• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
talk about beefy patches ... MKX is downloading ANOTHER 15.8GB patch ... good going, High Voltage ....

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-858AEC515D70EF68 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
PixelJunk Eden -- MB-5E07F9A37B89A996
Legend of Grimrock -- MB-7E21EC97D7866A3D - Taken by 7Sins. 1 entrants total.
The Binding of Isaac Plus Wrath of the Lamb -- MB-C336D0DC3C96E1EB - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack -- MB-DF1308F448C33A06 - Taken by Cyldman. 2 entrants total.
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP -- MB-58812484B96C71EA - Taken by Anteater. 3 entrants total.
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-C01824BD33F375D1 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.

t1430846837z1.png
Celebrating m_shortpant's new PC and proper entry into PC gaming via humble key dumps.

Arthea

Thanks again Valve, for not letting me to wishlist that anthology, this way I'll forget it and it will save me some money, you are practically like a mother to me.

derExperte

Each time I've been to Valve, I've hung out in the lobby with a few people waiting to play test. I asked them about it last time and they were waiting to play Left 4 Dead 3.

Not sure if serious.
Let's start a thread and see which news website will pick it up first.

Arthea

I can't see that gameinformer linked pic, I get error when copying a link too. What's up with that? Everybody seems to see it.

Nabs

Woolfe - The Red Hood Diaries is 72% off on the Humble Store, which seems a lot for a game that's barely a month old.

He's getting old, bro.

Apparently it's a 2-3 hour game with questionable platforming and combat. $2.50 sounds about right.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Each time I've been to Valve, I've hung out in the lobby with a few people waiting to play test. I asked them about it last time and they were waiting to play Left 4 Dead 3.

I recall as well, Left 4 Dead 2 was going to have more dynamic weather and level changing options to keep things fresh, and that got playtested out because it was too confusing for the people they got.

I love the amount of polish Valve puts into things, but sometimes they cut way too much of the more fun, ambitious stuff.

Chariot

Do you think I need to upgrade my processor too? I got 8 GB Ram which should be fine, but my Intel Core i5-4570 looks a bit weak, doesn't it?

One of the most hilarious changes they made based on playtesters is probably the antlion lair in Ep2. It was supposed to be more open with different, interconnected paths, but one guy kept turning to the right, thus running in circles, so it got simplified.

Or the planned ending with Chell saying "Yes". Testers got confused who's voice it was, so it got scrapped, even though there was a prompt "press to say yes" lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
dont forget that the witcher 3 on GMG is not a stream key

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
One of the most hilarious changes they made based on playtesters is probably the antlion lair in Ep2. It was supposed to be more open with different, interconnected paths, but one guy kept turning to the right, thus running in circles, so it got simplified.

Or the planned ending with Chell saying "Yes". Testers got confused who's voice it was, so it got scrapped, even though there was a prompt "press to say yes" lol

the real question is - are volvo playtesters actually able to breathe on their own? or do they need instructions and/or assistance ....

Do you think I need to upgrade my processor too? I got 8 GB Ram which should be fine, but my Intel Core i5-4570 looks a bit weak, doesn't it?

So far my 3570k has been a trusty warhorse. I'd say that 4570 will also last for some time (at least until they announce new and improved stuff)

Turfster

Huh? I am almost sure that my pc is odler than a year. My memory must be fooling me.

Oh, I misread that, it's Q2'13.
Still, it's a Haswell, so you're good until like at least the next console generation, and probably the one after that =p

I'm still rocking a 6 year old CPU and it can take anything I've thrown at it, so...

Saty

Yeah, Valve really need to cut down on listening to playtesters about 'challenge' stuff. The products suffer. There is no need in game named 'Portal' to have the the first hour of the game as simple, tutorial levels. Drop me in the deep water, please. Tutorials should be regulated to where they once where - a separate and optional level outside of the 'real' campaign that teaches you what you need (think HL1). In-story, in-campaign tutorial sections are the worst.

I wish I trusted myself not to screw up trying to OC my cpu a little bit. I know its supposed to be easier these days but I don't trust my karma lol

Turfster

I wish I trusted myself not to screw up trying to OC my cpu a little bit. I know its supposed to be easier these days but I don't trust my karma lol

Most of the "heavy" calculations are offloaded to the GPU anyway these days, so your CPU doesn't really need to do all that much, usually.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
lol, aren't they under NDA? Oh well, it's not like L4D3 is a secret at this point.

Yeah they might have been under an NDA, but then again maybe not. I mean, they were waiting in the lobby to get started, so they might not have signed anything at that point.

Also it didn't help that I was waiting for someone else to get out of a meeting, and Jeep Barnett walks out, recognizes me, and asks if I'm there for the L4D3 play testing.

So yeah at this point it's like the worst kept Valve secret.

Chariot

So far my 3570k has been a trusty warhorse. I'd say that 4570 will also last for some time (at least until they announce new and improved stuff)

Oh, I misread that, it's Q2'13.
Still, it's a Haswell, so you're good until like at least the next console generation, and probably the one after that =p

I'm still rocking a 6 year old CPU and it can take anything I've thrown at it, so...

It's a good CPU.

Long, looooong before CPU your GPU will become a bottleneck. Don't waste your money on a CPU now.
Neat! Now just need to call in some favours and debts and I am ready for this generation. (hopefully)

Just one question: why are there so many versions of the GTX? There are like 34 versions of it on mindfactory and I have no idea what to choose (or why).

Neat! Now just need to call in some favours and debts and I am ready for this generation. (hopefully)

Just one question: why are there so many versions of the GTX? There are like 34 versions of it on mindfactory and I have no idea what to choose (or why).
Vendors implement various output configurations, fans and overclocks.

Besides that there are buttloads of vendors with varying track record in terms of quality, heat dissipation and longevity.

No easy way out. You gotta look up benchmarks. Not GTX970 but specific vendor benches like Gigabyte GTX970, MSI GTX970 etc.
Just know that each vendor even has multiple GTX970 variations.

I did my research - extensively - and came to the conclusion that MSI Gaming G4 offers best bang & quality for the buck.

I also bought it from Mindfactory, so know that they are pretty good.

CDA_6_2015_okladka_17746.jpg

Quick report for people who can buy this.
Anno 2070 is an Uplay code (of course), might be region restricted.
Wolfenstein is the real deal, DRM-free as far as I can tell. It is set to run with English VO+Polish text by default, but you can easily set it to have English text (took me about 2 minutes of googling to find this, can confirm it works just fine).
Whole deal costs ~$4, sure as hell beats paying $80 for a Steam key from trader (or whatever Wolf09 is worth nowadays).
PLGAF and/or people living near our border - might be worth giving this a try.

Huh. I'll take a look for this at my local Chapters - they usually have foreign gaming magazines.

Also, LOL at the M&M HB week 2 bonuses. Ubi gonna Ubi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom