• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point was all that stuff made sense, it was just poorly implemented. Removing it and replacing it with left clicking more wasn't my ideal solution.
The gun handling skills were absolutely terrible and made no sense in context of the story either. ME1 skills also tended to have tons of minor incremental changes with a few big ones every so often, which was pretty pointless.

That said, for all ME3 got wrong, it had the best RPG element implementation of the three. A nice, condensed skill tree with distinct branches and a simple inventory system that allowed for gun customization, which was visually implemented in game.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Mass Effect
(Today, 09:18 AM)

image.php

Blizzard

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD9Sq_3Vn60

Very long shot, but does anyone have an idea what the song in this trailer is? I'm guessing it's some loop licensed from an obscure source, but it's what caught my attention when I was checking the new releases on Steam.

The actual ingame music seems to be by Erik Satie and I'm uninterested in that. :p

Miguel81

Castlevania Mirror of Fate HD has been a lot fun. The design, atmosphere, and the combat are great in 2.5D -- jumping is strange, though, like he has magnets and connects to the platform, even if he missed it by two feet. The design of Simon Belmont is ugh. I always pictured him as Dolph Lundren with long dirty-blond hair. Actually, Chris Hemsworth fits the bill as well. But this is a re-imagining, so a bulky red-headed Viking it is.

I understand that, ME2 was a pretty self-contained story so I get why people may not like it in the grand scheme of things, but I like it anyway since it felt like such a satisfactory, well-put together package (compare to ME3 which feels very incomplete without the DLC). About the choices, yeah, a lot of them don't have much of an effect overall, but saying that none of them do is just hyperbole.
Notably, the outcome of the Tuchanka and Rannoch arcs are very dependent on choices you made on ME2, as well as certain teammates surviving to 3.
Not surprisingly, those two arcs are usually considered the best set of missions on the game.

I kind of see what you're saying, but my point of view remains unaltered. ;)

As I said, it's pretty hard to lose team members in that mission... so the possibility they might not be around in 3 is pretty minute. Furthermore, those choices are pretty cosmetic, as most of the people just show up for cameos and can't really be squad members.

From what I experienced and looked up on the arcs you mentioned, it's still just aesthetic. It's not like you actually are rewarded for recruiting them and having them fight with you to "save earth and the universe"... you just get some arbitrary strength of galactic forces number increased... maybe a special weapon or two or something from what I recall, but it's nothing along the lines of "here's an ENTIRELY different section of plot you can't access because you played ME2 and chose this option.". For all the hype BioWare put on the choices mattering, it merely affected dialogue for the most part. The ending of the game is still the same. The mission set is still the same.

Now Dragon Age... that one, the choices you make, what races you recruit, directly affects the final battle and how it plays out. Each set of races of which you must select 1, basically, has unique attributes as units in that final battle. I remember cursing that I'd made a particular choice because in retrospect I thought the final boss would've been easier with alternate units. Now THAT's consequences of my choices.

Thanks for the vote of confidence...
Any idea on how to farm gempoints? I'm out of them and need to upgrade the raise and interrupt abilities on gems 4 and 5.

You get gem points by discovering tamagotchis (or whatever those spirits were called).
FYI, no need for interrupt ability if you dont wanna grind more gempoints than needed.

Edit: IIRC you can reset your gem points where you upgrade your gems?
In that case you can reset it and spend it all on gem 4 and 5, the first three wont be used anyway.

Speaking of Mass Effect 3, I bought the trilogy :(Origin) and it's missing a lot of the cool DLC -- Thanks EA.
I think it's really fucked up that the only way to get all the DLC for all the games at a not-bullshit price is pirating the games. The Bioware points stuff should've been axed years ago and the DLC should be put on sale like the games themselves.

mrgone

Speaking of Mass Effect 3, I bought the trilogy :(Origin) and it's missing a lot of the cool DLC -- Thanks EA.

They've also had a shitload of DLC sales on other platforms, but not so much on the PC. That Bioware point system and the integration of DLC purchases into the game itself (eliminating storefront sales) is pretty ludicrous. And irritating.

I literally can't finish Darksiders 2 it crashes so much and I'm on the final boss too. Think I'll just count my losses and play the first one instead.

Pachimari

Hmm, for some reason, I'm super afraid Virtua Tennis 4 is getting pulled soon due to GFWL. Do any of you have extras one can buy just in case?

Miguel81

Worst thing about it it's that you have to buy the dlcs with Bioware points. What.The.Fuck.

I think it's really fucked up that the only way to get all the DLC for all the games at a not-bullshit price is pirating the games. The Bioware points stuff should've been axed years ago and the DLC should be put on sale like the games themselves.

They've also had a shitload of DLC sales on other platforms, but not so much on the PC. That Bioware point system and the integration of DLC purchases into the game itself (eliminating storefront sales) is pretty ludicrous. And irritating.

It's a dick move in order to make more money, and a nice way to piss off your customers. It was only 9 bucks, but damn if I'm buying the DLC at those prices. Let me guess, next they'll release the Mass Effect Deluxe trilogy. The Crysis trilogy has everything included, so maybe they wised up a teensy-weensy bit.

Edit: Anyway, for those that have Resident Evil Revelations, have they fixed the aiming lag? The demo had a nice atmosphere, and I like the shooter controls, but damn is the aiming sloppy -- as is the dodge mechanic.

I have good news (more of a personal thing though). Turns out, all my files weren't deleted. They were just put into a folder called "windows old" for some reason. All my Steam games were in there, including everything else.

I'm pretty happy right now. I also think Dark Souls will finally play, since it cleaned my computer up a bit.

That is the most common scamming tactic I know of, guys friend can't add you, because of error, sends phishing link steann.connmunity.com or something like that, has you sign in, steals password. Check the URL and see if it's misspelled.

Happened to me once, checked the link before clicking, then immediately said nice try and banned the guy on steam ;).

Yeah I've heard it sucks. I'll just Youtube it. I want to like this game, the art is great, but it's so bloated and riddled with bugs.

Darksiders II wasn't even that long, imo, but the final boss and ending sequence were indeed a let down. Then again, I'm of the old school of thought where longer is always better if you are getting engaging content. Even If I never finish the game due to length or something, I don't really care. Darksiders II was soo much better than the first.

denx

From what I experienced and looked up on the arcs you mentioned, it's still just aesthetic. It's not like you actually are rewarded for recruiting them and having them fight with you to "save earth and the universe"... you just get some arbitrary strength of galactic forces number increased... maybe a special weapon or two or something from what I recall, but it's nothing along the lines of "here's an ENTIRELY different section of plot you can't access because you played ME2 and chose this option.". For all the hype BioWare put on the choices mattering, it merely affected dialogue for the most part. The ending of the game is still the same. The mission set is still the same.

Not gonna argue that. Although some of the choices you made in the previous games have some massive consequences on some specific arcs of ME3,
they still matter little (or next to nothing) to the final outcome of the game. And yeah, the galactic forces/readyness system was a massive disappointment. Way to make most of your individual choices not matter.

But hey, the multiplayer is still a lot of fun, probably the best thing about ME3 imo.

So I bought Wolfenstein: New Order on impulse, a physical copy, because Doom Beta, it looks kinda neat, I don't want to download a 40GB game but mainly Doom beta. First physical media PC gaming purchase in I don't know how long, Starcraft II Wings of Liberty CE maybe? The game comes on 4 DVD's! I know it's 40GB's so that shouldn't be too surprising but it just feels like I'm installing a game in the late 90's/early 00's and using multiple floppies or CD's.

It's kinda nuts that Blurays and Bluray drives aren't more of a standard on PC's and we're still rocking DVD9's.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I know how difficult it is to make a game with so many choices be dependent on past titles, but I wish they would have really gone for it rather than the ME3 as it turned out.

Rather than a six to ten hour game, whatever it ended up being, I instead wish they had done 3 separate two-to-three-and-half-hour-long story lines in game, each with radically different endings to each other depending on key events that occurred in Mass Effect 1 and 2. Just a full go out and try to make the best out of the key outcomes and really let players feel it was truly different for them than it was other players. So same disc, just imported file from ME1 and ME2 would determine game A or game B or game C depending on imported choices, such as a certain species being freed or not.
Oh aye people would have complained about it being a "short game", but I believe if was a really satisfying conclusion combined with all the talk from other people about their different experiences, it would have gotten people to play the games yet again and not have any such feeling of "rip off" because it means more game play time.

mrgone

So I bought Wolfenstein: New Order on impulse, a physical copy, because Doom Beta, it looks kinda neat, I don't want to download a 40GB game but mainly Doom beta. First physical media PC gaming purchase in I don't know how long, Starcraft II Wings of Liberty CE maybe? The game comes on 4 DVD's! I know it's 40GB's so that shouldn't be too surprising but it just feels like I'm installing a game in the late 90's/early 00's and using multiple floppies or CD's.

It's kinda nuts that Blurays and Bluray drives aren't more of a standard on PC's and we're still rocking DVD9's.

It drove me so crazy that PC games were still being released on stacks of CDs nearly a decade after DVD-ROM drives were standard on nearly all new computers sold. It's kind of that all over again

Miguel81

I have good news (more of a personal thing though). Turns out, all my files weren't deleted. They were just put into a folder called "windows old" for some reason. All my Steam games were in there, including everything else.

I'm pretty happy right now. I also think Dark Souls will finally play, since it cleaned my computer up a bit.

It's happened to me every time I re-install Windows. After moving all my wanted folders/files, I used Disk Cleanup to get rid of that folder.

denx

I know how difficult it is to make a game with so many choices be dependent on past titles, but I wish they would have really gone for it rather than the ME3 as it turned out.

Rather than a six to ten hour game, whatever it ended up being, I instead wish they had done 3 separate two-to-three-and-half-hour-long games each with radically different endings to each other depending on key events that occurred in Mass Effect 1 and 2. Just a full go out and try to make the best out of the key outcomes and really let players feel it was truly different for them than it was other players.

As disappointed as I was in ME3, I'm still very much looking forward to ME4 (or whatever they're gonna call it). I love the ME universe and the idea of getting to visit new planets, have new adventures and meet a new cast of characters has me very excited. Hopefully they'll learn from the ME 1-2-3 trilogy and have choices that really do matter and lead to branching paths... and if not, then be straightforward about it and don't try to bullshit your players about how your choices matter just a month before ME3 came out.

Also, lol title change.

Miguel81

Some of them are damn cheap too -- mine was an LG for 30 bucks. Absolutely wonderful for movies/shows. Unfortunately, PowerDVD is bloatware, but it covers everything including automatic 24hz switch.

Castlevania Mirror of Fate HD has been a lot fun. The design, atmosphere, and the combat are great in 2.5D -- jumping is strange, though, like he has magnets and connects to the platform, even if he missed it by two feet. The design of Simon Belmont is ugh. I always pictured him as Dolph Lundren with long dirty-blond hair. Actually, Chris Hemsworth fits the bill as well. But this is a re-imagining, so a bulky red-headed Viking it is.

You got a problem with gingers, buddy? >_<

And yeah, the jumping and platforming is wonky, but it's a pretty solid Metroidvania type title and they got the combat to translate pretty well, IMO.

You get gem points by discovering tamagotchis (or whatever those spirits were called).
FYI, no need for interrupt ability if you dont wanna grind more gempoints than needed.

Edit: IIRC you can reset your gem points where you upgrade your gems?
In that case you can reset it and spend it all on gem 4 and 5, the first three wont be used anyway.

Hah @ Tamagotchis.
May weeboo status is making me want to call all the main characters by the Inuyasha characters they seem to be based on (Kagome, Miroku, Inuyasha)... it also makes me want to call the Tamagotchis Tsukuyomi.

But that's exactly what I figured out when I went to see if grinding normal kills got me any more points... and I reset everything and then rebalanced so that gems 1/2/4/5 were full raise and full interrupt. I took a few extra specials and such (such as gem 3) and then went and kicked it's ass with my katana tamagotchi. :D

Not gonna argue that. Although some of the choices you made in the previous games have some massive consequences on some specific arcs of ME3,
they still matter little (or next to nothing) to the final outcome of the game. And yeah, the galactic forces/readyness system was a massive disappointment. Way to make most of your individual choices not matter.

But hey, the multiplayer is still a lot of fun, probably the best thing about ME3 imo.

You're entirely right on that last point -- it was a mind blowing suprise how well that worked out. One of those times I was wrong in thinking it was a waste of time for devs to tick that multiplayer checkbox.

It drove me so crazy that PC games were still being released on stacks of CDs nearly a decade after DVD-ROM drives were standard on nearly all new computers sold. It's kind of that all over again

Some of them are damn cheap too -- mine was an LG for 30 bucks. Absolutely wonderful for movies/shows. Unfortunately, PowerDVD is bloatware, but it covers everything including automatic 24hz switch.

I don't know if the gaming industry will bother to switch away from using DVD's with physical media PC games since selling things like music, movies and games on little plastic discs seems to be going the way of the Dodo. Although maybe Bluray will become the new standard if the FCC helps ruin the internet.

I can only read (sing) the title as

p4a_junes_jingle.gif

Every day is great in your Steam thread?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
well.. i guess at least valve improved on the enhanced steam price feature. I just noticed that it indicates the volume sold as well which AFAIK was not in enhanced steam

That's a good booster. It's amazing how well anime cards sell for on Steam.

who got hacked to prompt the title change

BY2K, but at least he was able to change his password after entering it.

Guarantee it was from the Watch Dogs 'current-gen is equivalent to high PC settings' thread.

Probably, considering that there are other bans in the thread as well. Main reason why I'm starting to avoid Watch Dogs threads, risk is too great.

every time improve protection!

SJBDZTo.jpg

Oh wow, how did I miss this?

Guarantee it was from the Watch Dogs 'current-gen is equivalent to high PC settings' thread.

That seems a likely candidate.

There's a good reason I don't wander outside of the few threads I actually like. I might start posting all sorts of inflammatory ideas and end up banned.

I still remember that time I wandered into the thread about the NT forums closing and walked out with a ban. I still do not agree with that one.

Miguel81

I don't know if the gaming industry will bother to switch away from using DVD's with physical media PC games since selling things like music, movies and games on little plastic discs seems to be going the way of the Dodo. Although maybe Bluray will become the new standard if the FCC helps ruin the internet.

I'm not expecting BD-ROM to be used for games at all. They're great for films/shows because streaming has poor quality audio, and only decent video when compared to high bit rate video and lossless audio on BD. Games are the same, whether on disk or DD.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That seems a likely candidate.

There's a good reason I don't wander outside of the few threads I actually like. I might start posting all sorts of inflammatory ideas and end up banned.

I still remember that time I wandered into the thread about the NT forums closing and walked out with a ban. I still do not agree with that one.

Good lesson, I wandered into a Wii U thread a couple of days ago and proceeded to apparently piss off a bunch of people so I decided to quickly apologize and stop talking/leave >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom