• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you're interested in the 970(290 is AMD), then that's a pretty big jump up in performance(and a good deal with the games atm).

Yeah, even if you're not interested in the keys, you could sell them and make at least $50 back. A cash rebate of sorts. ;)

Starting to wonder if it might just be a good idea to wait for a while before playing this game. I remember being completely hyped by the Witcher 2 and finished it in the first week it came out. That was before even the first patch came out that fixed their broken DRM that was blocking a side quest, which I ultimately never got to check out.

Of course, ideally you'd wait a whole year and play the inevitable enhanced edition but who's going to wait that long...

Haven't you learned? That's pretty much the way to go with just about everything the last few years. Especially the PS4/X1/PC gen we're currently in. After Amazon ruined the 5th Bourne movie for me, I decided to wait on it until the load times patch... and I still haven't given it a go.

7850 I mean.

I have a 7850 and it's a great card, I haven't heard of a Nvidia 290, there's a AMD R9 290, and older Nvidia GeForce 200 series but no Nvidia 290 as far as I know.

EDIT: As good as the 7850 has been for me, it's a getting a little long in the tooth, I would recommend a AMD R9 280x-290-290x or a GTX 960-970 as a good mid to high range cards that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I have a 7850 and it's a great card, I haven't heard of a Nvidia 290, there's a AMD R9 290, and older Nvidia GeForce 200 series but no Nvidia 290 as far as I know.

EDIT: As good as the 7850 has been for me, it's a getting a little long in the tooth, I would recommend a AMD R9 280x-290-290x or a GTX 960-970 as a good mid to high range cards that don't cost an arm and a leg.

The 960 is kinda garbage.
It's only got 2gb of VRAM.
Considering I won't be upgrading until nVidia or AMD puts out a card that is reasonably priced with 8gb of VRAM... (4gb is not enough to "future proof" your card for awhile), I would not tell anyone to spend money on a card with less than 4gb of VRAM.

Ice cold...

Also, the other nice comparison is when its eventually $20 via uPlay but still $40+ on Steam as it seems Steam is the last place to get deep discounts on Ubisoft games.

Of course it is.
Companies want their platform only version to sell.
Most people don't want to be forced to deal with some unproven/underused/undeveloped platform when it comes to playing a game.
When people hold off on buying cause they want the Steam version, ubi (or retailers who have stock of digital keys for uplay only versions) respond by dropping ridiculous deals on the keys hoping they move.
When I got my 770x I ended up selling all 3 codes with it... and then getting the games eventually on Steam. And while I considered redeeming Arkham Origins, I figured I wanted the subsidy on my card more, so I sold it. Trying to find buyers for the uPlay only AC4 and SC:Blacklist... I had to drop the prices to pennies on the dollar.

Dsyndrome

For y'all playing W3, do you craft consumables once and they reset when you meditate? Everything consumable I've crafted has "You already have this item." I'm not too far, so it's not me playing 20 hours and just now noticing.

If that's the case, that's way different than the past games. What would be the benefit of grabbing tons of alchemy agents if you theoretically only need them a finite amount of times based on the Formulas in your inventory?

For y'all playing W3, do you craft consumables once and they reset when you meditate? Everything consumable I've crafted has "You already have this item." I'm not too far, so it's not me playing 20 hours and just now noticing.

If that's the case, that's way different than the past games. What would be the benefit of grabbing tons of alchemy agents if you theoretically only need them a finite amount of times based on the Formulas in your inventory?

That can't be right.
You're saying you can craft a Cat/Rook/Swallow potion one time and then never need to craft it again? If that's the case, it would be useless.

I did a bulk crafting of rook and some cat when I first started TW2 and had a ton of ingredients to spare, but I haven't used all that stock yet and haven't crafted anything since a ton of grapeshot in act/chapter 1.

Dsyndrome

That can't be right.
You're saying you can craft a Cat/Rook/Swallow potion one time and then never need to craft it again? If that's the case, it would be useless.

I did a bulk crafting of rook and some cat when I first started TW2 and had a ton of ingredients to spare, but I haven't used all that stock yet and haven't crafted anything since a ton of grapeshot in act/chapter 1.
Cat, Tawny Owl, and White Honey all state that I already have this item. I haven't used much yet, so that saying may go away once the quantities get depleted.
Edit: Used a Tawny Owl and it still says the same message.

Corpekata

Banned
All replenishable crafting items are refilled by meditating provided you have alcohol (not beers, but any alcohol that's listed as a alchemy reagent). They offset this by making things harder to craft in the first place. I didn't manage to craft Grapeshot bombs until like 12 hours in.

You need more reagents because there's a shitload more things to craft (upgrades to potions and whatnot) but you don't need to hoard quite as much.

Buraindo

Yeah it seems you only have to craft potions and bombs once. They replenish every time you meditate, so long as you have some alcohol in your inventory.

EDIT: And I'm too late.

zkylon

zkylewd
Pca7h1R.png

#ubisales

sounds ike ubi's doing pc gamers a favor anyways

Dsyndrome

All replenishable crafting items are refilled by meditating provided you have alcohol (not beers, but any alcohol that's listed as a alchemy reagent). They offset this by making things harder to craft in the first place. I didn't manage to craft Grapeshot bombs until like 12 hours in.

You need more reagents because there's a shitload more things to craft (upgrades to potions and whatnot) but you don't need to hoard quite as much.
Yeah it seems you only have to craft potions and bombs once. They replenish every time you meditate, so long as you have some alcohol in your inventory.

EDIT: And I'm too late.
Thanks guys, must've missed that tutorial.

Go, AMD!

Considering I won't be upgrading until nVidia or AMD puts out a card that is reasonably priced with 8gb of VRAM... (4gb is not enough to "future proof" your card for awhile), I would not tell anyone to spend money on a card with less than 4gb of VRAM.

I believe there is a 4gb vram variance of the 960.

This is true. It sounds easier compared to previous games, but it's not really, actually.
It doesn't make sense though, replenishing potions with just alcohol.

Corpekata

Banned
I think it eventually comes up as part of the story once you get the + attack power potion formula.

Go, AMD!

I believe there is a 4gb vram variance of the 960.

This is true. It sounds easier compared to previous games, but it's not really, actually.
It doesn't make sense though, replenishing potions with just alcohol.

It doesn't, but I find it a lot more fun. I don't tend to hoard my shit constantly like I did in Witcher 2 and it also frees me a bit from humping every flower and container and looting every thing.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of chronomac, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
Broken Age (GOG) -- MB-3AEDAB5191DC6F3D - Taken by bobnowhere. 8 entrants total.

t1432183409z1.png

I think it eventually comes up as part of the story once you get the + attack power potion formula.

It doesn't, but I find it a lot more fun. I don't tend to hoard my shit constantly like I did in Witcher 2 and it also frees me a bit from humping every flower and container and looting every thing.

Yeah, I also prefer this system actually.

Dsyndrome

Interesting that you get an ability point from every place of power now. Makes Ass Creeding the game seem worthwhile now, not that the no-marker method is wrong
(have fun searching every inch of the greater than Skyrim map, exploration purists)

Explain.

The reason I wanna upgrade is cause we're in the era of games needing moar power.

CDPR admits the downgrade.
"If you're looking at the development process, we do a certain build for a tradeshow and you pack it, it works, it looks amazing. And you are extremely far away from completing the game," Iwinski explained. "Then you put it in the open world, regardless of the platform, and it's like, 'Oh shit, it doesn't really work.' We've already showed it, now we have to make it work. And then we try to make it work on a huge scale. This is the nature of games development."
He also said that suggestions that the PC version of the game was held back by the console editions is accurate, but only to a point: Without the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 releases, he continued, The Witcher 3 as it is wouldn't exist on any platform, because the studio simply couldn't afford to make a game of this scale exclusive to the PC.
Reasonable.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Explain.

The reason I wanna upgrade is cause we're in the era of games needing moar power.

Most "high-end" current-gen games require 3GB+ of VRAM for max texture quality. Buying a 2GB card today wouldn't really achieve anything. Wait for the oft-rumoured 6GB 980 Ti if you've the cash to splash but otherwise a 970 would do you fine for a while.

What Marcin Iwinski is saying in that Eurogamer interview isn't much different from what John Carmack was saying about Rage. When it comes to the triple A business model, console games aren't holding PC gaming back the way some assert, they're propping it up financially.

Did the console versions restrict the PC version?

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

I love the second question and answer.

Why did the graphics change?

"If you're looking at the development process," Iwinski begins, "we do a certain build for a tradeshow and you pack it, it works, it looks amazing. And you are extremely far away from completing the game. Then you put it in the open-world, regardless of the platform, and it's like 'oh shit, it doesn't really work'. We've already showed it, now we have to make it work. And then we try to make it work on a huge scale. This is the nature of games development."

What works in a vertical slice/e3 demo build doesn't always necessarily work or show up in the final build once you start having to allocate resources to little things like the rest of the actual game beyond the staged part you're showing for a demo, fine. It's just hard to distinguish between the blue skies dreaming of the development and disingenuous bullshit demo builds from the outside.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Explain.

It's...Kind of hard to recommend a "future proof" card at the moment, since it's hard to pin down where performance demands are going to be in the future. Whether or not you'll need or use a massive amount of VRAM, if you're better off planning for SLI/Crossfire for a steady framerate in VR, if you'll use freesynch/gsynch.

Like, it didn't take long for the 970 to go from a rock solid recommendation to 'maybe wait and see.' If you wanted to mod super high res textures into GTA5 and play it at above 1080p, you're probably not gonna get 60fps. And I think it's recently been set as the baseline min-spec for the Oculus Rift. And there's the question of much of a DirectX 12 card it'll turn out to be.

If you wanted to blow the doors off any older games with downsampling and emulation, it's amazing. But the confidence that it'll be a card you're rock solid with for 3+ years is a bit more shaken now. This might just be my own experience talking though.

Most "high-end" current-gen games require 3GB+ of VRAM for max texture quality. Buying a 2GB card today wouldn't really achieve anything. Wait for the oft-rumoured 6GB 980 Ti if you've the cash to splash but otherwise a 970 would do you fine for a while.

Jayson Cee is my man.

He is my Australian.

Salsa

every single person in the world should be playing the witcher 3 right now

fucking inexcusable to pass up, good lord. dont think ive liked a game this much in quite a while.

Teeth

fucking inexcusable to pass up, good lord. dont think ive liked a game this much in quite a while.

I don't think I have the rig to run it properly/the way I want so I'll get to it eventually.

I actually loathed Witcher 2, but I'm strangely interested in W3 anyway.

Salsa

I don't think I have the rig to run it properly/the way I want so I'll get to it eventually.

I actually loathed Witcher 2, but I'm strangely interested in W3 anyway.

this is the first game im playing at 30fps on PC in my life and im still singin praises

That's not exactly high praise considering your primary gaming platform is for kids.

saoirse just looks old there. not even fat

ExoSoul

Banned
What Marcin Iwinski is saying in that Eurogamer interview isn't much different from what John Carmack was saying about Rage. When it comes to the triple A business model, console games aren't holding PC gaming back the way some assert, they're propping it up financially.

I love the second question and answer.

What works in a vertical slice/e3 demo build doesn't always necessarily work or show up in the final build once you start having to allocate resources to little things like the rest of the actual game beyond the staged part you're showing for a demo, fine. It's just hard to distinguish between the blue skies dreaming of the development and disingenuous bullshit demo builds from the outside.

They're not exactly a new developer, some of those answers just aren't good enough because they're supposed to know better by now.

Maybe people would had prefered less scale and "better" contente (can't rally say more because it would be the same). Most people weren't expecting the biggest map to date out of W3.

Teeth

this is the first game im playing at 30fps on PC in my life and im still singin praises

I'm mostly cool with 30 fps. It's the hitching and stuff that would bother me.

Also, still needs a few patches to iron out the bugs and crashes. I'm cool with waiting. I (almost) always end up with a better experience by waiting a month or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a big update to the game after a DLC or two that fixes a lot of the fan complaints that exist right now (about gameplay systems and whatnot). They basically did that with W2. Some mods might be nice by then too. Modding in infinite carry weight made W2 almost tolerable to play through.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Weren't you just shitting all over it 2 days ago or whenever you got it?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I got The Witcher 3 and Im here just playing Life is Strange, Tera and DOA5:LR.

IDK why I buy it if I didnt bother to finish 1 or 2. Still not a lot of damage done since it was 18 bucks.

Salsa

I got The Witcher 3 and Im here just playing Life is Strange, Tera and DOA5:LR.

IDK why I buy it if I didnt bother to finish 1 or 2. Still not a lot of damage done since it was 18 bucks.

what I meant by inexcusable is to the point of fuck 1 and 2

I feel like a lot of people are foolin themselves out of playing it for continuity reasons and such

you'll never finish 1 and 2, let's be real. There's a new game out all the time.

read a summary and play 3, dont let it have the same faith. It's so, so much better.

you don't miss out on much at all storywise by just jumpin right in. it's very much its own thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom