• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

JK2 + JA. I don't think Prototype is worth playing at all (play 2) and Republic Commando was fun for what it was, but it's still baby's first rainbow six with more training wheels than you thought possible and shooting that lacks meaningful feedback a lot of the time.

Well Prototype, though with an original story and character, is essentially Venom The Game from the makers of Hulk Ultimate Destruction. It boils down to a hack and slash, super jumping, air gliding, open city platforming or brawler title where it's perfectly fine to just mess around with and cause as much destruction as you want for as long as you are capable of doing so.

I might be in the minority on this, but I found Republic Commando to be a thoroughly disappointing game. [...] I do totally recommend Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.

I would suggest just getting the Jedi Knight collection though, as it has every game in that series for the same price as getting option #2.
It sounds like I won't be missing much if I skip Republic Commando. It's a shame, since that's one of those games I remember being interested in back when it was first announced. I had kind of hoped that it would be good. Ah well. At least that helps narrow things down.

Prototype definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. (Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is still one of my favorite superhero games, so the namedrop caught my attention.) Skipping straight to the second one is sadly not an option for me at the moment, but both games are on my radar now.

Thanks for the heads up on the Jedi Knight collection, Khronico! I wouldn't've caught that at all if you hadn't mentioned it.

So it looks like it's a choice between Prototype or the Jedi Knight collection, then. Guess it all comes down to whether I feel like running around as a Jedi or a dark superhero (antihero?) I'll have to ponder that a bit and then decide. Thanks, guys! : )

maneil99

It sounds like I won't be missing much if I skip Republic Commando. It's a shame, since that's one of those games I remember being interested in back when it was first announced. I had kind of hoped that it would be good. Ah well. At least that helps narrow things down.

Prototype definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. (Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is still one of my favorite superhero games, so the namedrop caught my attention.) Skipping straight to the second one is sadly not an option for me at the moment, but both games are on my radar now.

Thanks for the heads up on the Jedi Knight collection, Khronico! I wouldn't've caught that at all if you hadn't mentioned it.

So it looks like it's a choice between Prototype or the Jedi Knight collection, then. Guess it all comes down to whether I feel like running around as a Jedi or a dark superhero (antihero?) I'll have to ponder that a bit and then decide. Thanks, guys! : )

Prototype pretty much requires a 360 pad, also you need a decent system as it runs and looks like poop. Great game though. I feel like you can get either of the jedi games and get the experience for now. I would go republic commando + jedi knight II. Academy has better MP but not SP. Its a safer bet you'd enjoy republic commando or knight II then buying two games of the same series. Plus you might get burnt out as the gameplay is very similiar. Get those republic command and JKII and wait for then next steam sale if you enjoy them

Turfster

Be aware that Prototype was (still is?) a shit PC port.
If it works for you, it works fine. If it doesn't, you have no sound at all and it glitches graphically and memleaks.
It was so bad they had to lock down their official forums because more and more complaints about it kept rolling in.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I had no idea about any such issues with Prototype. My impressions of it are fully the PS3 version.

DocSeuss

Prototype pretty much requires a 360 pad, also you need a decent system as it runs and looks like poop. Great game though. I feel like you can get either of the jedi games and get the experience for now. I would go republic commando + jedi knight II. Academy has better MP but not SP. Its a safer bet you'd enjoy republic commando or knight II then buying two games of the same series. Plus you might get burnt out as the gameplay is very similiar. Get those republic command and JKII and wait for then next steam sale if you enjoy them

I had no problems with it back in the day, when I was rocking a GTX 260 with 4GB RAM on an AMD... uh... I dunno. But it was a DDR2 thing. So, uh, your post is leaving me scratching my head.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What about the issue of it having a shit main character + mission design.

I noted I didn't care for the story and I did refer to it as a kill sandbox title full of things that I enjoyed doing in game such as a beat-em-up missions, killing side-missions, platforming, just running around the city, and so forth. The mission designs, even with the annoying sneak into bases, never bothered me too much because I quickly got past them and I didn't play the game for them.

Character wise? Standard generic uninteresting open city character as far as I was concerned. I mostly played with a podcast going rather than listening to it.

Before anyone says "well you don't get much if you don't really play it for it's main point". I still had plenty of hours and enjoyment and things to do and I still can play it just for running around the city from time to time to pass the time with fun.

Turfster

I always thought you get cards for doing certain things in the games. You get the cards for just 'playing' them?
Would have idled a lot more if I knew that.

Steam just needs to think it's running (see my earlier steam_appid thing).
It can even be a "this program has crashed on startup" dialog window as long as you don't close it.
The default period seems to be 20 minutes per card, but there are games that have longer cycles, up to an hour or more I think.
If you try to run games in parallel, the times go up, so don't do that.

DocSeuss

Look, here's the deal: Prototype is awesome. And fun. And everyone should play it. You blow stuff up, the story's side missions actually have something interesting to say, but you can ignore them and, again, blow stuff up.

Or slice them with your giant slicey thing. That's fun.

Prototype 2 is simultaneously better and worse, and has this cutscene.

I always thought you get cards for doing certain things in the games. You get the cards for just 'playing' them?
Would have idled a lot more if I knew that.

AHAHHA no you just idle, man.

Pachimari

Ugh, can't decide between Call of Duty 2, Modern Warfare 1 or Modern Warfare 2. World at War is out of the question now, and it seems more people are playing MW2 online?

I'll strictly be buying Call of Duty for online multiplayer.

Turfster

Ugh, can't decide between Call of Duty 2, Modern Warfare 1 or Modern Warfare 2. World at War is out of the question now, and it seems more people are playing MW2 online?

Isn't the PC online multi for those games pretty much dead?
I guess MW2 got a peak of 6000 people today, but is currently hanging around 1199, and that's with the publisher weekend. Probably going to decline sharply.

Is the Shadowrun DLC required to be able to save anytime? I only played a little bit of vanilla and thinking about starting again. Is the DLC worth it at 9.99? I might wait for the Summer Sales.

Pachimari

But but but... I sold Call of Duty: Ghost for PS4, because I wanted to play Call of Duty on my new PC instead. =/

I guess 1100 would be fine with me, as I mostly just play Team Deathmatch.

Lomax

Is the Shadowrun DLC required to be able to save anytime? I only played a little bit of vanilla and thinking about starting again. Is the DLC worth it at 9.99? I might wait for the Summer Sales.

They added the save anywhere to the base game functionality, you don't need the DLC. Seems likely Dragonfall will be a bit cheaper by the summer sale but by all accounts it's better than the original campaign.

MUnited83

For you.
Isn't the PC online multi for those games pretty much dead?
I guess MW2 got a peak of 6000 people today, but is currently hanging around 1199, and that's with the publisher weekend. Probably going to decline sharply.

You guys really have to stop using steam statistics on games that were not steamworks on release. Call of Duty 2 still has plenty of players, and CoD 4 has easily 10 000 players everyday.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Isn't that most ubi games these days? Seems hard to avoid

I was referring to uPlay-uPlay games, not Steam-uPlay games, but I also try to avoid the latter. I've been playing AC on consoles and I skipped Rayman Legends and Child of Light so far mostly because of the uPlay nonsense. *shrugs* It's Ubisoft's loss, not mine. If I want to play Rayman Legends I'll pick it up used for consoles. I think the only PC Steam-uPlay game I've ever played was Prince of Persia: the Forgotten Sands... which I played on a throwaway uPlay account because I couldn't manage to recover my console uPlay account at the time. I regret it.

I should also take the time to note that uPlay does not support 2-factor authentication, has a maximum password length of 16, doesn't play ball with symbols properly, and has been hacked several times. Trust these people with your financial details, definitely.

Let me check what I've played via uPlay... *logs in and is forced to choose a repulsive 3D avatar, picks some sort of hobbit woman wearing pink sweat pants with a dark blue hoodie with the word uplay in black text not properly perspective-mapped onto the shirt... wait, why am I mandated to have an Avatar?* Yep, all console stuff.

8uGfG7q.png

They added the save anywhere to the base game functionality, you don't need the DLC. Seems likely Dragonfall will be a bit cheaper by the summer sale but by all accounts it's better than the original campaign.

Ok, glad to hear it. I'll still wait to buy the DLC. I see some high rated mods I can play around with before I play the DLC.

Miguel81

Is the Splinter Cell Blacklist: High Power Pack a booster pack? I purchased the standard Blacklist and Homeland Pack, but I'm not sure about this one.

Seagoon

I started playing Carrier Command: Gaea Mission after picking it up in a bundle some time ago. I don't have a nostalgic connection to Carrier Command outside of playing around with it on my Amiga many years ago.

The opening mission is a FPS that to be honest, must be the worst way to introduce players to the world. There is no jump button, you get one weapon and there is one enemy type that takes one shot to kill. The level design (if you can call it that) is pretty basic and uninspired with chest high walls, debris blocking the path and I lost count of how many elevators or biometric doors I had navigate through.

Once you are past the first mission, the game really opens up and the real fun begins. Effectively you are in charge of the titular Carrier and it's various support vehicles. You can research upgrades, manage repairs and build new vehicles as you hop between islands.

The first few missions only allow you access to the APC like Walrus, but later missions introduce the Manta flying vehicles. I'm hoping the FPS sections are minimal or non existent from here on out.

I'm playing through the campaign at the moment, and for the most part, it's been fun. There's something satisfying about traversing an unexplored island, leaving deep trails in the ground behind you in the Walrus as you watch the in game weather turn to shit. The Walrus is affected by the ground it drives over, with some islands offering swampy terrain that really pushes your vehicle's handling to the limits.

The AI of your units can be pretty frustrating, as the ai controlled Walrus will amble along painfully slowly, occasionally stopping to turn around on the spot before continuing on. I find myself manually controlling things. As far as I can tell there are only two unit types which is a shame, although new weapons and capabilities can be added to the units.

I don't know if I would recommend buying this game on its own, outside of a bundle. The story and characters are mostly soulless but so far at least I have found it a great way to kill an evening.

Grief.exe

If you are going for multiplayer, then you want either Black Ops II or MW1.

MW1 still has a massive fan base and I think many of them are off Steam so it's harder to track.

Momentary

Banned
And I am done with Dark Souls 2. Game was fantastic, but, DS1 was the better game. Bosses and environments in DS1 were much better designed. There's not a single boss fight in this game that wowed me. Hopefully the next iteration of the series is a huge step forward in terms of boss fight design. It's still an amazing game overall. Definitely worth what I paid for it. Really hope what ever From Software has in store next comes to Steam.

Also, I can't help but think that From Software or CDPR could do a super story driven Berserk game with actual violence and way quicker action every time I play this game. People always say "this is what "Berserk" would be like." ..... No son, it's not. Guts would be dancing circles are these slow ass enemies. And he definitely doesn't swing an Ultra Greatsword that slow either. Damn, sometimes I wish I had the power and money to get the license and AAA studio to commission a game like this. I hate playing a Souls game because every time I do, I think about this.

Branduil

My brother keeps having problems trying to login to Steam on my computer. It says it can't connect to the network/whatever, which makes zero sense because my account logs in fine and he can login on a different computer.

And I am done with Dark Souls 2. Game was fantastic, but, DS1 was the better game. Bosses and environments in DS1 were much better designed. There's not a single boss fight in this game that wowed me. Hopefully the next iteration of the series is a huge step forward in terms of boss fight design. It's still and amazing game overall. Definitely worth what I paid for it. Really hope what ever From Software has in store next comes to Steam.
Definitely agree with this. Not a bad game at all, but the bosses weren't really unique. Mostly
humanoids or had similar patterns.

Grief.exe

I was referring to uPlay-uPlay games, not Steam-uPlay games, but I also try to avoid the latter. I've been playing AC on consoles and I skipped Rayman Legends and Child of Light so far mostly because of the uPlay nonsense. *shrugs* It's Ubisoft's loss, not mine. If I want to play Rayman Legends I'll pick it up used for consoles. I think the only PC Steam-uPlay game I've ever played was Prince of Persia: the Forgotten Sands... which I played on a throwaway uPlay account because I couldn't manage to recover my console uPlay account at the time. I regret it.

I should also take the time to note that uPlay does not support 2-factor authentication, has a maximum password length of 16, doesn't play ball with symbols properly, and has been hacked several times. Trust these people with your financial details, definitely.

Let me check what I've played via uPlay... *logs in and is forced to choose a repulsive 3D avatar, picks some sort of hobbit woman wearing pink sweat pants with a dark blue hoodie with the word uplay in black text not properly perspective-mapped onto the shirt... wait, why am I mandated to have an Avatar?* Yep, all console stuff.

8uGfG7q.png

Can't even make this shit up. Just gets worse and worse.

And I am done with Dark Souls 2. Game was fantastic, but, DS1 was the better game. Bosses and environments in DS1 were much better designed. There's not a single boss fight in this game that wowed me. Hopefully the next iteration of the series is a huge step forward in terms of boss fight design. It's still and amazing game overall. Definitely worth what I paid for it. Really hope what ever From Software has in store next comes to Steam.

Sounds like From is working with Sony on their next project, but you can be assured that Dark Souls III will come to Steam.

Levyne

Banned
Definitely agree with this. Not a bad game at all, but the bosses weren't really unique. Mostly

I had the same complaint! Well, complaint is too strong a word, but you know what I mean.

I posted some quick and dirty impressions in a steam review if anyone who is friends with me cares to read.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Child of Light is beautiful, so beautiful. I think the writing is fantastic, and... Yeah, it's amazing. Haven't finished it yet, but it's already giving me all the feels (for the lack of a better expression). So glad I bought it, Uplay and day-one DLC be damned.

Guys.

There are games with cards that I still have on my badges page that I don't care to play.

Help me.
Don't play them? Idle them, or forget they exist? Not much we can do, man.

Demon General: Ok troops, remember in battle you need to do 3 attacks in a row.
Demon Troop: Couldn't we like, attack more than that or mix it up?
Demon General: NO 3 TIMES!

ibv1xCx2kS0ZES.PNG

My hot uplay avatar.

In any case, Uplay doesn't really bother me and it's worth dealing it with to get the benefits of playing their games on the PC. Still, it eats saves so make sure to back up your stuff. My 30 hour plus Black Flag save ;-;

So if Blacklist is $4.62 on Gamersgate, can we expect a similar price on Steam? I'm tempted to get it now, but I'd prefer to have it on Steam and not download Uplay

So I don't really buy games from Steam but I have $50 in my Steam Wallet. Anyone want me to buy them a game then give me Paypal in return? I'll give a 10% discount off the Steam price.

I had the same complaint! Well, complaint is too strong a word, but you know what I mean.

I posted some quick and dirty impressions in a steam review if anyone who is friends with me cares to read.
Just read the review(just a heads up, i don't think reviews are blocked just to friends). Yeah, pretty much agree with you on everything. Way too many little tips or easy ways to do stuff on the game(the example you gave, or just summoning someone). Liked your writing style :p

Mysteries of the Sith seems kind of, I dunno, ghetto. They got rid of the live-action FMV's, which were cheesy but at least well done, and replaced them with in-game cinematics that aren't exactly great. The sound quality of the voice overs is particularly awful. It sounds like the recorded everything at one guys desk with whatever piece of crap headset and mic combo they had lying around. It doesn't even sound like they got the same voice actor for Kyle Katarn.

Oh good. Another chance to share my Uplay Nightmare being. He represents what I think of Uplay. Sandals, shorts, and the color and consistancy of a Cheeto, on a journey from bag, to staleness.

Friends don't let friends Uplay. My creation stands as a warning to all those that say "Yo HAWX 2 is only a buck on Uplay. this seems like a good idea.". Don't do it.

Don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom