• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's not the fully updated image for Train Simulator 2015.

pLCYI4j.png

Not an accurate simulation. You need to pay at least 300x of that price to get a single locomotive.

I didn't realize that Technobabylon was done by the folks behind Gemini Rue, which then reminded me that I need to play that game.

But, it hasn't changed in price on iOS in over a year, and I'm fairly sure it was in a bundle that I missed on PC.

Eternia

Valdis Story got a new update, it added two more characters fixed things and all the content is in the game now.
Cool, I should try some of the other characters at some point. Really fun game but I got a little burnt out S-ranking on hard and missed an item for the S-rank adventure achievement. That still stings a little.

fallout

oh man don't even get me started on the dlc. like what the fuck is up with the dlc for those simulator games? why doesn't anyone give them a lot of shit about it like how everyone does with the big 3 pubs + WB? When a game has as much dlc as that its just completely unappealing to me as a new customer regardless if its cosmetic or not, just seeing a huge ass list like that completely destroys any interest i have in said game.
DLC doesn't automatically equate "bad" or "money grab" or whatever. As has been said, the big appeal of Train Simulator to most folks are the trains. As such, a lot of time and care goes into accurately replicating them digitally. It's business model that works for the developers and the consumers.

So has anyone who preordered The Old Blood on Nuuvem actually gotten a code and been able to preload?

Personally, I'd like to get a head start on over 30.fucking.gigabytes.

Dsyndrome

I understand the hobby-nature of Train Simulator. Since I can't access Steam at the moment, what differentiates the year-to-year release of those titles? Say an enthusiast goes balls to the wall with 2015; what happens when 2016 comes out?

I understand the hobby-nature of Train Simulator. Since I can't access Steam at the moment, what differentiates the year-to-year release of those titles? Say an enthusiast goes balls to the wall with 2015; what happens when 2016 comes out?

It seems they give you a free upgrade on the base game every year. I bought Train Sim 2013 as a gift for someone, but since it was never redeemed I gave it to myself. Now I have the 2015 version in my library.

madjoki

Updated to latest version. They rotate DLC that comes with base game, so buying yearly might be cheaper if you insist on having all DLC
(lol)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Speaking of Humble Disappointment, any chance of Monument Valley making it to Steam?

there's no reason for it not to (other than devs not wanting to do it for some strange reason) - it's a Unity game

NG28

Is Shadow of Mordor DLC any good? I want to just buy vanilla off nuuvem, but I'll wait for possible ultimate edition if they are good.

Aaron D.

As has been said above, the amount of man-hours that goes into modeling a single engine or route in Train Simulator is pretty staggering. The individual prices are steep but I think it's relative to the work put into creating the content.

For instance, the Pacific Surfliner route goes from LA to San Diego. That's 130 miles worth of assets, including every unique stop along the way. These aren't compressed miles, they're 1:1, with art assets that mirror the real-world environments. They do a good job too, as my father lives less than 2 miles from the Carlsbad Village stop and I recognize the local landmarks.

That's a lot of content, not even counting the various Amtrak trains/cars/liveries, etc., in addition to the scenarios (gameplay trials) and such.

So all said, while the numbers look outrageous collected on paper, the value proposition based on the work that goes into each piece is legit. Also remember that these individual modules have been in production for close to 10 years, and the devs are constantly updating even the oldest content so they are visually current and compatible with the latest base-game release.

Considering how uber-niche the market is, it's a pretty impressive business model that works for both the devs and the fans. They get some super-high quality material for a fan base that is utterly minuscule in comparison to more popular genres and IPs.

Nzyme32

So it was mentioned on the MKX stream that the PC version will get a patch tomorrow that will bring the PC version "to parity with the console versions" and fix a lot of the problems - Boon has been wrong before though

Salsa

So it was mentioned on the MKX stream that the PC version will get a patch tomorrow that will bring the PC version "to parity with the console versions" and fix a lot of the problems - Boon has been wrong before though

they're toning down the graphics?

Boon seems weirdly detached from the PC version, which is understandable to some extent given that they didn't work on it but it's still his baby, he's gotta bring more to the table than an occasional shrug and deaf ears.

What help does Fallout 3 need, exactly? As far as running it, the "doesn't work on Win7 or higher" message is bullshit now. And you don't really need GFWL for it at all. Hell, last time I played it I forgot it was even there.

Right now, GFWL doesn't work. Thus achievements doesn't work, can't access save files from when GFWL did work, and purchased DLC doesn't work either. From my personal experience, Fallout 3 doesn't play nice with Windows 7 or 8.

Nzyme32

they're toning down the graphics?

Probably going back to 2D

Boon seems weirdly detached from the PC version, which is understandable to some extent given that they didn't work on it but it's still his baby, he's gotta bring more to the table than an occasional shrug and deaf ears.

Yeah. It sounds like Netherealm haven't touched the PC version and left it entirely to HVS, it's gone crap, and the stream seems to suggest Netherealm have recently worked with HVS to get everything fixed up in time for this new character release.

In fact, that is the first time PC has been mentioned in their streams. Can't help but think that the only reason why they said it was because Twitch chat was losing it's shit spamming "#FIX PC"

Arthea

One Manga day is actually
more a week than a day, unless bad ending
It's so good
at being bad
, that I wasn't even bored and finished it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Life is Strange Ep 2 came out 6 weeks ago. Dontnod pls
announce a release date.

I've actually been wondering about this too. Either it's going to be like "surprise!" out of nowhere, or it's going to be late. Of course if it's late then we're going to get a whole string of "see, that's why I don't buy episodic games until they're all released" posts here on GAF.

Personally, I just started a new run through The Walking Dead
on PS4
. That game is legit good, but still isn't as good as Life is Strange.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Snx4rIk.jpg

Lost Planet 3 [and Yaiba ; _ ; ehh] developer Spark Unlimited no longer making games, lays off employees

John Butrovich, chief technical officer at Spark Unlimited, confirmed to Polygon that "it's the end of Spark as a game developer." Principal members of the studio "have decided to move on to other things," Butrovich said, and confirmed that Spark Unlimited co-founder Craig Allen resigned as president and CEO from the company late last year "to pursue other ventures and interests."

:(

Copons

Pressure Steam skin is finally officially out.

http://www.hydra.tf/pressure/

So far I'm digging it!

Also, after having ditched skins because I couldn't bother updating them, for the first time I've realized I can just do it with git (Air too, but that's tooooo bright and there's tooooo much wasted space) and I'm an happy little man now.

EDIT:
also, as some of you may know from my last screenshot, I've been playing a bit of Katamari Damacy on PCSX2 and just wanted to say it looks great!
Most of the game is like all flat colored polygons, so its textures don't look like a bad nightmare from the N64 era. Great game and oooh how I missed that soundtrack!

Turfster

Man, fucking Nvidia.
So late adopters get Witcher 3 and Batman Kumquat, and early adopters had to pick between FurCry4, AssUnitard & The Krewl?

Phinor

Man, fucking Nvidia.
So late adopters get Witcher 3 and Batman Kumquat, and early adopters had to pick between FurCry4, AssUnitard & The Krewl?

Early adopters got nothing but a card that wasn't even what they advertised. Ubisoft games were added later, well after the release.

So I just bought Hatoful Boyfriend. That was a decision I wrestled long and hard with; dating Simulators sound like one of the least fun genres imaginable. You guys better not be lying to me.

Early adopters got nothing but a card that wasn't even what they advertised. Ubisoft games were added later, well after the release.

Pretty much par for the course. Early adopters get the short end of the stick when it comes to everything...except being able to have the thing early, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom