• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

Alright Gaf, help me out. I don't have much cash right now but can probably swing 1 game. Should I pick up Transistor, Watch_Dogs, or Wolfenstein?

Wait for Watch Dogs reviews.

I sense that it will have more longevity than the others if you're short on cash and want something to last you a while.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Alright Gaf, help me out. I don't have much cash right now but can probably swing 1 game. Should I pick up Transistor, Watch_Dogs, or Wolfenstein?

Since you don't have much money at the moement, just save money by going with Transistor since it's supposed to be really great and is the cheapest of the three.

mannerbot

The best place to practice is in front of the church. There are two guys on one side and one on the other. Practice circling -> backstabbing, practice parrying, practice rolling, then run back to the bonfire near the blacksmith to reset them. It's a good place to learn to manage three enemies at once and really get your positioning down.

Well, the most important thing to learn about managing packs of enemies is simply that you shouldn't pull them in packs. Isolate enemies instead of running in yelling YOLO and the game gets a lot easier!

Since you don't have much money at the moement, just save money by going with Transistor since it's supposed to be really great and is the cheapest of the three.

That was my thought as well. I did really love Bastion, even if it took me a while to get into it. And that soundtrack still blows my mind.

Any other opinions (W_Ds, Transistor, or Wolf?)?

Puhhh....
That are 3 different games.
I would say Transistor just because it's a different game. :)

Btw., i got my validation for the forum today. :D
I readed already a lot, but now i go active here. :)
I would like to see, if some guys add me on Steam. :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The best place to practice is in front of the church. There are two guys on one side and one on the other. Practice circling -> backstabbing, practice parrying, practice rolling, then run back to the bonfire near the blacksmith to reset them. It's a good place to learn to manage three enemies at once and really get your positioning down.
That's exactly where I am right now. I should do this, thanks.

molnizzle

Last time I installed it I had to do a lot of troubleshooting since other programs were interfering with it (Afterburner and VSfilter). Had to find the cause by elimination.

Also, verify the integrity of the game cache of the game on Steam and just delete DSFix and try again, maybe you did something wrong.

Ah, Afterburner interferes with DSfix? That might be my problem then.

If that doesn't work I'm probably just gonna give up on the game though, I have no tolerance for tinkery shit like this.

If that doesn't work I'm probably just gonna give up on the game though, I have no tolerance for tinkery shit like this.

I believe it had to do with the "enable compatibility with modified 3D runtime libraries" option. Or just disable the program completely to make sure.

Try to get it running, it's worth it.

Caerith

Well, the most important thing to learn about managing packs of enemies is simply that you shouldn't pull them in packs. Isolate enemies instead of running in yelling YOLO and the game gets a lot easier!
Although running through packs of enemies is a useful skill. Dunno how many times I tried Four Kings ie sprinted through New Londo will hell at my heels.

That's exactly where I am right now. I should do this, thanks.
It's my go-to spot for learning the ins and outs of a weapon. You can also move on to the guys inside the church-- they're faster and will parry you, but if you get used to fighting them you'll have no trouble with anyone else in the game.

Grief.exe

Transistor

There are some amazing early access games that would give some longevity while staying well below your price range. Check out The Forest, H1Z1, and The Stomping Land.

For what its worth, I loved Transistor and I have no doubt that it will be in my top five for the year.

Uc8l1FM.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz

- doesn't like to tinker with settings
- installs an application aimed at tinkering with settings and overclocking videocards

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Transistor

There are some amazing early access games as well that would give some longevity while staying well below your price range. Check out The Forest, H1Z1, and The Stomping Land.

For what its worth, I loved Transistor and I have no doubt that it will be in my top five for the year.

Uc8l1FM.png
Just joined the club!

ib1h4zF0rdZtze.PNG

Loved it. Like Bastion, the mechanics really shine in the optional challenges, and when the game throws a lot at you after you have a varied arsenal at your disposal. The freedom of customization Transistor offers is delicious, and until the end I was experimenting with different styles just because it was fun. After it all clicked there wasn't a second while I wasn't having a blast. Plus, once again, perfectly balanced challenge, fantastic visuals, outstanding soundtrack, good writing and spot-on execution.

(I'm going to craft the badge, I only need two cards but I think I'll wait for the first sale so their price can crash completely.)

if6FBSPq6NZnW.png

irW2wFKCQFySr.gif
Supergiant Games.

Sorry if this post sounds like hyperbole, but with Bastion and now Transistor it's official that they hit all the right notes as far as my gameplay and audiovisual sensibilities go. Day 1 with whatever they release next.

Grief.exe

(I'm going to craft the badge, I only need two cards but I think I'll wait for the first sale so their price can crash completely.)

I sold the cards for 35 cents a pop day one and I am planning on doing the same thing. Need that price crash.

Transistor

There are some amazing early access games as well that would give some longevity while staying well below your price range. Check out The Forest, H1Z1, and The Stomping Land.

Uc8l1FM.png

Oh wow, The Forest looks rad. On my radar now, but it's not out til the 30th =(

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
That was my thought as well. I did really love Bastion, even if it took me a while to get into it. And that soundtrack still blows my mind.

Any other opinions (W_Ds, Transistor, or Wolf?)?

I loved Wolfenstein, easily my third favorite FPS game of the past 9 years (behind the two Metro games). Watch_Dogs has been receiving a lot of shit lately, mainly due to Ubisoft's disastrous marketing but now that people are actually getting to play it, I am hearing a lot of good words about it, with much praise centered towards the Dark Souls-esque multiplayer. Maybe you should wait for it to come out and then decide if it's worth a purchase.

Can't speak for Transistor. But if it's anything like Bastion, I'd wait for a really big discount

Watch_Dogs has been receiving a lot of shit lately, mainly due to Ubisoft's disastrous marketing but now that people are actually getting to play it, I am hearing a lot of good words about it

I'd wait for the full hate > love > hate again cycle to play out with Watch_Dogs before making an investment. Going to be hard to get a good read on it for a while I feel.

Grief.exe

I'd wait for the full hate > love > hate again cycle to play out with Watch_Dogs before making an investment. Going to be hard to get a good read on it for a while I feel.

You are also going to have to be on the lookout for those making and extreme post-purchase rationalization.

Many people have bought a $400-$500 console and are looking to justify that investment. Watch_Dogs may be just that ticket.

You are also going to have to be on the lookout for those making and extreme post-purchase rationalization.

Many people have bought a $400-$500 console and are looking to justify that investment. Watch_Dogs may be just that ticket.

Pretty much what I'm getting at. You will also have just as many people talking up the PC version for much the same reasons.

Which doesn't mean it will not be good... but yeah, we'll see.

Authority

Banned
Honesty, I think the reason Western games media has soured on Japanese games is because the people in western games media are growing older, while Japanese games still mostly aim at teenagers. There's certainly an element of individual taste involved as well, in terms of visuals, how far sexual content goes before being a problem, and gameplay, but stuff like grind and tons of fanservice is way more tolerable as a teenager than as an adult with limited time and after being bombarded with sexual content to the point of apathy. Also, because Japanese games generally target teenagers, they often feature teenage characters, which makes the fanservice elements extremely off-putting.

It doesn't help that due to Japan's lack of long term planning for building the reputation of their media during the anime boom of the late 90s/early 2000s, there's a deeply entrenched public sentiment that Japanese media is fucked up, creepy, etc... And when tons of Japanese games play into those stereotypes, it's not surprising that western games media would get alienated from Japanese games.

Great insight by the way! Didn't think of it that way. Some reviews I have been reading this year and the previous one appear to have some sort of anti-Japanese agenda. I cannot put it down to words but they always try to shoehorn everything into "World of Warcraft or nothing, Call of Duty or nothing, Monster Hunter or nothing"; norm versus everything. A game must be reviewed on its own first, against its prequel second and thirdly against the norm. If we are going to start with the norm first and the norm dictating the review then we might as well write one sentence and get it over with.

Some examples to elaborate my point,

Toukiden: The Age of Demons
Demon Gaze
Soul Sacrifice
Drakengard 3

"Repetitive, Monster Hunter Clone, Nothing new, Nothing innovative, Too much Violence, Too much Sex, Too much swearing".

And here is a great post,

There are things i like about Polygon and things i hate. This review falls under another thing to hate. The game is rated 18 here in Europe. I expect some gore, sex or swearing just like i would any film of this rating and yet this reviewer notes that this puts her off the game to begin with?

Maybe Polygon should give games with any kind of vaguely adult content to someone who doesn’t get offended so easily? The review suffered because of this reviewer’s quite apparent strange ( in my opinion) hang-ups (giggling at dick knights? But getting offended by someone talking about menstruation and erections?)

I’m interested in getting the game and because there is no physical game version of this in Europe and thus i won’t get trade value on it i wanted an in depth review discussing game mechanics, music, game length, replay value, stats and equipment info etc. This reviewer barely touched on most of those points and instead provided paragraphs of needless information about their personal taste and what offends them.

Every time I am trying really hard to justify that most reviews are written from professional reviewers so they know better, but every time I read these types of criticism makes me feel like I am back in kindergarten. In my eyes, a review, a professional review must follow the scientific formula, as close as possible and not come off as opinion-based article to that extend. Clarity and transparency are non-negotiable and that means informing the audience whether you are experienced with the game (let us not go into some Souls ones) or not as well as other common-sense stuff. Being a professional means being an expert and as an expert you are suppose to conduct information and findings in a manner that takes all relevant factors into account and most importantly let the audience decide. In an ideal world I would prefer to have an extended coverage breaking it down to gameplay, soundtrack, combat, ect. I want to be informed as a reader as much as possible and not read something that that predetermines how positive or negative this review will be.

And before I forget, do not put people to review everything and anything. Each reviewer should in theory review the genre he is experienced with.

Anyway, enough off-topic and pointless rambling from me for one day.

Fuu

I'm looking forward to Watch Dogs, but I have to admit it's just because I managed to grab it during that absurd price error on the BR store ($6). I was curious about the game because I love messing around in open world games and tune out with my own background music while completing stuff, but it wasn't really blipping on my radar before aside from a "will check when it's dirty cheap". As of now I'm not really expecting it to be something special but I do think it will be fun (I also like AC and recently wasted many hours 100%-ing FC3 and JC2, so take that as you will).

dani_dc

But I saw him dodging attacks at the very last second, with skills that surpass mine, and killing enemies that I never could (those black knights, for example). That's something that I don't know how to learn.

Honestly, at worst you can always build a character that depends on having a good shield, you'll still need to dodge at points of the game, but a good shield can make you through most regular enemies.

Authority

Banned
This can be answered by the following:

And I'd also add the importance of mechanics. DocSeuss has a post somewhere where he analysed it a bit more, but Western games are much more simulation-based, think Grand Theft Auto and The Elder Scrolls, whereas Japanese games are much dependent on mechanics and controls being unique, think Devil May Cry or Resident Evil 6, where controls are very complex but allow for so much freedom and response.

Would definitely love to read it (if you can find the post/thread) but thanks for your input. If you had to put Yakuza somewhere where would it be?

Lomax

Dark Souls isn't about memorization, though: it's about learning. All the enemies in the game are bound by the same rules the player is, just without the freedom of a player's intelligence. It's a lot fairer than, say, Street Fighter.


True, but there's a fine line between memorization and learning and that mostly comes down to if I feel like the process is fun and intuitive or just repetitive. I'm not saying Dark Souls is unfair, just that it didn't hook into any of the addictive parts of my brain and just ended up feeling tedious.

Fuu

True, but there's a fine line between memorization and learning and that mostly comes down to if I feel like the process is fun and intuitive or just repetitive. I'm not saying Dark Souls is unfair, just that it didn't hook into any of the addictive parts of my brain and just ended up feeling tedious.
I kind of agree with this, I enjoy DaS a lot for what it is but, even though I can play it for hours, after I'm done with a session it takes me days to feel like getting back into it because it doesn't "hook" me per se in the traditional sense. I'm at
Ornstein and Smough
, I haven't tried the fight more than a couple times, but I also heard from more than one person that the game goes a bit downhill after
Anor Londo
. I still mean to beat it one day though.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Just started play my free copy of Afterfall Insanity for the cards. Holy shit this game is amazing in so many bad ways. Who the fuck did the animations? The characters walk like they are 90 years old. :lol But I am having fun axing everything. So thats cool.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not really. You believe Air Control is worth a $1?

I believe any game that involved some manor of coding and work is worth the same as a expresso or pack of crisps, yes

But it was more of a joking comment on where have come with sales, no need to get angry about it :p

In harsher news. Total Biscuit has cancer :/ surprised there wasn't a thread about it. No matter your views on him, that royally sucks. Fuck cancer (cancer terrifies me)

MUnited83

For you.
I believe any game that involved some manor of coding and work is worth the same as a expresso or pack of crisps, yes

But it was more of a joking comment on where have come with sales, no need to get angry about it :p

In harsher news. Total Biscuit has cancer :/ surprised there wasn't a thread about it. No matter your views on him, that royally sucks. Fuck cancer (cancer terrifies me)

There's a thread about it.

Caerith

I sold the cards for 35 cents a pop day one and I am planning on doing the same thing. Need that price crash.
If the summer sale is like last year's, card prices are going to spike when the coupons you get for crafting are replaced with mystery/event cards. I'm holding off my crafting until then, at least.

Fair enough, if a game doesn't click with you it doesn't click with you. It took a long time for Demon's Souls to click with me-- I died probably a hundred times in 1-1-- but when it did click, when I got over that hurdle, it changed everything. It stopped being 31 flavors of painful tedium and became yummy ice cream.

Dark Souls was easier to get into, but only 'cause I had Demon's Souls behind me.

I kind of agree with this, I enjoy DaS a lot for what it is but, even though I can play it for hours, after I'm done with a session it takes me days to feel like getting back into it because it doesn't "hook" me per se in the traditional sense. I'm at
Ornstein and Smough
, I haven't tried the fight more than a couple times, but I also heard from more than one person that the game goes a bit downhill after
Anor Londo
. I still mean to beat it one day though.

The best fight in the game (
Four Kings
) is after that point.

Caerith

It might assuage your fears to know that there's a cure, albeit a highly risky one that's still in early testing stages. This is probably the best link explaining it.

Disagree, everything after Anor Londo in the base game is faceroll. The best content in the whole game is the DLC though so I do agree that the best fight is after that point!

Four Kings is unlike anything else, though, at SL1. I only got up to the second boss of the DLC (
Knight A~
) though before deciding to wait for GFWL to get patched out.

Great insight by the way! Didn't think of it that way. Some reviews I have been reading this year and the previous one appear to have some sort of anti-Japanese agenda. I cannot put it down to words but they always try to shoehorn everything into "World of Warcraft or nothing, Call of Duty or nothing, Monster Hunter or nothing"; norm versus everything. A game must be reviewed on its own first, against its prequel second and thirdly against the norm. If we are going to start with the norm first and the norm dictating the review then we might as well write one sentence and get it over with.

"Repetitive, Monster Hunter Clone, Nothing new, Nothing innovative, Too much Violence, Too much Sex, Too much swearing".
Well, judging things by the norm is acceptable when it comes to technical stuff (there needs to be a bar for measuring the technical implementation), but to be honest, a lot of the criticisms leveled at Japanese games these days are at least grounded in reality. Most the games by smaller Japanese studios and publishers are pretty low budge and lacking in technical polish. Also, because a lot of these games only sell a few hundred thousand copies, the developers generally don't have an incentive to do revolutionary changes to their gameplay or mechanics. I've literally played three games from a Japanese SRPG franchise that came out in the span of a decade and they all played exactly the same except for a few added mechanics here and there and some roster/unit changes.

That said, the commenter had a valid point about a lot of game reviews not talking about non-story content, but for a lot of people, the story content is important when it comes to making a purchase, so covering the ways it might offend people/make them uncomfortable is just as important as going over the game mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom