• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
yee haw
sQeX0Gp.png

shockdude

This seems to do the trick too. I usually hover between 85 and 95 fps, but when I enable vsync, limit frames rendered to 1 and set limiter in RivaTuner, it locks to 60 with drops as low as 45. Borderless Windowed keeps the fps up and eliminates the tearing. Anyone know the explanation behind this. (both are fine as the frame drops with vsync and frame limiter are rare and not too noticeable)
The issue with a framelimiter is that it can cause drops to be more noticeable and severe. Increasing pre-rendered frames may alleviate this somewhat at the cost of a little input lag.
Borderless Windowed ensures that incomplete frames are never drawn, which eliminates tearing with low input latency. However, since the framerate is not in sync with the monitor, borderless windowed can cause visible jittering and uneven motion.
VSync with a framelimiter will be perfectly smooth and it has similar input latency to borderless windowed from my experience. The perfect smoothness more than makes up for the occasional drop imo, but your experiences may vary.

MazeHaze

Banned
The issue with a framelimiter is that it can cause drops to be more noticeable and severe. Increasing pre-rendered frames may alleviate this somewhat at the cost of a little input lag.
Borderless Windowed ensures that incomplete frames are never drawn, which eliminates tearing with low input latency. However, since the framerate is not in sync with the monitor, borderless windowed can cause visible jittering and uneven motion.
VSync with a framelimiter will be perfectly smooth and it has similar input latency to borderless windowed from my experience. The perfect smoothness more than makes up for the occasional drop imo, but your experiences may vary.

Ah I see. Thanks for the info. I find the tinkering and tradeoffs so fascinating, and one of my favorite things about PC gaming. Technology is pretty neat!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
My girlfriend's response to getting Overwatch. "Yay, I get to be an ape and smash you".

It's a game that brings people together.

neonglow

Enjoy these Majesco extras

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neonglow, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Double Dragon: Neon -- MB-33F887B6276D6DCA - Taken by Menitta. 4 entrants total.
Avalanche 2: Super Avalanche -- MB-ADBF18363395A3D1 - Taken by stufte. 2 entrants total.
A Boy and His Blob -- MB-A351399F97C86333 - Taken by javadoze. 4 entrants total.

t1464413603z1.png

Double Dragon: Neon -- MB-33F887B6276D6DCA - Taken by Menitta - Taken by Menitta. 4 entrants total.
Avalanche 2: Super Avalanche -- MB-ADBF18363395A3D1 - Taken by stufte. 2 entrants total.
A Boy and His Blob -- MB-A351399F97C86333 - Taken by javadoze - Taken by javadoze. 4 entrants total.

Had to look twice at the bottom name! Thought our old friend had returned.

MazeHaze

Banned
How do you guys keep your spending in check with PC games? I've been a console gamer most of my life, but these past 2 months with a PC, I've probably spent over 200 dollars on about 100 games or so. The deals are just too good! I need to save money now, but some of these prices are just too good to pass up.

How do you guys keep your spending in check with PC games? I've been a console gamer most of my life, but these past 2 months with a PC, I've probably spent over 200 dollars on about 100 games or so. The deals are just too good! I need to save money now, but some of these prices are just too good to pass up.

At least for me the allure of sales kind of started to fade away and deals stopped looking as good. I generally buy bundles that have two or three games I'm interested in now, but besides that unless its something I really want to play I wait until it's 75% or more off. It turns out they usually get bundled first. Eventually you just kind of have all the old stuff if you're simply in to collecting stuff, so you stop spending money there too.

Lomax

The beginning is always the hardest to have restraint, every deal seems unbeatable and you don't have a strong library built up. After a bit you'll get a better sense of "gotta have it now" versus "it will be in another bundle later" and you'll control yourself more. And you'll see why some of us agonize over $5 purchases, because it's not like any given purchase is that much, but when you have an option to make a purchase like that every day, you eventually have to be more selective or you'll go broke. But enjoy yourself, in a couple years you'll miss the days when you looked forward to all the sales with such excitement :)

MazeHaze

Banned
The beginning is always the hardest to have restraint, every deal seems unbeatable and you don't have a strong library built up. After a bit you'll get a better sense of "gotta have it now" versus "it will be in another bundle later" and you'll control yourself more. And you'll see why some of us agonize over $5 purchases, because it's not like any given purchase is that much, but when you have an option to make a purchase like that every day, you eventually have to be more selective or you'll go broke. But enjoy yourself, in a couple years you'll miss the days when you looked forward to all the sales with such excitement :)

hahaha, yeah I guess it's already starting to get that way. Deals go up and I already own quite a few of the things I'm interested in. Kind of feels good to have a nice PC library though, even though I already have a giant console backlog.

And look at that, 300 posts! I can finally be a member!

Edit: I'd like to give away a steam code in honor of my 300th post. How do I go about doing this?

Lomax

hahaha, yeah I guess it's already starting to get that way. Deals go up and I already own quite a few of the things I'm interested in. Kind of feels good to have a nice PC library though, even though I already have a giant console backlog.

Everything gets cheaper over time (except rare price mistakes and certain bundles). But if you'll play something, never feel bad about paying what you want for it. Just know that eventually it will be cheaper, and that you'll almost certainly buy plenty of things that get cheaper long before you ever get around to playing them.

And look at that, 300 posts! I can finally be a member!

Edit: I'd like to give away a steam code in honor of my 300th post. How do I go about doing this?

Modbot

Eila

Soon enough you won't have shit to buy. Took me like a year and half of spending like 25-50 bucks a month mostly in bundle crap, but these days most bundles are filled with stuff I already own, so I have slowed down considerably.

MazeHaze

Banned
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MazeHaze, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Strider -- MB-F33B60CBD9E474DE - Taken by Sarcasm[/QUOTE]

Man I remember when I first started seriously gaming on PC like 3 years ago, it was amazing and every deal was insane.

Now the trickle of games on sale slows down, because I am no longer playing catch up on the games I missed the first time around.

You think it's bad now, wait until your first Steam Sale.

MazeHaze

Banned
Soon enough you won't have shit to buy. Took me like a year and half of spending like 25-50 bucks a month mostly in bundle crap, but these days most bundles are filled with stuff I already own, so I have slowed down considerably.

I can't wait for the day I can finally stop searching for deals! I'm envious of you vets, cheap PC games is a strange addiction indeed lol. Glad to give away games to fellow Gaffers! I love that we can all enjoy games and share things we don't need! This community is the best.

So, I'm going to be doing an Army of Tentacles giveaway soon. Probably twenty or so. It depends on the answer to this query:

Should I bribe GAF members with naming Systems after them in No Man's Sky for reviews?

And no, none of them will be Black GOAT Editions. I already said that I'm not giving away the DLC expansion.

BHK3

Banned
Is best buys GCU worth it if I don't buy new games within like a month of their release? I can just get new games from our B/S/T thread for the same price as what GCU offers if I really wanted them asap.

Sarcasm

Is best buys GCU worth it if I don't buy new games within like a month of their release? I can just get new games from our B/S/T thread for the same price as what GCU offers if I really wanted them asap.

Answered your own question.

Though since you have it available, you can get it sooner I guess. Not really a big deal.

MazeHaze

Banned

Nope. And if you game on PC mostly, I think you can get the majority of games on launch for 48 or below through GMG and similar places.

Edit: I guess I'll put this here, cuz I've been drinking, and why not. I've been a lurker for a looooong time here, but this place is great. If you're reading this, you're great. We're all a very passionate bunch of people, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Those that take from my giveaway will have a System named after them in No Man's Sky.

This should have been a raffle but whatever.

So yeah, the seven people that take from me my game shall get a System. The first thing I do in NMS will be to fly to different Systems and name them.

Obviously, you can leave a review of the game if you want.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HP_Wuvcraft, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

army of tentacles soundtrack bundle -- MB-46155C8B5F753D0A - Taken by Kiru
army of tentacles soundtrack bundle #2 -- MB-7F2CFD147BA3DFEC - Taken by spindoctor
army of tentacles soundtrack bundle #3 -- MB-9B3B229EBE169CA4 - Taken by kevin1025
army of tentacles soundtrack bundle #4 -- MB-50A14794E3203350 - Taken by sheaaaa
army of tentacles soundtrack bundle #5 -- MB-8C455D5EDE9E558E - Taken by yaron777
army of tentacles soundtrack bundle #6 -- MB-A21BA9F1F2B140AF - Taken by Ludens
army of tentacles soundtrack bundle #7 -- MB-F0B97FFA0B40C2D7 - Taken by ExoSoul

yaron777

Since I took a key from HP_Wuvcraft (thank you!), it's only fair that I give away a game as well. Hoping not everyone has this yet:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (yaron777, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rocket League -- MB-D9CD2279B0CA1742 - Taken by hohoXD123. 21 entrants total.

t1464429606z1.png

It's been a while since I gave away a game, so if something goes wrong, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom