• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Windows hasn't bugged me for any of that.

I got around it on my laptop by having the motherboard in a forced bios state without UEFI, which MS will actually point out needs to be upgraded. After a few months they stopped bugging me.

Than I built my new itx machine, realised that Windows 7 wouldn't even install due to a Intel Skylake drive being missing or something, so ended up dumping my Win 7 key into Windows 10.... they got me..

Windows 10's setup is painless, but you have to actually pay attention for all the times they attempt to get you to accept privacy terms or mislead you. Even switching everything off in all the settings I could find, there is still more that they don't let you switch off. I had to use Spybot Antibeacon to actually kill almost all the crap MS don't let you switch out. After that, things seem fine enough bar not being able to use half my audio gear, so I'll be dual booting Win 7 later on

ArjanN

Achievement unlocked:
c45b2db48d11c5588927cc96d1cc063b6217577d.jpg

Fuck you Ori. Fuck you so hard.

I was impressed for a bit there... until I realized that wasn't the achievement for beating the game without dying, but just one of the escape sequences. :p

Salsa

you guys think I should upgrade to a 970

uruguayan dude sellin me one for $300 or so, think I can sell my 680 for $200ish maybe $250

fuck the 1070/80 prices here

idk idk

mp1990

Banned
I was impressed for a bit there... until I realized that wasn't the achievement for beating the game without dying, but just one of the escape sequences. :p
That achievement is some crazy stuff. I barely managed to pull off the last escape sequence, let alone going through its entirety without dying once. Ori is a really great game, but boy it almost drove me crazy sometimes.

derExperte

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.c5fb4317.1464305370.4eba5e0

Steam pls. Community still works, only shop is dead.

uruguayan dude sellin me one for $300 or so, think I can sell my 680 for $200ish maybe $250

idk idk

If you can get the 970 for 300 and find some fool who pays 250 for an 680 in 2016 you'd be an idiot not to do it.

Nzyme32

idk idk

Think about if you could cope with the 680 for several more months. Do you have problems running games at the moment? If you can cope, wait a little while for prices on the 1070 to drop and go for that.

I get the impression that the new consoles will lead to higher than expected VRAM needs, and the 970 is probably not going to be able to cut it for too long

The pricing seems to be pretty obscene everywhere outside of the US, it's just a question of how obscenely expensive those cards are region by region. Brazil looks like it wins/loses. In Canada they're apparently overcharging by 220$ after a rough currency conversion for a 1080. They should be going for roughly $773, instead they're charging $999 before taxes.

But, honest question here, what is even driving the need for such cards? Star Citizen? VR? 4K video content? It could be because I'm already half-way out of this hobby, don't care about the vast majority of triple A games and have zero fucks to give about VR but there doesn't look like a whole lot of compelling software on the horizon that calls for such an investment in hardware. I can play Overwatch on my 760 right now and won't need to upgrade to play Legion.

Salsa

If you can get the 970 for 300 and find some fool who pays 250 for an 680 in 2016 you'd be an idiot not to do it.

no one's really a fool in this scenario with local prices

970 and 4 gigs of ram probably means 60fps on Deus Ex, Mirror's Edge, Dishonored 2.. so its tempting

680 gon crack

Nzyme32

Oh my god why is Vermintide dl size 25 gigabytes??? Wtf ughh

Once you've lived with the horror of 250kb/s download speeds, you start to have a real respect for even slight speed increases. Thank fuck I'm at 4.5MB/s these days with no limits, so download stuff like ID games at 50/60 GB is around about 3 hours long.

Whaaat is this shiiit, Steam?

aef8fcbd86.png

f314ff794f.jpg

Also, Steam website and such is real damn slow for me at the moment. DDOS going on or something?

that seems pretty weird unless it is a different dollar . I'd also check to see if paypal was doing the transaction correctly, refund the game and get it again - which steam is usually happy with

Adnor

Banned

idk idk

It seems fine, the 1070/80 will not have remotely decent prices in SA in a few years and I doubt you'll get the 970 much cheaper till then.

You'll be to play everything at 1080p/60fps this gen, you'll just have to change a few settings in some games.

EDIT: Also, if you buy the 970 we will be able to finish DL without problems ;)

Salsa

its more like $100

im basing it on 680 new price which is around $260, dont think I could sell it used at more than $200
idk, i'll see

Tizoc

Im fairly confident Sega would make some decent money if they ported the Yakuza games to Steam

I'd agree, but it all comes down to how much y'all want to spend for Y1+2 HD on Steam

Sega def gotta step up their marketing for Yakuza. Won't happen tho

Even if they did, it wouldn't have helped the game's sales on PS3 in the west.

SEGA can barely bring a Yakuza game by themselves without having Sony chiming in for localization, so I wouldn't expect them being smart for once now.

Eh it's more that the series hasn't sold well in the west compared to Japan+Asia. Like Yakuza 0, 1 single game, sold more copies than the entire Western releases of the Yakuza games combined (before Y5's release at least).

BorntoPlay

idk idk

970 is a great card for DX11 games, not so much for DX12 but is still playable...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
For people who like to play or own cheap and bad games, the horrible DRM for Two Worlds: Epic Edition on Steam has been replaced by a much lighter one with optional activation. Forum announcement.

I'm not sure if the same has happened for Two Worlds 2, or if they will wait for the linux port, but anyway, these games are very cheap right now, so there's your chance.

this is so bizarre. the game is like 10 years old and it's on gog, drm free (and thus can already be pirated)

Phawx

I managed to get a stable 70C with my fan at an inaudible level on my R9 290 at full load with some better TIM.

I still had to undervolt like a mad man though, but the only way I could keep it stable with a large undervolt was by lowering core/mem clock by 10%.

So I lost 10% performance but it is now completely silent. I am content for now as even with a 10% underclock, I can still run things fine at 1080p.

So long story short, I spent $10 and 30 mins of work to make my GPU not sound like a jet engine when I'm trying to record some Quick Looks. I can now also overclock! I can get a 15% increase in performance when I'm not recording. Though to dump the heat my fans are FULL BLAST.

I'm glad I can happily skip the Founder's Edition and just wait to hear about Vega10 at computex.

Daaaamn. After the recent price drop amd today's 30% off, MGSV is like $12 now here. I feel like a fool bought it at full price last september. Even more so because I haven't finished it yet.

Achievement unlocked:
c45b2db48d11c5588927cc96d1cc063b6217577d.jpg

Fuck you Ori. Fuck you so hard.

I'm also currently playing Ori on Hard, and well... it's hard. I believe I'm almost at the end of the game and I've already died more than 400 times. But exploration and finding power ups is more exciting and satisfying like this, because you feel they actually make a difference. Wouldn't have it any other way.

It's also available on BundleStars for $2, bundled with TW2 and some other jank games.

It's also on this bundle here:

https://www.gamebundle.com/gb/gamebundle/

Kagemusha

what does Humble exclusive mean? Like it won't be available on Steam...ever?

Contra 4?

Also, I uh, .... I played a game. First chapter of Walking Dead. Forgive me. I think I want to play the next chapter. Halp

kulapik

What is it? And keys from Humble Monthlies are generally pretty easy to get cheap in B/S/T if you don't want to buy the whole thing blind.

A few years ago, Wayforward made an april fools joke about a game called "Cat Girl without Salad" that was a ridiculous mishmash of genres, and a lot of people really wanted it to be real because it looked great. And three years later, it's becoming real. Though I don't know how the gameplay will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom