• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Um, guys?

Do you guys think Outlast will be on sale for 75% in the near future? I was going top buy it this morning, but my fortnightly payment didn't come through like it should have, and I now have no money until possibly the end of the week. Of course, that means I miss the GamersGate sale on the game, among other things. Boohoo, and all that.

However, I did just get my Full Bore and Ku: Shroud Of The Morrigan keys off Desura, so they should be enough to be going on with. But after being stung badly by Daylight being a bit shit, both gameplay and performance-wise (I'm just thankful that I didn't pay full price for it), I was looking forward to a nice bit of survival horror to tide me over the next week or so.

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for DreadOut. Elastic skirts aside, that game looks cool.

Highly likely that it will get such a discount on the summer sale

NEO0MJ

At first: "Games are cheap! I'm saving so much money!"
But soon enough: "Games are cheap! I'm spending all my money!" :p

Yeah, you're gonna have to learn to resist the temptation of buying cheap games. Not buying anything from the activision and star wars sale was so hard.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow... seems like buying Payday 2 is like buying a F2P shooter.

You have to pay for good sniper scopes.

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/gagesniperpack/

Im speechless really... i want my money back.
the whole game is disgustingly designed as a f2p game, it's an eternal grind and while i had a lot of fun during beta and shortly after release, they just keep making dlc shit while fixing none of the issues (sometimes making them worse with changes then rolling them back... wtf?)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Um, guys?

Do you guys think Outlast will be on sale for 75% in the near future? I was going top buy it this morning, but my fortnightly payment didn't come through like it should have, and I now have no money until possibly the end of the week. Of course, that means I miss the GamersGate sale on the game, among other things. Boohoo, and all that.

However, I did just get my Full Bore and Ku: Shroud Of The Morrigan keys off Desura, so they should be enough to be going on with. But after being stung badly by Daylight being a bit shit, both gameplay and performance-wise (I'm just thankful that I didn't pay full price for it), I was looking forward to a nice bit of survival horror to tide me over the next week or so.

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for DreadOut. Elastic skirts aside, that game looks cool.

The developers said on their Twitter there will be sales on Outlast base game for the DLC on multiple sites throughout the week, so I think you'll be golden.

>Looking forward to DreadOut too.

Tizoc

carlton-dance-o.gif

My foil finally sold, just a few more cards to sell and I'll have $8 to use on Tesla Effect

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, you're gonna have to learn to resist the temptation of buying cheap games. Not buying anything from the activision and star wars sale was so hard.

It's unavoidable during the big sales, but I tend to get by fairly well by only really paying attention to games on my wishlist going on sale, and keeping that wishlist fairly light.

Dusk Golem

Also as the horror enthusiast I want to say this month is amazing for me. Daylight was disappointing to me (will write-up about it in just a sec), but I'm not too bothered with the Outlast DLC today, DreadOut next week, and The Forest the week after that. And Claire is supposed to be releasing this month as well (Early Access). And Early Access for Darkwood. AND there's a major update coming this month for Damned which adds a new monster, a new stage, and sanity effects.

Good month for me~

Dambrosi

Banned
Wow... seems like buying Payday 2 is like buying a F2P shooter.

You have to pay for good sniper scopes.

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/gagesniperpack/

Im speechless really... i want my money back.
No wonder they gave it away for free on PS+ so soon after release. It really is disgusting.

Yeah... good luck with that one.
...it's really bad, isn't it? I was thinking it looked really bad.

The developers said on their Twitter there will be sales on Outlast base game for the DLC on multiple sites throughout the week, so I think you'll be golden.

>Looking forward to DreadOut too.
Really, now? That's a relief. I'll take a quick look at the DLC that's coming out this week, then.

>Was looking out for DreadOut before it was cool.

Kiru

I think some people on steamgaf wanted this game, so let's make one of them happy.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Lucius -- MB-7B038E105F342964 - Taken by Man Puncher. 8 entrants total.

t1399393438z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Even though TimeShift only took me 5 hours to beat it still felt a bit long. There are a few too many levels in generic industrial locations, FEAR style.

Li Kao

Tries out The Amazing Spider-Man 1, bought on sale a few days ago...
Hey, but but... it's good ! Why do no one tells me anything these days ? You bad people.

More seriously, played a few hours of it yesterday and while I can see tons of problems with the game, I think I'm gonna side with what IGN said about it : it's not a good game, but it sure is a fun game.

So yeah camera is shit, graphics are uneven, open world is barren and side activities are repetitive. But playing as Spidey feels good, the main missions are nice, there are a few pretty cool moments. Yeah it's the poor man's Arkham series, but it's really not as bad as I imagined it to be. Evidently to appreciate the game you have to like Spidey, open worlds AND having bought it on sale.

The game make me really curious to play the other Beenox games. A fucking shame that they are not on steam or not on PC.
Solid B-tier gaming.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
How can you know that? Have the midweeks leaked?

It was falsely added as a third midweek last week and removed shortly afterwards so one would assume that it's going to be on sale this week

Edit: Beaten

Started playing Guacamelee yesterday after finishing FFXHD and, man, that game is hard to put down. I'm looking forward to pissing off that goat as much as i can.

Arthea

Why did you say that?
Now I have to buy it.

take a deep breath, close gamersgate page and keep repeating yourself "not buying anything till summer sale"
never worked for me, but maybe it will for you, who knows!

I know, it's just the "no image" thingy bothers me. It was the only game I've played recently.

it's not available in my region, regional locks be damned.
I still can watch trailers, isn't that charming? (><)

Pachimari

take a deep breath, close gamersgate page and keep repeating yourself "not buying anything till summer sale"
never worked for me, but maybe it will for you, who knows!

Hmm.. I'll try this.

It also says:

Due to high demand we are currently out of serial keys for Outlast.
You may proceed with your order but it may take up to a few days before you recieve your serial key.

Dusk Golem

Alright everyone, my impressions of Daylight, that recent randomly generated horror game.

header_292x136.jpg

I saw this one coming for better or worse, I had this gut-feeling from early media it was going to be mediocre, and unfortunately that's what it turned out to be.

Daylight is a first-person randomly generated survival-horror game. Or how I like to call it, 'Pseudo Pac-Man'.

Basically, this is the game; You got a story area where you're safe, and story things happen, then you get thrown into a randomly generated maze, where you have to find a key, and find the exit. And then rinse and repeat, over and over, until the game is done. They try and throw a few things in to make it more 'interesting', with random scares in mazes and 'puzzles' in the safe areas. But the scares are super weak for the most part, and the 'puzzles' are such riveting things such as, "Push this glowing crate in front of this higher stack of glowing crates," or, "Find the switch to open up this secret door." Riveting.

Now, I may have drawn attention to my Pac-Man example, let me explain... Since most of the horror is a maze, you sort of just waka-waka your way through these mazes, which get larger as the game goes on. You have a map that forms on the phone you always carry in-front of your face as you explore, and as you go there are 'consumable' story pages that you can pick-up (no worries, they freeze gameplay, yo~). And as you explore, there is a ghost that goes after you. And you look for flares, which act like Power Pellets. The ghost AI I noticed while playing will not kill you if you're not looking at it, though. Essentially the ghost approaches you, and when it gets too close and you look at it, you lose. Ghost can teleport around like Slender, and sometimes you'll turn around and it'll be right there and you die. Also, Glowsticks, which you use to make objects you can interact with highlightable.

It's all fun enough, but hardly scary to me. I was not scared once when playing the game, though was tensed-up during a few closer encounters. It doesn't help that the two main characters (the one who you play as and some guy talking to you on the phone) are very unlikable. You see a chair slightly move. "Ohhhhhhhhh," your character says all scared-like. A tile falls from the ceiling. "Ohhhhhhhh." You start to realize that the character's reacting to try and be 'in-touch' with the player, but it isn't working. She cries to herself that she's scared. She says lines like, "What was that? Was there something behind me?," when clearing there isn't. And says she hears noises when there's no audio at all and stupidly calls out at random if anyone's there, and just... Ugh... I haven't felt this dissonant from a horror protagonist in a long time.

And then there's Mr. Guy on the Radio, who was never explained who exactly he was, but you can take some guesses. He's a guy on a radio, who's official occupation seems to be saying cryptic shit that means absolutely nothing. He'll ring off every once in a while, mostly when you pick up stuff, and rant on like some living Fortune Cookie.

ss_6bc2a2b647b93f41a28ae38c699ec0901d83703f.600x338.jpg

And the story is incredibly disappointing, the files are lackluster to decent, and the ending is all kinds of disappointing. I'd tell you the story, but honestly there's hardly any story to tell. I guessed the stories big plot twist literally in the first five minutes of the game. And the story hardly has any presence in the game anyways.

The randomly generated aspect doesn't feel too needed, as most of the rooms look similar for the most part, and can either make what you're objective is stupidly easy, or a lot harder than it needs to be. I think randomly generated mazes wasn't the best idea on the devs, the game is pretty linear so the random level layout often can make the levels themselves feel rather poor more often than not. Scares and all that I can understand being randomized, but in a game that's at heart a linear corridor horror game, the random feature literally in this case just shifts halls and rooms around.

But it's decent fun, and it looks fairly pretty. The music is nice. I'd say it's decent if it's cheap, but it's honestly a very mediocre game. It's not terrible or even bad I'd say, I'd just say it falls short.of its promise, and it almost all comes from poor choices. The mechanics are good, and there's groundwork here for a good horror game, but the execution just falls flat a lot of the time.

Buy if cheap and like horror games as it's not terrible, but not worth it full price either, and honestly rather average as a whole.And it feels like a lot of other games that have come out in the last few years.

Dr Dogg

Even though TimeShift only took me 5 hours to beat it still felt a bit long. There are a few too many levels in generic industrial locations, FEAR style.

I always get TimeShift mixed up with Fracture (despite that being third person and not on PC). 5 hours sounds like something I can deal with if I plough through in one sitting but I've still got the later half of Singularity to knock out.

DocSeuss

Payday 2: free heists, free guns, free masks, lets people play dlc even if they don't own it so long as the host has it. We're getting another free gun and masks and stuff this week as part of the community thing--heck, the community weapons are generally better than the DLC weapons.

And ya'll are complaining.

I'm more bummed that the LMGs have terrible accuracy.

It is a bit weird that LMGs/Sniper rifles/grenades weren't in the game by default, I guess, but LMGs are so terrible, I'm not sure it matters. Hm. I'll have to think about this more.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
full bore wasnt in any indiegala/royale/groupees right?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Then I'm gonna love the hell out of it. F.E.A.R. felt pretty short to me, maybe due to only having like 3 different settings (and luckily I didn't feel like they were stretched out).

Payday 2: free heists, free guns, free masks, lets people play dlc even if they don't own it so long as the host has it. We're getting another free gun and masks and stuff this week as part of the community thing--heck, the community weapons are generally better than the DLC weapons.

Let's not forget that the game was released in an utterly unfinished state, tons of bugs and glitches, very poor balance, very light on content, questionable design choices, constant nerfs by the developers in successive 10gb patches, features promised pre-launch which still haven't been implemented. Anything else that I missed?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Then I'm gonna love the hell out of it. F.E.A.R. felt pretty short to me, maybe due to only having like 3 different settings (and luckily I didn't feel like they were stretched out).

FEAR sort of gets away with it because the shooting feedback and enemy encounters are good. TimeShift lacks both of those.

zkylon

zkylewd

I'm more bummed that the LMGs have terrible accuracy.

It is a bit weird that LMGs/Sniper rifles/grenades weren't in the game by default, I guess, but LMGs are so terrible, I'm not sure it matters. Hm. I'll have to think about this more.
eh it's a lot of free shit for a game which has been changed so many times i don't even want to bother with it anymore

all that they keep doing is making new money sinks instead of actually giving you the ability to just play whatever you want without having to grind for ages

and the big issues still remain

afaik there's still no way to communicate with teammates other than voicechat (yea no thanks) and do-it-all f key, and i don't even know how stealth works anymore or classes. i heard my class got nerfed and buffed like 7 times already and yea i just don't wanna bother anymore with the constant downloads

like i feel like it could be pretty good with friends but since you gotta grind so much the experience with strangers should be way fucking better

DocSeuss

Let's not forget that the game was released in an utterly unfinished state, tons of bugs and glitches, very poor balance, very light on content, questionable design choices, constant nerfs by the developers in successive 10gb patches, features promised pre-launch which still haven't been implemented. Anything else that I missed?

1. I think you're exaggerating the bugs and glitches.

2. Not sure what you mean by balance; I think it was quite good, despite some major improvements they needed making.

3. They had more content than the previous game, which I adored, and have continued to add more.

4. Yeah, the small map thing is a terrible design choice, but apparently they're unable for whatever reason to maintain the same map size as the previous game. I've liked a lot of what they've done in the patches, though.

5. What features are we missing aside from 5-6-7 day missions?

eh it's a lot of free shit for a game which has been changed so many times i don't even want to bother with it anymore

all that they keep doing is making new money sinks instead of actually giving you the ability to just play whatever you want without having to grind for ages

and the big issues still remain

afaik there's still no way to communicate with teammates other than voicechat (yea no thanks) and do-it-all f key, and i don't even know how stealth works anymore or classes. i heard my class got nerfed and buffed like 7 times already and yea i just don't wanna bother anymore with the constant downloads

like i feel like it could be pretty good with friends but since you gotta grind so much the experience with strangers should be way fucking better

I think most of the class changes have been beneficial. They've been watching how people play and responding to that.

Geez, do TF2 people complain this much about the incessant patching that game gets?

What are "the big issues?"

I'm not trying to sound unsympathetic here, I just feel people are exaggerating some of the complaints.

Dambrosi

Banned
I think most of the class changes have been beneficial. They've been watching how people play and responding to that.

Geez, do TF2 people complain this much about the incessant patching that game gets?

What are "the big issues?"

I'm not trying to sound unsympathetic here, I just feel people are exaggerating some of the complaints.
Yes, yes they did, back in the early days before F2P and hats.

Now all they care about is hats, keys, and the pursuit thereof.

That said, TF2 is still awesome, and I really should find some time to play the thing, but right now Drangleic is constantly calling to me. That and Playfire creds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom