• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Risen is such a fun game, it was my first Piranha Bytes game. Apparently the Gothic games by them were better but they're kinda old now and Risen is pretty fun, pirate rpgs aren't exactly a common thing. Risen is a bit clunky--characters models, animation, combat and more--but they're trying a game of ambitious scale, an open world rpg with I don't even know how much time, money or people. This is what people called "euro jank" even though Bethesda and its games are a thing, there used to be a lot of small European developers trying to make ambitious role playing games on the pc.

The world of Risen looks awesome, it's this lush tropical island. The open world is easily the most commendable thing in Piranha Bytes games. It was pretty fun to explore because it doesn't scale everything to your level, you could end up in a place you weren't supposed to be and die. I also liked how it gave you choices about which faction to serve but, kind of like The Witcher, neither were exactly a good choice.

Took me a solid 50 hours to beat but I had a lot of fun playing it, never got into the sequels quite as much.

Piranha Bytes games are an acquired taste. I loved Risen but I skipped Risen 2 because pretty much everyone said it was shit. I think the developers acknowledged that to some extent given how the focal point of their marketing for Risen 3 was that it was "going back to it's roots" and would be more like the first one.

So I ended up playing Risen 3 and it's definitely a decent follow up to Risen. It has three major islands plus a bunch of smaller ones so it's quite a bit bigger than the first one. It has all the eurojank that you'd expect and combat that somehow manages to annoy people in a post-Souls world. But yea, I thought it was a good game. No one really talks about it here on GAF though. You should check it out next time it's on sale or something.

derExperte

If you like Risen 1 and 3 I don't see many reasons to not also play 2, most who hated it already didn't like the first one. Combat is boring but it has much better pacing, R1 towards the end became a 'bring me x artifacts'-slog with too much backtracking. No such thing in R2. Imo Piranha Bytes' worst problem is a severe lack of post-release support, R2 got one or two patches and that was it. That's probably one of the reasons these games get forgotten fast, release patches and DLCs to keep people talking.

zkylon

zkylewd
sucks that there are about as many cool secrets in la-mulana as there are bullshit ones

i can't imagine anyone ever beating this game without using a guide

rtcn63

Tides of Numa Numa

Numa-numa-o.gif

Have a good wank an hour or so before.

Lol XD

You got this!

The way I always think of it is if you got the interview, they must be interested in you and think you may be worth hiring. It's just up to you to go in and show them they're correct. Easy. :) Good luck!

Good luck, interviews can be pretty nerve wracking (been through 4).

Best of luck and great success buddy!

Thank you! :) It went much better than I thought. Forgot to ask for their contact info to follow up though. OTL Also got home to find an email for another interview at a different company next week so I have another chance (though bad timing since I have an exam the next day).

Site seems to be broken to me when I try to sign in through Steam.

iosefe

Lol XD

Thank you! :) It went much better than I thought. Forgot to ask for their contact info to follow up though. OTL Also got home to find an email for another interview at a different company next week so I have another chance (though bad timing since I have an exam the next day).

Site seems to be broken to me when I try to sign in through Steam.
worth a shot.

on the subject of interviews. i had a spur of th moment one yesterday at a local car collector here in Miami. someone left the day before and my sister had a friend that works there. so there i was sitting at the place talking with the first stage of interview, wherein i filled an application, made my first impression, and then had a small tour.

On the lot was Herbie and the Mystery Machine

Backlogger

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Backlogger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Helldorado -- MB-707CB389963C3287 - Taken by electroflame. 7 entrants total.
GRID -- MB-644B666C6E742B32 - Taken by topyy. 7 entrants total.
Bardbarian -- MB-5ABE29A8B8B2B387 - Taken by bluechox2. 3 entrants total.

t1432266313z1.png

Anteater

i can't do it, i don't know what it is but marlow briggs is just incredibly boring and dull

It's like a worse god of war game without the fancy graphics and good looking bosses

chronomac

The NASCAR '15 demo's a hell lot of fun when you play the right way:

I started 5 races and each time I turned around and drove the wrong way into head-on crashes with the leader. I DNFed every race, but one time I crashed enough cars to finish 18th and my crew chief actually congratulated me on a top-20 finish.

Piranha Bytes games are an acquired taste. I loved Risen but I skipped Risen 2 because pretty much everyone said it was shit. I think the developers acknowledged that to some extent given how the focal point of their marketing for Risen 3 was that it was "going back to it's roots" and would be more like the first one.

So I ended up playing Risen 3 and it's definitely a decent follow up to Risen. It has three major islands plus a bunch of smaller ones so it's quite a bit bigger than the first one. It has all the eurojank that you'd expect and combat that somehow manages to annoy people in a post-Souls world. But yea, I thought it was a good game. No one really talks about it here on GAF though. You should check it out next time it's on sale or something.

I bought Risen 2 at launch, I think, but have only managed to put a few hours into it. I made another go at it when I bought Titan Lords during a sale, made it further but simply stopped again. Maybe I'll just skip trying to Dark Waters and go right to Titan Lord next time I feel the urge.

The NASCAR '15 demo's a hell lot of fun when you play the right way:

I started 5 races and each time I turned around and drove the wrong way into head-on crashes with the leader. I DNFed every race, but one time I crashed enough cars to finish 18th and my crew chief actually congratulated me on a top-20 finish.

I actually laughed at that.

Dsyndrome

Spares for folks.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dsyndrome, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Secret Files: Tunguska -- MB-8889E0B57FCE772A - Taken by Henry Swanson. 1 entrants total.
The Night of the Rabbit: Premium Edition -- MB-0EFBE25DB371E25D - Taken by crazyrabbits. 2 entrants total.
The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief Digital Deluxe Edition -- MB-42E95563D596080A - Taken by Kifimbo. 2 entrants total.
Syberia -- MB-C73CC90B73ECC14D - Taken by LuuKyK. 3 entrants total.
Blackwell Epiphany -- MB-01E5FC90798D8BFB - Taken by chronomac. 3 entrants total.

t1432258873z1.png

LuuKyK

Can I giveaway a game that's already in my inventory but I never activated? Its a Bioshock key that I won for free when I bought other games and that I never used since I already owned the game.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons -- MB-0CC709163DDED41C - Taken by Cyldman
Downpour -- MB-BBDEEE96B0D5142A - Taken by Diedac
x

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shit like this cracks me up.

Lmao, had loads of glitches with the PC version of Witcher 2, plus annoying update woes, now I get the console version to avoid all that and it won't even load. CPR hates me.

This is what happens when you use hyperbole when talking about your PC gaming experiences.

LuuKyK

Lets try this then. I don't even know if someone else DON'T own Bioshock at this point but here it goes. Never late to enjoy a classic. <3

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (LuuKyK, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bioshock -- MB-AB08A3DECDAD115C - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.

t1432261273z1.png

I just started using the awesomeness that is Big Picture mode. I think I'm in love

Weird that some games say keyboard/mouse only but have gamepad support. Like Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom