• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

this command that's supposed to make the gun smaller is fucked

dudehujt8.jpg

Ludens

Banned
Holy crap, you're right. Was it ever? I really thought it was, or maybe I've been conditioned to think "five-episode game that looks like that" equals "Telltale game."

Originally it was a TT IP, but they sold it or something like that and The Odd Gentleman took it. And Honestlt, they are doing a so much better work compared to TT games, at least average stuff like TWDS2, GOT etc.
The gameplay is nice, but for now the plot is weak (didn't play Ep. 3 yet).

King's quest is among the earliest pnc games from the 80s/90s and was developed by seirra
Seirra is now owned hy activision.
The game featurs various voice talents such as doc brown
Furthermore he game has actual puzzles

Sierra :p
You should play King's Quest games, guys, they are very particular, totally different from Lucas games.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/

Here you can find the remake of the first three titles, I think it's the best way to play them, since a lot of frustrating stuff like dead ends is removed here.

Momentary

Banned
Sony needs to pull another Helldivers/Rapture and bring that Bloodborne game over to the PC. That would give them another 1,000,000 sales within a 6 month time frame.

Tizoc

Holy crap, you're right. Was it ever? I really thought it was, or maybe I've been conditioned to think "five-episode game that looks like that" equals "Telltale game."
King's quest is among the earliest pnc games from the 80s/90s and was developed by seirra
Seirra is now owned hy activision.
The game featurs various voice talents such as doc brown
Furthermore he game has actual puzzles

Originally it was a TT IP, but they sold it or something like that and The Odd Gentleman took it. And Honestlt, they are doing a so much better work compared to TT games, at least average stuff like TWDS2, GOT etc.
The gameplay is nice, but for now the plot is weak (didn't play Ep. 3 yet).

Okay, so I'm not completely crazy, thanks.

Also, when it comes to adventure games, as long as the plot isn't complete garbage, the storyline can usually be forgiven if the puzzles are good.

So I dunno about FF6 PC.
I read a guide calling it the "RPG Maker" version and it kinda feels that way sometimes.

During the Opera scene a couple of cues are improperly-timed, so the music cuts off at weird points. The mine-cart escape is 60 fps, while flying the airship is 30 fps. There's always a slight hitch whenever I enter or leave a room. The max resolution is something pathetic like 1368 x 768. The music is ok I guess, but the sound effects are somehow much worse than the SNES version.

The graphics are very inconsistent. Most of the (non-character) sprites look good, but everything else looks off, like the seams are constantly showing.

The FF5 port was half-assed, but I'm starting to feel like S-E quarter-assed this port.

KingKong

Is it weird that I didnt bother downloading Shadow Complex when it was free but will probably buy it just because its going to be on Steam

MRORANGE

Well I finally got that 12v screen to run off the raspberry pi GPIO pins:

It uses a 5v to 12v DC step-up converter and runs off the GPIO pins, this will make it portable, but will have some impact on battery life, finally think I've made some progress on this, but it's gonna take at least a few months or when I can find some time to make this thing decent enough to be feasibly playable.

Can't make up my mind on whether or not to buy Stellaris. On the one hand, the idea and concept of the game sounds amazing to me. But then I'm thick as a plank and kind of afraid of the complexity of these grand strategy games. Also, going by past history, the game will end up with 50 DLCs which puts me off.

Is there any chance this game has a newbie friendly mode?

Also, is there any significant difference if you buy the more expensive versions?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck that last boss in Ys Origin. The normal last boss, not the secret one with the new character. But I have zero interest in replaying to see the "real" last boss that so that'll do for me. Fun game, but yeah, I'd rather play the other Ys games I havent yet than replay that with another character just for some minor differences. Maybe if I replay the game one day Ill do another character.

Lain

Sony needs to pull another Helldivers/Rapture and bring that Bloodborne game over to the PC. That would give them another 1,000,000 sales within a 6 month time frame.

I was expecting to read Alienation, not Bloodborne. just because of the scope of Helldivers.

Can't make up my mind on whether or not to buy Stellaris. On the one hand, the idea and concept of the game sounds amazing to me. But then I'm thick as a plank and kind of afraid of the complexity of these grand strategy games. Also, going by past history, the game will end up with 50 DLCs which puts me off.

Also, is there any significant difference if you buy the more expensive versions?

It's supposed to be the most approachable grand strategy game Paradox has ever made, but it remains to be seen how true that is. Either way, it should be significantly easier to get into because everyone will start small with a tiny territory controlled (instead of say, becoming the Holy Roman Empire in CK2 right off that bat). It will go from being a (mostly) traditional 4X-style game and gradually become more grand strategy in scope and style as the galaxy is explored and the player's empire grows.

Edit: As far as learning resources, Check out the GAF thread for a lot of general info & talk (including a race designer someone found) and the Stellaris official forums for great stuff like dev diaries and videos, detailing mechanics.

As far as the other versions, you'll have to decide what is worthwhile (the first one is included in the lower two):
Pre-Order_Package.png

Nova_Package.png

Galaxy_package.png

Keeping in mind that the extra races (Creatures of the Void / Exclusive Alien Race) are purely cosmetic--akin to the character portraits in CK2--it's easy to say that no, there isn't a big difference. Personally I know I want the soundtrack so the Nova version is perfect for me.

Now, regarding DLCs, if we're lucky we'll be drowning in them, once again in CK2 style. The expansion-DLCs touched on & improved every facet of CK2, while the cosmetic portraits DLCs are the only microtransaction-style DLC I've ever appreciated. It is very much DLC Done Right™--especially when you keep in mind that it's been released over years and not months. Stellaris has even more potential for this kind of DLC, both mechanically and cosmetically, which is exciting to me.

fuck that last boss in Ys Origin. The normal last boss, not the secret one with the new character. But I have zero interest in replaying to see the "real" last boss that so that'll do for me. Fun game, but yeah, I'd rather play the other Ys games I havent yet than replay that with another character just for some minor differences. Maybe if I replay the game one day Ill do another character.

He's not even hard...You just need to do great against
his frist form
and then you should be able to take out
his 2nd form
. if you're playing with Hugo then it's even easier.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
his frist form
his 2nd form

I love "its not even hard lol" comments. They really add to the conversation.

Anyway, how is one supposed to follow Astebreed's story during the absolute batshit crazyness going on in the screen :eek:

Nzyme32

It's supposed to be the most approachable grand strategy game Paradox has ever made, but it remains to be seen how true that is. Either way, it should be significantly easier to get into because everyone will start small with a tiny territory controlled (instead of say, becoming the Holy Roman Empire in CK2 right off that bat). It will go from being a (mostly) traditional 4X-style game and gradually become more grand strategy in scope and style as the galaxy is explored and the player's empire grows.

Edit: As far as learning resources, Check out the GAF thread for a lot of general info & talk (including a race designer someone found) and the Stellaris official forums for great stuff like dev diaries and videos, detailing mechanics.

As far as the other versions, you'll have to decide what is worthwhile (the first one is included in the lower two):
Pre-Order_Package.png

Nova_Package.png

Galaxy_package.png

Keeping in mind that the extra races (Creatures of the Void / Exclusive Alien Race) are purely cosmetic--akin to the character portraits in CK2--it's easy to say that no, there isn't a big difference. Personally I know I want the soundtrack so the Nova version is perfect for me.

Now, regarding DLCs, if we're lucky we'll be drowning in them, once again in CK2 style. The expansion-DLCs touched on & improved every facet of CK2, while the cosmetic portraits DLCs are the only microtransaction-style DLC I've ever appreciated. It is very much DLC Done Right™--especially when you keep in mind that it's been released over years and not months. Stellaris has even more potential for this kind of DLC, both mechanically and cosmetically, which is exciting to me.

Adding to this, yes, Stellaris is looking to be awesome with some really incredible possibilities, choices, quests, dilemma / crisis and so much more that you typically do not see in these games.

One of the bigger selling points is that it should be easier to get into and with an easier learning curve that any previous Paradox Studios game. There is a constant tutorial guide character (optional) that will help you on your way. The game is both 4x at first and by the end it gradually moves to grand strategy, which should make it more gentle a learning curve

Also I read somewhere that there are some minor specifics to each species type that might help when dealing with like-for-like, but apart from that the game is completely open to all the little things and traits given. I've watched most of the streams, and the stuff you can do is so insanely cool and carried. The game has the potential to last so many years, especially with the typical Paradox support over years.

Eila

his frist form
his 2nd form

I thought he was hard as fuck during my first run with Yunica. With the other two not so much.
Game is very much worth playing with the 3rd character. It clears up the story a bit, some different bosses and most of all he plays really well. No ranged attacks, like the other two.

Mivey

All the bosses in most Ys (at least the ones on PC) games are:

Lvl 17 - almost impossible to beat.
Lvl 19 - easy as fuck.
It's the Teranigma effect. With the possible exception that Teranigma was very nicely designed that each area would get you to exactly the level you needed to be in, provied you actually killed everything at least once, which didn't feel really "grindy". It's only when you rushed through that you felt the effect of being underlevel.

Thanks for the write up dude. Went ahead and bought the Nova edition. Won't know if it's my thing or not until I actually try it right? Plus it was heavily subsidized by card money so that's cool.

Eila

It's the Teranigma effect. With the possible exception that Teranigma was very nicely designed that each area would get you to exactly the level you needed to be in, provied you actually killed everything at least once, which didn't feel really "grindy". It's only when you rushed through that you felt the effect of being underlevel.

Except the very last area, which you cannot leave. I believe I screwed my save like that.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Stellaris will be GOTY.

Will people out there remember it for the GOTYs? Afterall the first half games a lot of them tend to be forgotten no matter how good they are when it comes to the GOTYs and end up getting very little to no votes since people are more hyped by the more recent games at that time. Not meant to be mean in any way but just an observation of how it usually goes for most awards.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Ban Puncher, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ban Puncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code -- MB-59BAFB92E5F2EF13 - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 50 entrants total.

t1462172921z1.png

Adding to this, yes, Stellaris is looking to be awesome with some really incredible possibilities, choices, quests, dilemma / crisis and so much more that you typically do not see in these games.

One of the bigger selling points is that it should be easier to get into and with an easier learning curve that any previous Paradox Studios game. There is a constant tutorial guide character (optional) that will help you on your way. The game is both 4x at first and by the end it gradually moves to grand strategy, which should make it more gentle a learning curve

Also I read somewhere that there are some minor specifics to each species type that might help when dealing with like-for-like, but apart from that the game is completely open to all the little things and traits given. I've watched most of the streams, and the stuff you can do is so insanely cool and carried. The game has the potential to last so many years, especially with the typical Paradox support over years.

I might have to pick this up. I like Crusader Kings II, but I struggle with the Grand Strategy elements (I prefer making plots), and I couldn't get into EUIV.

I love "its not even hard lol" comments. They really add to the conversation.

Anyway, how is one supposed to follow Astebreed's story during the absolute batshit crazyness going on in the screen :eek:
Well there isn't much to say. You'll have to learn the movement and patterns on a trial by error basis, or you could watch a video to grasp a good idea of how to face him.It's not like you're facing him in nightmare too.

Like I said with Hugo it is much easier too as you have a shield.

I thought he was hard as fuck during my first run with Yunica. With the other two not so much.
Game is very much worth playing with the 3rd character. It clears up the story a bit, some different bosses and most of all he plays really well. No ranged attacks, like the other two.
Playing with the 3rd character was the best. He's so fun to play with & getting the hang of his dash power was quite the learning curve for me, but once grasped well it's terrific!

The only one that's grindy is Ys VI (Of the OiF/Origin style ones) . The others are actually doable in lower levels, but that requires more skill. Ys games have a boss rush mode too, where you fight bosses with predetermined levels and equipments for which you can't escape with levelling up either and you can also get a good idea of what level is the recommended one for bosses.

The boss rush mode is quite fun and very challenging.

Is that Nioh game on Steam at all or is it just PS4? It seems interesting if nothing else. It looks like a complete mash of Witcher and Darksouls.

Arthea

Se7en you are being kinda unfair here, Ys games aren't easy and bosses even more so. I know that it might not seem so to you as you like those games so much probably because they are your type of games, games you are really good at.
But you shouldn't mislead others by all this easy talk, that's not what easy means, you know.

Ah ok, I'm not a big fan of the souls game, but that setting and it being a lot faster paced seems more interesting than anything else I guess

Arthea

Don't worry, it's not Blorg.

And don't worry, race appearance does not affect race ability. (Check out this Stellaris race designer.)

Bonus: Here's all (most?) of the portraits.

how's that something to worry about? resistance is futile!

guys, stop hyping Stellaris pls

I never said it's easy, I said it would be easier with a certain character which i believe he was playing with.

I didn't mean only this talk but our previous Ysy talk too.

Se7en you are being kinda unfair here, Ys games aren't easy and bosses even more so. I know that it might not seem so to you as you like those games so much probably because they are your type of games, games you are really good at.
But you shouldn't mislead others by all this easy talk, that's not what easy means, you know.

I never said it's easy, I said it would be easier with a certain character which i believe he was playing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom