• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Revengance bought.

I WOULD PAY NO LESS FOR THIS MASTERWORK.

Nice way to ease my temptation to get Killer is Dead.

mannerbot

Four Kings is unlike anything else, though, at SL1. I only got up to the second boss of the DLC (
Knight A~
) though before deciding to wait for GFWL to get patched out.

Eh, 4K is just a dps check boss and the bar is pretty low. I know it gives a lot of people fits but it's always been boring to me. It's more interesting on NG+ and beyond since your dps doesn't ever really go up after NG, but yeah... Even at SL1 RTSR + Pyros + Fire Reinforced Club +10 means they just fall over.

And you really gotta get back into the DLC the instant GFWL is removed!

Caerith

Eh, 4K is just a dps check boss and the bar is pretty low. I know it gives a lot of people fits but it's always been boring to me. It's more interesting on NG+ and beyond since your dps doesn't ever really go up after NG, but yeah... Even at SL1 RTSR + Pyros + Fire Reinforced Club +10 means they just fall over.

And you really gotta get back into the DLC the instant GFWL is removed!

Yeah, 4K isn't complicated or anything, but it's fun (I used Havels fatrolling with a 2handed fire handaxe). I'm really looking forward to getting back into things when it's Steamworks.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's a sad day when we have to ask if something is worth 1 buck :(
Usually the question "Is X game worth $1" refers more to the time spent with it than to the monetary cost itself. Or at least that's how I see it. $1 is not much, but paying $1 for a piece of crap isn't probably a good idea, unless you are a collector, in which case you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.

On a different, non-Steam related note, I managed to advance in The Starship Damrey (3DS) just now. I got stuck a long time ago and stopped playing it; turns out I had the right idea about how to progress, but I couldn't find the place where I needed to do it. Gotta love it when games make you go on a pixel hunt, without even telling you what is it you're looking for (fortunately I got lucky and found it without having to look at a guide).

Authority

Banned
Well, judging things by the norm is acceptable when it comes to technical stuff (there needs to be a bar for measuring the technical implementation), but to be honest, a lot of the criticisms leveled at Japanese games these days are at least grounded in reality.

I agree but everyone has to play by the same coin aka AAA or high-profile games. See this for example,

Total War: Rome II

Armed with a new engine, Rome II looks great, plays smoothly, and will be a challenge to both veterans and novices.

On what earth did he see that? When Rome II came out it was a technical mess never mind the fact that Shogun 2 was greatly superior yet it got so many 90 scores my head is spinning.

I would argue that any technical mess in which I define consistent frame drops/screen tearing, bug(s) or many-times-occurring should start at 6 at least. If the game is not a finished product then beta the fuck out of it. No consumer should wait for miracle patches to enjoy a finished product which he paid already for it and was expecting a finished product.

Should the longevity of a game matter in a review? Of course because it is part of the game and it should be stressed not downplayed like "if it is a demo, if it is a prologue it is one of the best", "if you can ignore how short it is considering how many other DLCs charge you more", "You can replay it over 9000 times".

For example for Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

It's staggeringly short and unsatisfying, feeling more like a cash grab than an honest-to-goodness installment in a beloved franchise.

However it should not be counted for the score. How long or how short a game is, it has absolutely nothing to do with scoring because you end up with value vs time and that creates opinion(s). But when you are reviewing it, you should include that. Same thing with DLCs and pre-order editions. That is what a good and complete review is in my eyes. Having the ability to distinguish what should be in the review and what should be in the score.

Most the games by smaller Japanese studios and publishers are pretty low budge and lacking in technical polish. Also, because a lot of these games only sell a few hundred thousand copies, the developers generally don't have an incentive to do revolutionary changes to their gameplay or mechanics.

And here is the juice. If I, as a reader, are informed that this game was created by a low budget/small team or it is their first game, I would be more informed and more acceptable but the reviewer must want me to be informed and acceptable. If he wants to do justice to the game. In that respect if it is a low-budget/small game that is a technical mess he should mention it in his review and he should include it in his score but he must let me acknowledge the limitations and I will judge how justified it is or not. Now if we take a look at most or some grand franchises COD, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Monster Hunter, Dragonball, Mortal Kombat, World of Warcraft and we put them in chronological order and we break down its series you would see a linear development right?

I am probably pigeonholing but my point is that every genre can only do as much (lets not even debate about FPS). And the more limited space you have aka tactical-turn based RPGs the more limitations apply to do something "else. What is left in practice are enhancements. That's it. The best thing about a genre is how diversified it is. For instance MMOrpgs - You got shit ton; hybrid, tab-targeting combat system, action combat instance, FPS and third-person. But that did not happen within a day or two; the genre diversified because people were open to change. And of course quantity does not mean quality and the market will fix that in time.

And theme is extremely important no matter how generic it is. Think of it this way - how many games you would not have played and are grateful if they didn't exist because they were not better than the norm? Take me for example; if Witcher, Dishonored, Gungnir, Metro, Unchained Baldes, Phantasy Star Portable, Mass Effect, I would have never left my comfort zone of "Final Fantasy or nothing" or even experiment with other genres.

You see where I am getting at?

This is a good example of a good review.

For Demon Gaze,

The biggest hurdle to enjoying the game is simply your tastes for (or tolerance of) copious displays of fanservice.

That said, the commenter had a valid point about a lot of game reviews not talking about non-story content, but for a lot of people, the story content is important when it comes to making a purchase, so covering the ways it might offend people/make them uncomfortable is just as important as going over the game mechanics.

But writing mostly about the story makes you more of a seller rather than a reviewer because you intentionally omit other factors to make me buy or not buy a game and that is not your job or should never be your job. Don't you agree?

Edit: I over did it again.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Pretty much my thoughts on Air Control: wtf?

Caerith

So... what's so bad about the Steam version of Riddick? Has TAGES, which is bad because of activation limits, but this implementation automatically renews activations, so doesn't that balance out?

mrgone

Hey, I just found out that there's a definitive version of Jamestown (Jamestown Plus) with extra content being developed! Woo!

For the PS4! Ok, cool!

With the devs currently being undecided about bringing that content to the PC. What.

Goddamnit. I really do hope they offer it up as DLC. Jamestown's easily one of the best shmups on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there anything against bumping your trades on TF2Outpost as frequently as the option comes up?

No. You'll notice that the option only appears once every half hour. It's not like Steam Trades where the option re-appears as soon as you refresh the thread, even though the rules state that threads can be closed for excessive bumping (just... you know... do what TF2 Outpost does and set a timer).

derExperte

Payday 2 is getting smaller: http://steamcommunity.com/games/218620/announcements/detail/1715055999942680956

This is a beta build [...] It should make the game much smaller than it currently is. There are no other features that we would like to have tested in this build.

Please note that the beta size is 10,5 gigabytes. You will probably have to re-download some files.

Huh, I might reinstall the game if the constant patches aren't killing my harddrive anymore.

Turfster

So... what's so bad about the Steam version of Riddick? Has TAGES, which is bad because of activation limits, but this implementation automatically renews activations, so doesn't that balance out?

TAGES kills windows installs and sacrifices them to the gods of "fuck you, consumer that paid for our game"

derExperte

Figured as much. If someone can help me understand cloud saving on origin that would be great. I recently installed a fresh copy of windows and so no longer have any local saves. I stupidly assumed I can load my save from the cloud, NSF HP just loads a new save, I see no option within the app to load the cloud save.

If the game supports cloud saves it looks like this:

2013-03-03_19-29-57.png

Don't know if Hot Pursuit does. Or it could have been deactivated.

Got MGSR from Amazon. Idk, maybe I should have waited for the Summer Sale, but $14.99 seemed like a good discount and it's been #1 on my Wishlist for a while

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a way for me to see what my #100 and #200 games were? Maybe counting in the transfer history?

Account history -> licences + subscriptions -> happy counting. ;) You'll want to cross-reference any pre-purchase and bundle subs against their SteamDB listings so you can factor in additional game apps.

Caerith

EA has been using it as its default DRM from 2009 to the introduction of Origin.

Edit: Securom before and in between.
EA's constancy is commendable.

Account history -> licences + subscriptions -> happy counting. ;) You'll want to cross-reference any pre-purchase and bundle subs against their SteamDB listings so you can factor in additional game apps.

I pasted mine into a spreadsheet, then realized Steam used to have a ton of bundles.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rising won't go bellow 50% in the summer sale anyway

zkylon

zkylewd
playing some dead state beta, game's clunky as hell but man the potential's through the roof and i'm liking it a lot already

i hope they really polish up all the interface quirks, the combat may not be anything particularly exciting but the overall context in which it happens (dam x npc got bit so now i gotta get antibiotics for him everyday) + shelter management is a terrific combination already

Tellaerin

I've literally played three games from a Japanese SRPG franchise that came out in the span of a decade and they all played exactly the same except for a few added mechanics here and there and some roster/unit changes.

To be fair, I could say the same about Bethesda's open-world RPG's, yet I don't typically see mainstream reviewers ding them points for that. It seems like it's okay for things not to change much between installments... as long as the reviewer happens to like the formula in question. If they don't, though, then suddenly your series is suffering from "stagnation" and "a lack of innovation". The goal posts really do shift depending on the reviewer and whatever it is they personally like.

Grief.exe

Take this with a grain of salt, but after I installed Riddick onto my laptop the computer went to shit quite quickly.

I was having everything from registry errors and software issues to hardware errors.

Tages is a piece of shit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, I burst out laughing at the "unfortunately it fell off my pirate ship" post in that thread, amazing way to go as he was doomed anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom