' deciding what I like and I want very niche markets to be able to have a fair shot at being profitable.

iow: let things go to shit until it motivates someone well enough to find a real solution.

On the one hand, I definitely can sympathize with anyone who finds themselves in dire financial straits right now, especially with the economy in the toilet. On the other, I could've told them that dumping their life savings into a pet project on the off chance that it'd be the next Minecraft was probably not the wisest gamble in the world, and I'd've advised most of them not to quit their day jobs (provided they still had their day jobs, anyway - it's a different story if you're already out of work and angling for a career change) and just work on game development as a sidelight until/unless a big break came along.
I'd wager that it is usually is a death-by-inches thing when you find out you've put yourself into this position. Knowing up front what kind of savings you are going to need to see a project through to market isn't easy. Hell, professional devs have enormous difficulty just determining how long it will take to develop a single feature, let alone the whole game plus all the business of getting it out in front of people. By the time the costs are uncomfortable you've got so much sunk into it even the most rational among us would be hard pressed to walk away.
Also developing a game while having a full time job .... yeaargh. I guess some people can do it, but they are likely to have a very specific set of conditions in their life (no wife, no kids, very young, and undemanding current career)
Language aside, I have a lot of sympathy for people who are about to eat the bubble right now. They followed their dreams, like the posters told them to, and they are going to eat shit because of it. These are the stories you almost never hear. For every Notch there are thousands of John Does who will take major steps back in their professional life because they were too late (or even too early).

ArjanN

I remember people here hyping it heavily when it went on sale over the holidays. I guess the train left without you. ; )

I figured it was a pretty small train. :p
Probably just got buried when this thread went a mile a minute.

I saw way more hype for Guacamelee and Dust, and while I like both those games quite a bit they're a lot more basic than Valdis.

Dolor

I think indies are more likely to squeeze out the big publishers than anything else. I think we will find that Indies will work to feed and cloth themselves and be happy that they can do that while doing something they love.

As soon as EA sees no viable path to make profits (on top of salaries and expenses for feeding and clothing their employees), their shareholders will shut them down.

Indies are the more effecient economic model, and especially with the democratization of AAA engines, I would not want to be working at a big publisher in the coming years.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Chompy Chomp Chomp is surprisingly fun. Not something I'd spend hours playing but it's good for some short burst gaming with or without friends.

didamangi

What is this sorcery?

Tell me about it, just tested one of the apps from the play store and it blew my mind. Remote desktop, projector mode, touchpad and all kinds of crazy modes as well. Crashed a lot on the more advance mode but the mouse thing works awesome.

I figured it was a pretty small train. :p
Probably just got buried when this thread went a mile a minute.

I saw way more hype for Guacamelee and Dust, and while I like both those games quite a bit they're a lot more basic than Valdis.

Yeah, I was one of 'em. Personally I think it's the best game of its kind on Steam.

nexen

Tell me about it, just tested one of the apps from the play store and it blew my mind. Remote desktop, projector mode, touchpad and all kinds of crazy modes as well. Crashed a lot on the more advance mode but the mouse thing works awesome.

I love living in the future. I can't wait until all the televisions and monitors in my house can output video from any of my devices at a moment's notice. Almost there now and it solves so many annoying issues.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Also, any Always Sometimes Monsters impressions here? Something I totally overlooked this past IGF, but that Eurogamer review has me a bit interested.

I'll post some later after I play a bit of it.

Sorry but I did not understand your reference.

She is pretty though, like taken from a FF series ~

JaseC will be pleased by that size of this image. The FF comment also made me google for anime Saoirse. Thanks to the horrors of deviantart, I was not disappointed.

Tizoc

Slowly going through Transistor. Getting a feel for its combat system but all in all the progression reminds me of FF13...

Aaron D.

So what exactly is the deal with Saoirse Ronan on gaming boards? I feel like I'm missing something, but I see pics of her everywhere.

Is she connected to geek culture in some way that I'm unaware of?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
So what exactly is the deal with Saoirse Ronan on gaming boards? I feel like I'm missing something, but I see pics of her everywhere.

Is she connected to geek culture in some way that I'm unaware of?

Nah it's just Jace and a couple others around here have a somewhat disturbing obsession with her. It has become sort of a running gag so when things get slow around SteamGAF things tend to veer into the realm of super creepy.

rtcn63

She's like fire and ice and rage. She's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. She's ancient and forever. She burns at the center of time and can see the turn of the universe. And... she's wonderful.

r3n4ud

She's like fire and ice and rage. She's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. She's ancient and forever. She burns at the center of time and can see the turn of the universe. And... she's wonderful.
See what we mean by disturbing obsession?!

probably way late on this. But I can stream windows games to my mac? that is amazing.

But if the pc is crappy, then it doesn't matter how good the mac is, right? or can a good streamer compensate for a bad streamed, if that makes sense

nexen

probably way late on this. But I can stream windows games to my mac? that is amazing.

But if the pc is crappy, then it doesn't matter how good the mac is, right? or can a good streamer compensate for a bad streamed, if that makes sense

performance depends almost exclusively on the machine actually running the game. The receiver could be a toaster as long as it can accept and post the images fast enough.
...and yes, if the pc actually running the game you are streaming can't run it at a decent clip then you will not improve matters by streaming it to another machine.

Authority

Banned
I'll post some later after I play a bit of it.

JaseC will be pleased by that size of this image. The FF comment also made me google for anime Saoirse. Thanks to the horrors of deviantart, I was not disappointed.

Thank god for image-resize >.>

By the way,

Update: Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark is scheduled for release this June, publisher Activision announced. According to a press release from the company, the game is a "complement" to Michael Bay's fourth Transformers film, Transformers: Age of Extinction, which will hit theaters June 27. Rise of the Dark Spark will bring together the world of Bay's films and the Cybertron universe, with more than 40 different playable characters across both universes.

Starscream: “Why this song?!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom