• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

I'm beginning to think Shadow Warrior 2 will be one of the biggest surprises of the year.
The game looks absolutely fantastic and I think it is going to feel a vacuum not felt since the original Serious Sam.
First Person Shooters genre is in a sorry state. We got multiplayer Hero Shooters, and we got hybrids. Shadow Warrior 2 seems to be the most smooth shooter I've ever seen. The double jumping, the new melee abilities, dashing, forward rolling, 70+ weapons.
It just feels like this is the right time to disrupt with a new game. I think Wang is the perfect guy to become a new highly popular action hero.

I'm certainly more looking forward to Shadow Wang 2 than to Doom, Battleborn and what have you.

Uzzy

I'm beginning to think Shadow Warrior 2 will be one of the biggest surprises of the year.
The game looks absolutely fantastic and I think it is going to feel a vacuum not felt since the original Serious Sam.
First Person Shooters genre is in a sorry state. We got multiplayer Hero Shooters, and we got hybrids. Shadow Warrior 2 seems to be the most smooth shooter I've ever seen. The double jumping, the new melee abilities, dashing, forward rolling, 70+ weapons.
It just feels like this is the right time to disrupt with a new game. I think Wang is the perfect guy to become a new highly popular action hero.

Battleborn fears Wang.

Ozium

I hope shadow warrior 2 is shorter and has some variety to its locations

SW went on way too fucking long and every level looked the same pretty much (with a few exceptions)

I'm certainly more looking forward to Shadow Wang 2 than to Doom, Battleborn and what have you.

Yeah. Maybe Deus Ex is one I look forward to seeing more of. Same with BF5. 5 more days until they reveal it. I just want to see if its really a WW1 shooter, or that rumour back from 4Chan (before BF3 was revealed) about a modern military vs Dinosaur game. Sounds too good to be true.

I've given up on more Halo or Destiny on PC. I'm tuning out completely.

I've given up on Fallout 4. I'm just not gonna bother. I don't enjoy the shooting.

What else is there in the shooter genre? Overwatch will replace TF2. CSGO will remain on top, and I think that is going to be it.

I'm looking forward to the swords first/third person games, like Bannerlords ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P8AYtiaaFE ) and For Honor (we will see more at e3?) and Mirage ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66L8k0Ebwks )

And I am sitting here like an asshole really wanting to play Titanfall, but not doing it because the game died. Game is the smoothest thing, animation wise I've seen. Silky smooth reload, seamless wall jumps. Game was fantastic.
I'm not even sure if Dishonored 2 or Mirrors Edge 2 are going to be that smooth, and both of them are not really shooters, but still.
It's a shame about Doom. It's a shame Star Citizen FPS might not come in 2016. No new Left 4 Dead, no new Day of Defeat.

What the hell happened to the shooters genre? :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
b-b-but
things can't be measured objectively like that

everyone says I'd be good at coding
I'm shit at school stuff ;_;

i meant your videogame skillz. you know, the most useless ones you could have in life?

;_;

And here I am weighing if I should market my 770 4gb now before the next wave of cards come out. Then I'd be playing with Intel 3000 in the meantime until I pick up something else. I can catch up on classics and adventure games. And see what Lowspecgamer is up to.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Ni-Oh is way too close to a souls game. From the HUD, to the estus animations, to the weapons handling. Not super stoked by it.

Halo 2 is still the best shooter ever made

Quake was really the one that fucked me up hardcore.

but when Goldeneye introduced the sniper rifle, I was sold. That game was such a landmark. Both it and Perfect Dark. A massive display of forward thinking fortitude.
Halo took what those games had to the next level and wrapped it into a really tantalizing mythology. Ambiguous, not very well explained, but incredible intriguing even if many of its ideas were taken from other sci-fi novels.
I am sad that the game lost momentum after 3. the merchandise and the expanded universe, I'd suppose turned it into a fan serviced toy product IP and some of the mystique was lost. Halo has lost that think that Marathon had.
I was very fortunate to have a stepdad who introduced me to mac gaming and marathon back then. Feel almost like a special snow flake having been one of the (relatively few) to be exposed to Bungie back then.

If there is anything I really miss, it's Battlefield 2. I think the multiplayer in that game was the ultimate fun casual fun-around shooter. It was a shooter where playing a medic or a engineer had its own meta game. you could play with a terrible team, and still sort of win by being the best of your class on your team, or the best at a specific thing.
The game had a low TTK which rewarded risky play and crazy strategy. it wasn't so pop'n spray as the newer games are in this COD-ification era.

Ni-Oh is way too close to a souls game. From the HUD, to the estus animations, to the weapons handling. Not super stoked by it.

I liked it...will keep an eye on it and wait for an actual release date ("2016" as a placeholder for now so I'm leaning towards it being next year around Feb-March)

Tellaerin

kvDzO9w.jpg

doodsmkks4r.jpg

(I'm sorry. I had to do it.)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I think you mean Ninja Gaiden

<3 Bernardo

Sch1sm

Ending of Bastion did things to me. Crawled right into my heart and my favourite games list. SquareCells I'm not enjoying as much as I did Hexcells, if I'm being honest. Formula getting old on me. 4th world, though, so that's nearly up.

Will people out there remember it for the GOTYs? Afterall the first half games a lot of them tend to be forgotten no matter how good they are when it comes to the GOTYs and end up getting very little to no votes since people are more hyped by the more recent games at that time. Not meant to be mean in any way but just an observation of how it usually goes for most awards.

Q3>Q2>early Q4>Q1, that's how GOTY ends up going.

Anno

Overwatch beta key if anyone is interested. Gets you in two days earlier than the open beta, I think. Quote to reveal.

Rhaknar

didnt know what to start next so when in doubt, go with Adol

1520927-adol.jpg

Hopefully its better than Origins. Origins was alright, but compared to Seven which is the only other Ys game I played...wel :/

didnt know what to start next so when in doubt, go with Adol

1520927-adol.jpg

Hopefully its better than Origins. Origins was alright, but compared to Seven which is the only other Ys game I played...wel :/

If you want to play Party style Ys games, then go with Celceta and eventually Lacrimosa of Dana.

Lomax

• Contradiction: 14th January
  • Trails in the Sky SC: 29th October
  • Undertale: 15th September
  • Tales from the Borderlands: 25th November 2014
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: 11th March
  • Metal Gear Solid V: 1st September
  • Pillars of Eternity: 26th March
  • Rocket League: 7th July
  • Life is Strange: 30th January
  • Witcher 3: 18th May

That's the SteamGAF GOTY awards from last year, along with their launch dates. I don't think people need to worry about games in the early months being overlooked.

So stop worrying about GOTY lists seven months out. Just relax and play video games, ok?

The games that get missed out on are the ones released in late November or December. Except the highest profile stuff, no one plays it then, and by the time we do play it 6-9 months later, we can't vote for it that next year. I almost think the SteamGaf goty should run like November-October or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom