• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiru

Since it's my birthday (and I'm way too old for my own good), I thought I'd pass along a little something to GAF as a way to celebrate.
Here's a game from my wishlist and hopefully off one of yours
Happy birthday to you gabbo-rino! :D

Everyone says the story is really good. Part me of thinking is playing with a trainer perhaps. I've done that a few times with lesser games and it balances things out.
Might actually be a good idea. Combat is defo not the highlight; it's the weakest part so far (still need to unlock/upgrade signs to make final judgement). Story, characters and world make me continue to play it.

Weapon upgrades are also not that good implemented imo. There shouldn't be six things to upgrade (Steel: strong, fast, group / Silver: strong, fast, group) but instead just three for the different stances or even only two for Steel & Silver Swords.
That I don't like much.

Compared to that are sign and four base stat upgrade paths very cool though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
But the combat, wow. I had no clue that it was "rhythm-based".
Hope it gets more "direct" in sequels.

It's still somewhat rhythm-based, but TW2 masks it up by making it look prettier and smoother between frames.

I think I didn't mind Witcher 1's combat all that much because I'd played several thousand hours of Phantasy Star Online over the years, which had a steady rhythm for weapons/attack styles that you had to get used to. By comparison, Witcher 1's system was much more open-ended. One thing that was absolutely broken for me in W1 was the boxing matches. I never lost a single one, thanks to a pattern I accidentally discovered which worked to stunlock every opponent every time. I am completely sure that wasn't an intentional feature.

milena87

Since it's my birthday (and I'm way too old for my own good), I thought I'd pass along a little something to GAF as a way to celebrate.

Happy birthday! :D

But the combat, wow. I had no clue that it was "rhythm-based".
Hope it gets more "direct" in sequels.

Maybe it's because I played TW1 on release the first time, but I actually enjoy the combat. It's easy, relaxing and with so many limbs flying in every direction.

TW2 is completely action, but it still has a sort of rhytm to it. Unfortunately it can be unresponsive at times, so it doesn't feel as smooth as the combat in the Batman games.
TW3 is pretty much the same, but they smartly added dodge and I love it.
after hating it for an hour because I was too used to TW2's flow of combat

Ban Puncher

2415078-0659874517-giphy.gif

Happy Birthday!

Edit: The Witcher is amazing. I think I like Gwent, but the 2nd npc I ever played had a deck that put mine to shame. Maybe I'm supposed to come back to him later.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

NPPD Rush -- MB-C0680303331CC886 - Taken by Purkake4

Have fun

I really wish we had a moratorium on either "It's my birthday!" posts or have all happy bday messages be PMs only. This thread becomes insufferable when someone declares it's their bday.

Jawmuncher

I really wish we had a moratorium on either "It's my birthday!" posts or have all happy bday messages be PMs only. This thread becomes insufferable when someone declares it's their bday.

PMs would be a good thing perhaps. That or people making two way posts. Giving happy birthdays while still talking about something else as well.

Wolfie5

The game is more style than anything really. The world looks great and the characters designs are cool, but yeah it won't change that much. A few hours though you might already be close to the end. I would say just bee line it to the end and don't worry about anything else.

I see, thanks for the input. I might as well finish it then, since it doesn't seem to be a long game and the world does look great.

redlacs

episode 2 of The Detail, called From the Ashes, should be released this month - here's the announcement (some kind of unspecified discount is promised).
(cant say its a bad game but i found it rather short for such price, so im not particulalry excited about the game itself, but it added 18 new achievements in case you were also wondering why your count of perfected games dropped)

derExperte

It's akin to posting thanks for ModBot giveaways. We stopped doing that for a reason. Birthday-giveaways are supercool of course, not shitting on anyone doing that, what then usually follows is the problem.

PMs would be a good thing perhaps. That or people making two way posts. Giving happy birthdays while still talking about something else as well.

I agree and then went back to fix my post :p

Wait, shouldn't talking about talking about birthdays also include steam talk?

Oh, I got one. If I launch tw3 from exe with steam closed, will I not get Steam achievements?

Chariot

Pokemans? In MY Steam?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/351040/

Looks awesome, made by Undead Labs (State of Decay)
I always wondered why there were no significant Pokemon clones on PC.

edit: Ah dev said in the forum regarind the pokemon comparisons:
What we have in common with other creature games is... the game genre. So there are some things you would expect to be similar.

But not all, say, shooters are the same. You should expect different mechanics, different story, and different feel.

I actually try to warn really hardcore Pokemon fans that this isn't the game they might expect. Our combat is real time and fast, and having the warden (that's you) be part of the fight adds a very different dimension.

In general the PVP is a unique experience. People who try draft mode in the Arena tend to come out of it looking like they've been on a roller coaster ride.

Anyway, it's easier to just try it than to have me explain it ;) I've got some keys left. Not tons, but some - feel free to email me at sanya at undeadlabs.com and see if there are any left.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/351040/discussions/0/618457398980275900/#c618458030651077615

Dr Dogg

Considering Undead Labs took one of the most scalable engines on the planet in CryEngine 3 and fuck that into a cocked hat I think I'd be holding off on any of their future projects until it's out in the wild first.

I'm at that awkward point where I have a majority of the cards available but not all the good ones I'd want. So opening a new pack usually yield 4 (if not 5) duplicate cards that I have to disenchant. It's mildly frustrating to see gold getting wasted like that, and I'd imagine it would be somewhat infuriating to spend real money and get this result. And I've already spent more real money on the game than I'd want to admit.

Still, I do have some decks up and running so it would be fun to play against you. I'm not particularly good at this (or any) game so maybe it'll end up being a fair contest?

*welp* well when I said I had an unhealthy addiction I kind of meant and the smaller end of the whale scale. So more like a Sperm whale rather than a Blue whale (if this crackers analogy even works).

That should be pretty much the box quote for every Witcher game.

So really the box should have read...

I have a bunch of old stupid non steam stuff to give away.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 1 steam key, and 4 Origin keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Really, this is old junk. I'll be surprised if anyone takes them. You are doing me a favor by taking them from me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- If you trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. More power too ya.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Sims 3 Date Night -- MB-E7687314AFB5E1D6 - Taken by Eanan. 1 entrants total.
The Sims 3 -- MB-2306BACCEB067488 - Taken by LuuKyK. 6 entrants total.
The Sims 3 Late Night -- MB-31B070A5ADCC1A33 - Taken by Belgarion. 2 entrants total.
The Sims 3 High End Loft Stuff -- MB-AC1035A344276AF2 - Taken by voodooray. 2 entrants total.
Gotham City Impostors: Professional Kit -- MB-AABDC4ED6938A23A - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.

The Sims 3 games and expansion packs will require you to have an origin account. You do that by going to www.origin.com. Then you have to go to http://www.thesims3.com/ because unlike steam, you have to go to a seperate web site other than the origin clinet to make these work. Why? I don't know, its EA, thats why. Then go to your account page https://store.thesims3.com/myAccount.html and select redeem a code. Then you have to go back to your origin client, refreash and then you can install. Isn't that lovely? Hmmm?

I also have a Broken Age OUYA key. If you have one and what to pitty it by playing something on it, just email me. First come, first serve.

t1432311375z1.png

*welp* well when I said I had an unhealthy addiction I kind of meant and the smaller end of the whale scale. So more like a Sperm whale rather than a Blue whale (if this crackers analogy even works).

Everyone starts there :p

Next thing you know you've spent a couple of hundred dollars opening packs of digital cards and you end up contemplating your decisions in life.

On the bright side, you can take solace in the fact that you will never truly be a blue whale.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
WHAT WE ARE UP TO - 5/22/15

It’s been a busy 4 weeks since KILLING FLOOR 2 hit Steam Early Access. We've been paying close attention to your comments and digesting all of the great feedback and bug reporting that has been coming through to us via the forums and our social sites. Please keep it coming as it’s helping us prioritize and determine what we work on next!

We're in the midst of finalizing & testing a new patch now and we hope to get this released and into the wild within a matter of days. A couple of weeks ago we gave you a small glimpse of the new map (Volter Manor) that will be included in the patch. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new map (and seeing more of the great video content people have been creating). In addition to Volter Manor we also have a special surprise planned for those who already own KF1 and have been asking about some of the “classic voices” from the original Killing Floor… “I'm trying to heal you, not shag you!”

KF2_May_Manor_0003.jpg
KF2_May_Manor_0007.jpg
KF2_May_Manor_0008.jpg

We’ve also heard from lots of you who really loved the Item Hunt & Achievements from Killing Floor so we’re pleased to report that they’ll be included in the patch for all the maps! There are also some other fixes in the patch that we’ve addressed based on the feedback we’ve been getting from you. More on those specifics when the update is live and we post the final change list.

We’re already at work on the second (and much larger) Early Access content update. We don’t have an exact release date for it yet but it's coming soon and we plan on sharing loads of information and visual goodies about it starting in the next couple of weeks. We’ve been monitoring your feedback and analyzing lots of quantitative game data and we’re digging into some of the existing systems and making changes and refinements (Melee, hit zones, perk tuning, UI, SDK support, etc… just to name a few). More new maps are coming as are new perks, so rest assured that there’s A LOT going on here at Tripwire HQ. We’re excited by the initial great reaction to Killing Floor 2 and we’re just getting started! Watch this space for LOTS of exciting news coming to you on a regular basis.

Lastly, we've realized just how many people are interested in translating the game into their native language, so we are going to make all the text easily available through the Steam Translation Server (http://translation.steampowered.com/index.php) over the coming weeks. That will be primed with the existing translations, along with the volunteer contributions we've already had for other languages. If you want to get involved and help translate more of KF2, get yourself registered on STS (if you aren't already).
- See more at: http://tripwireinteractive.com/news/new-dev-update.aspx#sthash.pTG4nHjO.dpuf

niiiiice :D

Rafy

So I got an email about a new kickstarter that is going on and it looks really interesting. I did not think much of it at first but then when they showed actual footage of the game I was actually surprised by how much I liked the visuals. The game is called Rump! and it already has a steam page. It is scheduled to be released this October and there is a demo available on said Steam page. It is a jump and run game, at least that's what the devs describe it as.

The game is running on the latest Unreal Engine 4 Build. Developers have committed to providing new content every month. The game also has a multiplayer mode. The studio has hired a musician and he is composing them and original soundtrack.

Kickstarter Page | Steam Page

Not a big fan of the banner art they chose but I guess it's not as important as the game itself. It could grow on me with time.

dani_dc

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dani_dc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Paper Sorcerer -- MB-21105EB367CA43C5 - Taken by fenners. 4 entrants total. - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total. - Taken by fenners. 4 entrants total.

t1432307295z1.png

Turns out I already owned Paper Sorcerer, so here you go for anyone that might have missed it in the bundle.

Well it's 100% mobile UI, so not really usable on KB&M.

Also because of F2P, monsters are captured using keys bought using real money. (I don't know if/how you can earn in-game)

It's quite different from pokemon, since it's real-time and not turn-based.

Interest killed. Removed from my WL :(

I'm about a couple of hours into Max Payne 2 and I always forget how I can only play these games for an hour max before I just need a break. There's only so much slowmo diving shootie corridor action that I can handle before I've had my fill.

Still, i really love the noir stuff and I really REALLY like the non-shooting parts of the game. You can tell that Remedy really learned from Max Payne 1's pacing issues and also from the TERRIBLE dream sequences in the first game.The non-shootie parts are not only enjoyable from a pacing point of view but they really got creative with these stages.

Also, they took the fictional TV and radio stuff to a new level with MP2. Address Unknown by itself is worth the pennies this game goes for, hah.

For the 1 person that still might be interested, there are Steam Community Guides for both getting the game to work in proper widescreen and how to get the game working on a controller. The controller stuff works surprisingly well, tbh.

dani_dc

Turns out I already owned Paper Sorcerer, so here you go for anyone that might have missed it in the bundle.

Welp, got 5 PM's from several mod bots saying:

modbot said:
Kifimbo claimed your Paper Sorcerer key. There were 1 entrants.
fenners claimed your Paper Sorcerer key. There were 4 entrants.

Thanks again for being generous.

So I apologize for any issues caused :(

Asgaro

WHY - why is Firefox the default browser on Ubuntu??

It crashes so much. I'm utterly disgusted! How can one be productive??

I normally use Windows and Chrome, but now I have to use Ubuntu a lot for my master's thesis.
You would think since FF is the default installed OS it runs stable, right?
But nope. Piece of SHIT is what is it!!

So glad Chrome exists: in case 1 tab goes bad, at least the whole browser won't crash!
FF is so outdated with their all-tabs-run-in-the-same-process. One fault in the whole process and bam, the whole castle goes down.
And the UI feels sluggish, especially when other tabs are still loading. Never have this in Chrome.

Chrome 4 lyfe.
Guess I'll install Chromium in Ubuntu.

Someone else experience with Ubuntu + FF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom