• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeD

Little irritating that there are two different versions of it which overlap 80%, but no way to get everything from both without just making two separate purchases.

the least they could do is discount this as well: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEV8IWM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

although you can't really blame amazon for being confused about how these packs are set up

on another note: maybe i'm nitpicking here, but it's pretty lame that you can't install a game on one pc while playing a game on another (two pcs setup for streaming i mean)

Volimar

Day One Garry's Incident looks interesting, but the reviews really shit on it.

Bold statement. What makes Garry's Incident so bad?

I really enjoyed this game and it was really fun too....
Are Wild Games Studios gone now?
Ok, this game was a pile of ♥♥♥♥. It was a pile of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ kebab forged from the very depths of the sewers. This game also stamps on those who try to talk ♥♥♥♥ about it hence my clever review disguise, you see?

I loaded up the game to be immediately greeted by a menu system that could only have been imagined by a man who'd have his testicles mounted on his wall, peering at them and polishing them at the weekends. I also noticed that this game also doesn't even have its own icon as it was still displaying the UDK icon for the game.
Ok, let's crank up the graphics. This game still uses the default variable names in menus - bAllowHighTextureMaterials...REALLY

I then started the game to find myself in a sacrificial chamber with the world's most oblivious temple priest of all time. I escaped from ropes that weren't even tied to anything to begin fighting him with a machete which I must of pulled out of my ♥♥♥♥. I killed him and there was no death animation, he just fell over dead and vanished into thin air.

I then started cutting down some lights and pushing buttons with my incredible arms that allow me to push buttons from a distance of 2 metres. Then for explicable reason, the temple starts to crumble with broken rock meshes. I ran out of there and entered a cutscene which contained no sound at all.

I followed a girl to a village and had to do a stupid fetch quest for animal meat. I went down the dirt path and saw a panther which activated possibly one of the worst QTE's I have ever come across in my entire life. I killed it and stole his meat. I brought the meat back and then stopped giving two ♥♥♥♥♥ about the missions.

I continued the way I went before when I came across a pyramid. I climbed and there were many mirrors obviously placed for some kind of puzzle. I couldn't be asked and went back down the stairs again. Or atleast I would have if I hadn't died from fall damage by walking down the stairs. This showed me the death camera which would look like what I imagine a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ fly's vision to be like. It was here I couldn't stand it any longer and quit.

Buy this game when it is super-cheap. I am 100% serious, you have to see this ♥♥♥♥! It's so apalling this game appeared to be more of a comedy!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Little irritating that there are two different versions of it which overlap 80%, but no way to get everything from both without just making two separate purchases.

Get the 48-game one for $5 and wait for Sega Genesis Pack 5 to go on sale for 50% off (3.75), which it has been before on Steam. Total price, 8.75 for all of them. The constituent games in the Genesis Pack 5 add up to $30, so at 3.75, that's an 87.5% discount versus the base price. That's assuming they don't put Genesis Pack 5 on a deeper discount than 50% at any point.

Whereas if you buy the 50-game one which includes Genesis Pack 5, but not the standalones, even three games at 50% off will get you above the 3.75. I'm not sure how many games don't overlap but it's gotta be more than 5.

Edit: Based on my Amazon library, the 48-pack is the 4 Classics sets and 8 standalone games, so at 50% off each of the stand-alone games you'd be looking at $12 on top of the Amazon pack, substantially more than at 50% off for Genesis Pack 5.

I feel sorry for people with Day One Garry's Incident in their library. I would consider Bad Rats to be perfectly acceptable.

I would love to have Garry Incident in my library,but not sure if I would wanna spend 1,50$ on that lol

Bad rats was just... how much? 60 cent?

Lain

Started playing Circuits from that IndieGala bundle and I'm already finding the gameplay annoying after 6 minutes with it.
It has a clean look, the music you have to put together is nice but the whole waiting aspect to listen to sounds to pick the right one to put in its spot is kinda... boring.
I'm gonna play it some more to see how it unfolds as the levels become harder but the initial impression wasn't as good as I thought, as I also had the game in my wishlist on Steam.

iIkVnvbPPsgCR.gif

What movie/show is this from?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So I finished up my first playthrough of Always Sometimes Monsters. I don't want to make a definitive judgement on it quite yet since I want to play through it a few more times to try different choices and explore it more. As of now though, I've got to say that it was enjoyable enough if you plan to play through it once. The achievements are all story progression based, so it's really easy to get all of them in one playthrough, by the way. Also pretty sure I got the bad end, the next sentence is only vague spoilers for now that won't ruin anything. It's hard to describe how I feel about the ending I got since I feel sort of satisfied with it but let down by it at the same time, especially with how some of the events go and what happens to some of the characters.

If you're interested in the game, pick it up some time, especially if it goes on sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I skimmed through the list of stuff I have added to my Steam account and I have finished everything I have added since early December (whenever Zeno Clash 2 was hell cheap), not counting a couple double dips. Feels damn good.

Grief.exe

Metal Gear Rising getting a Mac port just seems so strange to me.

They used the Steam hardware reports to justify not supporting resolutions greater than 1080p, so how did they not come to the same conclusion for Mac and Linux?

SeZMehK

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alchemy Mysteries Prague Legends on Despura #2 -- MB-D020A54A491B8384 - Taken by Deques
Alchemy Mysteries Prague Legends on Despura -- MB-715F8925B9B7E532 - Taken by pupo
Blue Rose on Despura #2 -- MB-10D8257968D05FB8 - Taken by Sammichu
Blue Rose on Despura -- MB-6A13286CAB74A236 - Taken by Myshkin

These are for Despura.

Tellaerin

Metal Gear Rising getting a Mac port just seems so strange to me.

They used the Steam hardware reports to justify not supporting resolutions greater than 1080p, so how did they not come to the same conclusion for Mac and Linux?

Porting to Linux I can understand as a Valve/Steambox thing, especially if Valve reached out to them about it. As for Macs, I'm not certain. Are Macs particularly popular in Japan or something, I wonder?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just tried T.E.C. 3001, and it's really cool. It has a great sense of speed, controls are responsive (though at first I couldn't get the hang of how the robot turned) and the music is really good. The backgrounds remind me of Nitronic Rush, while dodging between obstacles at full speed reminded me of Race the Sun.

A couple of levels have some different mechanics, like changing free movement for on-rails platforming with 3 different lanes you can switch between, or forcing you to run in a straight line while taking advantage of some special platforms that make you accelerate.

So far, I'm digging it a lot. Can't say if it'll get boring or repetitive later on, but it has a very promising start.

I feel sorry for people with Day One Garry's Incident in their library. I would consider Bad Rats to be perfectly acceptable.
I own Revelations 2012 and now Garry's Incident too, but Bad Rats is even below my level. I refuse to get that low.

Lomax

On the fifth and tenth runs you get a pitty bonus level. You can walk straight to the exit on those and get the no loot achievement pretty easy.

I'm a little tempted to wipe my save just to do this as getting them the legit way seems way out of my reach and I've already had my consolation runs.

Porting to Linux I can understand as a Valve/Steambox thing, especially if Valve reached out to them about it. As for Macs, I'm not certain. Are Macs particularly popular in Japan or something, I wonder?

Apple is a pretty popular brand in Japan. My wife's family and a large number of people I know all use iPhones and I have a number of friends who use MacBooks. But most Japanese PC gamers (there are some! Just not that many...) I know use Windows.

If they have a tv commercial, it'd be cool to see Raiden slice up the Apple logo.

Lain

After 45 minutes played Circuits still feels like a boring game with some nice tunes. At least it got a bit more difficult going forward, with having to set loopers, more sound choices etc.

denx

Just a reminder.

ModBot said:
Instructions for denx:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

SEGA Genesis Classics Series 4 -- MB-74213C707803D212

t1401159042z1.png

They're popular with journalism students in university and with people who like to waste money.

lol

They are a bit
read: very
overpriced
If only the laptops have better graphics cards, otherwise they are the best laptops money can buy.

Macbook Pro, Pro, Prooooo~ Come on, you named them "Pro" and only have integrated graphics cards installed, the fuck is this shit?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So in the last week or so I finished Wolfenstein so I thought I'd write up my thoughts to help summer sale planning/price-point purchase decision making.

What I Liked:
  • The shooting feels great. Every gun has a really punchy feel, like a bullets are really coming out of the end of this thing feel. Most guns create copious amounts of blood and/or gore to further that effect. Dual-wielding anything and everything is hilarious, but useful.
  • The characters and story were surprisingly satisfying. I always felt interested to find out where the story would take me next and I was genuinely worried (as much as one can be with a fictional story) about the well-being of the main cast. I thought they explored some heavier themes nicely as well.
  • The art direction was really strong. A future ruled by Nazi's lead to some really cool high-tech 60's era level technology that feels really creative. The style is well-defined and consistent throughout the game.
  • The general attitude of the game: killin' Nazis in a grindhouse manner, inner monologuing, and twisted alternate futures. It just feels right with this license.
What I Accepted:
  • The boss design was pretty weak. There are only two in the game, but they didn't feel all that exciting to fight. The final boss had some really cliche design-work put into it too.
  • The stealth was a bit iffy at times. I think making it forgiving was the right decision, but having a couple levels focus on it completely was a bit weird. It is a fun bonus that falls apart most when put front and center.
What I Disliked:
  • IdTech 5. There is some really strong art direction in the game and I feel like the engine limitations genuinely held it back. Megatexturing is cool is a rather open game like Rage, but it's just not worth it here.
  • Some of the perk challenges required stupidly specific scenarios that relied on the AI rather than the player. That or stupidly specific enemy setups. It felt like poor playtesting. Most of these were in the demolition category if you were wondering.
Conclusion:
I had a lot of fun playing the game. It was a creative place to take the series and I really hope we get another entry from Machine Games. They nailed pretty much everything I want from a Wolfenstein game. So what's the final say? If you dig shooters, this is well worth your time. If you dig the Wolfenstein series, this is well worth your time. If you have 20$ and this game reaches that price point, I totally think you should buy it.

If only the laptops have better graphics cards, otherwise they are the best laptops money can buy.

Macbook Pro, Pro, Prooooo~ Come on, you named them "Pro" and only have integrated graphics cards installed, the fuck is this shit?

Hey! My 2011 MacBook Pro has a 256Mb Radeon...

I can still play a ton of great games: most indie stuff, XCOM, Civ V, and Warband

huh, I was just reading a book that mentions CC, weird coincidence. What makes this different from other wargames?

The Close Combat series is real-time in that you can speed up or slow down the game. Playing from a top-down the game units are not abstract, so a fireteam is actually 4 soldiers and a squad is 8 actual individual units, etc. What's really neat is that each soldier has it's own health, ammo & morale/psychological status. So you can have individual wounded soldiers, soldiers that revert to hand to hand combat when out of ammo, soldiers that cower in fear & refuse orders, and even soldiers that turn heroic and storm a bunker without you ordering them to do so.

Tanks take into consideration which side they are hit on as far as armor penetration. One sniper can hold down a whole squad or ambush an enemy officer lowering morale. Artillery is effective in softening up targets and smoke is used to conceal movements. The close combat engine has been used to train officers & soldiers in the military. Think of it as a topdown Arma.

Close Combat 2 is good but really CC3: Russian Front, CC4 & CC5 is where they really shine because of the mods. The Vietnam mod and the Pacific mod are top notch.http://www.closecombatseries.net here's a good resource for info about the series and mods and the wiki page does a better job of explaining what's so special http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Combat_%28series%29.

I hope the new 3d engine is extremely moddable but I'm not too sure what Slitherine has in it's plans.

Thanks for the write up Stallion.

[*]The boss design was pretty weak. There are only two in the game, but they didn't feel all that exciting to fight.

This bit really gets to me. At what point did shooters decide that bosses were not something gamers wanted to fight? If I had my way, every single level would have some sort of boss fight, ideally some that are great and memorable.

Without them, it is just shooting the same guys over and over. Bosses break things up, they give you an excuse to use different weapons or tactics and they help make levels memorable. But for the longest time fps designers especially seem to do without them.

I don't know, am I alone in this one?

This bit really gets to me. At what point did shooters decide that bosses were not something gamers wanted to fight? If I had my way, every single level would have some sort of boss fight, ideally some that are great and memorable.

Without them it is just shooting the same guys over and over. Bosses break things up, they give you an excuse to use different weapons or tactics, they help make levels memorable.

Halo, probably. I remember finishing the warthog run at the end of it thinking back to how it had no bosses and found it pretty refreshing, just its pure combat loop from start to finish.

Probably for the best, as boss fights aren't something shooters really do right most of the time if ever. Circle strafing and blasting into a bullet sponge for minutes isn't the most interesting thing, and modernizing that by mixing in a bunch of scripted sequences and QTEs ain't better.

Hey! My 2011 MacBook Pro has a 256Mb Radeon...

I can still play a ton of great games: most indie stuff, XCOM, Civ V, and Warband
I was talking about the latest MBPs, but when the MBPs have real graphics cards, they are usually mid-range and only available to the most expensive models.

denx

Thanks for the write up Stallion.

Without them, it is just shooting the same guys over and over. Bosses break things up, they give you an excuse to use different weapons or tactics and they help make levels memorable. But for the longest time fps designers especially seem to do without them.

I'm not the biggest fan of bosses, especially on first person shooters since they usually are just ridiculous and boring bullet sponges. I vastly prefer well set encounters with normal but challenging mooks over bosses.

Thinking about it, the only boss battle I can remember that I actually like in a FPS is the final battle against the hunters and striders on HL2:EP2, and I don't know if that counts as a boss battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom