• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started Kung Fu Strike: the Warrior's Rise and after 30 or so minutes I'm giving up. I don't find it fun and it got far too difficult too quickly. I didn't like how it kept telling me to press deflect at the right time to block the attack yet it never told me what the "right time" was. I'm glad I got this in a bundle. I also had to delete files from the games directory to make it run, so I guess I was just frustrated from the very beginning.

lexi

Banned
7ce0OyR.png

What a steal! I can't wait for the Daily Deal to get it at $50!

Levyne

Banned
Dark Souls 2 is awesome. I suck at it :D. I'm going to take my time playing, but I won't end up with many of the Playfire rewards :(

Heh, I wish I was getting rewards. My playfire thing is absolutely borked.

Ah well. And yeah, I always play cautiously and slow. I always use a shield and very rarely even roll.

lexi

Banned
Is there somewhere I can read on the economics behind Australian prices being so high for videogames?

Is it some kind of tax your government imposes on them?

No, there's no tax or anything like that.

Not all publishers do this, Activision are by FAR the worst. Ubisoft, Valve, and others price games 1:1 on Steam, or at worst maybe a few dollars more, which is fine.

The best explanation I have for this pricing issue is many years ago the Australian dollar basically collapsed and was buying 50 US cents. Prices on everything went up. When the Australian dollar gained value and even eclipsed the US dollar, prices on software never came down -- everything else did.

Sweet, got DarkXL working through Steam so I can now play Star Wars: Dark Forces with full mouse look, at a modern resolution and with some minor visual upgrades. Had to sacrifice the progress I had made but the upgrades are worth it.

Caerith

Yes. It's almost criminal.
Makes sense.

Not all publishers do this, Activision are by FAR the worst. Ubisoft, Valve, and others price games 1:1 on Steam, or at worst maybe a few dollars more, which is fine.

The best explanation I have for this pricing issue is many years ago the Australian dollar basically collapsed and was buying 50 US cents. Prices on everything went up. When the Australian dollar gained value and even eclipsed the US dollar, prices on software never came down -- everything else did.

Isn't the Aussie minimum wage $15 ($13.9 USD)? I've heard it speculated that's part of the reason the prices are so high. For comparison, it's only $7.25 in the US (A$7.82). I mean it's still BS that you're getting charged so much when the currencies are so close in value, but that could be part of the reason.

lexi

Banned
Makes sense.

Isn't the Aussie minimum wage $15 ($13.9 USD)? I've heard it speculated that's part of the reason the prices are so high. For comparison, it's only $7.25 in the US (A$7.82). I mean it's still BS that you're getting charged so much when the currencies are so close in value, but that could be part of the reason.

This isn't an excuse. It's an artificially imposed higher price, whereas the rest of our goods and services are priced relevant to our economy, games and other digital goods have high prices for no reason.

rookiejet

There was a GAFfer, I can't recall the username, who decided to spend at least one hour playing every game in their Steam library to see if they liked the game enough to bother sticking with it. Even gave 1 hour reviews.

I'm trying to do the same. Taking a run at the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series.

I had stopped buying games and other media I didn't have the time for after reading this account. It didn't last long. I did note a few books on hoarding after I read that article, though, thanks for reminding me.

DocSeuss

Hey, I won a game earlier, but due to the whole job loss thing, been super stressed. Still am. But wanted to thank Sammichu for that game I won.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there somewhere I can read on the economics behind Australian prices being so high for videogames?

Is it some kind of tax your government imposes on them?

The opposite: there was actually a government-led investigation into why Aussie software prices are so ridiculous. Basically, current game prices came into play way back when the AUD was hovering at around USD$0.50 or less, but didn't reduce when the dollar stabilised with a higher value -- in other words, publishers price gouge here because they get away with it. There has been a small downward trend, to a degree, in recent years due to the increasing preference to import (or obtain games via gifting in the case of digital distribution), but we're still paying more than we ought to.

In totally unrelated news, the fibre rollout has begun in my area after some ~20 months of inactivity. If all goes well I should have real internet within a year.

The opposite: there was actually a Government-led investigation into why Aussie software prices are so ridiculous. Basically, current game prices came into play way back when the AUD was hovering at around USD$0.50 or less, but didn't reduce when the dollar stabilised with a higher value -- in other words, publishers price gouge here because they get away with it. There has been a small downward trend, to a degree, in recent years due to the increasing preference to import (or obtain games via gifting in the case of digital distribution), but we're still paying more than we ought to.

In totally unrelated news, the fibre rollout has begun in my area after some ~21 months of inactivity. If all goes well I should have real internet within a year.

I used to be in an area where the rollout was to commence inside a year and I'd seen the crews less than 2km from my house. Then the government changed and now it's just not happening at all anywhere near me.

_hekk05

Banned
I used to be in an area where the rollout was to commence inside a year and I'd seen the crews less than 2km from my house. Then the government changed and now it's just not happening at all anywhere near me.

When I was in Aus for a holiday there was a big hoohah about how the fibre rollout was gonna be delayed. I guess nothing's changed then?

Actually this is wrong. Activision are pretty good for Australia because outside of call of duty, most of their games are cheaper in Australia.

As long as I can get around it, I don't have a problem with them trying to charge more, especially to call of duty fans who can subsidise my gaming. Once they region lock like Nintendo we have another issue (or like Valve is probably bringing in, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it).

dreamfall

I'm always like two pages late.

But if that news about the Hotline Miami 2 soundtrack being better than the first is subjectively true to Devolver, I may just die of the hype.

Injected, straight, into my veins. Dennis mask foreva!

JaseC

it's probably jasec's fault the price is so high there

I plead the fifth!

When I was in Aus for a holiday there was a big hoohah about how the fibre rollout was gonna be delayed. I guess nothing's changed then?

The current government says its want to switch from FTTH to FTTN (slightly cheaper in the short-term but more expensive in the long, plus it's slower in terms of bandwidth), however I don't expect it to actually happen -- it's dumb (but that's partisan politics for you) and there's too much red tape involved. Build instructions for FTTH are still being issued, but it's difficult to say whether or not the rollout is actually slowing down since under the previous government an area was considered as under construction as soon as a contractor accepted the job whereas now it's only when the actual fibre itself is being hauled. In truth I appreciate the definition change since it now reflects when actual physical work is underway, however what's frustrating is that there has been zero clarification as to whether or not the areas that disappeared from the rollout map due to not fitting the new definition will still proceed as scheduled or if they'll be avoided for the time being pending the decision of the FTTH/FTTN debate -- as it stands people are just relying on seeing work being done with their own eyes, as in my case.

I had stopped buying games and other media I didn't have the time for after reading this account. It didn't last long. I did note a few books on hoarding after I read that article, though, thanks for reminding me.

That's cool that he/she actually beat their backlog but that post is kind of laden with waaaay too much guilt. I never look at my backlog as if it's a burden or something to be ashamed of, although I've made a lot of the same justifications that the OP did (and many here probably have) when it comes to buying stuff.

"I have no time to play [insert title/s here] but that's so cheap, how can I not buy it?"

I'm just playing this stuff because I bought it and the Star Wars catalogue reminded me I have so many of those games and I haven't touched any of them. That's what happens with a lot of sales these days. I already own a lot of the games and haven't touched them. A general disinterest in a lot of newer titles outside of the occasional 4x game kind of helps when it comes to digging from into my backlog. I'm fairly certain once Civilization: Beyond Earth comes out, this quest to make a dent in my backlog will end but in the meantime, Star Wars!

Grief.exe

The opposite: there was actually a government-led investigation into why Aussie software prices are so ridiculous. Basically, current game prices came into play way back when the AUD was hovering at around USD$0.50 or less, but didn't reduce when the dollar stabilised with a higher value -- in other words, publishers price gouge here because they get away with it. There has been a small downward trend, to a degree, in recent years due to the increasing preference to import (or obtain games via gifting in the case of digital distribution), but we're still paying more than we ought to.

In totally unrelated news, the fibre rollout has begun in my area after some ~21 months of inactivity. If all goes well I should have real internet within a year.

Thanks for the explanation guys. That is a horrible practice.

JaseC

And he still managed to get 2500+ games, maybe there is a thing or two you could learn from him.

She's just deploring the practice.

As I said earlier in the thread, I hope Acti never reduces the Aussie price for MW2 because the fact it's still USD$90 after almost half a decade is hilarious. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom