• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
WHY - why is Firefox the default browser on Ubuntu??

It crashes so much. I'm utterly disgusted! How can one be productive??

I normally use Windows and Chrome, but now I have to use Ubuntu a lot for my master's thesis.
You would think since FF is the default installed OS it runs stable, right?
But nope. Piece of SHIT is what is it!!

So glad Chrome exists: in case 1 tab goes bad, at least the whole browser won't crash!
FF is so outdated with their all-tabs-run-in-the-same-process. One fault in the whole process and bam, the whole castle goes down.
And the UI feels sluggish, especially when other tabs are still loading. Never have this in Chrome.

Chrome 4 lyfe.
Guess I'll install Chromium in Ubuntu.

Someone else experience with Ubuntu + FF?

I'm running 14.04 LTS Ubuntu on my laptop and still use Firefox on it. I've seen a crash a month on average with light use. If I did more intense browsing, it's possible it might crash more frequently. As it is, it's pretty much a GAF/Wiki/Feedly machine with Clementine in the background as the only other thing running.

baterism

I normally use Windows and Chrome, but now I have to use Ubuntu a lot for my master's thesis.
You would think since FF is the default installed OS it runs stable, right?
But nope. Piece of SHIT is what is it!!

So glad Chrome exists: in case 1 tab goes bad, at least the whole browser won't crash!
FF is so outdated with their all-tabs-run-in-the-same-process. One fault in the whole process and bam, the whole castle goes down.
And the UI feels sluggish, especially when other tabs are still loading. Never have this in Chrome.

Chrome 4 lyfe.

Someone else experience with Ubuntu + FF?

I use FF both on Win7 and Ubuntu 14.04, I don't remember it even crash once. As for crash on Ubuntu, could it be the flash plugin?

Asgaro

I'm running 14.04 LTS Ubuntu on my laptop and still use Firefox on it. I've seen a crash a month on average with light use. If I did more intense browsing, it's possible it might crash more frequently. As it is, it's pretty much a GAF/Wiki/Feedly machine with Clementine in the background as the only other thing running.

Interesting.
I use 14.10, and since that's a non-LTS version, maybe that could be partially the cause...

But yes, I do intense browsing so that can be it: aside from using it for work, I now also use it for entertainment since I don't bother to reboot into Windows.
So that could mean:
- lots of tabs trying to open in a short time (middle mouse click spamming).
- opening YT vids in background to buffer.

Chariot

B9CdnCX.jpg

Asgaro

I use FF both on Win7 and Ubuntu 14.04, I don't remember it even crash once. As for crash on Ubuntu, could it be the flash plugin?

The last few crashes you see in the logs are indeed while trying to start a particular embedded YT video.
I don't remember the cause of the other crashes... In the future, I'll remember to check whether it's Flash player related all the time.

Dr Dogg

Did mobile gaming kill Bambi's mum or something recently? Why all the hostility? Is it because various Japanese companies are moving that direction (which I'd imagine is more to do with keep themselves financially stable in a booming market that treachery)? Lots of 'I don't like mobile gaming' type posts everywhere, and lots of banned peeps in the 'Stop picking on mobile' thread. God knows what they must think of some of the stuff that gets released on Steam then, not that anyone really care what some folk think when it's nothing more than a put down post.

Everyone starts there :p

Next thing you know you've spent a couple of hundred dollars opening packs of digital cards and you end up contemplating your decisions in life.

On the bright side, you can take solace in the fact that you will never truly be a blue whale.

Yikes! I don't even think my Steam spending has reached that amount and that was in one night! And he owned all the regular cards already? Think I'll cancel my credit cards now just in case.

That's more of a river than a...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Firefox is the default because it was the most open source when Ubuntu began (and remains the most open-source of the major browsers right now). They've had discussions about changing it to Chrome or Chromium, but it just never seems to happen.

Anyway, Chromium is fine and in the repo. You can also download the regular Chrome directly from Google. It'll add the repository into your sources list and will update just like all your regular Ubuntu software.

Dr Dogg

Speaking of popular movements in gaming that some love to hate for no reason, just signed into kickstarter for the first time in a week and I'm swamped with updates and surveys to fill out. Have I really backed this many projects this year alone already? Eh what ever Shadowrun Hong Kong's first sneak peak looks awesome.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I decided to reinstall tf2 but when it was done it instead said I had downloaded steamvr :/

Is it suppossed to install steamvr with tf2?

Nzyme32

I decided to reinstall tf2 but when it was done it instead said I had downloaded steamvr :/

Is it suppossed to install steamvr with tf2?

Unless you want to use VR, you shouldn't have to. Regardless though, it is a tiny download via the tools section. Maybe only around 20MB

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam Client Beta Update - May 21

General
Shortened delay when reconnecting to Steam after waking from sleep or changing networks
Reduced amount of disk space necessary to decrypt a preloaded game
Fixed the "Quit" option in the offline-mode startup dialog box to quit Steam immediately
Fixed odd menu behavior when clicking between Steam windows while a menu is visible

Mac OS X
Reduced energy impact of leaving Steam running in the background

My guess is that Steam now deletes a pre-loaded depot when it has been unpacked, as opposed to the previous (well, current if you're not opted into the beta) approach where the pre-loaded depots remain on-disk until all of it has been unpacked.

RS4-

Since it's my birthday (and I'm way too old for my own good), I thought I'd pass along a little something to GAF as a way to celebrate.
Here's a game from my wishlist and hopefully off one of yours

Happy Birthday! I hope its baddest of rats 2.

Dunno if I should get it just for the sake of owning it. But if I do, do I spend the extra 2 bucks on the all you can eat edition?

dex3108

Man W3 bummed me out :( First issue was that quest Dirty Funds wasn't marked done when i found what i should find because i didn't read letter before i found item. But ok that was fixed reloading save and loosing only 15 minutes.

Then i saw that one quest was marked as failed and it was marked failed because i had item in my inventory that i should gain doing that small quest. That way i missed few dialogue options and cutscenes. :(

Maniac

Banned
Man W3 bummed me out :( First issue was that quest Dirty Funds wasn't marked done when i found what i should find because i didn't read letter before i found item. But ok that was fixed reloading save and loosing only 15 minutes.

Then i saw that one quest was marked as failed and it was marked failed because i had item in my inventory that i should gain doing that small quest. That way i missed few dialogue options and cutscenes. :(

Dirty Funds hit me too. Should be fixed in the next update iirc. Can't say I've had something marked failed, although I have skipped several steps in some missions and the "skip" & "failed" icon is the very same, which is... Slightly annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom