• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a question I would want to know answer a lot for the longest time too.
Why no happy go lucky characters of any importance? What's wrong with us? Or cuties? Or silly yet charming, well, we have clueless Rufus to fill that void, but Deponia is a comedic game, so it hardly counts.
by us I mean the west.

The cast of the uncharted games is pretty much like you´re describing. All the characters are lighthearted and there's a ton of humor in the dialogue.
It's a bit rare though, especially when it comes to shooters.

On the other hand a lot of japanese games take the sillyness way too far for my tastes.
I'm playing a jrpg called Ar NoSurge right now and I like the battle system, the art direction (with the exception of some truly atrocious character designs) and the general concept but man, there are a ton of scenes and dialogue that just leave me scratching my head.

Arthea

The cast of the uncharted games is pretty much like you´re describing. All the characters are lighthearted and there's a ton of humor in the dialogue.
It's a bit rare though, especially when it comes to shooters.

On the other hand a lot of japanese games take the sillyness way too far for my tastes.
I'm playing a jrpg called Ar NoSurge right now and I like the battle system, the art direction (with the exception of some truly atrocious character designs) and the general concept but man, there are a ton of scenes and dialogue that just leave me scratching my head.

I play it right now too and I find it funny, most of dialogue, and lemme tell you there is a lot dialogue in there, like 80% of my playtime is all talk!
and I kinda like it

I know I won't be.

Although I'd prefer Europe, and not deal with America's different systems.

you don't know until you there, just sayin

edited: btw, steam is down and it's not even Tuesday
edit2: back again

Dr Dogg

The worst threads for port begging in my experience are crowdfunding threads. Every time there's a slew of "but why not x platform" and "they should include a stretchgoal for y platform" and others regardless if it would fit in with tne planned project or be at odds with what's feasible in a financial, production or overall vision scene.

The cast of the uncharted games is pretty much like you´re describing. All the characters are lighthearted and there's a ton of humor in the dialogue...

In cutscenes. Bar the museum break in part in 2, during gameplay Drake is a right bastard. He's killed enough people in each entry to populate a small principality. That lighthearted, wisecracking scamp.

That's a question I would want to know answer a lot for the longest time too.
Why no happy go lucky characters of any importance? What's wrong with us? Or cuties? Or silly yet charming, well, we have clueless Rufus to fill that void, but Deponia is a comedic game, so it hardly counts.
by us I mean the west.

If you're going to bring up Deponia, I'd point you towards The Night of the Rabbit. The main character in that one isn't angry, gloomy or disinterested. As a bonus he's - gasp - actually LIKABLE! In a Daedalic game, I know!

Actually Cloud in FF7 is not angsty like in AC or any of his post KH interpretation

Yeah, the angst is kind of something put on him, but for sure he's at least one of or some configuration of disinterested, angry, or gloomy at any given time in FF7.

My point was mostly that the statement is just too broad to have any real merit. Not only can it be easily disproven, the inference that Eastern games are the opposite is just as false. Hell, I just watched the Berserk anime that's on Netflix streaming, and those three words are basically the only ones I'd use to describe Guts. I'd have to add a distant forth by saying "swordsman."

To me, it's not so much a regional thing as it is a universal crutch of simple storytelling, an easy way to garner interest in a character without development needed by making them some combination of those three things to give them "mystique." East or West, doesn't matter.

Also, the true king of disinterest:

UBeLZJ2.gif

Phinor

To be honest, I struggle to tell the difference between 59fps and 60fps.

In the past few months I've seen quite a few people panicking when their game runs at 59fps instead of 60fps. For some reason it is considered to be a significant if not game-breaking issue when in reality you simply can't notice it (unless things break at less than 60fps but that's very rarely the case). I wanted to play at 60fps seems to be the complaint and 59fps just doesn't do it.

Weird.

Dr Dogg

This is going to sound really odd but I can usually spot the difference between 59fps and 60fps instantly. Well it's more feel and that's thanks to the way some PAL WiiU Virtual Console games which have been stepped so their 50hz output is to the inline with the 60hz refresh of every WiiU. There's a slight judder every second on Super Metroid that I can't help but notice at that one frame that's dropped. Mario Kart 8 is somewhat the same but that's less pronounced in a 3d situation.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Started Crypt of the NecroDancer last night, thanks to Family Sharing. So far it's pretty fun, though I totally suck at it. It took me over 40 minutes to beat the first zone.

The difference is like day and night, how can you not see the difference? I am shocked!
I can't even see the difference between 30 and 60 :(

Arthea

superhumans everywhere.jpg

The problem with S-E is they need to stop half assing and let someone competent port jRPGs to Steam.

I'm not sure how competent one should be to make DS and iOS games to be a good ports. On the level of Chuck Norris, most likely.

If we talk about FF13, ya, I agree, they should hire some competent people.

Who knows? They might actually do it :)

But even if they don't, I think the game still looks great. Yes, it might have been stunning once, but the important thing for me is that they deliver once again on story, characters, decisions and consequences :D

And talking about The Witcher, last night I started The Witcher 2 on Insane again. I died 3 times during the prologue: first against the dragon, then against a stupid soldier and last against... the fire at camp right at the beginning...
Anyway, I finally managed to get to Flotsam again. Yay! Tonight I'll try not to die by the troll like the last time I managed to make it this far.

Die by the troll? Isn't he friendly if you aren't a jerk?

milena87

Die by the troll? Isn't he friendly if you aren't a jerk?

Well seeing as the one in Flotsam has a drinking problem you need to smack him around a bit to start regardless how you intend to complete the quest. I always take the dudes side.

Yep, as Dogg said. He can be friendly, but only after Geralt kicks his ass a bit.

The problem is that he can two-shot you and I apparently forgot to be careful :p

sheaaaa

Hi SteamGAF, is it worth playing Witcher 1 and 2 before 3 comes out? I tried a bit of 1 today and it seems quite janky and hasn't really grabbed me. Are they worth the time? Will I be missing much?

Hi SteamGAF, is it worth playing Witcher 1 and 2 before 3 comes out? I tried a bit of 1 today and it seems quite janky and hasn't really grabbed me. Are they worth the time? Will I be missing much?

You can skip 1. Then play Act 1 of TW2 and give up, just like the devs did.

That should leave you ready to enjoy 3.

Tizoc

superhumans everywhere.jpg

I'm not sure how competent one should be to make DS and iOS games to be a good ports. On the level of Chuck Norris, most likely.

If we talk about FF13, ya, I agree, they should hire some competent people.

iOS and DS ports of games on PC/Steam should at least run at 60 FPS, bonus points for additional graphic filters that make it look a little nicer or smoother.

YES!

Meanwhile Telltale won't release Ep. 2 of Walking Dead S3 until 2017 :V

For those who finished Wolfenstein The Old Blood, what are your thoughts on it?

I completed it yesterday and I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's more Wolfenstein which is obviously fantastic. The combat is as fun as ever. But then there were lots of small things about the game which kind of bothered me. To the point where I rate the experience significantly below The New Order. I remember replaying that game multiple times and going for all the achievements whereas I deleted The Old Blood immediately after finishing it.

I don't want to post spoilers for the stuff that I found annoying but I will say this... they should rename idtech 5 to Carmack's Mistake and just lose the code for the engine forever. It was designed for the sole purpose of getting 60fps on the last gen toasters. Those toasters have now been abandoned by the market and this engine should go with them.

Arthea

You all who bought your games all this last half of year, will regret this and be envy of me when summer sale comes, mark my word.
or it will be terrible and I'll be one regretting, but let's not think about it now
even more so when summer sale is only about a month or so away! *insert evil laugh here*

iOS and DS ports of games on PC/Steam should at least run at 60 FPS, bonus points for additional graphic filters that make it look a little nicer or smoother.

so... as I said, on Chuck Norris level at least.

Summer Sale again? But I haven't played all of the games I bought from the last 4-5 bigger sales >.<

me neither! but who cares?

Deques

You all who bought your games all this last half of year, will regret this and be envy of me when summer sale comes, mark my word.
or it will be terrible and I'll be one regretting, but let's not think about it now
even more so when summer sale is only about a month or so away! *insert evil laugh here*

Summer Sale again? But I haven't played all of the games I bought from the last 4-5 bigger sales >.<

Tizoc

Wait does Chuck Norris level= Easy?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

The curse of The Witcher 1 is that for most people who do enjoy it, it didn't really start picking up until Act 3. In my case, my playthrough took a bit over a year as I felt really burned out during the middle of Act 2's swamps and didn't pick it back up again until 11 months later. I'm glad I did, because I really enjoyed the way the story picked up in Act 3, the entire location and situation of Act 4, and the way everything came together for the final act. There are some people who will never get to see it though, because CDPR made the game a pretty rough slog for the first 10-20 hours. To say nothing of the divisive combat mechanics!

Witcher 2 is great, but still has some holdups. I really enjoyed the dynamic between Geralt and Letho, powerful men on two different sides of the same blade.

It's gonna be hard to tell how much you'll really miss in Witcher 3 without playing the first two since the carry-overs from Witcher 1 to 2 were somewhat tossed to the background. There have been sequences in trailers that have shown off places from the first game that really gave me chills seeing them again - in a good way! So you might miss out on stuff like that. But plotwise, you might just be okay with whatever summary they throw in at the beginning.

We are happy to announce that Life is Strange Episode 3: Chaos Theory will be released May 19

They picked Witcher 3 day for that? Ugh ;-;

Arthea

Wait does Chuck Norris level= Easy?

I really hate sounding this condescending while explaining obvious things, so stop me if you actually know what you are talking.
But 15 frames per second means there are only 15 frames per second in current animation, so if you want 60 frames, your have such options:
1. A game runs 4 times faster then it should.
2. You just duplicate every frame 4 times, doesn't change a thing only a game takes much more space.
3. Redo all animations from the scratch.

So kindly tell me, how is that easy?

Also how can you make a game look smooth and nice when you go from 256 × 192 to 1,920 × 1,080, especially easily?

dex3108

Also today we got Ubisoft E3 conference time and it is one hour later than usual. Now i only wait MS and Sony (and Nintendo maybe) to finish E3 schedule :D

Haunted

why is it in western-based games everyone is disinterested, angry, or gloomy
You need more B.U.D. in your life.

2725309-0748414380-ibs4Z.gif

I suppose it's generally to do with many games trying to target an older demographic and presenting a more realistic world. If you want the common shounen story with the cheery, wide-eyed child/teenage hero saving the world (and his female childhood sweetheart along the way) - that kind of story obviously still exists in western canon, but is usually relegated to saturday morning cartoons and other child-oriented fare.

milena87

I love both games, but they are not for everyone and they aren't easy to get into.

Both have a great story and great characters, both are well done RPGs.
Witcher 1 has probably the best story of the two, but it takes a while to get going, while Witcher 2 gets deeper into the political parts of setting. And it might not be easy to appreciate it.

Gameplay-wise, the first one is easy, you just need to follow the rhythm of combat and choose between the different combat styles. Potions are not really needed unless you play at the highest difficulty. Well, except for the Cat potion of course. But the simple fact that you can use potions during combat makes it easier.

The Witcher 2 is an Action-RPGs and it's both easier and harder than The Witcher 1. It's easier to like the combat, but it's unfortunately not always as responsive as it should be. This can become frustrating. There are also some strange difficulty spikes. After the various patches, now there's just one really difficult fight, and it's at the end of Act 1. Act 2 also has a frustrating part with some wraiths and not having access to the usual abilities, but it can be done just by relying on the Parry ability.

All in all, I'd recommend them to anyone who likes WRPGs and is willing to put some effort into understanding the setting.
And if someone really can't stand the combat, I'd recommend just dropping to easy and enjoy the story, characters and political intrigues.

edit:

Noooooooo! Why on May 19th? Why? What do I play now? :/
lol, real problems, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom