• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgaro

oh yea dont wanna install anything new :p

I got 36...

chrome%20count.PNG

Balthuk

Sunset on sale

Cheapest options available are either https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sunset or https://taleoftales.itch.io/sunset (both include steam key as well as drm-free version).

For a bit more you can get the game on steam on sale as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287600

Humble store has a lot of narrative focused games/interactive fiction on sale atm and they are at their lowest prices ever.
Sunset
€0,99
Her Story
€2,99
Sorcery! Parts 1 and 2
€3,39
Sorcery! Part 3
€3,39
Total: €10,76

I think I'll pick these up.
Also the banner saga is €4,99 over there.

Knurek

So about the same then, wonder why they decided to put all the episodes together unlike HigurashI?
That's going to take me like a month to finish O_O

They didn't need to retranslate this game, instead they just used fan translation.

Both Umineko and Umineko Chiru took me roughly 60 hours to complete each.

EDIT: Holy fuck, I just saw Eva. Why is this artist making the adults look like they are dying corpses?

Dude, spoilers!

There was a Golden Wake giveaway and I missed it? :(

Ah well. I sure hope you play it, Ozium.

Are you wearing Lynx (Axe)?

My mother used to work for Unilever and would get Axe on the cheap - like 50 cents a can. She'd just hand me the stuff. I'll just say that I have several different colognes, but Axe was the only one where women would compliment me on my smell. It wasn't like the commercials show, obviously, but...women noticed it. It was surprising.

And no, I'm not endorsing it or anything, they're not paying me. Just saying.

Momentary

Banned
Those are awesome.

External cooling? Or are you using a different case than what is advertised?

He is fabricating a custom case. He'll be sending me renders to choose from within the next month or so. The case will be a slim ATX... it'll be big, but thin. All the water cooling will be internal.

Parsnip

Looks like the first listings of gtx1080 founders edition over here are €799. That's about 896usd, whereas the actual msrp for is 699 usd right? Oh boy.

Knurek

Looks like the first listings of gtx1080 founders edition over here are €799. That's about 896usd, whereas the actual msrp for is 699 usd right? Oh boy.

To be fair, we always get fucked in Europe due to VAT and customs and whatever.
970 is still €340 here, while it's on sale for as low as $289 on Newegg.

Grief.exe

He is fabricating a custom case. He'll be sending me renders to choose from within the next month or so. The case will be a slim ATX... it'll be big, but thin. All the water cooling will be internal.

This is awesome, hopefully you post here when it's finished.

How big of a radiator are you using? What fans?

Edit:meant to combine these

To be fair, we always get fucked in Europe due to VAT and customs and whatever.
970 is still €340 here, while it's on sale for as low as $289 on Newegg.

The 970 had sales since the announcement here in Germany for about 220-240€.

But actually it was pretty clear the 1080 wont be 700€ here in Europe.

After putting in about 7 hours, I think I'm qualified to post impressions of another game I won here in a raffle (thanks again!) that being Doodle God.

The story: You play the role of the Doodle God, who starts with four elements and forms the world through their combinations. Then after a while, you decide to separate things into "science" and "magic," (have you played The Longest Journey or Arcanum? Read the Sword of Truth books? Okay, then you know the deal.) That's as far as the story goes, but...this game isn't really about a story per se.

The gameplay: The main game involves combining elements by clicking two or dragging one onto the other - the standard interface does this by grouping the elements and having you open up groups on two sides of a book. This is fun and interesting - and in some ways logical - for a while. As you get further along, the combinations get much more esoteric and downright illogical (like, you somehow invent the computer and the internet before the typewriter, or the steamship somehow came before the wheel.) You're left with brute forcing it - you know in point-and-click adventures, sometimes you just try combining everything in your inventory? Okay, now imagine you have over 200 inventory items, and you've got the endgame of Doodle God - or using slowly-regenerating hints. Or, of course, using a guide, which has been around for years since this game was originally a free game on flash sites, then became a mobile game with microtransactions. The Steam version also had microtransactions at one point but wisely backed off. The main game is okay, but it's probably 50 elements too long.

There are other modes like "Puzzle" which are somewhat more fun than the main game because they dilute the number of elements available, and make it more about logic than brute force. You play Santa and create gifts for various people, you play a party of adventurers trying to kill a dragon and save a princess, or a guy trying to get off a deserted island, that sort of thing. I'm currently on a puzzle where you have to "create the top ten inventions of each decade of the 20th century" and I'm just thinking how that's gonna be way too many guesses again. So there are hits and misses.

The graphics: Did I mention it was originally free on flash sites and a mobile game? So expect that level.

The sound: Pretty repetitive. There are a few congratulatory voices when you find a new element - "Gracious me!" "Inspirational!" "Spectacular" etc. - and some more condescending ones when you combine to find an element you already have - "Cool." "Wow."

The length: Depends on how fast you think, whether you use hints, and whether you just rapidly brute-force. Could be 3 hours for the main game, could be 10. There's an achievement for playing the game without hints, and even though I strive for achievements...lol no way on this one. You could call it "Waiting for Hints: the Game" and you wouldn't be far off the mark.

The verdict: This won't be a game for everyone. It starts off like a fun puzzly game and then gets too wrapped up in itself. On the whole, is it more fun than not? Yes. If you're thinking about it, I'd recommend finding it on Kongregate or wherever and giving the free version a go. If you want more after that, then this game is for you.

Monooboe

Very nice 21:9 monitor.

I really like it, though it wasn't as good for games as I hoped, the resolution is a pain to get games running smoothly and that makes also input lag be quite severe.

Edit: Did they just change the fonts on Steam? Not sure if I just hadn't noticed but it does look different.

Hektor

Finished DOOM (2016). It's really good. The beginning was a bit lame because everything looked the same and you didn't had much weapons, but from the second half on it became insanely fun. Definitely recommended. 100% Gameplay, 0% Nonsense.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 21 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim -- MB-4D178DC7FAC6247C - Taken by Lain
Lift It -- MB-701C89E96E5FBCDA - Taken by gurm3n
Slipstream 5000 -- MB-65403A353BECD300 - Taken by Abomination
Collider -- MB-8B8C6C4CC0D93173 - Taken by voodooray
Elliot Quest -- MB-43C2763570AE5699 - Taken by Last Baron
Rooms: The Main Building -- MB-03E6E4614E875118 - Taken by Saty
Blitz Breaker -- MB-93C666D1BE2A2FE9 - Taken by OmarYusaf
Lucid -- MB-0DF40E30E3C3CD73 - Taken by Vuze
The Haunting of Billy -- MB-6DCD9D1BCBDF2D51 - Taken by Eila
Drizzlepath -- MB-E613E36EDE935E16 - Taken by Ludens
Crab Cakes Rescue -- MB-C833CCE3D1D7C1F7 - Taken by Hektor
Nightside -- MB-857BC3199AE940F2 - Taken by Jalal
Stacks TNT -- MB-1212DEF1147AF3C9 - Taken by septicore
Fleeting Ages -- MB-CF89C9F95A58EA7E - Taken by Henry Swanson
SWR JST DX Selective Memory Erase Effect -- MB-2C22E16154D1E62C - Taken by pantsattack
Ultimate Arena -- MB-8603E4B50D6C6B3F - Taken by madjoki
Project Gravitron -- MB-84A14B36930FBF95 - Taken by Kifimbo
Nexuiz -- MB-413673E6385998AD - Taken by NingenJanai
Game Type -- MB-2D2D480A4EC58327 - Taken by rainking187
Asteroid Bounty Hunter -- MB-BBFB0C4FFADB00B8 - Taken by jgalat
3DRPG -- MB-6C06A0A86036211C - Taken by neonglow

Monooboe

Old wood, 21:9, French Press. This is my favorite. I had an old huge typewriter desk with a slate top back in the day. It had so much character.

Thanks! Glad you appreciate it.:D I really like the desk, I was lucky to find it in a second hand store for a measly 40 euros. Will be a pain to bring it with me where ever I move though, it heavy as hell. I had no idea what typewriter desks were, after some googling yeah they seem quite nice!

Finished DOOM (2016). It's really good. The beginning was a bit lame because everything looked the same and you didn't had much weapons, but from the second half on it became insanely fun. Definitely recommended. 100% Gameplay, 0% Nonsense.

I agree! I'm having such a blast, I've even had moments where I felt absolute joy, when the music is just right and one feels like badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom