• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really wish I could go back in time and force my past self that completely dismissed Rocket League to give it at least a chance (I didn't even bothered redeeming it back when it was free on PS+). This game is so much fuuuuuuuuuuun. Though I have no idea how can it be an esports game, considering how chaotic it is :p

you actually can try to use tactics and teamwork in RL if you have the right teammates...if you just get random trolls then yeah...chaos

Alien8

wut
joexmod.png

This game is a remake of La abadía del crimen. For those who don't know, it's and old game for 8 bit computers (Zx spectrum, Amstrad). In Spain its remembered as one of the best games of that era, and is a cult game (There are even books explaining the impact of the game). Its based on Umberto Eco's novel, The name of the Rose. Unfortunately, it didn't sell outside Spain, so it's not very well known.

I played the original game when I was a kid, and it was a blast, but (nostalgia apart) I don't think I'll get the same feelings with the remake. However, this remake is more a homage to the authors made by a few fans of the game in their free time, so I really appreciate their effort.

zkylon

zkylewd
the best thing i got out of rocket league is that talking about it makes this friend of mind giggle uncontrollably which is pretty useful

like she can't even for a second take the concept of soccer cars seriously

Uzzy

Prefer real time not turn based. Not to much micromanage but enough to keep you involved. I quite enjoyed supreme commander and battle for middle earth and company of heroes

Grey Goo comes to mind. You can see some thoughts of mine on it here. I'm also a fan of the Wargame series, might want to check those out.

Phawx

I'm getting antsy looking for a used GPU. Those new Nvidia early adopter's prices are scaring some people away.

Yep. 980Ti used prices are increasing. Average is almost $100 more than it was just two weeks ago.

Edit: Looking at eBay only. Never looked elsewhere.

Tizoc

This game is a remake of La abadía del crimen. For those who don't know, it's and old game for 8 bit computers (Zx spectrum, Amstrad). In Spain its remembered as one of the best games of that era, and is a cult game (There are even books explaining the impact of the game). Its based on Umberto Eco's novel, The name of the Rose. Unfortunately, it didn't sell outside Spain, so it's not very well known.

I played the original game when I was a kid, and it was a blast, but (nostalgia apart) I don't think I'll get the same feelings with the remake. However, this remake is more a homage to the authors made by a few fans of the game in their free time, so I really appreciate their effort.

Look at the date for the OST DLC.

me0wish

Prefer real time not turn based. Not to much micromanage but enough to keep you involved. I quite enjoyed supreme commander and battle for middle earth and company of heroes

I thought Grey Goo is a great RTS, with some of the most fun ideas ever conceived in an RTS.

Solid gameplay.
Fun, unique and creative factions.
Good single player an interesting plot.
Graphics and art are outstanding.
soundtrack is pretty good.

Red Hood

Banned
First, we will be disallowing Steam “Family Sharing” accounts from queueing for Competitive playlists if they do not own a full copy of Rocket League. While this will not prevent determined players from using “alt accounts”, it will at least make it less trivial on PC.

Just to be sure my English reading skills aren't failing me, regular non-competitive modes will be playable as usual through Family Sharing, right?

Astrokill is out. $9.99, Early Access. Phawx posted some thoughts and GIFs a few threads back
http://store.steampowered.com/app/376880/
Yo guys! I am going to be putting up a vid later but ASTROKILL is legit! It is one fine ass space combat game. Hard as hell right now, but damn are there some close calls! The audio is excellent as well. It's got that monotonous female voice issues out warnings. Really clinches that imminent danger feeling. "Max velocity reached."

Here's me blasting and barely dodging a mid-sized ship as it's about to explode

2KBgPkO.gif

And here's me docking/refueling like a gat damn champ:

hHn9J8k.gif

It is more like Everspace or Elite Dangerous?
Haven't it played it yet, but from what I've read, it's focused on space combat with a realistic edge. Thruster control, momentum in zero-g, leading your targets, etc.

Phawx posted a bit about it yesterday in the Indie thread
The early alpha I played was really good, if a bit hard. It took all of 30 minutes for me to get the feel on flying correctly, which is very impressive to me. Most space combat games I've played feel very clunky, almost forklift-like. But the UI along with how the boosters and stuff worked made finessing the ship feel like an extension of my thoughts very quickly.

I'll give it another go when it launches to see what's different and post some more impressions.

The only thing I was concerned about was the difficulty ramp so early on.

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Puzzle Agent. Didn't have much expectations so it was quite good, very Twin Peaksy. Puzzles were quite easy, few challenging ones too but nothing extreme. Good mysterious atmosphere, interesting characters and
creepy gnomes

Salsa

Finished Puzzle Agent. Didn't have much expectations so it was quite good, very Twin Peaksy. Puzzles were quite easy, few challenging ones too but nothing extreme. Good mysterious atmosphere, interesting characters and
creepy gnomes

it's the best Telltale game

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well I was gonna sell cards for Hard Reset Redux but Valve wants me to use some stupid bullshit on my phone so fuck messing with cards ever again.

Dice

Took me like 20 minutes to sell all my cards yesterday
It's not about hassle of authenticating sales. I am against ever using my phone for some stupid bullshit not-security like this. I am never losing my Steam account because I'm not a dumbass. They already bug me enough begging me to get the mobile shit instead of displaying the store every couple days. This is just ridiculous. What's wrong with email authentication?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rocket League -- MB-09B954D477FE76C6 - Taken by derExperte. 23 entrants total.

t1464395210z1.png

It's not about hassle of authenticating sales. I am against ever using my phone for some stupid bullshit not-security like this. I am never losing my Steam account because I'm not a dumbass. They already bug me enough begging me to get the mobile shit instead of displaying the store every couple days. This is just ridiculous. What's wrong with email authentication?

What's wrong with email authentication is that people get their email accounts compromised. Probably because they used the same password for their Steam account which they also got compromised. Valve (and physical authenticators in general) go with the assumption that people who get their online credentials stolen are at least safe because there is one last security step of the physical authenticator.

On a more general note, I guess I just don't understand the "Fuck Valve" mentality when Valve imposes rules on Valve's marketplace that lets users sell Valve's digital nothings for real money. It's one thing to say that one would prefer a better implementation or better service or even a third party authenticator app, but just generally complaining about them adding security features seems rather silly.

Dice

What's wrong with email authentication is that people get their email accounts compromised. Probably because they used the same password for their Steam account which they also got compromised. Valve (and physical authenticators in general) go with the assumption that people who get their online credentials stolen are at least safe because there is one last security step of the physical authenticator.

On a more general note, I guess I just don't understand the "Fuck Valve" mentality when Valve imposes rules on Valve's marketplace that lets users sell Valve's digital nothings for real money. It's one thing to say that one would prefer a better implementation or better service or even a third party authenticator app, but just generally complaining about them adding security features seems rather silly.
They take a large cut off the top of those sales so it's not like they are selfless saints in providing the option. It's a genius scheme to generate more income from nowhere. My issue isn't dropping card sales, and I don't mind security, I just mind the heavy handed pushing to use one incredibly presumptive form of security upon me that uses a whole separate device from the one I use Steam on. I don't care if other people get compromised. I don't. I have never had anything "hacked" from me. I haven't had any sort of virus on any of my computers for 20 years. It is actually less secure to turn my phone, which I carry out everywhere in public instead of being locked at home, into some kind of security nexus for all my services like they all want.

Volimar

Anyone else on Alienware Twitch? This Brute guy seems pretty biased and petty.

Yeah, he was really the wrong choice to make a mod. You could teel even beforehand that he's one of those people that power goes to their head. Why give a friendly reminder when you can give a thinly veiled threat of a ban?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom