• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Still, it won't be a big upgrade worth calling for this price. Mind: Path to Thalamus costs less than this "mod" and will get an engine upgrade from UE3 to UE4 and Oculus Rift Support and the upgrade will be free. It is like as if someone got the first HL and got this BMS upgrade for free.

That's a terrible analogy.

MUnited83

For you.
I really don't see why you call it a terrible analogy. Anyway, I hope they at least finish the Xen part to be at least decent.

Just reread what you wrote. "It is like as if someone got the first HL and got this BMS upgrade for free."

Like, WUT?. It's nothing like that. The difference between the first HL and BMS is not a "engine upgrade" lol.

Saty

Valve's goal to have nothing to do with their SP ip's is shaping up nicely. Allow modders sell HL1 remake on Steam; license Portal for Pinball and LEGO Dimensions. We aren't going to create anything new in those properties, so sure have a go at it.

Knurek

As someone who never played the original Half Life, can I assume that this is now the "definitive" version of the game? Or does the fan-remake aspect of the game change too many of the original elements?

It's definitely not a definitive version.
Black Mesa changes a lot of things other that the visuals, ammo capacity for all weapons is reduced, while enemy HP is increased, resulting in a 'survival horror' type experience.
Which would be fine and all if not for the wallhack aimbot AI most of the enemies exhibit.
Whole sections of several levels have been removed, and I'm not talking about Xen levels here.
It was barely worth it for the price of $0, and sure as hell isn't worth it for $20.
Just my $0.02

Valve's goal to have nothing to do with their SP ip's is shaping up nicely. Allow modders sell HL1 remake on Steam; license Portal for Pinball and LEGO Dimensions. We aren't going to create anything new in those properties, so sure have a go at it.

they they do give some sort of shit about their IPs and the content created with it as they cancelled a couple of attempts at an Episode 3. So while they may not be in the business of making it themselves, that doesn't mean they've taken a completely hands-off approach regarding their IPs.

Black Mesa looks pretty neat. I'm not at all interested in the multiplayer, but I'm totally okay with paying for the "full" version of the game considering it has trading cards and Steam achievements.

As someone who never played the original Half Life, can I assume that this is now the "definitive" version of the game? Or does the fan-remake aspect of the game change too many of the original elements?

EDIT: Oh I just read that the story is so far incomplete. Guess I'll be waiting.

The original is still the definitive version, if you can handle the dated graphics that is. In BM a couple of sequences have been changed for example the way you get the crowbar which upset a couple of people. Some levels have missing sections. Weapons have been rebalanced. Enemy is different. etc

Saty

they they do give some sort of shit about their IPs and the content created with it as they cancelled a couple of attempts at an Episode 3. So while they may not be in the business of making it themselves, that doesn't mean they've taken a completely hands-off approach regarding their IPs.

You say that based on what? Talking about direct continuation of Ep2 and not some spin-off ones like they tried with Spector.
Valve has said fuck all about the development of the next HL installment, let alone to say they canceled two versions.

It's definitely not a definitive version.
Black Mesa changes a lot of things other that the visuals, ammo capacity for all weapons is reduced, while enemy HP is increased, resulting in a 'survival horror' type experience.
Which would be fine and all if not for the wallhack aimbot AI most of the enemies exhibit.
Whole sections of several levels have been removed, and I'm not talking about Xen levels here.
It was barely worth it for the price of $0, and sure as hell isn't worth it for $20.
Just my $0.02

Yes indeed. and there is a whole section in Surface Tension chapter that is misisng from BMS (because the devs deemed it wasn't necessary) and some modders (modders for the mod lol) managed to restore it: http://www.pcgamer.com/black-mesa-surface-tension-mod/

at that time ofc and I don't think this mod works with the steam version now due to the supposed "engine upgrade".

You say that based on what? Talking about direct continuation of Ep2 and not some spin-off ones like they tried with Spector.
Valve has said fuck all about the development of the next HL installment, let alone to say they canceled two versions.

well, i think we can count on a couple of hands the developers or publishers who announce that they've cancelled a game that they never announced was in development in the first place. There have been several leaks and asset dumps over the years that show that, yes, there were folks outside of valve working on something related to the halflife series and that it didn't come out for one reason or another.

not sure what you expected given the nature of those developments, really. You want them to announce every single time they cancel a game that you didn't know existed?

MUnited83

For you.
Uhu, this price is so wrong. I mean, I played a bit the free downloadable version they hosted on their site. Just a bit, because I played so much time HL that I really don't want spend time again on it, expecially because I knew that version was not complete.

The job they did were good, some bugs in and there, but good.

And that was free.

Why this is priced 20€? I mean, what they changed from the free version? Did they add so much content to justify a price like this?

And again, this is not complete. I read the description on Early Access section, it seems it's not even sure they'll do Xen if they can't gain so much money from EA to provide a quality content. And this is good (they put quality before anything else), but since they spent several years on those already available levels, there's a high chance they won't release Xen if not in some years and IF Black Mesa will sell well.

Is there around a table of content on what they added from free version? Is free version still available? Because I'm checking the official site and no, there's no free version anymore, just a redirect to Steam to buy this new version.

This should be like 7€, all considered is just a mod of a game played by 99% of PC gamers. Also I can't see any graphics improvement from the version I played.

Here you go.. If you don't like the upgraded version then just don't buy it and play the free version instead, not hard.

The game is not a "mod" of HL1, by the way.

Turfster

Egg Returns Home keys now available for Groupees Ion Robots
Virus Jigglin' Fever keys now available for Groupees BAGB7
500 Years: Act 1 keys now available for Playinjector Autumonium

Uhu, this price is so wrong. I mean, I played a bit the free downloadable version they hosted on their site. Just a bit, because I played so much time HL that I really don't want spend time again on it, expecially because I knew that version was not complete.

The job they did were good, some bugs in and there, but good.

And that was free.

Why this is priced 20€? I mean, what they changed from the free version? Did they add so much content to justify a price like this?

And again, this is not complete. I read the description on Early Access section, it seems it's not even sure they'll do Xen if they can't gain so much money from EA to provide a quality content. And this is good (they put quality before anything else), but since they spent several years on those already available levels, there's a high chance they won't release Xen if not in some years and IF Black Mesa will sell well.

Is there around a table of content on what they added from free version? Is free version still available? Because I'm checking the official site and no, there's no free version anymore, just a redirect to Steam to buy this new version.

This should be like 7€, all considered is just a mod of a game played by 99% of PC gamers. Also I can't see any graphics improvement from the version I played.

It still exists if you want it: http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-mesa/downloads

and get this mod of the mod which adds the missing level in Surface Tension chapter: http://www.pcgamer.com/black-mesa-surface-tension-mod/

It's still up on moddb and Desura, but the devs won't be hosting the free version anymore.

Knurek

CDA_6_2015_okladka_17746.jpg

Quick report for people who can buy this.
Anno 2070 is an Uplay code (of course), might be region restricted.
Wolfenstein is the real deal, DRM-free as far as I can tell. It is set to run with English VO+Polish text by default, but you can easily set it to have English text (took me about 2 minutes of googling to find this, can confirm it works just fine).
Whole deal costs ~$4, sure as hell beats paying $80 for a Steam key from trader (or whatever Wolf09 is worth nowadays).
PLGAF and/or people living near our border - might be worth giving this a try.

MUnited83

For you.
Sorry, but...why are you saying this?
I'm simply discussing, here, as other users are doing. I want just to know if the new, paid version is actually different from the old one, that's it. And even if it is, I still find the price too high for a mod of a 17 years old game, an unofficial mod that is not a remastered (so, non-canon) in any way. Also as someone pointed here, the game had some problems, maybe they managed to polish the build, maybe those issues are still here, dunno, so it would be helpful at least know what someone is paying for.

Uhu, yeah, it looks exactly the same. Why they removed some levels, anyway?

It's not a "mod of a 17 years old game". That's not how mods work. For it to be a "mod" of HL1 it would have to be using the same engine. If you want to call it a mod of something, call it a mod of Half-Life 2 that recreates/remakes the first game in the series.

Uhu, yeah, it looks exactly the same. Why they removed some levels, anyway?

This is a video from free build, for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnV4Wzs4qyk

I really don't know why they cut some levels, maybe they felt rushed at that time, here is the link for one missing level for the free version (in case you missed it in last page): http://www.pcgamer.com/black-mesa-surface-tension-mod/

I really hope they add this missing level and other missing levels + finish Xen insteam version.

You ignored my question.
Yes. To the doghouse with you.

I didn't ignore your question. :( I was playing neverwinter on XBOXONE so I joined the community there in that thread. A lot good it did me I haven't been able to play since then. Wife had to twin girls so they have pretty much taken all my time up besides working.

Corpekata

Banned
Weird. So they chopped the price in half and renamed it? Was that because of it's less-than-stellar reception?

Because the old price by itself now would be kind of a ripoff with the GOTY floating around. Not entirely uncommon. Probably renamed because the GOTY edition includes the various random preorder vomit.

Tizoc

CDA_6_2015_okladka_17746.jpg

Quick report for people who can buy this.
Anno 2070 is an Uplay code (of course), might be region restricted.
Wolfenstein is the real deal, DRM-free as far as I can tell. It is set to run with English VO+Polish text by default, but you can easily set it to have English text (took me about 2 minutes of googling to find this, can confirm it works just fine).
Whole deal costs ~$4, sure as hell beats paying $80 for a Steam key from trader (or whatever Wolf09 is worth nowadays).
PLGAF and/or people living near our border - might be worth giving this a try.

What's this magazine's name and is there any way for non-EU people to get it?

Outside of Azula, Chariot, -Deimos, you are the only KorraGaf member I know that plays on PC.

Haven't heard from Azula in a while other than on twitter occasionally. Hope he's doing well. And Chariot! I haven't seen a post from him in ages.

Welcome to the dark side of gaming... I mean PC place >_>

No worries about the site you asked for. Happens to many of us.
That's why it is advised to read OP. It's fairly big and I myself had to read it multiple times on several occasions to find what I was searching for.

Even if you forget to read or overlook it, asking here is better than shelling out on dubious sites. That's why we are here. We like to help and inform!

And one little mishap like yours is fine. Just take care not to repeat that too often or the wolfs will come for you :p

Also, congrats on your new PC! You should post what eyecandy-stuff you'll be testing/playing.

I triple dipped on GTAV almost immediately. So now I have it for 360, PS4, and PC. Playing around with director mode made it immediately worth it, not to mention the visual upgrade.

Also immediately installed Mirror's Edge, which has been one of my favorite games for a while. That game is still gorgeous 7 years later, it blows me away.

Also installed the staples, so Ultra Street Fighter 4 and CSGO which I was playing on my old laptop.

But yeah, my steam library has a ton of games I bought but never played because my PC wasn't always up to snuff. Should be nice also to even go back and play Assassins Creed 2 and other games I enjoyed last gen in updated resolutions. Also need to mod Skyrim a bit to update the visuals and play through that.

baterism

You know, you just make me realize that there is something called magazine for PC-games. I think we have local ver of PC-Gamer or something like that in Indonesia. It won't have sick bonus like that, but I think I might give it a spin. I haven't bought a game magazine for a daamn loong time.

Tizoc

Hey I'm ticked off that Tony Hawk 5 isn't releasing on PC too, but I'm more ticked off I don't live in Poland

Knurek

What's this magazine's name and is there any way for non-EU people to get it?

If it had a Steamcode, I'd be willing to buy a few issues for folk here.
But sending a DVD abroad is not really something I'd like to do, sorry. :\
(Other PLGAF folks might help you, I can't speak for them)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I saw your post. You linked to the GAF thread about the article coming later and I linked to the article itself when it was posted.

scroll a little bit lower in that thread - he added a link to the article ...

Corpekata

Banned
Just got my Nuuvem Wolfenstein key if anyone else is waiting on theirs. I did send a support email and tweet, but could just be coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom