• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Shit! I guess I have to get a refund.

See above. The game itself is region-free; a VPN is just needed to activate the key.

Speaking of Arkham Knight, is it customary for free copies from new GPUs to come with the pre-order bonuses once the game releases?

Nope. That's only happened twice, as far as I'm aware: Arkham Origins, which was actually the result of a mistake as the pre-order DLC was included in the gold master build, and Alien Isolation.

Jawmuncher

why would anyone buy a strategy guide in the internet era

I love getting guys still either for games that I know will be big like Final Fantasy, or ones that will streamline my playthrough like Souls games. Especially if i'm using it as I progress it's just so much more comfortable to go with. Plus they're basically just collector items now.

hmm. Wonder what that means for my pre-order I did like... as soon as it was up on Nuuvem? I'm assuming they'll ONLY get locked keys now?

that's a good assumption. why would WB send them region free keys when they're clearly locking things down?

and that's assuming that they'll be working with Nuuvem at all ever again.

Much like the russian bear, nuuvem was fun while it lasted. I look forward to getting the bats in a year for under $10, like i've done with all of those games on PC

pahamrick

Nope. That's only happened twice, as far as I'm aware: Arkham Origins, which was actually the result of a mistake as the pre-order DLC was included in the gold master build, and Alien Isolation.

Oh well, guess I can do without Harley and the skin pack.

Platy

Not sure if this is the right thread for this ... but I have an extra copy of Ori and The Blind Forest to trade WITHIN LATIN AMERICA ONLY ...anyone want to trade ?

But the combat, wow. I had no clue that it was "rhythm-based".
Hope it gets more "direct" in sequels.

Still pretty much the same in Witcher 2... the only difference is that now it has an offical mapping for a controller, so it plays smoother... one major difference, I think, is that you don't have to level up your abilities to get extra hits on combos for a particular sword, they took that out. I think they also added "heavy/light" attacks, but at the core, it's still "time your button presses/clicks if you want to chain moves".

Maniac

Banned
Still pretty much the same in Witcher 2... the only difference is that now it has an offical mapping for a controller, so it plays smoother... one major difference, I think, is that you don't have to level up your abilities to get extra hits on combos for a particular sword, they took that out. I think they also added "heavy/light" attacks, but at the core, it's still "time your button presses/clicks if you want to chain moves".

Pretty much. It's somewhat the same with W3, too. It's just sort of hidden. I definitely think TW2's is a huge improvement over TW1, as it's a well-disguised rhythm-based combat with gorgeous animations. I also vastly prefer not having the three distinct, static combat styles that were in TW1. That might just be me, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Light and heavy attacks were in TW1, IIRC. Combined with group, they make up the three combat stances you have to choose from.

Edit: Well, "fast" and "strong". Close enough. ;)

Pretty much. It's somewhat the same with W3, too. It's just sort of hidden. I definitely think TW2's is a huge improvement over TW1, as it's a well-disguised rhythm-based combat with gorgeous animations. I also vastly prefer not having the three distinct, static combat styles that were in TW1. That might just be me, though.

Ahh, I forgot there were "stances". I mostly used group stance, I think, so this is why I forgot. So TW2 is streamlined, I guess, but it still feels a lot like TW1 to me.

Light and heavy attacks were in TW1, IIRC. Combined with group, they make up the three combat stances you have to choose from.

Edit: Well, "fast" and "strong". Close enough. ;)

Ahh, that's right... the stances for each sword.
They got rid of that stuff with Y being heavy/group and X being light/single.

Ningen, disappointing since 19XX, specially
females

I tried to gift you KF2, but the fates were not kind and it was a bit out of my price range with all the BS I have going on.
You should've held on to that copy of Ori and saved it for 2k, silly ningen. ;)

Interesting. Before playing Witcher I always assumed the swordplay to be more "direct".
It's still okay though this way. Leveled up a bit and the new animations are cool.

Ops, forgot to ask. If I use a grind/wheatstone on a sword, does the additional damage stay permanent and can I stack that effect?

A bit lazy to look up wiki. Got the cold. Be gentle fed-up-gaf.

Backlogger

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Backlogger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Inside the Gear -- MB-53CD56D0448E1FD7 - Taken by Darth Kupi

Interesting. Before playing Witcher I always assumed the swordplay to be more "direct".
It's still okay though this way. Leveled up a bit and the new animations are cool.

the witcher 1's battle mechanic is mostly you watching your mouse pointer and waiting for it to change into a lightning bolt or something. It's, ugh, i don't think it's very good at all and much prefer how the fighting is handled in TW2 but i know some folks really like the clunky and mashy nature of the first one's system.

there are all sorts, i suppose

gabbo

Reposting for mid dayGAF:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (gabbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

w5Bqht8.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-78EC804A3A1A6CB1 - Taken by rtcn63. 77 entrants total.

t1432383014z1.png

Ops, forgot to ask. If I use a grind/wheatstone on a sword, does the additional damage stay permanent and can I stack that effect?

A bit lazy to look up wiki. Got the cold. Be gentle fed-up-gaf.

Whetstones/oils/potions should all have a duration listed.
When consumed, they buff you for x:xx -- where x is the duration of time (usually in minutes).

Witcher 2 is a lot more clear about this, I think, sa it shows all your buffs with timers under them indicating how long they will continue to remain active. I don't remember Witcher doing this.

Dr Dogg

And now i will have this red mark hunting me for the rest of the game :(

Oh well i survived one in W2 and i will survive this one. I really don't want to reload save from two days ago.

Consider it part of your "realism" experience. If you're going to scrub the HUD from existence then fucking up quests from time to time is realistic too, no one is perfect (no matter what they think). Doing all that to make exploration more organic then save scrubbing when you don't get an outcome you like is kind of diametrically opposed to each other.

And now i will have this red mark hunting me for the rest of the game :(

Oh well i survived one in W2 and i will survive this one. I really don't want to reload save from two days ago.

I have a red mark on defeating the first contact enemy. Totally defeated it. I think the log was just bugged.

Since it's my birthday (and I'm way too old for my own good), I thought I'd pass along a little something to GAF as a way to celebrate.
Here's a game from my wishlist and hopefully off one of yours

Happy birthday!

To chime in with the Witcher 1 thoughts, I just started it and I'm really enjoying it. The combat took me a few moments to understand but it isn't as dreadful as some make it out to be. I do yearn for something like Arkham or Shadow or Mordor but I can't see myself giving up on the game because of the combat, especially when I learn more magic.

The transition to the first area outside the castle (I need to learn names :p) reminded me of Dragon Age: Origins which is no bad thing at all. The voice acting is great, even if I skip about half of it after reading the subtitles and it doesn't look too bad for an old game.

the best thing the Witcher 1 has is that i'm pretty sure Uncle Scrooge from Ducktales does some of the NPC voices.

his voice always makes me feel like im 8 years old again.

the witcher 1's battle mechanic is mostly you watching your mouse pointer and waiting for it to change into a lightning bolt or something. It's, ugh, i don't think it's very good at all and much prefer how the fighting is handled in TW2 but i know some folks really like the clunky and mashy nature of the first one's system.

there are all sorts, i suppose
Haha, this is so true :D
That's exactly what I am doing in combat. Sure I could look at enemy movement to dodge but at this point it is absolutely not needed, so the cursor it is, haha.

Have to agree with milena though. Has something soothing when you don't have to circle-strafe, dodge, attack all the time but just "go with the flow of combat".

It's nice to experience but sadly imo ages not well. Gold-standard for swordplay is souls-series for me. It's very technical if you want it to be as well.
Whetstones/oils/potions should all have a duration listed.
When consumed, they buff you for x:xx -- where x is the duration of time (usually in minutes).

Witcher 2 is a lot more clear about this, I think, sa it shows all your buffs with timers under them indicating how long they will continue to remain active. I don't remember Witcher doing this.
Remember on the Cat potion precisely saying how many minutes it lasts but not on the stones sadly.

Another very cryptic thing is how blacksmiths work. I seriously doubted my inteligence when I could not find a way to upgrade my existing weapons at one with runes. had to look up the web to find a forum post saying that I need three runes to forge a new weapon and existing ones cannot be enhanced with them. From the in-game description though that was exactly what I got.

From what I hear, I can't wait to play the Witcher 2&3.

dex3108

Consider it part of your "realism" experience. If you're going to scrub the HUD from existence then fucking up quests from time to time is realistic too, no one is perfect (no matter what they think). Doing all that to make exploration more organic then save scrubbing when you don't get an outcome you like is kind of diametrically opposed to each other.

Well they could just marked it as done because i got item and just remove first cutscene with herbalist.

I have a red mark on defeating the first contact enemy. Totally defeated it. I think the log was just bugged.

There is bug with Treasure Hunt quests. You can't finish them in Quest Log if you find treasure before you trigger first clue.

Did you try to go to her and ask her regardless?

Yes and i was able to get another quest from her not related to this one. Only thing that was different is missing cutscene that you get if you visit her before you find item.

Haha, this is so true :D
That's exactly what I am doing in combat. Sure I could look at enemy movement to dodge but at this point it is absolutely not needed, so the cursor it is, haha.

Have to agree with milena though. Has something soothing when you don't have to circle-strafe, dodge, attack all the time but just "go with the flow of combat".

It's nice to experience but sadly imo ages not well. Gold-standard for swordplay is souls-series for me. It's very technical if you want it to be as well.
Remember on the Cat potion precisely saying how many minutes it lasts but not on the stones sadly.

Another very cryptic thing is how blacksmiths work. I seriously doubted my inteligence when I could not find a way to upgrade my existing weapons at one with runes. had to look up the web to find a forum post saying that I need three runes to forge a new weapon and existing ones cannot be enhanced with them. From the in-game description though that was exactly what I got.

From what I hear, I can't wait to play the Witcher 2&3.

If that's the case then, yes, you'll absolutely love the combat in TW2 & TW3 as it has that tough but fair way to it that the Souls games have, too. A lot of dodging, hitting, rolling, using your magic, etc. It's still an RPG and doesn't feel quite as good as the souls games but it's leaps and bounds better than TW1.

Asgaro

Firefox is the default because it was the most open source when Ubuntu began (and remains the most open-source of the major browsers right now). They've had discussions about changing it to Chrome or Chromium, but it just never seems to happen.

Anyway, Chromium is fine and in the repo. You can also download the regular Chrome directly from Google. It'll add the repository into your sources list and will update just like all your regular Ubuntu software.

Thanks for mentioning that.
Then I'll use Google Chrome instead of Chromium, since it has Flash Player integrated by default.

edit: Chromium doesn't even update itself automatically, so definitely going Google Chrome!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I remember Pac-Man CE

...and then felt pretty bummed that no one in GAF told me that I should have gotten the complete edition :mad:

Parsnip

Hehe, got the Butcher of Blaviken achievement in Witcher 3. By setting some rats on fire.

Man this game is good, and man I'm going to sink a lot of hours in it.

Shadownet

Banned
I bought the Collector Edition Strategy Guide for Witcher 3 cause its a big ass game with a lot to do and I wanted to get the 96 pages encyclopedia that came with it.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Eschalon: Book 1 -- MB-2EC2174338923175 - Taken by Natty1. 2 entrants total.
Eschalon: Book 2 -- MB-A54EB360D789F549 - Taken by lindarasta. 1 entrants total.
Eschalon: Book 3 -- MB-E93465506DE6B2C9 - Taken by darkchewie. 3 entrants total.

t1432323769z1.png

i'm still holding out for the whole series of LiS to be out. I just don't have the memory or the patience to wait for each of those releases. Rather play them all at once and see if Life really is that Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom