• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah I have to say, Witcher 3's writing is a hundred times more interesting than DA:I, even the side quests that have nothing to do with the main story still retained the Witcher Quality™.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
lPrLbHm.jpg

Salsa

I played The Silent Age on android and it was cool

I actually wrote the dev about translating it to spanish for free since I was bored and he said he'd get back to me but nothin'

man 30fps aint that bad

edit: didnt immediatly caught on fire upon saying that. mh
It sure beats the $300-400 price of need to pay just to get something near 60 fps on the witcher 3. I'll take 1080p @ around 30 with almost all ultra settings and be happy that CDPR is looking into some further optimizations.

Dsyndrome

Hopefully the 600+ graphical enhancements patch in cert now for W3 gets some optimization in there as well as the crash fixes and more graphic tweaking. A lot of folks settle for 30FPS locked and could theoretically go to around 60 with their hardware. For me, it'll mean 60FPS locked vice 55-60 with mostly Ultra and no hairworks.

Salsa

how fucking bad is this

I already pre-ordered but I feel so weird about this game. I guess it's mostly related to the stuff they put out and how they're handling all that (+ $40 season pass) + not caring about the batmobile and all but yeah..

can't seem to get excited about it much.

Smokey

Is the store down for anybody else?

I cannot connect. I was in the middle of buying something (Paypal verification) and the connection cut out. Now the store won't even load.

Dsyndrome

how fucking bad is this

I already pre-ordered but I feel so weird about this game. I guess it's mostly related to the stuff they put out and how they're handling all that (+ $40 season pass) + not caring about the batmobile and all but yeah..

That subway dude and alley kid are bout to get shanked. Also, I thought all that Scarecrow crap was PSN exclusive. Why's it on an Xbone commercial?

RP912

Banned
Is the store down for anybody else?

I cannot connect. I was in the middle of buying something (Paypal verification) and the connection cut out. Now the store won't even load.

I can't even log into my steam account at all :/. I got disconnected from mp in Project CARS and the next thing I know the whole client was down.

SSPssp

The store and community were down for me about an hour ago, but its working fine now. I think if you get kicked off for whatever reason, its hard to get back on.

how fucking bad is this

Terrible. Fitting, as I expect the game to be terribly disappointing.
Best think about that commercial was the use of the NIN track... until they did the weird filters on it and "AMPED IT UP" during the gameplay footage, which was really poorly cut together.

The store and community were down for me about an hour ago, but its working fine now. I think if you get kicked off for whatever reason, its hard to get back on.

Steam finally started working again, but the market is still fubar.

chronomac

Enjoy!
ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
Broken Age (GOG) -- MB-3AEDAB5191DC6F3D - Taken by bobnowhere. 8 entrants total.

t1432183409z1.png

Lomax

The new Lego Dimensions trailer just makes it all the more obvious how I'm much better off that there's no PC version because holy crap it would just eat all my money. All of it. Hell, I'm starting to think about getting a console just for it. Not good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The new Lego Dimensions trailer just makes it all the more obvious how I'm much better off that there's no PC version because holy crap it would just eat all my money. All of it. Hell, I'm starting to think about getting a console just for it. Not good.

There'll probably be a PC version later down the track that offers additional characters as DLC rather than figurines, a la Disney Infinity 2.0.

Khronico

Basically played Witcher 3 all day and I've only done like 2 main quest things... I think I'm going to take a break for a few days, can't afford to binge play like this unfortunately.

Lomax

There'll probably be a PC version later down the track that offers additional characters as DLC rather than figurines, a la Disney Infinity 2.0.

Which really makes no sense to me, since whatever attachment they've developed for the consoles has to be running on USB, right? Either way, it seems odd there's no launch Steam version given the Portal set. Still, I know it would be better for me to just pretend it doesn't exist, because it's all stupidly expensive.

Well, since I played, beat, and gave impressions for the first Runaway, I decided to knock another game out of my backlog - the third in this series, since I don't have the second. So here you go: impressions for the bundly-as-hell Runaway: A Twist of Fate.

The story: Let me preface this by saying I actually thought this was the second game in the series since I saw this one and the original Runaway in Modbot raffles far more than what was actually the second game, so I assumed that one was the most recent. Oh well. Anyway, for the majority of the game you play two characters: former physics grad student Brian Basco, who has now fully embraced his point-and-click protagonist role to the point where he starts pointing out its tropes, and Gina Timmins, a former exotic dancer who originally tried to use Brian as a patsy to steal money before somehow deciding she cares for him and lured him away from getting a doctorate in physics. Brian starts out in a psychiatric hospital, accused for a murder he doesn't remember committing, while Gina sets out to prove both Brian's innocence and sanity. Knowledge of the previous games is not required, but it does help speed along a puzzle where you're basically asked to retell the events of the first game (otherwise you'd have to trial and error it) and the second game is recapped for you near the end with dialogue, in the rare moments that you play Dr. Ian Bennett, a psychiatrist, although he doesn't have any inventory puzzles, just dialogue, and only for a few minutes tops.

The story itself is alright. It's not as good as the first one, which had more of a sense of adventure and a more likeable main character. The Brian Basco in this game seems to be more of a jerk, and Gina was never all that nice to begin with. Also, the game gets far too self-aware at times. Gina points out that "Brian told me that flashlights will always need batteries," only for her to receive a fully functional flashlight and vocalize the subversion of the trope. As such, don't make this your first point-and-click game if you're new to the genre, because you won't get it.

To its credit, I did like the cast of supporting characters in this one. The mental patients are a good mix of personalities, although one of them who was supposed to be funny - a man whose memory constantly resets to numb the pain of flunking an important exam - comes off as downright depressing.

The gameplay: Vastly improved from the first one. There's less pixel hunting because you can display hotspots, but there is still some since there are some areas that you can't tell are scrollable and some rooms with more than one "camera angle" opening up to several more objects. There's also an in-game "hint button" featuring a guy named Mr. Pendulo who is careful not to give away full solutions, but nudge you in the right direction. Of course, a game aware of adventure game tropes is sure to pack solutions with adventure game logic, so ready your caps for lateral thinking and/or bullshit. :)

The dialogue and voices: They changed both Brian and Gina's voice actors since the first game. Brian does a passable job but doesn't deliver with the same emotion that his predecessor did. Gina is now played by Sharon Mann, who did Kate Walker in the Syberia games. And they're exactly the same voice read with the same inflections and personality. I guess in some ways Gina was done worse, since you can hear Sharon Mann chuckling a bit as she says some of the jokes in the dialogue she's reading. Everyone's voices, though, sound good and clear (as you'd expect from a point and click game that's over 5 gigs.)

The graphics: Trying to set the game at 1920x1080 doesn't use up the full screen, just a smaller box, and states it's "not a recommended setting." Apart from that, the cutscenes look better, the sprites look better, the inventory items spin around in 3D with decent textures, all in all it's a good-looking Broken-Sword-esque cartoon-looking game.

The music and audio: More new tracks, mostly by one band. It would have been cooler if it ended with a reprise of the theme song from the first game, but ah well, it's still good.

The length: my Steam played time says 11 hours but I did leave it alt-tabbed while I did other stuff so it's more like 9-10. Still, that's a decent "full length" adventure.

The verdict: If you're new to adventure games, skip this until you get a little more knowledge of the genre under your belt. If you're an old hand at them and don't mind obvious jokes about them, then this one does a pretty good job. Myself, the smugness of the self-awareness and of the protagonists turned me off a bit, but the rest of the game made up for it, so I'm giving it a pass.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
no, it sure did not .... I guess they just figured out it's not worth bringing the framerate down even lower into single digits ;)

Yeah, I'd say the intention was to optimise the game such that performance with tessellation would be on roughly par with the pre-patch build but was shelved due to time constraints. Maybe Syndicate will have it.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Yeah, I'd say the intention was to optimise the game such that performance with tessellation would be on roughly par with the pre-patch build but was shelved due to time constraints. Maybe Syndicate will have it.

we can only hope ;)

Hopefully the 600+ graphical enhancements patch in cert now for W3 gets some optimization in there as well as the crash fixes and more graphic tweaking. A lot of folks settle for 30FPS locked and could theoretically go to around 60 with their hardware. For me, it'll mean 60FPS locked vice 55-60 with mostly Ultra and no hairworks.

Starting to wonder if it might just be a good idea to wait for a while before playing this game. I remember being completely hyped by the Witcher 2 and finished it in the first week it came out. That was before even the first patch came out that fixed their broken DRM that was blocking a side quest, which I ultimately never got to check out.

Of course, ideally you'd wait a whole year and play the inevitable enhanced edition but who's going to wait that long...

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Battlepaths -- MB-76ED6521733CF540 - Taken by fertygo. 1 entrants total.
Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon -- MB-E8A7E679E80FD5FB - Taken by Last Baron
SWEET LILY DREAMS -- MB-D63DB8ADAB4718C3 - Taken by xGreg
Fly'n -- MB-961CEB8CBB2CBBFE - Taken by texhnolyze
Vanguard Princess -- MB-BE0597AABC01022B - Taken by Undead Bokun
boxeswithguns -- MB-D758FB9175A0E73F - Taken by Purkake4
Gun Monkeys -- MB-60211F7615561D36 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom