• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

It is only hypocrisy if it is the exact same people.

Stump says words better

It's not even necessarily hypocrisy if it's the same people; if someone believes something, and then later comes to realize their belief was false and now believes something else, that's not hypocrisy, that's progress.

It also wouldn't be hypocrisy if someone thought 1080p was MUST HAVE but 1440p was irrelevant; that'd just be a diminishing returns argument.

I would say that I have definitely observed individuals who seem to be very myopic with regards to their understanding of things; constantly dismissive of others positions and priorities, but updates their own position as soon as their own conditions change, and doesn't seem to be accountable for their own past positions or able to easily understand why they used to think something or why they changed their mind. ;)

I liked Omerta, and it seems tremendously improved now than when I originally played it.

Maybe it's improved since launch but when I played the game it was easily one of worst games I've wasted time on. Laughably cliche story, broken battles with no tactical depth(which you can all auto-resolve anyway) and in the 8 hours I played it took 7 hours to see a new mission type. Unbelievably repetitive, and simplistic to the point of seeming like a remastered ios game. I was really, really disappointed.

Trejik

Is the Dead Space "trilogy" improved in any way for PC? Lost my copy of 2 and never played 3, thinking about that Amazon Bundle. Hmm...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wait? White Noise Online came to Steam? I haven't played it Steam-wise yet (plan to pick it up), but here are some impressions from the Xbox Live version:

header_292x136.jpg

White Noise Online is a first-person multiplayer survival-horror game that's a clone and spun-off from the Slender-style of games. The game originally released as two Xbox Live Indie games (one for multiplayer, one for single player), and has seen a lot of updates and additions since its release (the Steam version is based off the last big update they did for the game earlier this year).

In White Noise, either you or you and three other people go to various locations to collect radios. There's a slight narrative going on in each level, as each radio sends out a transmission, and in the single player mode (which, while this is called White Noise Online, seems to have been added to the game from the single-player version of the game) you follow a cutscene narrative between stages. It's a nice thought, but honestly the game is a lot more about the multiplayer.

ss_6888aec684e28a8ea749b1c168d7ccf348d8f41f.600x338.jpg

To basically describe White Day would be in simple, "If Slender and Scooby-Doo crossed over." That sounds like a weird thing to say, but it mainly has to do with the characters. They look cartoony, while they collect radios their goals are basically mystery solvers looking for clues (with some ridiculous character bios), and you can play as everyone from a nerdy schoolgirl to an Elvis look-alike. Each character has different stats though, areas where they're weaker and stronger in. For example, some characters can sprint longer, some characters can stand being alone much better (if you stray too far, your sanity starts to deplete before you start having a panic attack), some characters recover from panic attacks quicker, some have more health, some can look at the monster longer and lose less health, some can hear radios louder than other characters, and so on. There's quite a few characters, and there's a pretty fun and rewarding unlock system to get them (notably, all the characters from the previous Xbox Live release that could only be unlocked by owning other games are now regularly unlockable).

As a Slender clone, the gameplay is simple. You walk around, can turn your flashlight on or off (it has batteries that need to recharge), and collect radios (which emit a sound). A monster is chasing you, who will slowly drive you to either panic, try to separate you from friends, or kill you. He teleports around and gets tougher as you get more radios. There's a lot of small twists that come to the formula, but if you've played Slender you know the sort of thing to expect. In Multiplayer you play as the four survivors, no playing as the monster here. Probably my two favorite features multiplayer-wise is the death mode and the results screen. When you die in White Noise Online, you come back as a ghost that the living (and dead) players can see. As a ghost, you can see the whole level brightly lit-up, and can move a lot faster. But of course, you can't interact with anything, and you also can't see the monster. However, you can either scout out for radios, stick with the living players (they'll go insane and into panic mode with no one around them, and apparently a ghost counts as someone), or just relax and explore the level freely. It's a nice touch that makes players still active even after they die. The results screen also provides an amusing map of the level you just did and shows the route that everyone took when they played, where they died, and statistics like how many radios each player picked up, how many times they were attacked by the monster, went into panic mode, the total distance each person walks, survival time, and so on.

The gameplay has difficulties, that mainly change some things about the monster and how many radios there are to pick-up. Doing well in certain stages on certain difficulties unlocks you more things in the game (such as beating a stage on a difficulty, collecting a certain number of radios in the stage, and so on).

ss_c70c23870f8cf4cd0f75aa74599a2348aa9fb9a9.600x338.jpg

I also can add that the stages are very fun and varied. Basically there's three types of stages, and then alterations based on these. There's stages that are big and open, with only certain landmarks to guide you. There's levels in enclosed spaces, with lots of tight corridors and twisting rooms, and there's 'island' stages, where there's multiple areas that you can only reach by certain limited access points, separating parts of the map into different 'islands'. The themes of the stages range from a tropical island, to a snowy forest, to a museum, to a government base, and more. They're all pretty fun.

Overall I'd actually say this game is superior to most other Slender games. The online is well thought-out, fun, and still manages to be scary and tense despite the fact you're playing with other people. That and being able to play with friends in a game like this is a lot of fun. The new mechanics add some interesting twists to survival, and the sort of friendly co-op and also competitiveness to do better than your friends aids to some interesting scenarios. The devs note that if it does well they plan to continue further support in the future for new updates, stages, and characters, so if a multiplayer Slender-type game sounds interesting to you, this is it.

Is the Dead Space "trilogy" improved in any way for PC? Lost my copy of 2 and never played 3, thinking about that Amazon Bundle. Hmm...

I recall Dead Space 1 being a shitty port, but I think 2 was okay. Haven't really bothered with 3.

I play most games at medium/low settings @720p.

I've never made a big deal about graphics, some of my favorite games are over ten years old and I play them regularly.

I finished Darksiders II finally. Apparently my inventory was so full it crashed the game. Glad to have that figured out, not glad that the ending was as lame as promised.

Zafir

Man, X Rebirth's graphical settings make no sense what so ever. Somehow, 2x AA was giving me better performance than having none on. :I

legacyzero

Banned
I guess I should start saving money for the Steam Summer Sale.

I hope they have some kind of cool meta game, like playing games, getting cheevos for a chance to win more games.

Authority

Banned
Previous title

Anima: Ark of Sinners
anima-ark-of-sinners-arte-008.jpg

Current title

Indie RPG Anima: Gate of Memories Is Shaping Up
photo-main.jpg

Trailer

Anima: Gate of Memories is an action RPG with a focus on combat and exploration. The game was successfully funded through a Kickstarter campaign back in January and is currently in the midst of development.

Set in the world of the Anima: Beyond Fantasy franchise, Gate of Memories’ story is written by the folks behind the Beyond Fantasy role-playing game books. It features two playable characters that player can switch between, and is in development for PC,Mac and Linux, with
ignore these peasants; Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 versions
to follow at a later point in time.

As they continue to work on the game, the development team has launched a second Kickstarter campaign for Gate of Memories, stating that they feel a little additional funding would go a long way toward making it better. The goal for the extended Kickstarter is set fairly low at £15,000.

“With the whole basis of the game done, we plan to use these additional funds to design new scenarios, new enemies and Messengers to face, as well as improving the soundtrack and voice effects; ultimately, to make an even better gaming experience,” the team writes.

Should the extended campaign be successful, the game will see an increase in length and story, more skill trees, fully-voiced dialogue and more weapons.

Credits to http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/20/indie-rpg-anima-gate-memories-shaping/#suyM4gafxjHRci5A.99 & https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1188790300/anima-gate-of-memories-0

Speaking of old games I play regularly, I got this for pre-ordering Deus Ex The Fall (yeah I know).

ModBot said:
Instructions for phantomspiker:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Deus Ex GOTY Edition -- MB-EDE56C908F95E4EF - Taken by zeroOman. 4 entrants total.

t1400807688z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow, they did do a huge market update. They even added the oft-asked-for ability to sort the results by price.

giphy.gif

Announcement here

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Anima: Ark of Sinners

Well, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. It's a low quality Wii Ware game.

Siliconera said:
As they continue to work on the game, the development team has launched a second Kickstarter campaign for Gate of Memories, stating that they feel a little additional funding would go a long way toward making it better. The goal for the extended Kickstarter is set fairly low at £15,000.

Yeah...no one should get their hopes up for this.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I love how the jester looks so sad to discover there is a sky (also must be uncomfortable to sit with those spiral things designed on its pants), and how the girl looks so straight-faced despite the fact she's borderline being an exhibitionist.

Miguel81

I was about to bite on the The Chronicles of Riddick sale on Amazon, but then I looked at the comments. Now way José with the DRM issues :(

DocSeuss

I am beyond stressed that I can't find my monitor-cleaning kit. I don't know why. It's such a ridiculous thing, but I am.

Maybe it's improved since launch but when I played the game it was easily one of worst games I've wasted time on. Laughably cliche story, broken battles with no tactical depth(which you can all auto-resolve anyway) and in the 8 hours I played it took 7 hours to see a new mission type. Unbelievably repetitive, and simplistic to the point of seeming like a remastered ios game. I was really, really disappointed.

Oh yeah, the story's not great, the XCOM-type combat is nowhere near as good, and the missions don't have a great deal of variety. The improvements are mostly small, subtle things. I don't know why I enjoyed it. I recognize it's not good, but I enjoyed it all the same.

I finished Darksiders II finally. Apparently my inventory was so full it crashed the game. Glad to have that figured out, not glad that the ending was as lame as promised.

Yeah, there's a fix for that on the Steam community. Just a quick exe patch and boom, it works.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The jester can't hold all his feels. He can't even.

I think Dead Space 2 was the first game I tried out triple buffering on, and it was a night and day difference from the locked 30ps forced vsynch the game uses.

Authority

Banned
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2
5yBeX.jpg

Trailer: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2028731/movie480.webm?t=1369237128
Price: £11.99 not even £12!
So the incredible adventures continue, and Van Helsing, the famous monster hunter returns to save the day again with the help of his ghostly companion, Lady Katarina. In the second part of the unfolding saga that could also be enjoyed independently, you can explore new corners of this unique world and experience the mix of old-school...

Credits to Steam

Game!

ModBot said:
Instructions for bobnowhere:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bridge Constructor -- MB-D140B1F15FC31FD9 - Taken by Sajjaja

Nzyme32

I just came to an interesting realization.

We spent the past 5 years on GAF getting told that frame rate is irrelevant and you can't see the difference between 600p and 1080p from your couch.

Now we have hundred page threads arguing 900p vs 1080p...

The hypocrisy is truly laughable

iF6PqbgFWmW12.gif

I haven't been around for the past 5 years, but if that's accurate, it's hilarious for a start but I'd be interested in hearing their arguments for the change in rational

Is anyone else having trouble uploading screenshots? I keep getting "There was an error uploading 1 screenshots. Steam Cloud my be temporarily unavailable." I've tried new and old screenshots, 1 at a time, more than 1 at a time etc... It says I have 1.98 GB left and I've only uploaded 64 shots.

I searched around, plenty people have had the issue with only a "we're looking into it" from valve.

Decided to make a small chunk in my backlog. Start playing the four Blackwell games I have.

First one: Voice acting kinda stilted, felt way too short, interesting concept though, had fun with it.

Second one: Ugh, prequel, why do you do this after I'm already invested in one character...still, it's okay.

Third one: Whoa, this one's good...it's really good.

Fourth one: Holy shit this is awesome!

Then I realize the fifth one came out less than a month ago and it's still at full price. And the reviews say it's the biggest and best and ends things perfectly? HNNNNNG. Waiting for a price drop has never been this painful. :( Steam, why have you spoiled me so?!

Is anyone else having trouble uploading screenshots? I keep getting "There was an error uploading 1 screenshots. Steam Cloud my be temporarily unavailable." I've tried new and old screenshots, 1 at a time, more than 1 at a time etc... It says I have 1.98 GB left and I've only uploaded 64 shots.

I searched around, plenty people have had the issue with only a "we're looking into it" from valve.
I'm experiencing this too.

Everytime I've had that problem it was because of a game uploading to the cloud, like right as I exit a game while it's still syncronizing my save and I try to upload a screenshot ,it has that same error on the screenshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom