• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It does if you're playing ironman mode. If you're not, then you're not save scumming enough
Well when the game didn't just handhold but pretty much dragged me around for 3 hours before giving a bit of breathing room to act for myself, I figured it was handling saving too. I guess not. I wonder how long it will be before I feel like repeating that shit again.... Hm... Maybe never. *goes to play Mario Golf*

Played XCOM:EU for 5-6 hours. Mission said something about capture the commander, after I had already loaded out and didn't have a capturing device equipped. Quit. Re-enter game... oh, this doesn't have autosave like 97% of games these days...

iXPOeEdhF7f3r.gif

Ouch!

It does have autosave but only if you turn it on in the options first :/. Sorry!

Also, Uzzy is correct; if you don't capture the Sectoid Commander on that mission you will have ample opportunities to do so in subsequent UFO assault missions.

Bad news: you lost 5-6 hours progress.
Good news: you were playing XCOM!

:)

_hekk05

Banned
Well when the game didn't just handhold but pretty much dragged me around for 3 hours before giving a bit of breathing room to act for myself, I figured it was handling saving too. I guess not. I wonder how long it will be before I feel like repeating that shit again.... Hm... Maybe never. *goes to play Mario Golf*

Looks like you learned your first XCOM lesson™: The game is fucking unfair to you

Dr Dogg

You do realize, we are one step away from asking for a Post Traumatic CoD playing game? (><)

No what I'm saying is that all we have in gaming is glorification of violence when it comes to military games. Not to sound like a pacifist or something but if we want this hobby of ours to be at least taken seriously by outsiders then being able to make anti war statement at least would be a step in the right direction. Spec Ops The Line was a bit different but at the end of the day it was still at it's heart a shooter.

A shock to the system would be to have a game marketed like COD, starts out like Saving Private Ryan for 15 mins before playing out like the later half of Born on the Forth of July mixed in with Jacobs Ladder. Sadly I don't feel there is anyone with the necessary tact to do it justice.

The fact that something like M.A.S.H. Or Catch 22 can make great anti-war statements whilst being extremely funny doesn't mean it needs to be a straight up serious endeavour either. Sadly it seams the audience dictates the games that get made at the top end so you'd be asking a lot of someone not beholden to a publisher or string of marketing departments.

Dice

if you're not playing iron man mode you're not playing xcom anyway breh
da fuck is ironman mode

Looks like you learned your first XCOM lesson™: The game is fucking unfair to you
Well it was pretty fun until this experience just reversed all my good-feelings towards it. I hate nothing more than repeating shit. Oh wait no, I do: Repeating scripted shit.

_hekk05

Banned
da fuck is ironman mode

Well it was pretty fun until this experience just reversed all my good-feelings towards it. I hate nothing more than repeating shit. Oh wait no, I do: Repeating scripted shit.

Ironman mode:

Good - auto-saving!!

Bad - perma deaths, no take-backsies

The scripted scenes are where you're unlikely to fail, but its still possible. Anything after that, rng can fuck you over upside down sideways

Its your own fault for not saving anyway.

Arthea

No what I'm saying is that all we have in gaming is glorification of violence when it comes to military games. Not to sound like a pacifist or something but if we want this hobby of ours to be at least taken seriously by outsiders then being able to make anti war statement at least would be a step in the right direction. Spec Ops The Line was a bit different but at the end of the day it was still at it's heart a shooter.

A shock to the system would be to have a game marketed like COD, starts out like Saving Private Ryan for 15 mins before playing out like the later half of Born on the Forth of July mixed in with Jacobs Ladder. Sadly I don't feel there is anyone with the necessary tact to do it justice.

The fact that something like M.A.S.H. Or Catch 22 can make great anti-war statements whilst being extremely funny doesn't mean it needs to be a straight up serious endeavour either. Sadly it seams the audience dictates the games that get made at the top end so you'd be asking a lot of someone not beholden to a publisher or string of marketing departments.

Oh! I'm not even afraid to sound like a pacifist, we totally need more non violent games. Like a lot more. I wouldn't mind a high budget adventure game, for example. Like we had Myst back in the day. Not saying it has to be like Myst, but something different than shoot ten thousand waves of enemies, would be nice to have.

Tellaerin

Why should it matter if "outsiders" take gaming seriously? That doesn't really seem like a good reason to develop a game along particular lines. (And I'd say the same about any creative endeavor - art, music, literature, etc.)

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that there's room to explore these themes in games. There definitely is. But if someone steps up to the plate to do it, I think they should be motivated by the desire to create an interesting and entertaining experience, rather than some misguided urge to get people to take videogames more seriously.

oipic

Every Battleblock Theater Beta tester gets the game free.

Nice :D

I put enough time into this during the beta to know it was something I was going to buy, so this is indeed wonderful news, and a very kind and generous gesture from the Battleblock Theater devs.

da fuck is ironman mode

It is a mode for masochists and/or elitists!

Seriously though, Ironman is pretty awesome unless one gets a bug like your soldier clipping through the scenery into Limbo or rare crap like that. Or you have a pussycat on your desk who stretches and hits your mouse, sending one of your soldiers out of cover and into the middle where they get shot to hell by a mass of encamped aliens.

Otherwise it really ramps up the intensity, especially early to mid game. I can certainly appreciate why it has its advocates. If the game was completely bug free I would probably be one of them.

That's a shame but eminently understandable. I'm glad you enjoyed what you played though and hope you will give it another chance once your annoyance has passed. I know the cut scenes off by heart I've played the game so much. Normally I would agree with you about repeating scripted content but there's an undercurrent of pervyness to the main NPC characters that makes them worth watching for the lulz, for me.

Copons

Why should it matter if "outsiders" take gaming seriously? That doesn't really seem like a good reason to develop a game along particular lines. (And I'd say the same about any creative endeavor - art, music, literature, etc.)

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that there's room to explore these themes in games. There definitely is. But if someone steps up to the plate to do it, I think they should be motivated by the desire to create an interesting and entertaining experience, rather than some misguided urge to get people to take videogames more seriously.

Also, to a certain extent, I'd prefer less traditional media involvement with videogames.
Like, no more tirades about that random guy who went on a killing spree, and had a GTA poster in his room, or Breivik who trained for his massacre playing COD.

All in all, I'd say there's even too much outsider interest in gaming, a thing that led to objective pointers always showed 3 meters far from Lara in Tomb Raider. :D

Dr Dogg

No there's way more scope and reasons but I'm a bit pressed for time and can't exactly write out a thesis on the ins and outs why so as just a quick point to illustrate what is one of the first things the sensationalist media reach for when a tragic event happens like a mass shooting? Violent video games. Completely overlooking the depth of genres as well and just picking up the post child at the time. Regards to military themed shooters is used to Counter Strike now it's CoD. It would be nice next time that happens that at least we can hold up something as a counter point that they might have at least heard of.

I'm certainly not saying that should be the creators motivation, in fact quite the opposite. The very fact that a lot of issues are underrepresented in the media in any form should be a motivation and gaming is a unique platform as it's not wholly a passive experience, you don't just sit back but you have to get involved. Sometimes with most of the more enlightening creative works out there the sole motivation for there existence is something personal to the creator. No way should it be forced to suit an agenda.

Anyway I'm banging on too much so back to the Steam things.

Myshkin

if you're not playing iron man mode you're not playing xcom anyway breh

I never touched casual

I don't wanna get FILTHY
I played it on regular, because I couldn't be sure that ironman would be what I want.
I blame the dev; it's bad form to assume the player is save scumming.

Hasney

Ironman mode:

Good - auto-saving!!

Bad - perma deaths, no take-backsies

The scripted scenes are where you're unlikely to fail, but its still possible. Anything after that, rng can fuck you over upside down sideways

That auto-save almost killed me on the last level in Ironman mode. The last room, I put a tank through and none of my guys could go through the door for some reason. I just about managed to survive and kill everyone to finish it.

_hekk05

Banned
I played it on regular, because I couldn't be sure that ironman would be what I want.
I blame the dev; it's bad form to assume the player is save scumming.

No one is accusing anyone of save scumming, but if you pick ironman, we definitely know you played through the game with no take-backsies.

You think people would just go on the internet and tell lies?

Myshkin

No one is accusing anyone of save scumming, but if you pick ironman, we definitely know you played through the game with no take-backsies.

You think people would just go on the internet and tell lies?
I think most of what appear to be lies on the Internet are just instances of people deluding themselves.
Repeating myself, you can see that someone can play a game without planning to make regular saves, and it's lame that a game doesn't autosave by default. Of course, it's no actual problem for me when the option is there, because I always go through the options before first playing.

_hekk05

Banned
I think most of what appear to be lies on the Internet are just instances of people deluding themselves.
Repeating myself, you can see that someone can play a game without planning to make regular saves, and it's lame that a game doesn't autosave by default. Of course, it's no actual problem for me when the option is there, because I always go through the options before first playing.

Well, one should take a hint if there is no icon that indicates saving is occuring during multiple hours of play.

There is autosave though, you can activate it in the options. Ironman mode isn't only a way to force autosave, it changes the way you approach the game, as any mistake can have drastic results.

The biggest thing to take from this is that one should never assume.

CoD: Advanced Warfare huh? Such an uninspired subtitle.

Modern Warfare -> Advanced Warfare -> Post-Modern Warfare -> Future Warfare -> Advanced Future Warfare
Was thinking about this when I saw it. I wonder if the Advanced Warfighters and the Future Soldiers are also in CoD.

Dice

I think it's the game's fault for not even letting me know. There was no clue as to when the tutorial ended or when I should save or that manual saving was even a thing. Every time I finished anything it'd just drop me into another person yappin at me followed by an urgent something. And don't give me shit about PC gaming traditions because the times have changed and you have to function contextually to the scene if you're going to make all the rest of your game in keeping with the times like that. If you aren't, you need a heads up so it isn't misleading. Even something like Starcraft 2 with a save button in the corner of the screen is enough.

topyy

Does Shiny Loot give credits for each game and bundle ? I think those Shiny Loot keys from Groupees are useless before.
bwFgUFB.jpg

_hekk05

Banned
I think it's the game's fault for not even letting me know. There was no clue as to when the tutorial ended or when I should save or that manual saving was even a thing. Every time I finished anything it'd just drop me into another person yappin at me followed by an urgent something. And don't give me shit about PC gaming traditions because the times have changed and you have to function contextually to the scene if you're going to make all the rest of your game in keeping with the times like that. If you aren't, you need a heads up so it isn't misleading. Even something like Starcraft 2 with a save button in the corner of the screen is enough.

Did you not press escape throughout those few hours of play? I'm pretty sure there's an option for saving when you do. Were there any warnings about not turning off the game or the power when "saving icon" appears on screen? I don't remember since I haven't played XCOM in a long time, but there certainly were hints

As for PC gaming traditions, I always manually save anyway even though there are autosaves. Win 8 has taught me that sometimes saves are not written if I accidentally did not start application in administrator mode. Even though I'm an administrator and the only fucking account on this stupid piece of shit OS.

SCREW YOU WIN 8!!!!

Point is, you assumed lol.

Copons

Did you not press escape throughout those few hours of play? I'm pretty sure there's an option for saving when you do. Were there any warnings about not turning off the game or the power when "saving icon" appears on screen? I don't remember since I haven't played XCOM in a long time, but there certainly were hints

As for PC gaming traditions, I always manually save anyway even though there are autosaves. Win 8 has taught me that sometimes saves are not written if I accidentally did not start application in administrator mode. Even though I'm an administrator and the only fucking account on this stupid piece of shit OS.

SCREW YOU WIN 8!!!!

Point is, you assumed lol.

I guess it's not a problem of Win 8 only. I learned a similar thing on Vista, when after days of data entry I discovered I installed the database server in an admin only folder (you know, like, PROGRAM FILES) and it didn't save shit because even though I was an admin, the program didn't run with admin privileges.
Aah, those were the days, living on the edge.

_hekk05

Banned
I guess it's not a problem of Win 8 only. I learned a similar thing on Vista, when after days of data entry I discovered I installed the database server in an admin only folder (you know, like, PROGRAM FILES) and it didn't save shit because even though I was an admin, the program didn't run with admin privileges.

Hahaha. Hours of work, wasted. I remember I couldn't save for shit in a game I had just spent 4 hours in. Even though the autosave thing had been running the entire time.

Fucking matlab is installed in C:\program files and if I don't start it in admin mode I can't even create a new file, let alone edit one.

I have no idea whose bright idea it was to revoke admin privileges from admins, but if I find him, I will fuck him up so hard he won't be able to even lie down in peace.

Dr Dogg

And you wonder why lots of small business still hung on to XP despite it not being a big endeavour to transfer over to Vista. UAC on Vista was a right pain in how it was implemented before the first SP if I recall.

Saying that I've been using a cloud based solution for game saves for donkey years, way before Steam implemented Cloud saves (that and I've got and insane amount of DropBox storage over the years). One big downer with a few of these services is though that they don't usually back up a file if it has protected access from the program using it (as I've found out to my cost many a time when InDesign files suddenly go missing) which a fair few game saves are like, Football Manager as an example. That's why Windows 8 not having Shadow Copy fully implemented is just nuts.

wazoo

It does depend on how much reverence you have for the medium. And videogames don't feel as timeless.

Most movies are junk, it does not change that cinema highlights are timeless as you say. Video games are yet maybe to define itself (it is a very young medium).

I like PC gaming because it pushes memories of gameplay for 30 years, whereas console gaming is more "reboot every 5 years". For this, backlog is like a window in the past, appreciate it or not.

Tizoc

Croixleur Sigma has more Playfire rewards now.
One requires making a 250 Chain and the other involves "Absorb 25 enemy attacks using in-dash invincibility."
Any tips to getting these cheevos please?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Repost and the last time I'll annoy the Steam thread with this. I want to give 10 more keys away and the $1 sale is ending in 17 hours. Same rules as always. State your interest for the key in the game thread (listed below), since I wont check the Steam thread constantly and please, please write some impressions eventually over in the game thread for others to read some more opinions that dont only come from myself. Feel free to post in the Steam thread as well if you like the game. Its hard getting people interested in these small games, so you can help out a dev by just posting a few lines of impressions! No hidden further costs :p Description follows:

The game is currently not on Steam, but since some people here liked my recommendations, I'll just throw my recommendation and Paywhatyouwant offer in here as well:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809833

My initial impressions:
I am enjoying this game immensely because of its level structure. I expected more of a simulation type game, but what it feels like is more of a very accessable turn based puzzle game with simulation game mechanics. Its hard to describe, because Cubesis is quite... unusual and wacky (in a good way). You are building buildings, growing crops and terraforming the land by sacrificing your villagers, which you are gaining via keeping your city healthy, supported with food, not flooded and not frozen over. The game mechanics are rather simple while also offering enough depth to be interesting, for example taking care of the temperature or sea level by appeasing gods to allow for walking on the ground of the sea or to water fields to allow for growing crops.
Cubesis is quite a bit less complex than "proper" simulation games, but the Cubesis developers knew how to play to their strength. Instead of a huge focus on randomized Free Play (where they cant possibly compete with something like Banished which is way more intricate, but is still being offered as an extra level), they have 24 levels (including the tutorial levels) that need to be conquered and I am incredibly enjoying terraforming the land to achieve the goals set in each level. Banished is very likely the objectively better game, but for the time being and until I solve all the levels, I am enjoying Cubesis quite a bit more. I checked it out yesterday and couldnt stop playing until 4 hours later.

And an amateurish YT video I made of the gameplay with some control explanations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBhqVvF-O6E

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This Advanced Warfare game is exactly what the PC platform needs. Looks like all those people disappointed at Destiny will finally have a shooter to play.
Yes I agree, it looks significantly better than what we have been shown of Destiny. Especially the latest gameplay clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom