• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenners

Zenge is a beautiful block shifting puzzle/jigsaw game. In each of the 70 or so levels you move the blocks around into the right position to unlock the next story scene. The artwork here is absolutely stunning and is matched to an equally outstanding soundtrack.

Every 10ish levels the game introduces a new mechanic, you can flip blocks, rotate blocks, teleport them and eventually use them to trip switches that open new paths. The game doesn't outstay it's welcome at under 2 hours and while not particularity complex, it's more about the story, it is unmissable as an experience.

Dagnammit that looks awesome. And in a groupees bundle too. Gah!

e90Mark

Can a single steam account online & play 2 different games at 2 different PCs at the same time?
Should just make another account and do family sharing. I think that would accomplish what you're looking for.
Has anyone beat Firewatch and done the thing that you could do that costs $15 in real-world money after you beat the game? If so, was it worth it? I've already done it so no going back now, but I at least hope it's worth it.

I didn't think it was worth it, personally. But I'm not really into keeping stuff like that. I liked the idea though.

Lain

Muv-Luv page is live
header.jpg

Uzzy

From what OP was saying, it's not even a real money microtransaction he's raging about. He's just burnt at having to earn access to more voice lines for each character by playing and unlocking them rather than having all of them available from the jump, and said that "no one would be shocked" if they added the option to purchase those voice clips via microtransactions.

As someone who enjoys unlocking things by playing and has often lamented how RMTs have largely killed that practice, I'm fine with Blizzard doing things this way. *shrug*

You don't unlock things by playing. You unlock things through RNG. There is quite a difference.

Crap didn't realise that groupees was still going, great little bundle that. That's where I got it from.

Played a little of Insane, also from that bundle, without any sort of tutorial I have no idea what the actual object was!

Tellaerin

You don't unlock things by playing. You unlock things through RNG. There is quite a difference.

So it's a system where you earn points by playing and spend them to roll the dice on random rewards? If so, I'm still not seeing the reason for the outrage.

PaulSane

Zenge is a beautiful block shifting puzzle/jigsaw game. In each of the 70 or so levels you move the blocks around into the right position to unlock the next story scene. The artwork here is absolutely stunning and is matched to an equally outstanding soundtrack.

Every 10ish levels the game introduces a new mechanic, you can flip blocks, rotate blocks, teleport them and eventually use them to trip switches that open new paths. The game doesn't outstay it's welcome at under 2 hours and while not particularity complex, it's more about the story, it is unmissable as an experience.

Seems interesting, i might buy it.
*sees price, compares it to card prices* Yep, can't say no to a free game :D

Uzzy

So it's a system where you earn points by playing and spend them to roll the dice on random rewards? If so, I'm still not seeing the reason for the outrage.

Nope, you don't earn points. You earn a loot box every time you level up, and then open it to get four random items, some of which can be repeats.

No. It's random + a randomly accrued currency system that you can use to unlock specific things you want.

That thread is completely invalidated by the fact that you can preview every single voice line in the game. So missing out on the "lore" of the characters because it's locked is a non-issue because you can hear every piece of locked speech without ever unlocking them.

In fact, you do it in the same fucking menu where you unlock them...

EDIT: This was actually brought up in the 15th post of the thread, far before OP admitted to having never played the game. The fact that it's still open is unreal.

Tellaerin

Nope, you don't earn points. You earn a loot box every time you level up, and then open it to get four random items, some of which can be repeats.

No. It's random + a randomly accrued currency system that you can use to unlock specific things you want.

That thread is completely invalidated by the fact that you can preview every single voice line in the game. So missing out on the "lore" of the characters because it's locked is a non-issue because you can hear every piece of locked speech without ever unlocking them.

In fact, you do it in the same fucking menu where you unlock them...

EDIT: This was actually brought up in the 15th post of the thread, far before OP admitted to having never played the game. The fact that it's still open is unreal.

Ah, okay. From his description I was envisioning something like the Lost Planet 2 random unlock system. What you guys are describing doesn't sound bad to me either, and the outrage over it seems silly and misplaced.

D3RANG3D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (D3RANG3D, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Go Go Nippon -- MB-61639F8768F43140 - Taken by jgalat
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-D410229325175729 - Taken by bluechox2
Hack Slash Loot -- MB-E44E8BE24443ABA5 - Taken by bloke

:3

Uzzy

Ah, okay. From his description I was envisioning something like the Lost Planet 2 random unlock system. What you guys are describing doesn't sound bad to me either, and the outrage over it seems silly and misplaced.

I have a strong dislike to RNG in general when it comes to items. It's criminal in a game like Hearthstone, where you need to rely on RNG card packs just to get the tools you need to play the game, which is why I won't touch collectable card games like that with a twenty foot pole.

It's not so bad when it comes to cosmetic items, but I'd still rather just pay a few quid to get the skins I want, or even better, pay for them through earned ingame currency.

Hektor

i know the overwatch talk is frowned upon but a person called zykion joined my game and it really freaked me out cos they followed me around and like it kept messing with my head

it was kind of horrifying, i hate when ppl have like enough of my name that you can like confuse it

about that lol

DLfIC94.png

Infuriating

I have a strong dislike to RNG in general when it comes to items. It's criminal in a game like Hearthstone, where you need to rely on RNG card packs just to get the tools you need to play the game, which is why I won't touch collectable card games like that with a twenty foot pole.

It's not so bad when it comes to cosmetic items, but I'd still rather just pay a few quid to get the skins I want, or even better, pay for them through earned ingame currency.

Yeah, Hearthstone having progression-based microtransactions is killer. It really is a grind to get anywhere as you hit a wall on your deck's build, where blind luck or huge purchases are necessary to get the legendary-tier cards that make a deck competitive (keeping in mind this is on the "for fun" mode). And it's especially egregious with the C'Thun cards flying around right now, which puts a death clock on most matches.

I really wanted to like Hearthstone, but I couldn't justify wasting my time like that.

Feeling kinda down.

Can someone recommend me games that are cheerful and will make me feel better?
It would be nice if it's something I already own too :p

Thanks

Phawx

Unity devs said they ran this at 1440p on a GTX980, real time. I personally found that very hard to believe.

That is certainly impressive

Funny/sad how that 599$ is 900$ now...

Nabs already did the conversion, but yea that $599 figure is not going to happen for a long time. Considering that the $700 FE editions are selling out and once the AIBs make custom coolers with more power, they are already more expensive than the FE editions.

Jimrpg

You can get it in the Humble Monthly just now for $12 plus a bunch more games. Seems worth it.

Its 9 bucks for him from the steam store lol. But the monthly is a gamble that has been worth it so far.

Thanks. I remember I passed on it earlier this month. It's a good price, but Ill wait. The Humble monthly bundles have been getting better and better since they started.

Funny/sad how that 599$ is 900$ now...

Well for the US, you have to be expecting higher prices while stock is low, happens with everything from iPhones to consoles. So unfortunately plebs (like me) have to wait until the demand reduces to buy at a reasonable price. The only people who get ripped off are rich people anyways. A MSRP/RRP is just a recommended price.

For Europe, Australia and other countries, they've got to do a better job of reducing costs closer to US price. Although many times its because VAT hasn't been added in. $699 +20% VAT = $840 plus their profit margin ~$900?

Vuze

Nabs already did the conversion, but yea that $599 figure is not going to happen for a long time. Considering that the $700 FE editions are selling out and once the AIBs make custom coolers with more power, they are already more expensive than the FE editions.
Not really. EVGAs FTW is 20 bucks cheaper than the FE, has a factory OC, 2x8pin power connectors and 10+2 phases so it should leave plenty of headroom for OC. Not to mention the custom cooling solution (which has yet to proof its capability but there's no way it's not leaps and bounds beyond the FE blower).
Basically you get all that for a 80$ markup on the 599$ MSRP. Don't think that's a bad deal at all judging from previous models.

The SC model is 10$ over the 599$ MSRP, also has custom cooling + slight OC (ref board as usual).

Phawx

Not really. EVGAs FTW is 20 bucks cheaper than the FE, has a factory OC, 2x8pin power connectors and 10+2 phases so it should leave plenty of headroom for OC. Not to mention the custom cooling solution (which has yet to proof its capability but there's no way it's not leaps and bounds beyond the FE blower).
Basically you get all that for a 80$ markup on the 599$ MSRP. Don't think that's a bad deal at all judging from previous models.

The SC model is 10$ over the 599$ MSRP, also has custom cooling + slight OC (ref board as usual).

Where is this available?

PaulSane

Hearthstone has a crafting system though, which helps offset that RNG if you are unlucky. You can also play arena, which has basically no barrier to entry, except your own personal skill at it.

When i started playing Hearthstone during beta, i actually focused on the arena from the get go, and haven't really played constructed seriously except one month where i got to legendary rank to get that card back.
But i've also spent far too much time on this game up until now, i had every single card couple of expansions back, and around that time i've just stoped opening packs altogether, since i stopped playing constructed :) Now i'm sitting at almost 600 unopened packs which i wish i could sell for gold.
Oh, and i've also spent nothing on the game at all, except hours upon hours of my precious time. I really need to stop playing this game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom