• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

This is 3D graphics we're talking about, we can have keyframes at 15 fps and interpolate movement between them, can't we?
Are we? I was talking in general.
It depends, I don't know enough to say how easy or hard that would be to do, and interpolation is very imprecise tool, anyway, at least I've never seen anything reliable for complex animations
(then again I'm not in the gaming business).

Yeah, I don't understand the "bigger = better" crowd, why would someone want to spend hours on horseback?

vUJBo79.gif

sheaaaa

Thanks for the input re Witcher! Think I may just skip the first cause the combat isn't clicking. All I'm doing is staring at the cursor waiting for it to catch fire. 2 being more action-focused seems more up my alley.

Sarcasm

Thanks for the input re Witcher! Think I may just skip the first cause the combat isn't clicking. All I'm doing is staring at the cursor waiting for it to catch fire. 2 being more action-focused seems more up my alley.

Don't forget he still moves slow.

Shadownet

Banned
A large map makes me wary. I just imagine so much space with nothing to do.
I saw the IGN review video and the guy said that even though the map is so big, there is always something to do or find.

Yeah, I don't understand the "bigger = better" crowd, why would someone want to spend hours on horseback?
I'm guessing you missed the
part where Gerald has sex with Yennefer on the back of a unicorn?

I think that's a good reason to spend many hours on horseback (;

milena87

The game ran fine on my 670 too. I've luckily never had any technical issues with idtech 5 games. But we all know what kinds of nonsense many, many people have had to deal with when it comes to this engine. The thing is, even when it runs fine, it doesn't feel like it belongs in 2015. How can you have a game like GTA 5 that has 50x the scope of this game and still end up looking and (possibly) running better?

I think the short length hurts the game too. It was obviously being made as two DLCs which they decided to repackage as a standalone game for some reason. The New Order left a very obvious door open for DLC with a villain who was never actually defeated so I'm surprised they didn't use that. And (gameplay spoilers)
the forced stealth sections just bugged me. It's the antithesis of the action packed game that Wolfenstein should be. Plus the story (chasing a folder!) was weak and level re-use was blah.

I guess quite a few of my complaints are counteracted by the fact that it was a $14 game but still...

I totally agree that idtech5 is garbage. Hopefully they'll stop using it.

And regarding Old Blood:
yes, story is totally weird. I mean, not that I need a particularly good reason to go about and kill some nazis, but a folder with the location of Deathshead compound? By the end I almost forgot why I was there, thankfully the game told me to go pick it up.
Stealth with the giant robots right at the beginning wasn't very fun, I agree. However, I didn't dislike stealth in general, I love throwing knives like a ninja

I can't wait to see what MachineGames does next. A proper sequel of TNO would be welcome of course, especially if they focus on story and characters as well as great gameplay.

I've been on a media blackout for a while but with all this media floating around a lot of people must've seen a considerable chunk of the game by now.

Dr Dogg

Mother Fuc...

Dead Space and Mass Effect DLC's are on offer (or in the case of DS2 Servered available) on PSN but meanwhile on Origin *crickets*. Why must you forsake me EA?

Also World Density always trumps World Size. Instead of increasing you playspace devs should be making more interior locations and meaningful content in unique locations of their worlds that ctl+c and then ctl+v 30% of the previous game.

chronomac

A few extra keys:

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Magicka: Horror Props Item Pack -- MB-AE1B71DB6EAAE351 - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.
Magicka: The Other Side of the Coin -- MB-25099EB72E5EF867 - Taken by Deques. 1 entrants total.
Knights of Pen & Paper Plus1 Edition -- MB-BF6F3A6E37280301 - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.
Magicka Wizard Wars Paradox Playtpus Robe -- MB-DEA2429F20E45B4F - Taken by Endruen

War of the Roses: Kingmaker -- MB-6243BE8167653FA4 - Taken by gurm3n
Magicka -- MB-47DF25B133B175DA - Taken by darkchewie
"Helping Heart" Paradox Forum Icon -- MB-416E0CF1EE761D5C

t1431529725z1.png

Nothing but thieves in central and south America with no concern about the people who actually have to produce games and movies. Don't believe me and think I'm generalizing? Spend some time down there. Even the entertainers down there miss out on a lot of sales of CDs and such, which is why they do so many concerts and live shows.

We are all thieves in central and south America :(

Wise words of the BAN PUNCHER.

Port begging is one of those "depends on how pissed off a mod gets and whether he/she feels like being a giant dickbag asshole" things.

Someone might say "Vita would've been a great fit for this game." and get a time out while others may make a petition begging a publisher to port their games to a platform and have an entire thread dedicated to the much maligned "port begging" offense.

Hi SteamGAF, is it worth playing Witcher 1 and 2 before 3 comes out? I tried a bit of 1 today and it seems quite janky and hasn't really grabbed me. Are they worth the time? Will I be missing much?

Absolutely worth your time.
I tried to explain this to Veggie over chat... but I'll do it here again for your benefit, since you haven't somehow ended up on my ignore list yet. ;)

First, it is known that I am a great advocate of games being played with a pad/controller. It is my preferred input method and I do not wish to try to figure out a comfortable way to sit in front of my 42" TV with a keyboard and mouse to play games.

Second, it is known that I love me some achievements. For me to spend time in a game where I cannot lose myself in achievement hunting is a rare, rare, rare occasion at this point in my gaming life. Go check my steam profile if you'd like the hard numbers (I'll save you the time; on Steam: 6,137 Achievements, 79 Perfect Games, 47% Avg. Game Completion Rate -- beyond Steam, I have 6623 trophies on PSN with 96 platinums. I have a gamerscore of 60,101 before I abandoned my x360 for all intents and purposes).

Now... take that into consideration when, late last year, not only did I play The Witcher from start to finish, but I also did so with a controller and without achievements. While I did not play all the EE extras, as I was "Witchered out" and knew I still had TW2 to play, I did spend a grand total of 38.1 hours.

Yes, the game starts out slow. Yes, the game is kind of janky. But like a lot of games, once you get the hang of the combat systems and figure out the way you like to play best, it's a great experience.

Again, you already own the game... how long have you played? How far did you get? If you tell me, I can better tell if the game should have become more enjoyable for you by then or not. But the recommendation I gave Veggie was "give it a few hours, play to this point, see if you enjoy it. If you're not really getting it after <spot> and you don't feel like playing, look up the story on YT or a wiki or something and move on to TW2".

For those who finished Wolfenstein The Old Blood, what are your thoughts on it?

I completed it yesterday and I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's more Wolfenstein which is obviously fantastic. The combat is as fun as ever. But then there were lots of small things about the game which kind of bothered me. To the point where I rate the experience significantly below The New Order. I remember replaying that game multiple times and going for all the achievements whereas I deleted The Old Blood immediately after finishing it.

I don't want to post spoilers for the stuff that I found annoying but I will say this... they should rename idtech 5 to Carmack's Mistake and just lose the code for the engine forever. It was designed for the sole purpose of getting 60fps on the last gen toasters. Those toasters have now been abandoned by the market and this engine should go with them.

100x better than TNO with some reservations.

Highlights:
+ No clunky intermission levels that just drag...
+ Levels and game overall are about the right length; it doesn't overstay its welcome.
+ Final boss is not nearly as poorly designed as the final boss of TNO
+ It's fun -- a lot of the weapons feel great... I don't recall what the new ones are, but I think overall the gunplay and story felt better.
+ Killing nahtzees with a pipe.
+ Challenge maps are kind of a cool idea
+ The twist is handled pretty well for being what it is. It makes the back half of gameplay change quite a bit in a rather interesting way.

Some of my few complaints:
- Forcing completion of the nightmare "classic" levels for achievements
- Tying achievements to challenge maps

idTech 5 was a mistake...

That's getting so played out already.

Speaking of The Old Blood I can't get into it. Might be because I recently wrapped up The New Order and Advanced Warfare but it's pretty much more of the same as TNO with a bit of goofyness. Still "I'm a Hotdog" had me in stitches.

Something being played out quickly by GAF? Never happens. Ever.

And that's not even the best line.

THIS is the best line/conversation in the game.

It's from chapter 6, but there's no real spoilers if you watch from that timestamp until BJ finishes talking to Kessler.

Hey, it's the least I could do. After all, you only celebrate the big 50 once!
Happy birthday grandpa!

First you spread a rumor that it's my birthday.
Then you outright lie about my age.
What's up with that?

Quiet you.

Does that mean that it will be in today's weekly humble bundle?

Today isn't Thursday. It's Wednesday.
No wonder you believed it was my birthday. :p

Shadownet

Banned
Just realized that Outland is $2.49 at the Humble Store, which is an all-time low for that game. I beat it last month and had a blast. Parts of it get pretty tough but nothing insurmountable and it ran super smooth at 1080p60 for me.
I was thinking about getting it. Is the platforming part tough? Or is it something else?

Btw, I emailed Nuuvem at supports@nuuvem.com.be yesterday and ask them to cancel my Arkham Knight preorder. How fast is their customer service?:3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom