• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Scribblenauts Unmasked is on sale for $5. I liked the original, loved Super Scribblenauts, and found Unlimited really charming. I'm not sure if I'll be all scribbled out, and looking at the achievements I'm not sure if I have the requisite knowledge of DC Comics. (There's an alternate version of Martian Manhunter now?)

Anyone who's played it want to provide their thoughts as to whether it's worth a fiver?

You don't need to know much about DC, the game offers a very helpful encyclopedia that lists all the DC characters and their powers and lets you summon them. My sister loves Scribblenauts but I was unsure if she'd like the game since she's not into comics, she ended up preferring it over the other Scribblenauts games since it was way more challenging and rewarding

having just finished metro 2033, the only real complaints I have is that NPCs are repeated too often and look a bit rough, that the levels are small and load a bit more often than i would like, and that it's a bit umoptimized. Redux looks like it'll tackle most of those problems but i kinda now wished I had held off and played that version of 2033 instead. I guess I'll wait for Last Light redux to come out before I bite on that purchase.

Anteater

There are some console (no not PS360 :p) commands out there that allow you to disable certain UI elements and post process options. I'm no my phone right now so can't really have a look for them but I'm sure a quick Google search might bring something up.

I'll have a look, thanks!

You mean whenever it's released and if it's actually good enough to warrant even a fraction of the hype. Which I don't quite understand as we all knew it was coming.

Yeah of course I'm not gonna go and buy one until it's released. But it's a Souls game and if there is one series that deserves blind trust and hype it's that one, even if DS2 isn't all it could've been.

Authority

Banned
Buyer beware. - Includes PS3/PS4/PC Video Comparison and Watch_Dogs glitches

Watch Dogs is a hot mess on PC, stay away for now

e PC version of Watch Dogs should be the best version of the game. Gaming PCs tend to be more expensive than gaming consoles, but that's the point: If you have the means to throw money at hardware you should be rewarded with the best, most graphically rich version of the game.

This is not the case with Watch Dogs.

BAD CONTROLS, POORLY OPTIMIZED

I preloaded the Steam version of the game and was ready to play through the whole thing on my gaming PC. I ran into the expected problems with Uplay at launch, but the overall performance of the game was the largest disappointment once I was able to log in at all.

I have a very able gaming PC, if you're curious about what's in the office these days:
  • Intel Core i7 2700k processor
  • Patriot 8GB 1600Mhz PXD38G1600LLK Memory
  • EVGA GTX580 1536MB 015-P3-150-AR
  • Patriot 120GB Wildfire SATAIII SSD
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
It's not the beast it once was, but it's not a bad gaming rig at all. However, the first problem with Watch Dogs on the PC isn't the graphical performance, but the keyboard and mouse controls. The mouse support feels like you're moving through a thick soup, and there's no option in the game to adjust anything but your sensitivity.

You have to get a bit creative here, so if you're playing on the PC, go to C:\Users\[your username]\Documents\My Games\Watch_Dogs\ and open the GamerProfile.xml file with a text editor. Move "UseMouseSmooth" from 1 to 0. Set "Smoothness" from 1 to 0.

Setting these values should remove the mouse issues from the game, but the mouse and keyboard controls still felt wonky to me, so more tweaking may be needed. There is no reason these options shouldn't be available without having to edit .xml files, but here we are.

This isn't the last issue you'll bump into, however.

"Perhaps more disappointing are the issues with PC performance," Digital Foundry wrote in its own look at the different versions of the game. "We noted a lot of comments online about stutter and can confirm that this is an issue, even with powerful gaming hardware. It appears that streaming of assets is the major culprit as adjusting texture quality has much more of an effect than dialing back graphical presets."

Screen tearing is also an issue, making vsync all but mandatory unless you want a blazing headache. And Reddit has a lengthy thread with PC gamers complaining about the power of hardware it takes to get decent performance out of the game.

If you have a mid-range system, or even a high-end system, in many cases, you're going to struggle to get the kind of performance you expect from similar open-world games. This is just my experience running the game with an Nvidia GPU; other staffers with ATI cards reported crashes and blue screens when they tried to play the game.

The Steam listing for the game is likewise filled with people complaining about the game's performance, and I've received feedback from other readers having similar problems.

Ubisoft has stated in the past that it would like to repair its relationship with PC gamers, but these games need to be stable at launch. They need to give us the options we need to get the games working smoothly, without having to go into text files to manually edit settings. Ubisoft has taken positive steps to begin treating PC gamers better, but launches such as this don't help.

I've finally settled on the PS4 version of the game, just to take advantage of the graphical advantage the PS4 holds over the Xbox One. I'd love to play the game on the most powerful gaming device in my home, but sadly the PC version of the game is a mess as of this writing.

Credits to Polygon

Extra Information - Watch dogs is horribly optimized! via Reddit, "Bad PC Optimization"

Dr Dogg

I need to see a little more, but yeah...this will make me upgrade to a ps4. Looks great so far.

just waiting for the eventual downgrade :(

Hehehehe. Until you see someone or more over a bunch of people live with controlers in their hands playing it just assume it's not actually a game at this moment in time. Internal concept video ≠ finished computer game.

vg260

Wish there was some sort of W_D PC benchmark. I've got the PS4 version for rent now, and dunno if I should just play through it now or wait until I can find a cheap nvidia voucher on PC. I feel like in this case you're not losing much by going PS4.

I dunno about most of you guys but whenever a new Ubisoft game comes out on PC the first thought I have is "how unoptimized is this shit going to be?"

the second is "can't wait to get it for $5-7.50 in about 9 months."

Dr Dogg

A GTX 580 is pretty capable in todays market? Well I never knew that :/

I know if I buy a PS4 for Project Beast it will just end up accumulating dust. I will buy one anyways though.

And heres me thinking your the Steam Shill. ;)

Saying that I popped home for lunch and actually blew dust off the WiiU and it looks like Sonic & All-Stars Transformed has some serious competition in Mario Kart 8.

Dec

I dunno about most of you guys but whenever a new Ubisoft game comes out on PC the first thought I have is "how unoptimized is this shit going to be?"

Completely ignored here. I don't want to use uPlay and I just don't enjoy a lot of their games.

Grief.exe

And heres me thinking your the Steam Shill. ;)

Ahem

Transistor isn't a PS4 exclusive, it is avaible on PC as well.

And that is how I got the title, 'Steam Shill.'

The Forest and The Stomping Land
Also Mario Kart
all on the same day. Too.much.awesomeness.

I thought Stomping Land is tomorrow. I don't have a Wii U, but the last week of May through the first week of June are insane for PC releases.

Completely ignored here. I don't want to use uPlay and I just don't enjoy a lot of their games.

Agreed.
I do say I will pick them up when they get cheap enough, but I haven't yet.

Uzzy

I guess it's the same case with Bayonetta 2. Project Beast would never been made it it was not for Sony funding it.

And I'd be fine with that, had From Software not just put out two multiplatform games, that were critical and commercial successes.

Authority

Banned
Wish there was some sort of W_D PC benchmark. I've got the PS4 version for rent now, and dunno if I should just play through it now or wait until I can find a cheap nvidia voucher on PC. I feel like in this case you're not losing much by going PS4.

If you get the PC one you can always go here - Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread for help. From what I understood given my limited knowledge, it is hit or miss so the safest route is going for PS4 if you really want to play it.

Alternatively you can wait for a patch for PC.

Jawmuncher

Was thinking about this the other day and I realized I could care less if I missed out on Ubi titles.
the only things I have bought are the tayman titles around when they released. Also plan to grab child of light so I guess only ubiart is what I really like from them.

HoosTrax

I'm eligible for booster packs on almost 300 games, and I've received 5 since the trading cards started, and I'm level 25. It just depends on your level and number of eligible games, but I'd say the average user will probably see a booster pack once every 3 months on average.
I get them pretty frequently -- every week or two at level 58 and ~800 games total in my library.

Knurek

Was thinking about this the other day and I realized I could care less if I missed out on Ubi titles.
the only things I have bought are the tayman titles around when they released. Also plan to grab child of light so I guess only ubiart is what I really like from them.

You all people are seriously forgetting about Might & Magic X: Legacy.

I do the same thing. What I dont understand is when games, like Watch Dogs, have poor performance there are those that say, "Buy a PS4 and the game if you want a smooth experience." Just makes me lol. It is not only more expensive, but it aint smooth on the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom