• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I've been really enjoying my DS4 on PC. The touchpad is a game changer. I'm trying to see if I want to use the touchpad buttons as replacements for Option and Share, or maybe screenshot + Mumble talk button. Actually, I can put the Option/Share on the touchpad, and replace the buttons for Screenshot + Mumble. Sheeiit. So many options.

Currently using an offshoot of an offshoot called DS4Windows J2K Build that gives you a ton of remapping options. It's an offshoot of DS4Windows, so use these install instructions if you haven't set it up yet.

Will it mess up the install files from DS4tool?

Probably a silly question but people here seem to really like killer is dead, how come it got such mediocre reviews?

This can be answered by the following:

Sweet.

My argument borderlines to a theory so take it as you please. West Journalism has always been against the core taste of the Asian Market for many years now. Examples include grind, sexual content, odd (for the Western standards) visuals, combat, story, plot and so on and so forth. Games like Aion, Drakengard 3, Killer Dead, Shadow Warrior, Blade & Soul (potentially) and alike with strong sexual content-and-violence will often look down upon because it is not the GTA-style-they-love.

And I'd also add the importance of mechanics. DocSeuss has a post somewhere where he analysed it a bit more, but Western games are much more simulation-based, think Grand Theft Auto and The Elder Scrolls, whereas Japanese games are much dependent on mechanics and controls being unique, think Devil May Cry or Resident Evil 6, where controls are very complex but allow for so much freedom and response.

rtcn63

Could just be that the game was... mediocre. I've played and finished other Suda51 games, and most seemed half-baked in a lot areas. Enough to hinder enjoyment.

Authority

Banned
guys you wanna me dead with all talk about Drakengard on steam? Do you really want it on your conscience?

Would definitely buy it if it came to steam.

Need I say more?

tumblr_n63z24g63y1t6xtc8o1_r1_500.gif

Check out this conference as well,

Making Weird Games for Weird People

Available for the PlayStation 3 via Square Enix starting today, Drakengard 3 is billed as an “action RPG" , but I don’t think that’s accurate. It’s pretty much a straightforward action gamein which you spend the vast majority of your time hacking and slashing enemies with furious, bloody button combos.

I don't even want to comment on it.

For a balanced review - Hardcore Gamer

Caerith

Games like Dishonored and the new Wolfenstien make me wish someone would make a title that is full out absurd like Bulletstorm was, but just for stealth kills. Even giant robots you could be able to sneak up behind and do a spectacular stealth kill no matter how improbable it is or ridiculous.

Kingdoms of Amalur did this really well. Each enemy type has multiple stealth kill animations, and they're all over the top. The only catch is you have to use daggers, but they're the best weapon in the game anyway.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've been playing Tomb Raider Anniversary and I'm loving it. Great design in the levels, just beat St. Francis Folly. Never played the original TR so I can't compare, but this one's great.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My cousin came home today and he gave me a lesson in Dark Souls. He started a new game, and in 2 hours he managed to kill
the gargoyles
, grab a good weapon and shield and upgrade the former, and pick up some powerful rings. In my own playthroughs (2 attempts; 10 hours between both) I couldn't do even half of all this, which shows how much I suck at the game.

I am still amazed at what can be done here, regarding both fighting and exploration. I'd like to learn to play it well, but that's impossible.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's really not. It doesn't take super skills or anything; patience, planning and observation / understanding enemies move sets take you really far in DS

mannerbot

My cousin came home today and he gave me a lesson in Dark Souls. He started a new game, and in 2 hours he managed to kill
the gargoyles
, grab a good weapon and shield and upgrade the former, and pick up some powerful rings. In my own playthroughs (2 attempts; 10 hours between both) I couldn't do even half of all this, which shows how much I suck at the game.

I am still amazed at what can be done here, regarding both fighting and exploration. I'd like to learn to play it well, but that's impossible.

Well... in 2 hours a speedrunner can almost beat the game twice, once all bosses and once any%. :p

Only thing holding you back is your attitude!

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, those Caribbean beats are infectious!

Goes really well with the whole theme of the game and artstyle. Just ... joyous, have a huge smile on my face while playing. Heck, if it wasn't for getting kicked off, I could just sit back and enjoy ruling this tiny village with super slow progress the whole evening.

r3n4ud

Goes really well with the whole theme of the game and artstyle. Just ... joyous, have a huge smile on my face while playing. Heck, if it wasn't for getting kicked off, I could just sit back and enjoy ruling this tiny village with super slow progress the whole evening.

And supposedly Tropico 5 has the worse soundtrack in the series. I have no opinion since I never played a Tropico before, but I find the soundtrack quite delightful.

Lomax

the gargoyles

Eh, to me, that's why I lost interest in it, it was way too much about memorization and every mistake resulted in a lot of what increasingly felt like tedious repetition. I just lost interest in spending 2 hours doing what felt like 10 minutes worth of content.

DocSeuss

And supposedly Tropico 5 has the worse soundtrack in the series. I have no opinion since I never played a Tropico before, but I find the soundtrack quite delightful.

It's definitely not as great as 3 or 4. That said, when I went to 4 from 3, all I wanted was to go back to 3. When I went back to 3 to finally beat it, I found I actually wanted to go back to 4. So maybe it's that.

Authority

Banned
It already did, like two days ago.

And it's not like the game mode was eliminated, it was just retired from the playlist. You could still get CTF matches in Variety Pack.

Anyways, it seems like the publicity CTF got from being removed from the playlist did wonders because I haven't had much trouble finding CTF matches now.

As for Final Fantasy, the recent releases of FF games on Steam makes me think Squeenix plans to release every main FF game on Steam in the long run. It doesn't seem like porting FF 1 to 6 should be too difficult, although I have my doubts about the viability of X, XII and XIII on PC. I guess those could be a pain in the ass to port.

I am on the same page as you. It seems more than wishful thinking and more like a strong possibility. Well I do think FFX will test the water for future coming FFX+ titles and I personally will buy it again if that happens (first time bought it for PS2). Won't replay it again but I will have it as party of my collection.

Until then,

ukAwyJv.jpg

My argument borderlines to a theory so take it as you please. West Journalism has always been against the core taste of the Asian Market for many years now. Examples include grind, sexual content, odd (for the Western standards) visuals, combat, story, plot and so on and so forth. Games like Aion, Drakengard 3, Killer Dead, Shadow Warrior, Blade & Soul (potentially) and alike with strong sexual content-and-violence will often look down upon because it is not the GTA-style-they-love.
Honesty, I think the reason Western games media has soured on Japanese games is because the people in western games media are growing older, while Japanese games still mostly aim at teenagers. There's certainly an element of individual taste involved as well, in terms of visuals, how far sexual content goes before being a problem, and gameplay, but stuff like grind and tons of fanservice is way more tolerable as a teenager than as an adult with limited time and after being bombarded with sexual content to the point of apathy. Also, because Japanese games generally target teenagers, they often feature teenage characters, which makes the fanservice elements extremely off-putting.

It doesn't help that due to Japan's lack of long term planning for building the reputation of their media during the anime boom of the late 90s/early 2000s, there's a deeply entrenched public sentiment that Japanese media is fucked up, creepy, etc... And when tons of Japanese games play into those stereotypes, it's not surprising that western games media would get alienated from Japanese games.

Skyzard

Banned

It's definitely not as great as 3 or 4. That said, when I went to 4 from 3, all I wanted was to go back to 3. When I went back to 3 to finally beat it, I found I actually wanted to go back to 4. So maybe it's that.

Same, not heard the other soundtracks before myself but really enjoying this one so far. Will have a look for the previous ones if these start to sound too familiar, thanks.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's really not. It doesn't take super skills or anything; patience, planning and observation / understanding enemies move sets take you really far in DS
But I saw him dodging attacks at the very last second, with skills that surpass mine, and killing enemies that I never could (those black knights, for example). That's something that I don't know how to learn.

Eh, to me, that's why I lost interest in it, it was way too much about memorization and every mistake resulted in a lot of what increasingly felt like tedious repetition. I just lost interest in spending 2 hours doing what felt like 10 minutes worth of content.
This is what I told him too. Whenever I died at a boss I had to respawn at the nearest bonfire and kill the mobs again, at which point I was already damaged and couldn't fight the boss with full life and all the estus flasks. I don't have the patience nor skills needed to advance in this game.

mannerbot

But I saw him dodging attacks at the very last second, with skills that surpass mine, and killing enemies that I never could (those black knights, for example). That's something that I don't know how to learn.

Dodging attacks at the last second by rolling into them isn't some incredible feat of skill, it's the proper (and easiest) way to do it. It's how you ensure that you pass through enemy attacks while you still have the invincibility frames from the start of a roll.

molnizzle

Is there an "Install DSfix for dummies" guide somewhere? I picked up Dark Souls since it was on sale, launched it, disabled AA, updated GFWL etc. After unzipping the DSfix zip the game won't launch anymore.

I thought this was supossed to be easy. :-(

mannerbot

Is there an "Install DSfix for dummies" guide somewhere? I picked up Dark Souls since it was on sale, launched it, disabled AA, updated GFWL etc. After unzipping the DSfix zip the game won't launch anymore.

Don't see how there could be a guide for unzipping and editing a text file, lol. Did you try deleting the dsfix files to see if that was the issue? Might not really be related at all and just have to verify integrity of game cache. It doesn't sound like you edited dsfix.ini to change the settings to what you want, but I don't see how that could make the game not launch. You should check if it actually is a dsfix issue first.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone tried this Collapse game? just noticed its 75% off, seems like the sort of russian jank I can get behind

Also Cloudbuilt is 50%, tempting

Nabs

Don't see how there could be a guide for unzipping and editing a text file, lol. Did you try deleting the dsfix files to see if that was the issue? Might not really be related at all and just have to verify integrity of game cache. It doesn't sound like you edited dsfix.ini to change the settings to what you want, but I don't see how that could make the game not launch. You should check if it actually is a dsfix issue first.

Yep. It could just be your average GFWL issue. Check that first.

Anteater

I think the readme should be self explanatory, i don't have dark souls on pc tho, but i remember the deadly premonition fix, the readme and the steps were pretty simple, durante usually explains his shit

I've been playing Tomb Raider Anniversary and I'm loving it. Great design in the levels, just beat St. Francis Folly. Never played the original TR so I can't compare, but this one's great.
It's a really under appreciated game I think. Came out at a time when everyone was thinking about the newer HD generation. I had some difficulty getting used to the grapple hook and I disliked the occasional QTE but really solid game. Was budget priced at launch, too.

Last time I installed it I had to do a lot of troubleshooting since other programs were interfering with it (Afterburner and VSfilter). Had to find the cause by elimination.

Also, verify the integrity of the game cache of the game on Steam and just delete DSFix and try again, maybe you did something wrong.

Tenrius

It seems that In Verbis Virtus devs removed the free demo when they put the game on Steam. What a dickish move! I'd like to play the demo before I buy the game.

Caerith

Dark Souls isn't about memorization, though: it's about learning. All the enemies in the game are bound by the same rules the player is, just without the freedom of a player's intelligence. It's a lot fairer than, say, Street Fighter.

And now I'm listening to Tropico 3's (and 4's) soundtrack again. They're so good.
I loved Tropico 4's soundtrack. Both songs of it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Dodging attacks at the last second by rolling into them isn't some incredible feat of skill, it's the proper (and easiest) way to do it. It's how you ensure that you pass through enemy attacks while you still have the invincibility frames from the start of a roll.
Yeah I know, but I still can't do that myself, lol. It's probably a matter of practice, but I get frustrated easily.

Caerith

Yeah I know, but I still can't do that myself, lol. It's probably a matter of practice, but I get frustrated easily.
The best place to practice is in front of the church. There are two guys on one side and one on the other. Practice circling -> backstabbing, practice parrying, practice rolling, then run back to the bonfire near the blacksmith to reset them. It's a good place to learn to manage three enemies at once and really get your positioning down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom