• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's not true. I regularly use 'My Steam Wallet' followed by 'My PayPal'.

It could be based on region, I'm not sure. If I go to check out and select Paypal, it will always try to charge 100% of the purchase to Paypal, even if I have available wallet funds. Even if I'm just $0.01 short and need to cover the rest in Paypal, it will charge the whole amount to Paypal and leave my wallet funds alone.

As someone else mentioned, if I need more than $5 to split I'll always put the exact amount I need in my wallet first using Enhanced Steam, then check out.

Parsnip

d4game_2015_05_29_18_20_31_498_by_majorparsnip-d8v74as.jpg

D4 demo seems to work fine over here. Played a little bit and didn't find any problems with performance or anything else.
Launcher doesn't have resolutions above 1080p, but you can bypass the launcher by using the main executable and edit the ini directly for 4K and such. The post-processing outline kind of hinders the IQ a bit though.

fantomena

Witcher 3 has made me so fascinated about the Witche runiverse I decided to find the books and redownloading Witcher: EE.

Not sure if I will play the first Witcher though as last time the combat system was so freaking horrible and confusing.

Witcher 3 has made me so fascinated about the Witche runiverse I decided to find the books and redownloading Witcher: EE.

Not sure if I will play the first Witcher though as last time the combat system was so freaking horrible and confusing.

Good reads. I highly recommend them. Just don't skip the sword of destiny just because they skipped releasing a legit English version the first time around. Translations are online and it has some important content and characters.

fantomena

Good reads. I highly recommend them. Just don't skip the sword of destiny just because they skipped releasing a legit English version the first time around. Translations are online and it has some important content and characters.

Is there any chronoligal list for the books/novels? Heard about The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, but also came over Blood of Elves and some novels.

Is there any chronoligal list for the books/novels? Heard about The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, but also came over Blood of Elves and some novels.

Last wish, sword of destiny, blood of elves, time of contempt, baptism of fire, the tower of the swallow, the lady of the lake.

Vlad

Time for two more cents, as I just finished Outland, or more appropriately: Carpal Tunnel: The Game.

It's basically a platformer mixed with Ikaruga.

Call me picky, but I still get annoyed by PC games without configurable controls. Most of the time, I don't mind, as most developers have the sense to have sensible default keybindings. Nine times out of ten, I'm just fine with how the game is set up by default. Maybe a little tweak to sensitivity here or rebinding the middle mouse if I'm playing on a laptop without a middle mouse button, but most of the time the developers get it right.

Not so with the people behind Outland. While most of the 2d PC platformers I've played recently use the arrow keys for movement and keys in the ZXC area for actions, allowing for your hands to be reasonably far apart and the wrists to be kept straight, Outland decides to be a rebel and go for WASD/Space for movement, and IJKL for actions. Or, to be fair, IOHJKL for actions. I found this to be insanely clunky. Even worse, there's no option to rebind the controls, just the choice between two seperate, but fairly similar, sets of bindings. So, boo to that right from the start.

With that out of the way, the game itself.. it's ok. Like I said above, it's pretty much exactly a 2d platformer crossed with Ikaruga. Every enemy in the game is either light or dark, you can switch yourself between the two polarities, you can't get hurt by bullets of the same polarity, and you can only hurt enemies of the opposite polarity. Simple enough, and while I initially enjoyed myself, as the game went on, little things started to annoy me...

Lots of the enemies just have clunky attack patterns. It reminds me a bit of They Bleed Pixels. The game starts out trying to go for DMC-lite in combat (juggles, basic 3-hit combos), and on the very basic enemies, it works and is really satisfying. On everything else, the attack patterns don't really allow for it, giving the game kind of a disjointed feel.

I think what really ended up annoying me was that how the polarity system worked in regards to damaging enemies. In Ikaruga, you could always damage enemies with your shots, but you did significantly more damage if you were the opposite polarity. Since enemies usually fired shots of their own polarity, there was an interesting risk/reward system at play. You could take longer to take the enemy down but be safe, or risk being blown up but do way more damage. In Outland, most of the enemies have melee attacks, and can hit you regardless of what your polarity is, and you can ONLY damage them if you're the opposite polarity. This wouldn't be so bad if you weren't also trying to weave through the clouds of bullets that the various turrets are firing at you at the same time. There are several times when you're stuck in a cloud of Light bullets facing off against a light enemy, and there's nothing you can do but wait for the cloud of bullets to pass, or lure the enemy to a different area and kill it there. Unlike Ikaruga, which always felt like you were navigating carefully-designed tough-but-fair patterns, Outland just ends up feeling a little sloppy in comparison. The problem gets even worse in the final area when [spoiler\the enemies all switch polarities at regular intervals. This leads to many situations where you're swinging away at a monster expecting to be able to kill it in the normal three hits, it changes polarity at the last second and ends up hitting you instead. This got old fast[/spoiler]

You also gain skills as the game progresses, which has lead some to call it a Metroidvania. Expecting this when starting the game will lead to disappointment, as the game is VERY linear. Yes, you get abilities that open new areas, but it's not like there are other routes you can take in the meantime. You progress through a level, see a wall you can't break yet, pass it, eventually get the skill that breaks the wall, get lead back to the area you were in earlier through a different path, break the wall, and continue. Extra attention is drawn to the game's linearity by an ever-present swarm of... butterflies?.. that shows which way you're supposed to be going next. Now, linearity isn't a bad thing, but just don't go in expecting lots of exlporation outside of the occasional hidden room off the main passageway.

Also, the butterflies are absolutely critical due to the game's artstyle. As much as the game tries to differentiate areas with different backgrounds, most of what you're going to be looking at are black silhouettes with various colored highlights. Don't get me wrong, I like the look, but it does tend to get a bit repetitive after a while, and there were several times that I was in an area I had already gone through, but didn't realize it, since all the rooms look too similar.

Complaints aside, though, it wasn't all bad. All the boss battles were pretty interesting and very challenging, especially the last two. There are still lots of interesting sections in the game that require some clever assessment of the bullet patterns and timing your polarity switches. Still, by the time I was halfway through the final set of rooms, I was ready for it to be over.

Maniac

Banned
Completely off topic - but I just noticed that the Victory tune in StarCraft 2 Wings of Liberty is a total rip off of an Opeth solo

To be fair, Blizzard was more or less built on ripping off stuff, so... They're just continuing tradition!
Not a fan of the new CSGO pic

header.jpg

Looks way too call of duty for me :(

pls Valve bring back old one

Haven't they changed the picture with all of the operations? I atleast seem to recall them also changing it with Breakout or Vanguard... Or am I mistaken?

:s

Saty

Lords of the Fallen 2 won't be released until 2017, and German developer Deck 13 - co-developer of the original - will not be involved.

CI Games boss Marek Tyminski also told me at Digital Dragons in Poland that sales of Lords of the Fallen 1 had passed 900,000.

"It's doing fine," he said of the original game, which launched in October 2014. "We are over 900,000 units. Not yet 1m but we are approaching that. And definitely it's a good start for the new IP. Definitely we can say that Lords of the Fallen 1 proved the IP made sense."
More: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-29-lords-of-the-fallen-2-will-launch-in-2017

Steamspy puts it at ~210K copies for the PC version.

Miguel81

I do need to pick up D&D: Chronicles of Mystara one of these days.

The controls felt like they had a bit of lag -- I used the DS4's dpad for movement. Not sure if they were originally that way or something else. My memories of the arcade version are fuzzy.

baterism

How are my brofessors doing?

What's the matter broccoli?
XS5LK.gif

My only gripe on AT:
The way AT differentiate the attack type based on how long the button pressed is quite annoying. I want to hit enemy and the avatar started spinning his umbrella.
I played AT again today, Steam overlay on, vsync on, AA-on, full screen on. And voila! no crash, nothing nada. Everything is smooth. I alt+tab like madman and it still ok.What the hell happened before, then? Did this game updated and I don't aware of it.

yuraya

Haven't they changed the picture with all of the operations? I atleast seem to recall them also changing it with Breakout or Vanguard... Or am I mistaken?

:s

Did they? I don't ever recall them changing it on the store page or your library. I haven't really played it much since Phoenix. Anyways pic is still ugly and done lazy imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom