• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

Not really. EVGAs FTW is 20 bucks cheaper than the FE, has a factory OC, 2x8pin power connectors and 10+2 phases so it should leave plenty of headroom for OC. Not to mention the custom cooling solution (which has yet to proof its capability but there's no way it's not leaps and bounds beyond the FE blower).
Basically you get all that for a 80$ markup on the 599$ MSRP. Don't think that's a bad deal at all judging from previous models.

The SC model is 10$ over the 599$ MSRP, also has custom cooling + slight OC (ref board as usual).

What's 10+2 phases?

The SC and FTW fans look pretty similar to me, any ideas how much better the FTW will perform?

The SC looks like it has 5+1 phases?

dex3108

Nah it really looks like that i will end up buying 970. Oh well that is what you get when you live in small and "poor" country like mine :D

Vuze

What's 10+2 phases?

The SC and FTW fans look pretty similar to me, any ideas how much better the FTW will perform?

The SC looks like it has 5+1 phases?
The SC uses the same PCB as the Founders Edition from what I know, I haven't spent too much time looking at the SC though.

The power phases handle power delivery, so the more phases are present, the better the power demand will be handled (10 for GPU, 2 for VRAM in the FTW case). It's mostly relevant to people who are into overclocking which the FTW is generally geared to, I'd assume.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or add extra input.

Yo SteamGAF, quick dilemma here. I have an i5 4430 at 3ghz. I can get an i7 4790k for less than 300€. Should I upgrade ? I have a R9 290. Or would these 300€ be better used for a future GPU upgrade ?

derExperte

Yo SteamGAF, quick dilemma here. I have an i5 4430 at 3ghz. I can get an i7 4790k for less than 300€. Should I upgrade ? I have a R9 290. Or would these 300€ be better used for a future GPU upgrade ?

How much could you still get for your i5? I'd say the upgrade is worth 50€ max and that's assuming you'll overclock, better invest in something else.

Phawx

As newer games come out and make use of DX12/Vulkan, fast single threaded performance will be less of an issue.

Considering you already have a R9 290, I'd say just save money for a newer GPU. I'm waiting on HBM2.

mp1990

Banned
Feeling kinda down.

Can someone recommend me games that are cheerful and will make me feel better?
It would be nice if it's something I already own too :p

Thanks
I usually stick to Assault Android Cactus or Downwell when I'm sad and need something to cheer me up, not sure you own either but the latter is ridiculously cheap so you might as well grab it :p

but really video games are garbage go watch Toradora

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Feeling kinda down.

Can someone recommend me games that are cheerful and will make me feel better?
Space Channel 5
Critter Crunch
Peggle (2! *jumps*)
Mystery Castle

Not exactly cheerful but positivity:
Freedom Planet
Shantae

derExperte

Maybe 100, 150€ at best. But yeah, you're right. Thinking of it, for this price, I could surely get a CPU+mobo+ram combo when I'll want to upgrade later.

Thinking more about it personally I'd do it if the upgrade would stay below 100€, the 4790K seems to be the last and fastest CPU for that socket which usually means it'll keep its value better. Considering that, getting Hyper Threading, 4.5 boost instead of 3.2 and overclock (you'll need a good cooler, also the power draw is higher anyway) could be worth a few bucks. At least right now, I'm hoping AMD will finally deliver this year and force Intel to release real 8-cores for the mainstream.

Jadax

I'd be more worried about what the whole purpose of the game will be once you get past the 'Oh Wow' factor - which will last an hour tops.

That doesn't mean there's lots of actual meaningful content, though. From what they've shown the more likely reason is because the game has been needlessly filled with repetitive content that doesn't add anything substantial to the game and just lets them say it has lots of stuff. Elite: Dangerous did the same thing. "We've got billions of systems!"...and then they end up being nearly identical and after a few of them it becomes very repetitive with no real incentive to keep exploring.

It's a Space game so i'm still interested in it, but i really hope there's more to it than that.

Lain

I was doing the bundlestars survey and saw this:
OpRb.png

GOG finally recognized for what it is, a dirty, nasty DRM.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's a shame GOG locks its content behind an account wall.

Pirates continue to get the better experience, being able to download their games without needing a special account.

Knurek

I think it's just poorly worded and Bundle Stars is simply trying to get a sense as to whether or not offering games that register on services other than Steam would be worthwhile.

Aren't they are already doing so, with Uplay titles?
Your explanation is valid though, they want to know what exactly their customers want.
Please don't select Origin and/or Uplay

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Aren't they are already doing so, with Uplay titles?
Your explanation is valid though, they want to know what exactly their customers want.
Please don't select Origin and/or Uplay

Not that I can see, unless they're not available in AU.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom